Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....

Default Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

Anyone know any sites that still sell them? found one guy on Ebay named Cheese Biz that has an okay selection, other than that I've been having a bit of trouble locating anything on the net....Amazon has a few too, but not that many Hip-Hop/rap jonts......

May 21,1972-March 9,1997 DUNDUN's Avatar

tonytouch.com has all his joints 1 to 84 thats like 1988 to 2008 & its directly from tony touch himself so u know its legit. If u cop rip em & up dem on here yo. Hope this helps......one

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDUN View Post
    tonytouch.com has all his joints 1 to 84 thats like 1988 to 2008 & its directly from tony touch himself so u know its legit. If u cop rip em & up dem on here yo. Hope this helps......one
    just went over there.....it didn't saqy whether they were cassette's or CD's kid....

Yeah, I've had trouble finding cassette tapes in recent years also. I remember back in like 2001 is when I finally had to decide to start switching over to CD's. lol

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

gots boxes of from here to the west coast - you spending good money for them ?

-

Musicstack.com sells rap tapes for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Musicstack.com sells rap tapes for cheap.
    Thanks a bunch.....I looked on that site....their prices are a bit steep, but they got a lot of joints that I coulden't find nowhere else.....most likely will order something off there though, it's great that they do paypal....

on a side note, I was out today and some ill shit happened to me regarding my quest for tapes;

I was driving along the road and there was a cat waving a sign for the opening of a new thrift store....I had some free time so I pulled over and parked. I walked in and instantly tried locating where there might be some cassette tapes....I was surprised to see that they had a pretty healthy selection of tapes, and most of what they had was 70's and 80's soul, funk and R&B....I saw a cassette of Rick James's Street Songs album, Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down and Kieth Sweat's Didnt See Me Coming album.......it woulda been a great find if I was looking for stuff like that, but I really wasn't too interested in any of those. I was slighty enamored with the Keith Sweat tape because it looked brand new, but I decided to look around further.....I went and scoped the store's Vinyl for a tick, and then their furnature, then I decided to leave.....I was walking out when I just had an inkling to go and give the tapes another real good once over....I went back and started scanning through the tapes again and what did I se this time? Yes, that's right, a fucking perfect condition cassette of Guru's Jazzmatazz Vol.2: The New Reality album......lol.....I wasted no time in sliding that bad boy in my pocket and making my exit.....when I pulled the tape outta my pocket I was surprised to see that they were selling this rarity for only a buck....I was kinda surprised considering that I haven't seen this tape sold anywhwere but on the net, and usually even then they want about 5 to 10 bones for it.....It was my lucky day I guess.....

-

Musicstack.com also accepts money orders because i've ordered several cd's and albums from them. Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down album is very good. You should get that. All Night Long, Penny Lover, Love Will Find A Way, Running With The Night, Hello are his hit songs on that album.

Big D O, did you mean you stole the one dollar tape when you said you exited with it in your pocket? lol

Do any newer albums still come out on cassette tapes at all?

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    Big D O, did you mean you stole the one dollar tape when you said you exited with it in your pocket? lol

Do any newer albums still come out on cassette tapes at all?
    yeah, unfortunately I had to, I just got done blowing like 40 bucks on gas, and I'm un-employed, so money is tight.....I felt a lil' guilty for doing that because it seemed like it was a mom and pops type of place, but I know I'mma be back in there spending money with them on some of that vinyl another day, so I'll square up with em' later.....it was just a reaction yo, lol, I had to grab that shit, that's exactly the type of shit I am looking for and I didn't have any dough on me....that's the only reason I didn't pay....otherwise I woulda hapilly came out that dollar for that shit.....

as far as your questions about new albums dropping on tape, yes, quite a few hip-hop albums from the 2K were released in that format, for example I have Cam'ron's 2004 album Purple Haze on Cassette tape, and I remember seeing Tony Yayo's Thought's Of A Peredicate Felon Album, which dropped in 05' on tape as well.....so I'm pretty sure that there are some albums that dropped in 06' and 07' on Cassette as well.....usually it's a lebel decision and as we all know the popular medium these days is MP3/digital...so everyone at the labels pushes putting up the album for free download on itunes rather than pressing up a whole bunch of cassette tapes.

Now, I've done some research, and I've found out that in Malaysia and surrounding areas, most common working class folks still use tapes quite frequently and many of the big time labels that have Asian and European divisions still distribute new and old titles over there in cassette format....I've spoken with a number of guys that have their own lil' hole in the wall stores that buy Cassette tapes from Malaysian middle men and so on too.....they get tapes cheaper and in bulk, and newer titles.....now if only I could learn
    Last edited by BIG D O; 07-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
    gots boxes of from here to the west coast - you spending good money for them ?
    LOL, that's wassup, I'm trying to have a collection like yours kid.....right now I only have about 30 or so....I would have more, but all my tapes from back in the day were lost when I moved.....so now I'm trying to build the collection back up....

The scale as to how much I've paid for each one is low so far.....the most I've paid so far for a tape is about 7.99.....and that was for Teflon's My Will album......and I had no problem shelling out the dough for that, you can't even really find that on CD in stores anymore, so for me to have found it in mint condition on tape for that price was a steal....Everything else has been relatively cheap or free, if you know what I'm sayin.....
    Last edited by BIG D O; 07-02-2008 at 06:08 PM.

More Tape Jackin' Stories:

Aiight so today I decided to swing by a Goodwill store I hadn't ever been to before....One that was actually somewhat new.....It was really nice for a second hand store....there was a whole bunch of public use computers in the back, free coffee and free cookies.....lol, I was a bit put off by the that because the goodwill in my nieghborhood is really shitty, and this one is located in the northern part of my city which is primarilly white.....anyway....I found my way by the cassette tapes which were located at the front of the store by the cash register....they had a nice selection too and all the tapes were up against the wall in a holder.....there was a broad variety....I saw a Fats Domino Tape, Mary J. Blige's 1999 album "Mary" and Heavy D And the Boyz 1991 album "Peaceful Journey"....I was somewhat put off though because I wasn't seeing anything that really, really enticed me tho....then like always, upon further scanning I spotted a name I knew I had to snatch; Ill Al Scratch......yup....hidden amogest the rack was the unmistakable burnt auburn color of the duo's debut 1994 album "Creep Wit Me" cover.....I didn't know how I was gonna do it, but I knew I was gonna snatch this tape.....

It was gonna be tricky because I was at the front of the store where the Tape rack was and there were tons of un-busy employees around.....I decided to try and execute the old "pretend i'mma buy, and keep browsing" move. For those that aren't familiar with the tactic, it's simply grabbing the tape and acting like your gonna purchase it while you continue to pretend to browse other things in the store and move to another area where you can slide it into ya pocket....I did just that....with coffee in hand and the tape in the other I made my way to the back of the store by the shoes and shit where the racks were taller and the cameras view is obstructed....bam, tape was in the pocket, and I was outta there....

lol at Big D O. How much were they asking for the Ill Al Scratch tape? I'm going to be on the lookout for more cassette tapes.

-

It sucks that LL Cool J's Jack The Ripper and Crime Stories songs from Walking With A Panther album are only available on tape and not cd. It also sucks that on Above The Rim soundtrack cd that 2Pac's Pain and Loyal To The Game songs aren't on the cd, they're only on the tape. Nas's Pray song from Iam album is only on tape and not cd. Nas doesn't rap on the song, Bravehearts do but it's a tight song. I want these songs on cd.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    lol at Big D O. How much were they asking for the Ill Al Scratch tape? I'm going to be on the lookout for more cassette tapes.
    it was only like a buck or so.....I know I sound cheap right now, but times is tuff and I just ain't rollin in dough right now.....like I said in an earlier post, when I have the money, I always pay for whatever, but when i'm tapped, i'm tapped.......

New Tape Updates:

I've accumulated like 30 new tapes since I last posted in this thread; I actually found a place located about 30 miles outta my town that sells em' new, still in their packaging and has a huge hip-hop section....I've been raping that spot like every weekend (might go today as a matter of fact) and i've been paying for the majority of em', but I coulden't resist jackin' them for a few too....my reasoning for that is simply because this place is selling them for like 4.99 to 6.99, which isn't steep at all for brand new shit, but once again, the country's in a fuckin recession and I gotta be smart about what lil' cash i got and what I splurge on.....the shop also has a used section though, and they still use just a regular old price sticker on those tapes, so I pull off the stickers from them (the used joints) which are cheaper (about .99 to a 1.99) and put them over the more expensive new tapes, I saved a grip doing that too....

here's a list of shit I've gotten/taken from this new shop off the top of my dome:

Main One - The Birth Of The Ghetto Child (Fuckin brand new!)
    PMD - Shade Business (Brand New)
    DJ Muggs - Soul Assassins Chapter I (Brand New)
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Chubb Rock - The Mind (Brand New)
    Freeway - Philadelphia Freeway (Brand New)
    Black Rob - Life Story (Brand New)
    The Madd Rapper - Tell Em' Why You Mad (Brand New)
    G. Dep - Child Of The Ghetto (Brand New)
    Memphis Bleek - Coming Of Age
    Teflon - My Will (Brand New!)
    Universal Records Presents...The Universal MC's Mixtape (Brand New!)

....There's like 3 more I got from there, just can't remember right this second.....there's some stuff at that shop that I still wanna grab tho....they got Just Ice's album from 1993 "Gun Talk" brand new yo....that and O.C.'s "Jewelz" album...those two are what I really wanted to go back and snatch.....I don't know though, I think someone else that fucks wit Tapes has discovered this lil' spot too....the last time I went down there I had a list of shit that I was gonna grab, but some of the selections were already gone......I spoke briefly with one of the store managers who said he's in there mostly everyday and he said I'm like the only guy that purchases the tapes.....

I've also still been scowering the vast local thrift store scene, here's the new pickups from those adventures, lol.....all of these were strictly 5 finger discounts, and surprisingly most of them were in brand new condition!

Masta Ace Inc. - Sittin On Chrome (Brand New Condition)
    Brand Nubian - In God We Trust (Brand New Condition)
    Slick Rick - The Rulers Back
    Blackstreet - Finally (Brand New Codition)
    Heavy D And The Boyz - Peaceful Journey (Brand New Condition)
    Donell Jones - My Heart
    Naughty By Nature - Nineteen Naughty Nine (Brand New Condition)

.....the thrift store spots I frequent the most are really slowing down tho....they ain't putting out too many new tapes at all....I don't know if they just ain't getting donatations of them anymore or what but I consistently check and they went from like having new tapes and shit like every other week, to pretty much going like a whole month w/o any new shit....there's always yard sales here on the weeked and there's a big ass outdoor Flea Market/Swap Meet here too. I guess I might just have to transition into diggin at spots like that along with my usual haunts.....actually I got really fucking pissed the other day when I was in a thrift store with my boy diggin for tapes and he found a fucking World Famous Beat Junkies Vol.2 DJ Rhettmatic tape! It didn't have the cover with it, but it was a dope find and he gave it to me....I lifted that shit wit ease but when we were driving off and I was inspecting it more closely I seen that the tape on the inside was tangled in a wierd way......my boy suggested that when i had a chance at home to open up the tape and un-tangle the shit myself....bad fucking idea....I opened it up, and untangled the tape, but i coulden't get the shit rewound properly.....Fuck! That shit went in the trash after like 3 hours of me slaving my hardest to fix it......

And finally, I have a friend who has a bank account and paypal account as well, so I was also able to order a few tapes off Amazon.com (just gave him the actual physical money and he ordered em' for me), which has some great deals on cassette's; the shipping usually costs more than the actual tape, lol.....I placed 4 orders like 2 weeks ago and 5 more like yesterday....so far i like the prices and deals I find, but I don't really like the waiting process.....I like going out and digging much more.....

Orders from 2 weeks ago:

Da Beatminerz - Brace For Impak (Recieved Brand New, only paid .99 cents for it)

Frankie Cutlass - Politics And Bullshit (Recieved lightly Used condition, only paid .40 cents)

Sadat X - Wild Cowboys (Haven't recieved yet, paid 1.00 for it, don't know wassup wit this shit.....SMH)

The Beatnuts - Intoxicated Demons EP (Won't recieve til' after the 25th sometime, the seller is out of town, but sent an email to let us know that he'll ship when he gets home, only paid 2.99)

Orders From Yesterday:

Guru - Jazzmatazz Vol.1 (.20 cents)

Tony Touch - The Piece Maker (.99 Cents)

Buckshot - The BDI Thug (.20 Cents)

M.O.P. - Firing Squad (2.99)

Kam - Neva Again (4.00)
    Last edited by BIG D O; 07-19-2008 at 05:00 PM.