Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article on Mangani

Thumbs up Article on Mangani

ARTICLE FROM WWW.BLACKTINO.NET

Mangani of the Jungle, for Mayor?
    Celebrity Buzz Exclusives
    Written by Lynx Garcia - Blacktino.net Contributor
    Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Mickey Angel Couvertier Pizarro, also known as Mangani, reggaeton/Latin hip hop artist was born in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico to parents who were from Loiza P.R. and he was raised in San Jose, California. The Pizarro family was a musically inclined family, and at the ripe age of 4, Mangani's father made him sing at church.
    When he was 8 years old, he began to rap to the very same songs. It wasn't till the age of 13, he would truly consider himself a rapper. When Mangani turned 15, his family moved back to Puerto Rico and he graduated high school in Loiza. I asked Mangani, where on earth did he come up with the name Mangani, and I also asked, if it had any meaning. He took a deep breath and began to explain:

" Many figures from Loiza have been nicknamed Mangani, like Sammy Fuentes the boxer. It's from the Tarzan novels, but became popular in Loiza in the 70's, as a term meaning "crazy," or used to describe kids who did "jungle" things, like climb palm trees, snorkel for lobster, surf, go crabbing, digging for clams, playing congas, etc. The history, the meaning compared to how I grew up in Loiza, I used to climb palm trees for coconuts, I used to make vejigante masks, fish for lobster, crabs, conch, dig for clams…I was a jungle dude…Mangani. I had a friend that I distinctly recall calling me that who was killed by another friend of mine, and for some reason I kept remembering a conversation I had with him, in which he said his older brother and I were "Mangani," because we did all those things and I just stuck in my head."

I secretly smiled to myself and I laughed, because I recalled looking at his picture for the first time, and I was a little taken back. I had expected the usual studio photo shoot picture, but what I found instead, was a man with his mouth open wide, as if he were screaming or wailing and in the background. You could see the sun struggling to break out of dark clouds and treetops, green hued leaves all around and I had thought to myself "Y este loco?" (And this nut?). But once I heard his explanation, and I recalled his style and delivery and the lyrical content of his hit single "Mangani Puneta," the name suited him just fine.

There is a line in this particular song that I love, "Yo le tiro al la calle lo que la calle pide" (What I put out in the streets is what the streets ask for). What exactly are the streets asking for, Mangani?

" Well, the streets I'm referring to, is the "Cacos" that I know, the streets I grew up on, and the veteran artists that I know, as well as fans that tell me what they like from me and what they don't like from me. They want truth. They want music that makes sense and makes them think. They don't want to hear love stories, novelas de cuernos, [bedroom drama] singing, nice thinly plucked eyebrows, glittery and shiny shirts, etc. Personally, I feel "reggaeton" has been hijacked by metrosexuals, and the "Caco" culture is being suppressed. I want to bring back that appeal. They want "black" music to sound "black."

Speaking of race and color Mangani, what ethnicity do you consider yourself?

" Black, Afro-Boricua, Afro-Antillano, Boricua, Afro-Latino, Latino, Blacktino, he says as he laughs, "all of the above."

I asked him what his educational background was. He let me know that he did not go to college, but he did receive all of his training in the military, first in Intelligence and Electronic Systems Repair and later as a Biomedical Engineer.

" I have manufacturer certifications on specific equipment, and by the end of this year should have at least one acronym behind my name. So no standard "higher education," but in my defense I do read a lot. LOL!"

Hmmm, a Biomedical Engineer? I almost had to look it up, but he explained that it was just a fancy word for someone who fixes medical equipment. He also shared with me that, he has been volunteering for trips to South America (right now, Ecuador) to train technicians there, collect and test donated equipment, help them organize their departments, etc.

" Part of my Biomedical Engineering work has lately been charitable. The company I work for, Trimedx, is owned by a non-profit organization, Ascension Health, which is the largest Catholic Health Organization in the U.S. Trimedx owns the Trimedx Foundation, which is a non-profit org that helps other non-profits on missions around the world, in healthcare equipment management. I am currently the lead tech for Ecuador.

In Ecuador we are supporting the Timmy Foundation, a group formed by medical students, which provide medical aid to different countries, and together we are helping out La Fundacion Tierra Nueva (New World Foundation), which has a 50 bed hospital (Instituto Medico Tierra Nueva) and is currently building a 150 bed hospital in Quito Sur, the poorest area of the capital Quito. To put things in perspective, a 50 bed hospital in the US serves a community of about 5,000 people, and a 150 bed hospital serves communities of 10,000-30,000 along with smaller support hospitals in the area. The hospitals in Quito serve a population of 700,000, and are the only affordable hospitals in the area.
    My work there consists of training technicians in repair and maintenance of medical equipment, organization of the department, equipment and parts procurement, and advising the administrative staff. I will be going on my second trip in July, and due to the success of our last trip, this next trip will be filmed almost entirely."

I wondered what a hood healing reggeatonero would aspire to in his already bright future. The answer shouldn't have surprised me, but it did. What else but to run for Mayor of Loiza, Puerto Rico in 2012.

"This is something I have wanted since I was 16 years old, when I was involved in the political campaigns of then PPD (Partido Popular Democratico) candidate for Governor Hector Luis Acevedo, and then PPD candidate for Mayor of Loiza, Eddie de Jesus. I noticed major flaws in both their campaigns (and due to my age and inexperience, I was ignored), and in their messages. I have since adopted the political ideologies of people like Dr. Pedro Albizu Campos, and if given the party's blessing, I wish to run as a Partido Nacionalista de Puerto Rico candidate (first ever in Loiza)."

Why not? All things are possible and this young man certainly has his ear and voice to the street (Cacos), to the community that influences his music. If you pay attention to his lyrics, he is in tune with the struggles and concerns of the people, and he utilizes his knowledge to empower those less fortunate. I cannot wait to see the world's first reggeatonero/rapper, run for office and pursue a political career. This is going to be muy interesante (very interesting), not to mention historical. I will keep you informed.

And now for the question from Blacktino.net's Editor: "How can we continue to raise the consciousness of the African Diaspora and understanding our commonalities within the African-American, Afro-Latino & Latino communities, with the intent of bridging the gap and 'Building Ethnic Unity?'"

" I believe there has to be a higher level of exposure of the reality of Afro-Latinos. We have to reclaim our music, expose others to our culture, and just educate, educate, educate. I believe there has to be an open dialogue, and we should be included in these African-American gatherings that discuss the "state of the black union," etc. We have to make others aware of our contributions to society, including informing African-Americans about the Afro-Latino contributions to Civil Rights and Hip Hop. There are conferences, meetings, websites, etc. about African-American society and Latin American society, but neither can join as the "one" people we truly are, until "us" in the middle unite. I think we are the glue that holds these communities together, but we are neither recognized nor appreciated. Blacks attack Latinos; Latinos attack blacks…what about us, who are both? You can't have cohesion between two "different" cultures, until the similarities are truly exposed, and we are the bread and butter of those similarities."

There is so much more to Mangani and many more facts about his history in the underground music scene, such as his collabo with Rza and his one time partner in the rap game La Sister, and of course his brother Dj Tito, who is his producer and right hand man. Be sure to stop by Mangani's MySpace page, to read up on his bio and listen to his music, and show him some love and support.

www.blacktino.net

Right on.
    Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    i hope you die tonight faggit.

The article was good and healthy for the brain

its good to see people move in their own direction
    BEZ
    Peace To New York

Quote Originally Posted by SG View Post
    The article was good and healthy for the brain

its good to see people move in their own direction
    -That's some good feedback. Thanks for checkin it out!

I did forget to ask another question from that article...

When will that transition take place?
    BEZ
    Peace To New York

Quote Originally Posted by SG View Post
    I did forget to ask another question from that article...

When will that transition take place?
    What transition?

Quote Originally Posted by WuLatino- MANGANI View Post
    ARTICLE FROM WWW.BLACKTINO.NET

Mangani of the Jungle, for Mayor?
    Celebrity Buzz Exclusives
    Written by Lynx Garcia - Blacktino.net Contributor
    Tuesday, 24 June 2008

I wondered what a hood healing reggeatonero would aspire to in his already bright future. The answer shouldn't have surprised me, but it did. What else but to run for Mayor of Loiza, Puerto Rico in 2012.

"This is something I have wanted since I was 16 years old, when I was involved in the political campaigns of then PPD (Partido Popular Democratico) candidate for Governor Hector Luis Acevedo, and then PPD candidate for Mayor of Loiza, Eddie de Jesus. I noticed major flaws in both their campaigns (and due to my age and inexperience, I was ignored), and in their messages. I have since adopted the political ideologies of people like Dr. Pedro Albizu Campos, and if given the party's blessing, I wish to run as a Partido Nacionalista de Puerto Rico candidate (first ever in Loiza)."
    What transition?
    Whats in red?

Well, I don't know what you mean by "transition"... I intend to run as me. I am a professional and I am well known in Loiza. I don't understand what you are referring to as a "transition". If you are asking when I will start campaigning, probably some time in 2010-2011, but I am already paying my dues politically.

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

Yo Mangani, how many albums has Wu-Latino as a group has released??!

Well, I don't know what you mean by "transition"... I intend to run as me. I am a professional and I am well known in Loiza. I don't understand what you are referring to as a "transition". If you are asking when I will start campaigning, probably some time in 2010-2011, but I am already paying my dues politically.
    You answered the question. I will get back to you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccabee Ridah View Post
    Yo Mangani, how many albums has Wu-Latino as a group has released??!
    Wu Latino is not a group, it's a record label, and they've put out 2 mixtapes *rolls eyes* in the past 3.5 years...

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

^^ Ahh, kk....

Thanx....

P.E.A.C.E.

AMERICAN BORICUA KILLABEE

What's a nacionalist to put to be straight forward anti-americans on the island that don't support america but do like there money and name brand toys a lot.basicaly puerto rican communist who share ideas with cuban communist on the island and dominican republicans.ppd the main group responsable for stealing millions of american dollars that were intended for the fixing up of schools,to help drug addicted youth and aids victims,education etc.and who constently blame or attack the pnp partido nuevo progresista pro american party fighting for are rights and democracy (quote me on this the only democracy the puerto rican people know and will ever know) fighting to be the 51st state of the united states of america a country that has given us a lot enough for these asshole to steal and make themselves rich at the same time there in office.and the only way we can say thank you is by expressing that we want puerto rico to become a state since spain turned over puerto rico to the united states of america.town know as (el pueblo de los negritos) a community who population consist of majority of black spanish speaking citisens.decendents of slaves who were brought here from africa during the negro slave trade by the spanish from spain.the true inhabitants of the island of puerto rico or boriquen are the taino indians who fought against the spanish and the carib indians(tribe of cannibal indians that lived in the caribeans and navigated its islands). By hector laboy alvarado jr.

He's asking you the transition between you being a ppd and becoming a nationalist.

Fucken anti-american comunist motherfuckers
    no se muelde la mano que te alimenta.