Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wu be gone: RZA Too Much Of A Businessman To Consider Another Wu-Tang Album

miha

Default Wu be gone: RZA Too Much Of A Businessman To Consider Another Wu-Tang Album

title taken from idolator.com

full article taken from canada.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rza is own master

Wu-Tang Clan mastermind goes beyond hip-hop

If there's one man who knows if the nine-man Wu-Tang Clan will ever reunite for another rap album, it is its leader, producer and driving force, The Rza.

The man born Robert Diggs 38 years ago won't say a reunion won't happen, but is honest about his reluctance to work again with Method Man, Ghostface Killah, GZA, Raekwon, U-God, Inspectah Deck and Masta Killa. The group's other member, the Ol' Dirty Bastard, died in 2004.

"I don't know, really, to tell you the truth," Rza says. "Wu-Tang is forever, I think, and we'll be making the same sounds, whether we make it together or separately. But as far as making an album together, I don't know.

"I wouldn't want to get into a business relationship with the Wu-Tang Clan because it hurt my business, Universal Music's business, the record business. It hurt a lot of people when they wouldn't show up for music videos, for press. It (wastes) a lot of people's money. A lot of people got fired -- the guys don't even know how many people got fired because of them.

"That's just not good business, and I'm a businessman. I need to keep my name clean, so I can go anywhere in the world and do anything and people know there's professionalism behind it."

The Rza (pronounced "Riz-ah") has worked hard to build up his professional profile over the past 20 years. With his lean, gritty, lo-fi production style, he banded together nine disparate New York rappers under the umbrella of The Wu-Tang Clan, promising to conquer the hip-hop world if they gave him total control of their careers. Conquer they did, with their 1993 debut album Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), which shifted the sonic landscape of rap from Dr. Dre's polished West coast G-funk to the gritty, sample-heavy sounds out east.

As each Wu-Tang member gained notoriety, they stepped out for solo records, Rza often producing for them to great success. But around 2000, he suddenly stopped producing for his bandmates, and each of them briefly struggled.

"I didn't want to stop," Rza says, "it's just those guys didn't understand the music, the studio process. They wanted to make waves into their own worlds. Someone was always asking me to help them do their own thing. And at the time, my mom had passed away, and suddenly, there was nobody for me to make proud. Ambition just fell away. It was like, 'who cares?'

"So I ended up giving the guys all their contracts back and told them to make their own decisions over how they wanted to make their music. And I would be available for those who wanted me to be available. But I was going to do things 50-50. . . So it was just a business decision to help them all get started."

Then Rza began another career path. In 1999, he got an unexpected call from filmmaker Jim Jarmusch (Dead Man, Broken Flowers), who wanted him to score his movie, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. That soon led to another call from Quentin Tarantino and, suddenly, he had gone from "rapper/ producer" to "film composer."
    "I got a call from Jim Jarmusch and he said he was inspired by us, and he wanted me to compose all of Ghost Dog," Rza says. "We became buddies. And then the soundtrack became critically acclaimed.
    "So when Kill Bill was coming out, Quentin Tarantino called me up and said, 'I've never had a composer before, and I want you to do it. And I want you to produce the soundtrack.' And he knew I understood what he was trying to do. He might have been able to find a better composer, but he wouldn't have found someone who understood a martial arts movie better. And so he got a composer and I got credibility."
    It's around this time he says he made the mental switch from being a DJ to being a musician.

"As a DJ, you hear something that's dope but you don't know what it is, you don't know what musical notes those are," he says. "So you've got to sample or scratch it. But now as a musician, I can hear something in my head, or I can listen to an old record and I can assimilate it by creating an original sound. I can make it my own thing. That's the difference these days.

"Two things happened that changed it for me. One time, I was in a record store and a guy came up and said he was disappointed in me. He said, 'You're putting a lot of people out of work by using samples and drum machines, because we're real musicians.' And I was like, 'Get the f--- out of here,' but I understood what he meant.

"And then when the (sampling) started getting crazy -- like the horn player on this sample's gotta get paid, the guitar player's gotta get paid -- and they sue you but pay the lawyers and not the musicians. . . well, that's just not fair. It made me start sampling less and start using real musicians more."

So, for his latest solo record -- Digisnax, out this week -- Rza employed a number of musicians to help him create the right sound.
    "Digisnax sounds like it has a lot of sampling, but it doesn't," he says. "We just learned more techniques and learned to incorporate them into the sound."

Digisnax will be the second album under Rza's alter-ego, Bobby Digital, a fictional character he debuted in 1998 that he says allows him to express himself in a different, perhaps more creative way.

"Bobby Digital is a character I developed about 10 years ago as a way to express things in my life that I could no longer perform," he says. "It was a way to escape the pressures of being the Rza -- by being Bobby Digital I could act, rap, dress in a way that the Rza wouldn't.

"The Rza is a grown man and he wouldn't act that way, Bobby Digital is the kid inside him. I think of myself as Tom Hanks in Big, Bobby lets me do little kid things in a grown man's body."

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Now this sux.

But somehow, it was a suspect for some time now.
    bring back begongo!!

some of the things he's saying are true though, why the fuck would you not support your own group and instead bad-mouth it and totally fuck up the promotion??
    ok, so they didn't like the sound - fair enough, but then don't get the fuck on the song in the first place.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post

"I wouldn't want to get into a business relationship with the Wu-Tang Clan because it hurt my business, Universal Music's business, the record business. It hurt a lot of people when they wouldn't show up for music videos, for press. It (wastes) a lot of people's money. A lot of people got fired -- the guys don't even know how many people got fired because of them.
    So keep on concentrating all the hate on RZA
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

they coulda blown up big with 8 diagrams and made it stronger effort on the other hand but at the same time they didn't even wanna support it or even do videos it was the whole rae/ghost situtation so i cannot blame rza they gotta prove on a business level that they are willing to do what it takes as a group we gotta remember music is business 1st music second

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

Damn, this shyt sux really bad.....

Fuck business...... Wu-Tang 4ever.....

It's like he 4got how he was starting with all in together now, and was developing with wu, and now when he has his millionaire life, he just fuck off all of that....

Damn, it's like it is not the same rza, it's like there is fuckin 90s rza & onwards rza...

Fuck it, he should stick his fuckin pride in his ass, and start doin it wit wu again.....

Damn, they r all just bunch of fuckin rich-ass niggaz dissin each other and wanting all money just 4 them, and don't fuckin realizing what fanz vote.....

He said it is bad 4 him to have business relationship with clan,a nd one reason is that they do not show and some jerkz got fired.... And he wanna show everywhere in world, and ppl think - WOW THERE IS RZA PRO!!!! He wants to keep his name clean...?!?!?!?!?!

Than nigga, stuck ur fuckin pride in ur fuckin ass, sit back on ur roland mv, make fuckin beats like those from 90s, get together fuckin generals, get in fuckin beez, produce album along with bronze, 4th, mathematics, true master and all those fuckerz, and do not bring fagz like dexter, so u will have much more money and better business than tryin to make eureka and invent fuckin new fag-hip-hop style....

Peace....................
    -suuuuu///

That is fucked up. Its no secret that Universal dropped cash in advance for everyone and they go and fuck it up. Bunch of stupid people with money. Most of the Clan are great rappers but ignorant at doing business and they have an attitude to boot. These guys have no idea that there is also a business component and by not promoting the album they burned a bridge with a major label. RZas ideas is what got them to where they are today, to not trust his vision towards the future and burn bridges with Labels is quite possibly the dumbest possible outcome.

What is really sad is that in a few years when they realize they have no options left, and believe me this will happen, thats when they are all going to be ohh wu tang wu tang lets do it. These guys could be making a killing but they cant show any dedication to what really matters. Make wu albums, do publicity, tour around the world = happy fans = non stop money. As soon as I heard the story about them not showing up for the American Gangster premier, I knew that they had no idea how bad they were fucking up by letting big opportunities go by.

Mauling Panda's Rampage Dominus Santorini's Avatar

I considered Wu-Tang Clan as we know it over after Iron Flag came out. It was pretty clear it was done. If they weren't all childhood friends they would have disbanded, but everyone knows or at least should know that many of them have been friends since they were elementary age (U God, Raekwon, Rza, Cappadonna for instance).

I'm just happy they record together once in awhile and still make their own music. It's unfortunate that INS is nearly retired or will be in semi-retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    some of the things he's saying are true though, why the fuck would you not support your own group and instead bad-mouth it and totally fuck up the promotion??
    ok, so they didn't like the sound - fair enough, but then don't get the fuck on the song in the first place.
    deck recorded his verse for unpredictable on just the thug world loop. rza went and added the wacky guitars and mr. wiggles' chorus later in the recording process. likewise, ghost, rae, and meth recorded their verses to the jimmy ponders sample, not the rootsy baduism version you hear on the album, so forgive them if rza said "trust me" and they did.

and the real question isn't "why wouldn't they support the album?" it's "why would rza put out an album with wu-tang's name on it without the consent of wu-tang?" kinda fucked up when there are prominent members asking you to delay the album because they know ahead of time it's not the album fans wanted but rza ignored that in order to get the album in stores for the holiday shopping season.

more akbar

I honestly think that 8 diagrams didnt do well because ghostface and raekwon badmouthed it, but later rae did go on to cosign it, nobody talks about that, he said that he cosigns it but it could've been stronger. I also think the reason it got bad reviews was because people weren't really paying attention to the music and ghost's comments about it were swirling in their minds. Thats sad what rza said about not doing another wu album, that'll be devastating to me and to probably a whole lot of people, he shouldn't do that, but what he said is true, the members should have shown to the video, what else were they doing, shooting bullshit ass videos like we celebrate and featuring on some bitch remix of cream, that's bull, props to gza for showing, iunno wut was up with the others. If they do another clan album, I think it'll not be looked at as great unless it transcends what 36 chambers did or wut wu-forever did, the last 3 albums were great, but because they were in the shadow of those 2 monsters, they were considered as lack luster, and those coming from some other group would be looked at as great achievements i think. If Dirty was still alive everything would probably be different, that guy was true he would kept the clan together because everyone liked him, i guess when dirty died that is truly when the clan died as well, they can keep saying wu-forever , but that's like saying tupacs still alive.

Rza said it. I will never completely forgive Rae, and Ghost for what they did. They defocated all over the name Wu tang, and that is unforgivable! I don't care who was right, and who was wrong, they were WAY out of line! I hope they are proud of themselves for getting all those people fired, and making their whole group a joke to the average rap music fan. I hope it was worth it. Wait. It couldn't have been worth it. They acheived NOTHING by doin what they did. Not to mention looking like whiny bitches to the whole world. By airing out the Wu's dirty laundry, they lost respect from a lot of their own fans. Straight bitch move!

Its dumb. 8D was a solid performance and the hype was good going up to the release, but then they start talking shit public and not doing publicity or showing up for video recordings etc.

Thats just dumb on their behalf. They got the money upfront and then pissed on the thing. Very smart idea. These guys even put minimum time in the studio. The two members that put the most studio time where mef and rza with rza being there 100% of the time.

I cant really blame RZA. He was the one who got Universal to give them a chance because he is the one with the connections, so of course when these idiots take some of the cash and then dont promote thats going to create problems and make you look bad. They shot themselves in the foot because now major labels are going to think twice before funding any of their projects.

Ghost, Rae and whomever else are dumb. Vert talented at rapping but very dumb as far as business goes. Thats why their careers have only gone down. One wants neptunes and kanye to do wu tang and the other wants to do a wu album without the Rza...neither one has the brains to sit down and realize where the money for that is going to come from. Those two really lost me as a fan.

agreed with the earlier post...watch ghost and rae be all like the world needs wu tang blah blah blah when they run out of money and have no label to back them up. shit rae has no label right now and def jam dropping ghost will happen in the not too distant future.

I'm The Master MingLuKhan Ya_Bane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maccabee Ridah View Post
    Damn, this shyt sux really bad.....

Fuck business...... Wu-Tang 4ever.....

It's like he 4got how he was starting with all in together now, and was developing with wu, and now when he has his millionaire life, he just fuck off all of that....

Damn, it's like it is not the same rza, it's like there is fuckin 90s rza & onwards rza...

Fuck it, he should stick his fuckin pride in his ass, and start doin it wit wu again.....

Damn, they r all just bunch of fuckin rich-ass niggaz dissin each other and wanting all money just 4 them, and don't fuckin realizing what fanz vote.....

He said it is bad 4 him to have business relationship with clan,a nd one reason is that they do not show and some jerkz got fired.... And he wanna show everywhere in world, and ppl think - WOW THERE IS RZA PRO!!!! He wants to keep his name clean...?!?!?!?!?!

Than nigga, stuck ur fuckin pride in ur fuckin ass, sit back on ur roland mv, make fuckin beats like those from 90s, get together fuckin generals, get in fuckin beez, produce album along with bronze, 4th, mathematics, true master and all those fuckerz, and do not bring fagz like dexter, so u will have much more money and better business than tryin to make eureka and invent fuckin new fag-hip-hop style....

Peace....................
    -suuuuu///

The rest of the Clan fucked up, not RZA
    http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31674&dateline=119438  0796

currently playing on Rza's iPod:

"Slippin" - DMX

why would rza release the final wu-tang album if most of wu-tang wasn't satisfied with it and publicly asked him to delay it in order to rework it?

more akbar