Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

yessss! ALREADYYYY!

I saw on the wu tang forum someone found an ODB dirty version on ebay for $500! Is it really worth that? I have that tape and if it is I'll gladly through it up on ebay. I also have Tical and Liquid Swords. Any value to those?

Im looking forward to the updates. Big D O inspired me a while ago to get back into tapes. Its a cheap and fun little hobby that can pay off big benefits.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by 9th Chamber View Post
    I saw on the wu tang forum someone found an ODB dirty version on ebay for $500! Is it really worth that? I have that tape and if it is I'll gladly through it up on ebay. I also have Tical and Liquid Swords. Any value to those?
    I picked up each a couple years back for less than $10

Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/10/2011:

yOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, What's good ppl... I know it's been a minute since the last update, but you knew I had to get back on my tape jackin grind... Life has changed a good deal for ya boy since I last was hittin ya'll heavy with updates and tape diggin' everyday... schedule got more hectic, had more responsibilities, so on and so forth.. it is what it is...

IN ANY CASE, I'm back now with two new joints from yesterday and they are fuckin gems man...really was surprised that I just cam up on em' like this...

Yesterday I was in my old neighborhood and couldn't resist swooping by an old favorite thrift store that is pretty large in size...when I walked in I couldn't help but notice that they had switched the placement of the tapes and records and that there was a good deal of them up in the front...

I scanned the records and picked up a few for legit purchase, then I sifted thru the tapes, which for some reason were stacked in a way that I had to fucking stand on a foot stool to be able to see all of them and look down...

1st joint I noticed was WC And The Mad Circle's "Ain't A Damn Thing Changed"... A classic release from 1991, littered with great drum break fueled production and a time in WC's career before he fully jumped into the whole Crippin', fast rappin', Westside Connection hype... Tons of production done by a young and primed Sir Jinx as well...

and then I found the gem of the day..fuckin Lords Of The Underground "Keepers Of The Funk".... Now I realize a lot of ppl really only prefer the Newark trio's debut from 93', but this, their sophomore album from 94' was always a huge favorite of mine as well... it featured in bulk production from K-Def, i.e. easily one of the most slept-on and un-recognized producers of our time and Marley Marl, who incidentally, K-Def has many times accused of taking credit for the work he put in during this era...

It wasn't terribly busy in the store and the employees were swarming for some reason...I decided that I'd just utilize the ole' screen technique where I'd float thru a row of clothes and make sure the rows blocked most of my person while I shoved the tapes into my shorts.. predictably the tactic worked and I was able to stand in line and then pay for a few records w/o any problems... it was only a couple of tapes so I didn't really expect anything to happen, but I have encountered beefed up security in a lot of thrift stores recently so I took the precautions...

Dope

This thread got me wanting to hit up some Goodwills and Salvation Armys because its been a minute and I made some pretty decent scores.

Method Man and Mary J - All I Need single, in mint firm cardboard cassette holder

Crooklyn Dodgers - Crooklyn Dodgers single, ok cardboard holder condition

Nas - It Was Written

A Tribe Called Quest - Beats, Rhymes and Life

Update!!!

8/20/11:

It's starting to become apparent to me that coming up on tapes via just thrift store jack moves is gonna prove really difficult in coming days, months, yrs, etc, ...I'm noticing a real shift in donation cycles and frankly a lot of thrift stores just ain't gettin cassettes anymore...

hence, I been lookin around in other places....

for those of you that don't stay out west and have never heard of a swap meet or a flea market, in a nutshell what it is essentially, is when some business person rents out a large area or building to a bunch of different vendors who all sell different things..just imagine like, 40 yard sales going on in one place, and all of the vendors kickin up a percentage of their sales or paying a monthly rent for their space...

So in any case, I came up on this classic at a flea market and really it wasn't possible to lift this joint seeing as how my dude was watching me and his small lot like a hawk...

I haggled w/ dude for awhile and he let me roll with a brand new double cassette format of one of Hip-Hop's seminal releases of all time, for a mere $3...he had it originally priced at $5 and all I did was make an offer of $3 and he agreed... he didn't have any other Hip-Hop tapes so this one stuck out like a sore thumb in his lot of mostly country and rock tapes...

Last edited by BIG D O; 08-20-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

[quote-BIG DO]It's starting to become apparent to me that coming up on tapes via just thrift store jack moves is gonna prove really difficult in coming days, months, yrs, etc, ...I'm noticing a real shift in donation cycles and frankly a lot of thrift stores just ain't gettin cassettes anymore... [/quote]

Time to start looking more to the record conventions probably, when the thrift shops don't have the tapes you can almost always find them sold at the conventions. I go their to buy vinyl though 95% of the time.

ILL, I didnt even know there was such thing as the record fair. Now I GOTTA find one!!! BIG UP B!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
    [quote-BIG DO]It's starting to become apparent to me that coming up on tapes via just thrift store jack moves is gonna prove really difficult in coming days, months, yrs, etc, ...I'm noticing a real shift in donation cycles and frankly a lot of thrift stores just ain't gettin cassettes anymore...
    Time to start looking more to the record conventions probably, when the thrift shops don't have the tapes you can almost always find them sold at the conventions. I go their to buy vinyl though 95% of the time.

[/QUOTE]

you're right, record conventions be havin em', but at a premium usually, and trust you won't be jacking shit from the cats that sell they shit there... lol...

I wonder what that $6,000 record was that is so rare.

SHAOLIN STUDENT wutangclan97chamber's Avatar

@BIG D O .....i am fucking jealous of your illmatic tape. illmatic and 36 chambers are the only albums where i have the vinyl and cd and i want the tapes of both cause thatd be dope to have all formats.

Quote Originally Posted by wutangclan97chamber View Post
    @BIG D O .....i am fucking jealous of your illmatic tape. illmatic and 36 chambers are the only albums where i have the vinyl and cd and i want the tapes of both cause thatd be dope to have all formats.
    look around for that Illmatic bruh...you can find it.. I have two copies that I found rather easily... you in NY tho, so I dunno, out there more ppl might be hip to it's true value...

and yes, goin full circle and owning an album in every format is thee shit... have that in a few albums...

The Cassette Tape Fiend

Uploaded some pics of my collection here:

http://thedentistschair93.blogspot.com/

Only about half of my collection right there. Will be adding to it eventually as there's more gems hidden away that I gotta dig out. The tape heads should appreciate it.