Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

nice pick up @ that funky Technician!

on the subject of whats at the top of the page -asking about the quality of tapes to CD - its true amongst audiophiles that tapes are the weakest but that lo-fi is really something else.It just depends on what you want out of your listening experience. YO! I get tapes to bump the low end a LOT better than CD's though. idk why.

Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    nice pick up @ that funky Technician!

on the subject of whats at the top of the page -asking about the quality of tapes to CD - its true amongst audiophiles that tapes are the weakest but that lo-fi is really something else.It just depends on what you want out of your listening experience. YO! I get tapes to bump the low end a LOT better than CD's though. idk why.
    Lo-fi is ill, no argument there....A lot of Hip-Hop fans from the 90's know this...it's just recently that digital technlogy has gotten so good and readily accessible, it's sort of pushed out recording music in the analog formats, i.e. 4 track & 8 track cassette recorder ADAT tapes, reel to reel tapes...

I still love that old lo-fi, crunchy 12 and 16 bit sound a lot and I try to explain to ppl what that's all about, but often folks these days are just about conveinance; they just wanna be able to take a whole music library with em' wherever they go and that's fine, I just am from a different school of thought...I came up around records, cassette and 8 track tapes...these new kids don't know anything but the digital un-full sound of MP3's coming out they ear buds or from their shitty lap top speakers....

Update 5/2/10:

bump it, I'm here so I'mma show ya'll what i grabbed earlier this week...

a trifecta of Cube tapes, and IMO his finest 3 albums...

bumped into all three of em' at the same time in the same thrft store so I was thinking most likely they were apart of someone's collection...Not 100% sure, but it's a strong suspicion...

Don't know how anyone could throw these out man, easly Cube's seminal work and some of Hip-Hop's most dangerous album's lyrically...

Last edited by BIG D O; 05-02-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Update 5/5/10:

caught a nice lil' gem today while I was out diggin' for vinyl....

chillin on the tape shelf above the McCrary "Emerge" LP I copped was a great looking copy of King Tee's "IV Life" album...

This album is widely regarded as the Likwit Crew member's most diverse musically and featured a bunch of sampling....

a dope feature I noticed off top was on the song text on the actual cassette itself...each tracklisting has the sample used right there on the tape...I wonder if he just got totally raped on those royalty claims, lol....

Update!!

5/21/2010:

No words need be spoken....one of the all-time greatest Hip-Hop records ever man....ever!

feast ya eyes on it....

Thumbs up

I still have a bunch of cassettes, a lot of Wu shit of course.

Most of them are in pristine condition, I care about my album collection.

Here's an interesting tidbit that's relevent to this thread in a way.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...-cassette-tape
    Last edited by Squidgy McGubbins; 05-22-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Complex View Post
    I still have a bunch of cassettes, a lot of Wu shit of course.

Most of them are in pristine condition, I care about my album collection.

Here's an interesting tidbit that's relevent to this thread in a way.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...-cassette-tape
    that's fucking intensely dope!!

Rhymefest is that dude, and yes he'll see some good sales on the cassette tape because cassette culture is starting to comeback a lil' in the urban market and yeah, a lot of cats in prison still order new titles out of special catalogs that have them in cassette version....

Update!

6/9/10:

Made a return to an old haunt I hadn't hit up in awhile today, really they didn't have much, but I was able to spot one lil' gem that all of ya'll gotta know about...

What I spotted on a lower rack next to some shitty DVD's was a nice looking copy of Canada's Dream Warriors debut "And Now The Legacy Begins"....most of you will prolly finish reading that last sentence and have zero clue who these cats are, maybe some of you do know, but for everyone else lemme break down some things bout these two:

consisting of King Lou and Capital Q (and later Spek), these bruthas from the T.Dot released this album on Island & 4th & B'way Records(American release) records back in 1991 and recieved a ton of critical acclaim and some pretty friggin decent sales too....

"And Now The Legacy Begins" was one of the first real breakout Jazz-infused and alternative Hip-Hop albums ever and employed heavy sampling alongside Lou and Q's artistic and conscious rhymes...the album got rave reviews from a bunch of music publications in the U.S. and canada and even sold in upwards of 800,000 units...

When I saw the tape just chillin there I admit I didn't know everything about the record, but I did recognize the name from their 3rd album "The Master Plan", which does get written about and a good deal of love on 90's Hip-Hop blogs...

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D O View Post
    Update 1/23/10:

My only regret was not grabbin the ATCQ tapes that she had and the Screwball "Y2K" tape she had...damnit!
    I can sell you that Y2K tape in near mint condition!

-

I'm so glad that tapes went away because i used to get tired of rewinding and fast forwarding when i wanted to hear a song and skip a song i didn't like. I'm upset that LL Cool J's Walking With A Panther cd doesn't have the songs Crime Stories and Jack The Ripper because those songs are on the tape. I also don't like Nas's Pray song not being on the Iam cd but it's on the tape. Nas doesn't rap on the song, only Bravehearts rap on it. I like Pray song. I'm glad i got Death Row's greatest hits double cd that has 2Pac songs Pain and Cradle To The Grave from Above The Rim soundtrack because those songs aren't on Above The Rim cd but they're on the tape.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post

Then there's people you should check outside the US who are collecting tapes still to this day, like a number of Japanese record stores and European hip hop fans on eBay. Soundtable Records in Japan was one, but their site no longer exists

http://mitglied.multimania.de/rapacent/newpage3.html

Ohhhhh shit, now that's a coincedence right there. That was my website, yo. I shut it down a couple of months ago, but I updated it until 2003 I believe, so just imagine all the shit I copped to this day. I sold all of my vinyl though and a lot of Wu-Shit, but still got lots of tapes and CDs I'm trying to sell.

BIG D O, man... I really enjoy reading through this topic and reading all those funny stories... can't stop laughing from time to time. Nough respect. I used to live in Philly by the way - that's where I got most of my CDs and tapes at. I'm really into diggin in the crates and finding rare shit and I got 800 CDs and more than a 100 tapes, so I really gotta start thinking about selling some shit haha. I love the music though.

Come check out 2 of my sale topics from about half a year ago... I sold about 50 % of that, so if you're interested in buying some rare tapes, there's a good chance I still have em.

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/sho...71#post1691771

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/sho...75#post1733275

I'll update the list soon though... like I said, I'm trying to sell that Screwball - Y2K, InI - Fakin' Jax, Ras Kass - Soul on Ice and a couple more of my tapes. Holla at me.

One,
    Flowmingo

-

Why would you get rid of most of your albums but you're keeping a lot of tapes? That doesn't make sense.

No, you got me wrong. Where did I say anything like that? I meant to sell all of the tapes that are worth some money. I also got some that nowadays aren'T worth as much, so I'm keeping them. If you got any CD wishlist or whatever, let me know.

-

I know how to read. Don't be telling me what you didn't say. You need to get rid of all of your tapes hahahahahahahahahahaha. Tapes are a waste of time to listen to because of the fucking rewinding and fast forwarding you gotta do. Do you know how to download music? If you do, i'll send you some blank cd's and i'll pm you a list of albums i want from you.

Dog, you need to stay off this topic if you ain't interested in listening to tapes. Bottom line. Also, do you not know how to download music or why would you want me to burn you stuff you could easily find online?