View Poll Results: How would you rate 8 Diagrams?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Masterpiece

24 12.31%
  • 9 - Superior

39 20.00%
  • 8 - Banger

45 23.08%
  • 7 - Good

48 24.62%
  • 6 - Average

23 11.79%
  • 5 - Barely decent

5 2.56%
  • 4 - Boring

5 2.56%
  • 3 - Weak

4 2.05%
  • 2 - Weaker

0 0%
  • 1 - Wack

2 1.03%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams

SINCE EVERY OTHER WU ALBUM WAS A 8.5 - 10, THIS ALBUM OVERALL I GIVE A 8/10.
    CAMPFIRE, GET EM OUTCHA WAY,UNPREDICTABLE,WOLVES,GENTLY WEEPS,WEAK SPOT,AND SUNLIGHT ARE MY FAVORITES TO BUMP.
    THIS ALBIM DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH GHOST OR GZA FOR MY LIKING AND CAPPA AS USUALL WAS SUB PAR(IN HIS FEW APPEARENCES) METH WAS THE MVP ON THIS ALBUM AND GZA WAS THE DISAPPOINTMENT(BEING THAT HE'S MY FAV MEMBER)i MISS THE SONGS WHEN YOU KNEW GZA WAS GOING TO HAVE THE LAST VERSE AND WOULD KILL IT.
    -BY THE WAY ALTHOUGH THE IRON FLAG ALBUM WAS MORE OF A BUNCH OF HOT ASS SONGS INSTEAD OF OTHER ALBUMS FULL OF SKITS, I THINK IRON FLAG WAS STILL A BETTER ALBUM 8.5/10
    -THE W 8.5/10
    -36 CHAMBER 9.5/10
    -WUTANG FOREVER 10/10

8 diagrams took me some time because i was looking for Watch Your Mouth but it is still a banga
    everything is everything
    reality i keep my mind on everything
    cause everything aint always everything
    and everything that you see aint reality
    THEY JUST ILLUSIONS

I don't know why people got mad at this album. It seemed people either loved it or didn't at all. I wish the Q-Tip track and "Watch Your Mouth" had made it. ("Starter" could have been left on the floor and Mathematics didn't HAVE to take it down South with that "Stick Me For My Riches" beat.) And "You Can't Stop Me Now" should have stayed on this album, instead of being the only decent track in a sea of wackness on Digi Snacks.

My only problem - I KNOW RZA had better shit lying around somewhere that is better than the beats for "Get Them Out Your Way Pa" and "Rushing Elephants". They weren't bad, just probably not 2 of the best beats he had come up with since the last time we'd heard from him.

I've noticed that The W, an album I absolutely hated when it came out, has really grown on me while Iron Flag has fallen out of my favor. I think that is their worst now.

You can't compare anything to 36 Chambers, of course, so it goes: Forever > 8 Diagrams > The W (minus "Conditioner) > Iron Flag

13. Weak Spot
    The track is actually co-produced by one of Hollywood’s greatest movie-score composers but comes off as the dirtiest and most rugged joint on the whole album.

That's not true. It's co-produced by George Drakoulias. He's a producer who was a protege of Rick Rubin back in the day. The Beasties have a line about him on Paul's Boutique. He also co-produced "The Heart Gently Weeps" and "You Can't Stop Me Now".

1. Campfire - 5/5 - classic

2. Take It Back - 5/5 - classic

3. Get Them Out Ya Way Pa - 4/5 - slammin' - definite satisfaction

4. Rushing Elephants - 5/5 - classic

5. Unpredictable - 4.5/5 - superior

6. The Heart Gently Weeps - 5/5 - classic

7. Wolves - 5/5 - classic

8. Gun Will Go - 5/5 - classic

9. Sunlight - 5/5 - classic

10. Stick Me for My Riches - 4.5/5 - superior

11. Starter
    - 2.5/5 - average

12. Windmill - 5/5 - classic

13. Weak Spot - 5/5 - classic

14. Life Changes
    - 5/5 - classic

15. Tar Pit - 3/5 - good, worth checking out

16. 16th Chamber (ODB Special) - 5/5 - classic

overall: 4.5 - superior

My least favorite Wu album but it wuzz still pretty good.

I listened the retail version and the original version and man... Fuck the hate, this album is great. It just needs a bit more bass (Campfire has it though).

9/10

Veteran Member

"THIS ALBIM DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH GHOST OR GZA FOR MY LIKING"

Your trippin, GZA had 6 verses on the album making him on par with RZA, Deck, U-God & Masta Killa.

I can understand the negative reviews because it is a long way away from Enter, LS, OB4CL and such. IMO tho its a great if undoubtably flawed album. I think RZA may have been 'a bit naughty' with how he used the others, there is too much singing (though some of it is great), I personally dislike Sunlight and can't play Life Changes, and Ghost is in far too short a supply. On the positive there is Meth and Uey like giants (and everyone else in good form too), a rich haunting deep sound and some real killer bangers (Windmill, Weak Spot, Campfire). I rate Starter highly - fun to hear GZA doing something so different.

I hope it's not the last. If there is a next one someone probably needs to control the RZA a bit - though probably not too much.

Veteran Member

very dissapointing album. i expected alot more being that it was like 6 - 7 yrs since ironflag was release no cohesiveness. the videos were horrible. the cover to the cd look like some cheap mixtape. the beats where recycled, ex( weakspot, same drum as deadly melody, started, same drums as certified samurai etcc). the energy wasnt there. Just an all out bad album by the wu. I honestly cant see how any wu fan would like this album but yet amazingly some here call it great and even a masterpiece. I personally cant have an album grow on me. its either u like it or not.

After Iron Flag I wasn't expecting much. But I was actually surprised on first listen at how much better 8 Diagrams was. It's far from a classic in my mind, but still a great album that's really easy to listen to. Perhaps there's a bit too much singing, but it doesn't annoy me like it did on Iron Flag. Here's my ratings of the songs!

1. Campfire - 5/5 (just wish Meth didn't mention Justin Timberlake!)
    2. Take It Back - 5/5
    3. Get Them Out Ya Way Pa
    4. Rushing Elephants - 5/5
    5. Unpredictable - 4/5
    6. The Heart Gently Weeps - 3/5
    7. Wolves - 4.5/5
    8. Gun Will Go - 4/5
    9. Sunlight - 4/5
    10. Stick Me for My Riches - 3/5
    11. Starter - 2/5
    12. Windmill - 5/5
    13. Weak Spot - 4/5
    14. Life Changes - 2/5
    15. Tar Pit - 3/5
    16. 16th Chamber (ODB Special) - 2/5

Sorry to bring this thread out from the depths, but I love this album..Listened to it all day, and just finally appreciate its sound and what RZA has achieved. U-God gave some of his best performances ever..some of the bass lines on this album are subtle but awesome. Rushing Elephants has gotta be one of the most under rated wu songs of all time.

I give 36 chambers and Forever 10/10 and relative to those albums, for me this is like an 8.5.
    It's the god, god.

Listenin' 2 it right now - gets better and better with each year. So much goin' on in these beats... damn... their 3rd best 4 me without a doubt.

Death Poet

couldn't agree more. Production is off the hook on this

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Does any body know what the sample is at the beginning of Gun Will Go? It sounds like they are saying peanut butter.