Thread: U-God on Rumble

JRoll

Default U-God on Rumble

In the first verse when he says: "Untouchable chunk of ?air, wax and soul?
    Soundwaves slay out the back, ?cave? smoke
    My belly-full prance dance, avalanche quote
    Down slope, elegant as Fantasia
    Killer whale tale inhale, black male from Asia
    All out the wood works, hood shirts and wizards
    No match, unhatch, the rap is rigid
    In the shaft, shotty cop, hip hop to the limit
    Nightwatch, pad mark
    Sparks spin a quake nuclear blast, heavy on the cash
    Gimmie what it takes NOW!!"

What the hell does this mean?

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

"And Then Baby U...He A Psychopathic...He A Psychopathic Thinker"

--Method Man

If I was to guess...
    I would say he is talking about "The Apocalypse" ? hence the tittle of the track.
    The end of the world in his own language if you like ?

You need to REALLY study U-God to understand his rhyme patterns ect...

Hope that helps.

JRoll

Yeah I kind of figured it had to be something with the end of the world or a huge tragedy but trying to find out exactly what he means is a challenge.

U-God's rhymes remind me of a picasso painting.

Unique but the sense is in there.
    You are probabally looking at it the wrong way.
    Doing it line for line is almost impossible.
    As working out where the lines seperate is a challenge in itslef.

It's like looking at an unfinnished jigsaw puzzle from afar...
    It looks complete...
    But when you get closer it becomes blurry.

Try checking some of his other verses and you might get where I'm comming from.

PEACE

he's mostly describing himself and his rhymes

JRoll

Quote Originally Posted by whers View Post
    U-God's rhymes remind me of a picasso painting.

Unique but the sense is in there.
    You are probabally looking at it the wrong way.
    Doing it line for line is almost impossible.
    As working out where the lines seperate is a challenge in itslef.

It's like looking at an unfinnished jigsaw puzzle from afar...
    It looks complete...
    But when you get closer it becomes blurry.

Try checking some of his other verses and you might get where I'm comming from.

PEACE
    Yeah I think that's what I'm doing wrong. Because sometimes he doesn't finish his sentences on one line, he continues them onto the next. And I'm guilty as charged with what you said, reading it line from line. The problem is is that some of his verses I can read and understand right off the bat, and others i have to look at it a good 3-4 times before I know what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by JRoll View Post
    Yeah I think that's what I'm doing wrong. Because sometimes he doesn't finish his sentences on one line, he continues them onto the next. And I'm guilty as charged with what you said, reading it line from line. The problem is is that some of his verses I can read and understand right off the bat, and others i have to look at it a good 3-4 times before I know what's going on.
    I have the same problem with Ghostface...
    I struggle with his rhymes a lot compared to any of the others from The Clan.

Don't worry your not the only one...

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45413
    Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 06-28-2008 at 10:10 PM.

JRoll

Yeah Ghost spits some weird shit too. I gotta admit though like when I really check out a couple lines, and I understand what he says, it sounds so brilliant when it's put together. But you wouldn't know it if you were listeneing to the album casually. I guess that helps the replay value a bit. But I did hear about this one time, I think it was before the Mr. Xcitement launch that Uey said back then he never spoke in sentences. And honestly if you listen to some tracks on Mr. Xcitement you can see what he means. However that doesn't mean back then he was terrible. In fact I think back then he wa sin his rawest form. He always says on how RZA fucked him over, but the record did sell Gold, and I think it is really good. At least he had enough promotion to get Gold, wereas Mr. Xcitement I don't think anybody heard about outside the Wu-Tang fans.

Yeah ghost is ridiculous with the slang...I think TAURO said it best when he mentioned
    That Ghostface made a critical call in creating his rhymes style :
    That it would be intertwined and layered...
    And so causing the listener to go back and listen to the tracks again and again.
    As you put it..."Replay Value"
    Although I find it strange because I really feel Raekwon
    But I can understand most of what he is saying...
    Even on some crazy level like "Wu-Banga 101"
    I find it easier to break down compared to Ghost.
    As for U-God I think regarding RZA fucking him over and giving him wack beats ect...
    I don't really agree...U-God in my opinion is the hardest Clan member to cater for...
    Sure you could give him some serious bass and thumping beats so he could stomp
    But that's not gonna survive through out an entire album.
    I actually dig the beats on there and RZA diddn't produce the whole thing.
    And I definatly agree about the sentence thing.
    Cappadonna & The Robot Tank spring to mind with this style also.

PEACE

JRoll

Yeah I agree with the bass part. It goes well with Uey's voice. But the problem I think Uey has is his hooks. I mean he has maybe one or two good hooks, but the rest are kinda just...blah. Like on Dat's Gangsta "Rooooocccckkkkkkkk...Dat's Gangsta...What?!!" It's like ok lol. And I totally agree with Raekwon. I'll say this though, probably my favorite member to listen to as far as rhyme style is GZA, because of his less is more deal and how he incorporates words and phrases that give you different meanings. It's always fun to listen to one line in the song and there is two different meanings behind it.

Cool

Lamont uses abstract rhyme skills in most of his verses, Although it's subjective, you really have to write rhymes and have a quick wit to see what he's going on about...

each line has a point and case...here's the breakdown for ya'll -

'Untouchable chunk of air, wax and soul?'
    He's saying he's untouchable and that he's got soul.

'Soundwaves slay out the bat cave smoke
    '
    His sound comes out a cave, the smoke is just a visual image he tries to give ya.

'My belly-full prance dance, avalanche quote'
    belly full dance prance is just a wordplay line to rap with avalanche...cos he wants us to see that his quote's have heavy verbal weight.

'Down slope, elegant as Fantasia'
    down slope is put in cos it makes ya think of snow, which links back to avalanche. he goes on to say he's elegant as the disney film fantasia.

'Killer whale tale inhale, black male from Asia
    '
    wordplay here again, he's just saying he's a blackman from asia with a killer tale he wants you to inhale (or take in mentally)

'All out the wood works, hood shirts and wizards'
    He's saying that he's giving his full effort and is showing us his style and intellectual ability.

'No match, unhatch, the rap is rigid in the shaft,'
    he's saying you aint no match for his style. 'unhatch' means that he has'nt even opened up and let loose yet. 'rap is ridid' is just a cool phrase that rolls off the tongue..he puts in shaft to rhyme with the other words and to lead on to the next line.

'shotty cop, hip hop to the limit'
    the cop relates back to shaft, then he's just stating he only lives for hip-hop.

'Nightwatch, pad mark, Sparks spin a quake'
    this is really abstract, he isnt really saying anything here, he's just switching up his style and rhyming words that have similar syllable patterns, the best way to decipher this line is to describe the thought process...nightwatch (at night), pad mark (writing rhymes), sparks spin a quake (his mental thoughts generate quake related rhymes)..thats about the best i can do..

'nuclear blast, heavy on the cash, gimmie what it takes now'
    he's carrying on the abstract shyt here. he's basically saying his rhymes are like a nuclear blast, he likes to spend cash and he'll do whatever it takes to keep on writing lyrical fire...

my explanation might mean fuck all to you but i've listened to wu for 10 years and write vast amounts of rhymes so i just think about the way i write rhymes and think about what other rappers think about when writing theirs....anthropology at it's best bitches....
    Last edited by KERZO; 07-13-2008 at 06:00 AM.