Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

Question two BIG D O and other tape experts:
    Is there any sound privileges over digital format (CD and mp3) in listening tapes on a good system with good headphones ?
    Its like you will get deep sound listening vinyl instead of CD (for example) !
    So what about collation between tape and CD ? Will you get something special in sound of tape ?
    Nobody fucks with The Realest fan of Wu, R-G-to the U, two thousand and two !

Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....

Quote Originally Posted by rgu2002 View Post
    Question two BIG D O and other tape experts:
    Is there any sound privileges over digital format (CD and mp3) in listening tapes on a good system with good headphones ?
    Its like you will get deep sound listening vinyl instead of CD (for example) !
    So what about collation between tape and CD ? Will you get something special in sound of tape ?
    really most audiophiles will likely tell you that cassette is the weakest format to listen to music in....

it's Lo-Fi for sure, but in my time listening to em' over the years I've noticed that in a car stereo a Hip-Hop cassette tape always sounds better than a CD....

that's just an opinion of course, but many heads will confirm this...I don't know what it is, maybe the way the music is compressed on a tape or somethin', but in the whip nuthin sounds iller....

Also in addition to their special Lo-Fi sound I always was an avid tape supporter because of their durability--you treat a tape right, keep it in it's case and in a place with a reasonable temperature and are careful about what players you play it in, that cassette will last you 25 years or longer...I own tapes that are still workin' good after 35+ years man...
    Last edited by BIG D O; 01-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
    Those are some good finds D O, I like looking at the tapes because it reminds me of good memories of life from that time like listening to alot of college hip hop radio and traveling.

Those 3 albums all have some overlooked music on 'em, especially Nine, I wonder what happened to him? Lifecheck by Mic Geronimo was always pretty ill to me, classic Beatminerz, and Masta I.C. is one of Buckwild's crown jewels in his production catalog.

Lookin at that Cella Dwellas reminds me of the promo cassette for that album which I lost years ago, it had a dark cardboard paper cover and some unreleased songs from the album. I still have a copy on mp3 fortunately.

I think you should start taking pics of the actual visits and store locations you go to when buying you're tapes, sort of like the photo docs of DJ Shadow. Those are always interesting to me, it's a good way to store those digging memories too. Here's a Japanese record store blog that does it: Soul Clap Records Japan
    yeah indeed...the memories that flood through when I see a lot of these tapes is incredible....

Nine is still doin okay, I seen recently that he linked back up with Flex and was preparing to drop some new music I believe....

I love that whole Mic Geronimo album man....the production is classic and the features are too...one of the first times I had heard Royal Flush...

yeah, that's a good idea about taking flicks of the spots I'm at when I find these joints...

Im going to a spot today to look, if I find somethin' I'll flick up the whole scene...

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Play View Post
    Damn D O... I can't even find the CD of Nine Livez and you cop the tape lol. Classic album.
    You have a great collection, keep doing your thing...
    preciate it man...repped!

keep lookin for that Nine! Nuthin beats the thrill of the hunt! nuthin!
    Last edited by BIG D O; 01-27-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Update!!

1/29/10:

LOL, My recent luck continues....

Yo, I had to drop off a friend today and was out and about and like I usually do after a big score at a particuliar thrift store I decided to return to the scene and see if there was anything new at the store where I found the Mic Geronimo, The Cella Dwellas and Nine tapes...

LOL, sure enough I found two more joints tonight that I regard as pretty hard to come by for basically nuthin'...

I walked in and went to the tape rack (which I noticed had been re-arranged since last time) and started scanning....I instantly saw the name "Big Noyd" and reached for it with the swiftness....I turned the tape over and there it was; "Episodes Of A Hustler"...one of my fav. albums from a Queens artist ever and Noyd's crowning achievement as an MC....It was in flawless condition...I was amazed...I looked even more and next found two tapes that I already had in Group Home's "Livin' Proof" and Busta Rhymes' "When Disaster Strikes", but scooped up anyway...

...then as I did my last look thru I saw Shyheim's "The Lost Generation", LOL...I just grinned and palmed it.... .50 friggin cents for a mint copy...

I shoved the Group Home and Busta tapes in my pocket and paid the dollar for just the Noyd and Shyheim....any guesses about where I'mma visit again in a day or so? I'm beginning to suspect that someone donated an ill collection to this thrift store that they're slowly but surely putting out every so often...

Last edited by BIG D O; 01-29-2010 at 10:22 PM.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

^^"Episodes of a Hustla"! Haha that's a gem..

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    ^^"Episodes of a Hustla"! Haha that's a gem..
    isn't it though? Man, I couldn't belive that shit was there man....

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Big D O, I sent you a pm, I have some tapes I thought you may be interested in if you don't already own

Quote Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
    Big D O, I sent you a pm, I have some tapes I thought you may be interested in if you don't already own

yo Big DO, if you ain't got that MOP tape then definitely cop that shit. i believe you're mostly interested in albums but that's the "Handle Ur Bizness" EP, featuring 8 tracks and released in 1998 - only 1 of the songs made the 'First Family 4 Life' LP so that shit is essential for any MOP collector!! i was trying to get my hands on that for a while and just copped the CD recently.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

This thread remembers me how ill the whole culture used to be.... Strange I know , but looking at those cassete tape covers and all that takes me back to them good days even though I rarely bought a cassette tape because I've always been buying compact discs ....

@ all hip-hop cassette tapes collectors - please help me out with this topic:
    http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90539

thank you.

if anyone's interested, i have following tapes up for sale/trade:

Brooklyn Zoo Masterz Of The Zooniverse + Original Brookyln Zoo
    Buddha Monk Spark Somebody Up
    Dr.Dre The Chronic (Album)
    Ghostface Killah Ironman (Album)
    Gravediggaz Diary Of A Madman b/w Constant Elevation
    Gravediggaz Nowhere To Run Nowhere To Hide
    Gza/Genius Come Do Me
    Gza/Genius Liquid Swords (Album)
    King Just Warrior's Drum b/w Move On 'Em Stomp
    Method Man I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By
    Raekwon Immobilarity (Album)
    Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (purple tape)
    Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (purple tape, signed by dj memory man)
    Raekwon Latest & Greatest Hits (Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Sampler Tape)
    Shyheim On And On
    Shyheim Pass it Off
    Various St. Ides 94 Promotional Tape (Shaolin Brew,...)
    Wu-Tang Clan Wu-Tang Forever Sampler Tape
    Last edited by pyrex visionist; 04-03-2010 at 02:34 AM.

I Really want that M.O.P
    IM THE BABY, GOTTA LOVE ME

Go to sleep when your tired and wake up at the same time everyday until you'r legs are more flexible for an intense fight with your local mail carrier

Update!!!

2/15/10:

I was all the way on the westside of my city at my new gym tonight working out and afterward I was broke so my usual routine of going and grabbing a Vitamin Water XXX and having some Sushi wasn't gonna happen....I decided instead to hit up a thrift store that was nearby and waste some time.

I didn't at all expect to find anything but much to my appeasement I did, as a matter of fact I found 3 tapes, 2 of which I didn't previously own...

I had to scavenge through a messy tape area that was filled with singles for a second, but after some scanning I saw one of my Fav. Cocoa B's albums "The Rude Awakening"....I then saw a copy of The Beatnuts "Stone Cazy", something I already have but didn't mind having another copy of....then I saw the find of thie night AKA Funkdoobiest's "Brothas Doobie" a cassette that I had come dangerously close to ordering a few times, but thought better of....

The move was made w/o any problems, it was pretty dead in there so it was kind of auspicious and tricky, plus I didn't have my usual attire on and was only wearing a t-shirt and basketball shorts AKA workout gear...nevertheless I finesse'd things and made my way out....

Banned

i can smell my first cars exhaust peepin this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

you just scored some gems BIG D O, crazy my nigga.... they got heat like that sittin in thrift stores?!?!!?

i havent touched my tapes in years but ill never get rid of em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ima clock out and spin stone crazy on the ride home... peace homie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha man your stories are great, i'm still laughing you steel fucking tapes which cost 1 dollar or 50 cents hahaha

Update: 5/2/10

been a long minute since I've updated I know...I've been on a bit of a dry spell, but today I came back strong with a great find.....

picked up the 1990 classic and Lord Finesse's debut "Funky Technician"....

jawn featured early work from future beatmaking staples, namely DJ Premier who produced 6 tracks.

really a great find, I treasure all the Wild Pitch releases I find on tape....