Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Cassette Tapes......

Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....

Update: 12/19/2009:

Wow, it's been a half a year since my last real update....rest assured, I'm still picking up tapes but I can't take flicks of all the new ones cause' that would take forever....so i'mma just start with what happened today...picking up things as I go...

Today I was in the city coppin' some vinyl at one of my favorite spots....It had been a long day and I had been in the neighboring suburb scavenging for cassettes with no luck....

I stopped and ate a bomb ass Cheese steak b4 I walked into the spot....I actually found some dope vinyl along with one cassette...the tape I found and copped was 3rd Bass's "Derelicts Of Dialect" LP....their 2nd album from 1991 that would prove to be their final effort as a three man group...

It kinda pissed me off that I had to shell out $2.95 for the tape, but hey, the spot's system was flawless...they only display the cases and if you wanna cop a cassette you have to get it from up front where they have em' all filed...LOL, a surefire way to detour cats like myself....really though, they didn't have anything else I woulda wanted...there was a UTFO tape, i forget which one though and a Yo Yo tape......

on a side note, Danzenie if you still on here, holla @ me in the PM man...
    Last edited by BIG D O; 12-20-2009 at 02:06 AM.

i have gotten too much more to take pictures of or name. but a good one i can remember off the dome - "Compton Coalition". oh and also the OG version of Brotha Lynch Hung's "Season of da Siccness".
    IM THE BABY, GOTTA LOVE ME

Go to sleep when your tired and wake up at the same time everyday until you'r legs are more flexible for an intense fight with your local mail carrier

I just recently got ahold of Bobby Digital in Stereo on cassette by a fluke lol. My buddy for some odd reason owned it (he's a metalhead) and he gave it to me for free lol.

So many bodies on my microphone the shit's haunted

Update 1/23/10:

Brand newness yo!

first up I got the joints I copped (yes, copped) out in L.A.

I was out there for this past new year holiday and while i had some down time I ran up in this spot called Pak's Cassettes on Rosecrans Ave. that was inside a swap meet in Gardena (near West Compton). The little Asian woman running the booth was on her shit! LOL, had tons of dope tapes, everything i would wanna cop but she was askin top dollar...I can't blame her tho, everything was brand new and sealed...I ended up dropping $40 bucks on the 5 tapes you see here....I know that's an obscene amount, but I had some paper and I was out there grabbin vinyl and tapes, so I said fuck it....My only regret was not grabbin the ATCQ tapes that she had and the Screwball "Y2K" tape she had...damnit!

next I got the two latest joints I've grabbed off online sources....

Getting that Lord Finesse was a big deal...I'm a huge DITC fan and have been getting all of the members solo joints and that was one I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get up on....I paid next to nuthin for the Gravediggaz joint...bout $4....the Lord Finesse I dropped $10 on and had to bargain with the guy....Not really sure if there's a signifigance behind the Finesse tape being black...like whether it's a special edition or something....if someone else has it, please holla and let me know if this was the normal release color or what....

I've gotten other new joints. from A+, Big Pun, Krs-One, Easy Mo Bee, Channel Live and a Wu-Tang cassette that I think might be one of the most elaborate bootlegs ever that i'll flick up later, just don't got time at the moment....I'm bout to cop that first Organized Konfusion tape, I'm excited about that and will post that too...

I gotta also inform ya'll about the extremely shitty conditions that I'm experiencing tryin to find decent tapes just out and about at thrift stores and whatnot...I haven't come across any in that type of setting in a grip...prolly since before the new year....might try looking again tommorrow....
    Last edited by BIG D O; 01-24-2010 at 03:48 AM.

^^^^

repped for holding it down !

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

This is a great thread D O, I'll be sure to rep you for it. I like the memories by looking at the rows of tapes and the video you posted talking about them. It's good to travel and visit thrift shops every now & then to take yourself from all this digital downloading madness we have today, it's a great way to experience life. I used to live in Cali, the Pasadena/West Covina area.

You should try going to record conventions to find tapes, check this calendar for upcoming US dates: http://www.vinyltimes.com/record-shows.htm

Then there's people you should check outside the US who are collecting tapes still to this day, like a number of Japanese record stores and European hip hop fans on eBay. Soundtable Records in Japan was one, but their site no longer exists

http://mitglied.multimania.de/rapacent/newpage3.html

I still cherish full ablums on tape, but the most favorite ones from my collection are the limited addition promo tapes and maxi singles with bonus songs. I used to hang out at a radio station in the early-mid 90's and the host would give me bags of promo tapes sent to him from labels.

Keep up the good work in this thread, I'm here if you need any info on NY tape spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Afficial_Nastee View Post
    ^^^^

repped for holding it down !
    Thanks brutha!

Quote Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
    This is a great thread D O, I'll be sure to rep you for it. I like the memories by looking at the rows of tapes and the video you posted talking about them. It's good to travel and visit thrift shops every now & then to take yourself from all this digital downloading madness we have today, it's a great way to experience life. I used to live in Cali, the Pasadena/West Covina area.

You should try going to record conventions to find tapes, check this calendar for upcoming US dates: http://www.vinyltimes.com/record-shows.htm

Then there's people you should check outside the US who are collecting tapes still to this day, like a number of Japanese record stores and European hip hop fans on eBay. Soundtable Records in Japan was one, but their site no longer exists

http://mitglied.multimania.de/rapacent/newpage3.html

I still cherish full ablums on tape, but the most favorite ones from my collection are the limited addition promo tapes and maxi singles with bonus songs. I used to hang out at a radio station in the early-mid 90's and the host would give me bags of promo tapes sent to him from labels.

Keep up the good work in this thread, I'm here if you need any info on NY tape spots.
    FBBrandon-

thanks a grip bruh I appreciate it....

used to live in Pasadena eh? That's actually where the funeral I was attending was at (Forest Lawn Cemetary is a gorgeous resting place) and where a grip of my family stays now...I was staying all the fuck the way down in Torrance while visiting though...don't ask, I fucked up a hotel reservation....lol...

yeah, I've been to a few specialty shops here and there and I've been to a grip of Vinyl conventions too and more often than not I don't really see much I want...maybe it's cause the majority of em' I visit are in or around Denver....

I've copped some tapes off some kids in Europe...they know their stuff when it comes to cassettes and vinyl! Never have messed with any Japanese collectors though....I got a few lil' secret store resources that I found and order from frequently that are in the U.S.

thanks for peeping the youtube vid, that was the collection in it's infancy though....I been meaning to do a new one and throw it in here....stay tuned!

Big Time props on that Prince Paul Promo, love that mix and have posted it on my blog b4...that's a hard piece to come by....much respect on that Maniacal Moments Beatnuts album sampler too...I don't really mess too much with promo stuff, but even I had to snatch that up!

thanks for the words, and stay in touch! if you do the Twitter madness hit me with a follow homie: http://twitter.com/d_o_beatz
    Last edited by BIG D O; 01-25-2010 at 01:22 AM.

wheres the youtube video at
    IM THE BABY, GOTTA LOVE ME

Go to sleep when your tired and wake up at the same time everyday until you'r legs are more flexible for an intense fight with your local mail carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Danzenie View Post
    wheres the youtube video at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVMZ1NP9Bb4

interesting topic... well iam not very into collectin cassettes.. have few from back n the days. my first tape there snoop doggs dogftaher in 1996... believe me it was expensive as a fuck here in my country.. and ofc rare.. at that time 94-98 u could buy lots of shit on pirate cassette tapes, still have bunch of them somewhere in basement. pirate tape was cheaper like 3-4 times then original lol.. here is few original tapes from "my collection" from back n the days heh

have few more in my car, cypress hill first album demo tape and few public enemy albums.. and maybe ghost dog OST.

not collecting it any more.. but cant rid of it to.. (wonder is it worth any money?) in 2001~ started to collect CD's.

Update!!!

01/27/10:

Man as soon as I was complaining in my last post about a lot of the tape spots/thrift stores around my way going dry and not havin shit I stumble into an old spot and come up on three gems....

I was out diggin' for Vinyl and got that frequent urge to seek out new sources for it, so I hit up all of my old stomping grounds that hadn't closed down in the past 6 months....

I went to a few thrift stores and a record store and managed to come up on 6 records and was fixing to call it a night when I decided to hit up this new Goodwill that had recently been built around the way from the crib....it just got built like a year and a half ago and it never really has anything so I don't frequent it much, but tonight I was semi bored and they always do have one solid stack of about 70 records....

so i went in and headed over to where they keeps the vinyl...thumbed through it and found nuthin', then for some reason I went over and checked out they lil' tape section, I mean why not right? I was there anyway..Usually 9 times outta 10 they will have nuthin, absolutely nuthin' in terms of tapes I want...I saw a Menace To Society soundtrack tape that I picked up and scanned for a minute while I tried to recall if I already had it, then I saw that distinct name....."Nine".....I snatched it up and then seen the Mic Geronimo, which I also gathered in quickly and finally after a thorough scan of the racks I saw that Cella Dwellas, which I was dazzled by, you just don't find that tape in thrift stores man....

they all were in great condition and had great cases and they wanted a grand total of 50 cents for em', which I happily forked over....

I was blown away by my finds man....3 dope mid 90's releases, 2 of which ("The Natural" and "Realms N' Reality") are widely considered classics
    Last edited by BIG D O; 01-27-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Those are some good finds D O, I like looking at the tapes because it reminds me of good memories of life from that time like listening to alot of college hip hop radio and traveling.

Those 3 albums all have some overlooked music on 'em, especially Nine, I wonder what happened to him? Lifecheck by Mic Geronimo was always pretty ill to me, classic Beatminerz, and Masta I.C. is one of Buckwild's crown jewels in his production catalog.

Lookin at that Cella Dwellas reminds me of the promo cassette for that album which I lost years ago, it had a dark cardboard paper cover and some unreleased songs from the album. I still have a copy on mp3 fortunately.

I think you should start taking pics of the actual visits and store locations you go to when buying you're tapes, sort of like the photo docs of DJ Shadow. Those are always interesting to me, it's a good way to store those digging memories too. Here's a Japanese record store blog that does it: Soul Clap Records Japan

Quote Originally Posted by sickdog View Post
    interesting topic... well iam not very into collectin cassettes.. have few from back n the days. my first tape there snoop doggs dogftaher in 1996... believe me it was expensive as a fuck here in my country.. and ofc rare.. at that time 94-98 u could buy lots of shit on pirate cassette tapes, still have bunch of them somewhere in basement. pirate tape was cheaper like 3-4 times then original lol.. here is few original tapes from "my collection" from back n the days heh

have few more in my car, cypress hill first album demo tape and few public enemy albums.. and maybe ghost dog OST.

not collecting it any more.. but cant rid of it to.. (wonder is it worth any money?) in 2001~ started to collect CD's.
    Repped for coming through with that All We Got Iz Us tape !

I've got original Public Enemy - Muse Sick-n-Hour Mess, Master P - Only God Can Judge Me cassette tapes (good condtition) and some other tapes if you want to buy or trade! PM me if needed...
    Last edited by rgu2002; 01-27-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    Nobody fucks with The Realest fan of Wu, R-G-to the U, two thousand and two !

Damn D O... I can't even find the CD of Nine Livez and you cop the tape lol. Classic album.
    You have a great collection, keep doing your thing...