Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

Nice topic dunn, keep it up....

Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....

I got up on 2 more tapes yesterday....

Guru - Jazzmatazz Vol.1 & Killah Priest - Heavy Mental......

ordered both of em' off Amazon....they came really quickly (in about 3 days) and both were in great condition....

still waiting on that Kam, Buckshot, M.O.P., Beatnuts and Tony Touch.....

man, that fucking Sadat X came and it was a CD!....lol, I was a lil' irritated, not sure if that was the seller's bad or mine, I am pretty sure that I selected the Audio Cassette option, like 85% sure, but whatever.....I can deal with that....it was kinda hard being mad when I got them other two tapes at the same time......

thinkin about maybe jumpin on Ebay, there's a cat on there named Cheese Biz that has his own store and he has quite a few hip-hop cassette tapes.....i'll update ya'll on that if I decide to fuck wit it.....I seen he had a lot of "Buy Now" options in his store, so most likely i'll take that route....i don't wanna be biddin on shit waitin and all that......

Original Nastukao Bucellito 136's Avatar

time to forget these tapes except the ones with rare tracks

I was at a Goodwill thrift store yesterday, and I was thinking about this thread. lol They had a small selection of cassette tapes for 50 cents each. Not that many hip hop ones though. Over the years, I've gotten a bunch of CD's from amazon.com and half.com. I like half.com cause they have good deals, and also have fixed prices like amazon.com. Half.com was bought by Ebay some years back. Sellers aren't allowed to sell cassette tapes at the site. Some would still sell them though, but they would get warned if they got caught. lol I think Ebay has been doing more fixed prices lately though than they used to, cause the popularity of the auction thing has gone down some. I read an article about that not that long ago. So maybe some sellers at Ebay would be offering some cassette tapes for a fixed set price, instead of the auction thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucellito 136 View Post
    Boooo!!! Fuck outta here if you ain't got no appreciation for history....

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    I was at a Goodwill thrift store yesterday, and I was thinking about this thread. lol They had a small selection of cassette tapes for 50 cents each. Not that many hip hop ones though. Over the years, I've gotten a bunch of CD's from amazon.com and half.com. I like half.com cause they have good deals, and also have fixed prices like amazon.com. Half.com was bought by Ebay some years back. Sellers aren't allowed to sell cassette tapes at the site. Some would still sell them though, but they would get warned if they got caught. lol I think Ebay has been doing more fixed prices lately though than they used to, cause the popularity of the auction thing has gone down some. I read an article about that not that long ago. So maybe some sellers at Ebay would be offering some cassette tapes for a fixed set price, instead of the auction thing?
    yeah, that's about the size of it....you gotta hit up a few Goodwill's in order to find a lot of rap tapes, sometimes you do get lucky though and you will stumble upon a grip of em' because someone just walked in and donated their whole collection earlier and whatnot.....One time I seen like 20 hip-hop tapes in a Goodwill one day and I knew the same cat donated all of em' cause he wrote his name in the lil' sleeves of all of em'......it's give and take most days tho for real....it all depends on the Goodwill location as well.....if you go to one that's in the city you'll prolly have better luck finding good shit just do to the statistics of volume.....

Today's bounty:

hit up a goodwill today and found these two joints; Eric B. And Rakim - Don't Sweat The Technique and Biz Markie - The Diabolical

got real excited when I saw that Biz Markie, I have seen people name their price for that joint online, don't know why but everywhere online people been trying to sell that joint for a lot of dough.....and the Eric B and Rakim joint was just the icing on the cake.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bucellito 136 View Post
    Get the fuck outta here, a tape has got something special man....

In the 90's, tapes were used a lot, and don't come in with that "yeah but we livin' in 2008 now" Fuck dat, a tape is part of Hip-Hop culture just as an LP or a Compact Disc.

Quote Originally Posted by No1CouldBIlla View Post
    Get the fuck outta here, a tape has got something special man....

In the 90's, tapes were used a lot, and don't come in with that "yeah but we livin' in 2008 now" Fuck dat, a tape is part of Hip-Hop culture just as an LP or a Compact Disc.
    preach.....

Update for Tuesday July 22nd:

Went to the closest thrift store to my crib today and actually made a really incredible find. I was pleased to find that there was as usual a really healthy selection of tapes to choose from, and i started rifling through them bit by bit. I only was able to find a gently used Shabba Ranks "A Mi Shabba" tape and a brand new Chubb Rock & Howie "And The Winner Is..." LP; which dropped back in 89'.....I was minimally pleased and I decided I would grab the Chubb Rock and Howie T LP. Today since I had some cash and since they only wanted .50 cents for it, I said what the hell....this place employs a few of my niggas, I'll pay em'....but first i had to piss....I had just ate at Wendy's an hour earlier and I had a large double stack meal and all that coca-cola was ready to be set free.......I drained the main vein and walked out of their extremely skeevy bathroom, and was ready to bounce after I paid, but for some reason I just had an inkling to wanna go back thru all the cassette tapes again....so I went back over and started rumaging again and what did I find? A fucking used but "like new" copy of Snoop Dogg's (then known as Snopp Doggy Dogg) 1993 debut album "Doggystyle", lol.....I snatched it up, inspected it and was elated at the find.....I was also pleased that it too was reasonably priced at only .50 cents.....I paid and bounced....
    Last edited by BIG D O; 07-22-2008 at 06:31 PM.

boom!!!

Recieved that Kam - Neva Again, Buckshot - BDI Thug and Tony Touch - The Piecemaker all in the mail yesterday.....The Buckshot and the Tony Touch were brand new and even though the Kam had been opened, it was in great condition and like new.....those three pickups combined with the two joints (Snoop's Doggystyle and Chubb Rock and Howie T's And The Winner Is...) I grabbed at the thrift store made yesterday a really successful outing, prolly the best of the week.

So as things stand i have two more tapes coming in the mail...that Beatnuts - Intoxicated Demons EP and that M.O.P. - Firing Squad......I've accumulated a new list of tapes that I wanna order, and many I'mma be getting at a great price.....

I am going to go out today and browse the thrift stores way out on the westside of my city.....see what they got to offer.....I'm not too hopeful though, last time I checked out these spots it yielded nothing, however that was a minute ago.....it's not that they didn't have anything at all, just at the time I wasn't really delving so deep into trying to find the old school stuff and that's primarilly what I kept bumping into.....but i'mma run by that shit today, updates comin' soon......

^^^^

Where u live, I barely know any stores that still sell those classic Hip-Hop tapes where I live.

^^^^

Where u live, I barely know any stores that still sell those classic Hip-Hop tapes where I live.
    like 30 minutes outside of Denver...

and truthfully there's only one store that carries them here, and it's not in bulk at all....that's why I gotta go outta town and shift through all the thrift stores as well......that's what kinda makes it fun though......cause when you make a find from diggin around it's gratifying in a way.....

Update for 7/24/08:

Went back to the closest thrift store to my house today because I've noticed they've started putting out more new tapes a lot more frequently and because I still felt that good luck from finding that Doggystyle tape.......I was right....as soon as I got to the tapes section I saw right off the bat 3 gems! First I noticed an R. Kelly "12 Play" Cassette in great condition...next to it was two other great finds; DMX's "Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood" and Outkast's "Aquemini" .....wow! I was really excited to see that Outkast, I was contemplating ordering that shit off the net, but now i woulden't have to.....I quickly picked up both and started to inspect them....The OutKast tape was in pretty fair condition, not perfect, but not bad either, it's case was pretty beat up tho, but overall still worth grabbing, i know I could make it look new wit just a damp cloth and some elbow grease.....The DMX tape was a total disappointment....I opened it up hoping to find a well preserved tape only to find that it was cracked down the middle and would be un-playable....fuck! Either way both tapes got ganked wit ease and the Outkast one is currently undergoing a few minor cosmetic procedures.....
    Last edited by BIG D O; 07-24-2008 at 03:18 PM.

got that M.O.P. Firing Squad cassette in the mail today.....thinkin about ordering some more tapes here pretty soon.....

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D O View Post
    got that M.O.P. Firing Squad cassette in the mail today.....
    That's dope.

That's dope.
    yeah, it's brand new, hasn't ever been played.....I was contemplating playing it today in the ghetto blaster while I got drunk, I don't know though....

85 %ER

I'm not even collecting tape, but damn, BIG D O, if you don't have the money, don't take money out of other people's pockets, that's really, really sad. I would've understood if you couldn't afford food to survive, but these are tapes, and you're actually damaging other people by stealing them, even if it's just a dollar. If you don't have the money to buy one right now, just wait 'til you DO have the money. Especially when you obviously do have the money to get drunk... That's just my 2 cents though (no pun), I would've felt terrible, both towards the store owners and the artists you're stealing from. Honest collectors are actually paying for them while they end up in your collection the cheap way, blegh.

^^^^

Yeah I thought the same way too when DO was talkin' bout stealin' those tapes especially cuz it's only ONE buck. But even though if it's an average price, I still wouldn't steal cd's or tapes cuz I wanna make sure the artist(s) makes his/her/their money.
    In this case it's tapes so I'm quite sure the artist won't see anything of the money you pay for it , especially if it's such a low price.
    But then again, if you pay for ya tapes, the owner of the store might as well see that the sales of those classic tapes are rising so he could order a load of other classic tapes as well, so in this case you betta support your record store, be gratefull they still sell those classic Hip-Hop tapes.
    Last edited by Afficial_Nastee; 07-27-2008 at 06:37 PM.