Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

The ABBOTT

Some hard to find CDs have become beyond expensive. For example, check out a lot of those old No Limit CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    Some hard to find CDs have become beyond expensive. For example, check out a lot of those old No Limit CD's.
    this surprises me too (just like the Big Time album you mentioned). I have lots of these, they were available by the dozens in Europe, even the names that didn't ring a bell at all. good distribution. clearly albums that sold well on the strength of the name of their record label (think Death Row too). what I did know was that the very early NL albums had gotten expensive, like for instance King George, you know the guys that got thrown off the label before No Limit grew big

NL put out so much that I still have I'd say only half or so of their album, but I do own the other half on burned CDrs. up to a certain point in the late 2000s this way I'd say I have the full catalog
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

I have seen a trend recently with some the price of rap CD's skyrocketing in price. Not sure of the reason, another example, I was looking to add some of De La Soul's catalog to my collection and the prices of their earlier albums where eye opening.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    Best Buy and Target don't sell them anymore because people are streaming. I was on Ebay the other day and I was surprised that they're b/w $14-$20.

I got rid of my cassette tapes years ago. Most were radio recorded but once YouTube came into play, I tossed them. I have over 60 CDs at home and lately, I've been ripping them into MP3.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

The ABBOTT

It's a hobby for me. I have a collection of CD's. I not sure the exact amount. Last time I counted it was between 500 to 600. This is all rap music, mostly from 1985-2005. Something about the physical copy, liner notes, photos/artwork, shout out's/thank you's, who produced and what was sampled I am enticed by. I started doing when I was young and kept with over the years.

^^same here with the collecting, I like the booklets with all of the info and photographs

my last new tape I bought was actually of a rap group in Audiobooth, Basement Dwellaz, 'Party in a pyramid'

https://basementdwellaz.bandcamp.com...y-in-a-pyramid

I see it's been three years already. how time flies. good tape btw!

@ Ironman, in what music genres are your CDs?
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

I don't think there is anywhere to even buy new CD's where I live, except a few mom and pop local record stores that might carry a select few. I do miss the days of CD shopping at places like Sam Goody, Best Buy, Circuit city. Plus having BMG and Columbia house to buy through the mail. The last vehicle I bought didn't even come with the standard CD player. It is a dying format.

all record stores here in a city of about 250,000 people have closed, except for one French franchise's multimedia store and two niche shops (heavy metal/hard rock & hiphop) I know of. there used to be days when I visited 6 to 7 music stores that carried all formats, including one excellent small shop that sold second hand only and under the counter bootlegs. and that was just the city center, a radius of about ten blocks. there were others in the suburbs as well.

I saw these shops gradually disappear between 2005 and 2015. the first ones to go were those in the suburbs
    Retired.

I have a collection of about a couple of hundred original CDs & tapes that I put on the highest, hardest to reach shelf in my living room, that I barely touch since at least 5, 10 years now. I'm gradually growing out of hip hop & only check high profile releases by classic artists like Nas (for instance) and Wu-General albums. The last album I bought on CD was Wu's A Better Tomorrow. If I want to hear an album that I own on CD or tape, I stream it, most of the time.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Best Buy and Target don't sell them anymore because people are streaming. I was on Ebay the other day and I was surprised that they're b/w $14-$20.

I got rid of my cassette tapes years ago. Most were radio recorded but once YouTube came into play, I tossed them. I have over 60 CDs at home and lately, I've been ripping them into MP3.
    Target still sells CD's, only top 40 type stuff though, so do not go there looking for anything that is not hot on the radio. F.Y.E. still sells CD's and DVD's although those sections have been greatly downsized. They do not even sell media shelves anymore

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post

@ Ironman, in what music genres are your CDs?
    I have all of BTNH albums with Wu Tang, jazz, RnB, and a some rock albums. The latest album that I've purchased was Rick Ross - Port of Miami 2, Bizzy Bone - Carbon Monoxide.

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    Target still sells CD's, only top 40 type stuff though, so do not go there looking for anything that is not hot on the radio. F.Y.E. still sells CD's and DVD's although those sections have been greatly downsized. They do not even sell media shelves anymore
    Yeah, I know. Anything's online or on an app. Before we know it, blu-rays will die out. CDs have better audio vs MP3. Bluetooth connection isn't crisp.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

i just download everything for free