Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

mines tinted red
    IM THE BABY, GOTTA LOVE ME

Go to sleep when your tired and wake up at the same time everyday until you'r legs are more flexible for an intense fight with your local mail carrier

Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....

Update!!!

5/21/09:

Yeah, I been goin hard on this same lil' Goodwill....the magneticly intense force that draws me in so tremendously known as Hip-Hop Cassette tapes once again had me in the thrift store to do my duty today.....

Today I was less excited going in tho, mainly because I wasn't sure if there would be any super finds again i.e. "Ready To Die", "The Infamous" and "Dare Iz A Darkside"....still I was confident that amid all those tapes I'd find smething worthwhile.....And for the most part I did....

In the end I settled on Public Enemy's fifth LP "Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age", an album they put out on Def Jam and was hailed as being their most consistent effort ever........

Also grabbed Spice 1's most recognizable effort and 3rd LP "AmeriKKKa's Nightmare", which featured guest spots from 2Pac, Method Man and E-40......

and finally I finished up with the "Tales From The Hood" Soundtrack from back in 95' I believe....lol, maybe this was a mis-step considering what I passed up, but that movie holds a special place in my heart....and the same goes for the soundtrack as well....mainly because growing up one of my closest homeboys was constantly playin the soundtrack....lol, he was from Georgia and thus he was a south head, but he enjoyed certain east coast stuff like Wu-Tang Clan, so the TFTH soundtrack was perfect for him because it had a bunch of different stuff on it from all over, including the south, the west and the east....it also was a big deal to me to grab this because the movie and the sountrack was executive produced by Spike Lee and I'm a Spike Lee head to the fullest....

pic:

I still might go back again tommorrow too, lol....as I mentioned earlier I did pass on a few other tapes I might be interested in....namely Rappin 4 Tay's 1994 west coast classic "Don't Fight The Feelin'", Too Short's "Get In Where You Fit In" and Ice T's sophomore LP "Power". Also, to pad my R&B collection I saw and wanted to pick up Levert's 1988 "Just coolin'" album. There was also a Kool DJ Red Alert Dancehall tape I passed on too....I def. will go back for that, above all else....
    Last edited by BIG D O; 05-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Update!!!!

5/22/09:

well, there should be no surprise in the fact that I ventured back to that Goodwill again today for the third day straight.....Once again I went in to merely grab one or two joints I saw the day before, and ended up stumbling upon a bunch of real gems, .....

I walked in only trying to score that Ice T or Too Short from the day before but I decided to just go through my whole process.....started scanning the racks from left to right, standing and squatting, trying my best to pay close attention to every tape.....

then, Boom!!! I saw it...... right off the bat....Jamal "Last Chance No Breaks"; the fantastic and heavily slept on debut from Philly emcee and Def Squad affiliate Mally G AKA Jamal that dropped in 95' and would be his last solo LP....I swiped it up and just started laughing....I mean the quality was just excellent (see pic below)...I always am stupified as to what people just give away for free.....

Next I was able to locate that Too Short "Get In Where You Fit In", the 1993 LP was Short's 5th and while it wasn't one of his best efforts ever, still a pretty good lift....

I spotted something new in MC Lyte's "Ain't No Other"....the woman whom I consider to be one of the top 5 femcee's ever definitely is someone whom I always check for and I happily stuffed her 4th LP into my jean pocket.....

I grabbed another classic when I saw The Geto Boys "Til' Death Do Us Part"....It was their fifth album that had Big Mike replacing Willie D, who at the time left the group to pursue a solo LP of his own....dropped in 1993 on Rap-A-Lot records....I was kinda skeptical bout this one, but I know I'd prolly never get a chance to jack it again tho and it does contain one of my all-time fav. cuts in "Six Feet Deep"....

lastly, we have what I considered the second biggest score of the day next to that Jamal in the Riverside California duo Lighter Shade Of Brown's 3rd release "Layin' In The Cut".....the LP was One Dope Mexican and Don't Try To Xerox's best effort in my opinion and was released on Mercury records.....

all in all another good day for jackin tapes......

pics:

Last edited by BIG D O; 05-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Veteran Member

Don't make this no cliffhanger saga.

What did you walk in on?

yeah cmon D O. wtf? what did you find????

ayo Big D O , do you refurbish these tapes when you bring them home? Like , do you give them new cases? Ur pics always look like the tapes came straight out the shipping box straight from the factory.

Update!!!

5/23/09:

Made my last lil' trip to that Goowill that has been so good to me over the past week today, basically to grab that DJ Red Alert tape.....

I went up in there and it was kinda busy because it was the weekend I guess....that was good tho, always is better for me when they're busy; I could literaly walk out with a DVD player and no one would notice....

At any rate, I made my way thru the crowd over to the tape rack....I located the "DJ Red Alert's Propmaster Dancehall Show" tape that was still in the same spot as it was the day before.....I really was intrigued by this tape and I was happy it was still here....I'm thinkin it might could be rarer because I couldn't find any info on it on the net....all I know about it is that it came out in 94' on Sony/Epic Street and by the looks of the tracklisting is a dope Dancehall/Reggae mix....

Moving on I once again gave the racks a pretty good once over and also re-located that Rappin 4 Tay "Don't Fight The Feelin'" tape, which I chose to inspect because it was in a pretty dirty case.....I found that the cassette was in pristine condition, but on the upper left hand corner of it there was a sticky type of residue....I chose not to attempt to clean it there as to not draw any attention to myself.....I would bring it home and easily clean it off....I was curious about what it might of been, there was no scent to it and it felt like glue, but IDK....

I finished up by grabbing something new that caught my eye in Gerald Levert's 1994 R&B classic "Groove On", that's full of soulful love songs and dope bedroom music....I'll picked it up primarily to pad my growing R&B collection.....

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    ayo Big D O , do you refurbish these tapes when you bring them home? Like , do you give them new cases? Ur pics always look like the tapes came straight out the shipping box straight from the factory.
    yeah, what i'll commonly do depending on the condition is clean the cases with some WD-40 and a cloth or I'll make a point to jack some brand new Cassettes at the spot too, and just switch the cases.....I do a lot more case switching these days though yeah....keen observation Infinity....

I remember getting that Rappin 4 Tay tape back in like 94 or so. lol It's the dank season, for 1990 -fo.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    I remember getting that Rappin 4 Tay tape back in like 94 or so. lol It's the dank season, for 1990 -fo.
    I remember liking that song that sampled "I'll be Around" and seeing the Vid for it on TV, but I never picked the album up......

Update!!!

5/27/09:

After taking a lil' break for a short period I got back out there, seeking more tapes.....I decided to mess with this lil' indoor flea market that's right around my way....I looked around for awile, rumaged through some old vinyl and even looked at some food they had in the back before I finally saw a single stack of tapes.....I saw the usual garbage.....old, beat up and dusty orchestral stuff....some country/western tapes....

I spotted 3 golden era tapes that i quickly picked up and wiped off.....First I saw Chill Rob G's "Ride The Rhythm".... the 1989 classic from the one time Flava Unit member that was nearly all produced by the legendary 45 King and released on the classic Wild Pitch label....next, I spotted pioneering Philly rapper and current Pennsylvania State prison inmate for life, Steady B's "Bring The Beat Back". The album was his debut record and was released in 1986 on Jive......lastly I grabbed Young M.C.'s debut LP "Stone Cold Rhymin'" from 1989 that was released through another one of my fav.and legendary Hip-hop Label's; Delicious Vinyl.....It featured production from the Dust Brothers and Quincy Jones Jr.

It was really easy to manuver a jack move in this place.....i prolly coulda walked out with the tapes in full view of the flea market owners and they wouldn't have noticed or cared.....
    lol, they were all discarded and the cases were in pretty rough condition...I brought them home and got em' cleaned up a bit...thankfully all the actual cassette's were in great condition....all in all they were great additions to my growing "golden age" Hip-Hop collection.....

Pics:

I got a shitload of new ones...

Heres a list of the ones I can remember:
    B.O.N.E Enterprise (Bone Thugs-N-Harmony) - Faces of Death
    C-Nut Loc - One Nine EP (Extremely Rare)
    G.Dep - Child of the Ghetto
    Ultramagnetic MC's - Funk your head up
    Young Bleed - my own
    Special Ed- legal
    Dungeon Family - forgot title
    Inspectah Decc - Uncontrolled Substance
    C-Murder - C-P-3.com
    Pooh-Man - Judgement Day
    Who Put Sac on the Map?
    Montell Jordan - This is how we do it
    Jayo Felony - Watcha gonna do
    C-bo - Enemy of the State

thats all I can remember
    IM THE BABY, GOTTA LOVE ME

Go to sleep when your tired and wake up at the same time everyday until you'r legs are more flexible for an intense fight with your local mail carrier

i have these cassettes up for sale/trade:

Buddha Monk Spark Somebody Up
    Gravediggaz Diary Of A Madman b/w Constant Elevation
    Gravediggaz Nowhere To Run Nowhere To Hide
    King Just Warrior's Drum b/w Move On 'Em Stomp
    Method Man I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By
    Raekwon Immobilarity
    Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (purple tape)
    Ras Kass Soul On Ice
    Shyheim On And On
    Shyheim Pass it Off
    Wu-Tang Clan Wu-Tang Forever Sampler Tape

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm looking for these tapes:

dj doo wop - dj doo wop and gza beneath the surface sampler
    ghostface killah - ironman sampler/snippets
    inspectah deck - uncontrolled substance sampler
    raekwon - Latest & Greatest Hits
    tony touch - tony touch presents sunz of man
    wu-tang clan - mystagogue volume 2

wow. last month, i was diggin thru some of my old boxes at my folks house: