Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Unknown [Bronze/Kevlaar] Assortment of Broken Down Lyrics..

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Default An Unknown [Bronze/Kevlaar] Assortment of Broken Down Lyrics..

this thread is gonna be for ALL questions/comments/whatever on lyrics from Bronze Nazareth and Kevlaar 7---that AREN'T on the Wisemen Approaching or TGM albums because we already have threads for those (see below)---for instance anything from the Unknown album that was released last year, and any random tracks that are floating around that haven't been released on an official album....i'm sure u understand what i'm talking about so i won't go any further with that..

first off i just want to gather into here the links to a couple of random threads i made not too long ago breaking down Bronze verses, ONE of which didn't get the attention i thought it deserved and Bronze himself apparently never peaked at:

Bronze verse on Magnolia

Bronze on "Nothing to Hide"

Waters of Nazareth

and for reference purposes, here's the Lyric Interpretation threads for the two albums:

The Great Migration (one of my alltime favorite Corp threads)

Wisemen Approaching

to start off this thread, i'd like to take a look at each brother's verse on the song "Streets is My Home", (mp3 link) a banger produced by Kevlaar 7 which features a mad visual verse from K7 and a dope creative verse from Bronze..

once again, as a disclaimer--i usually get some shit wrong, whether it's the meanings or the words being spoken and this song has some seriously CRAZY metaphors so i could be way off at times....but it's my best attempt here so enjoy

Streets is My Home

Verse One
    Kevlaar 7

Yo my blood is hazy, smokey glaze gaze in ways
    eyelids (or 'dye lids') cook up my hybrid, I've witnessed every act of violence

immediately beginning with some dark visual shit, both emcees are gonna portray a picture of themselves as being on some real-deal STREET shit...'my blood is hazy' because he's taken so many substances--whether it's crack, weed, alcohol, and everything else---and obviously that shit is in your blood..

if the second line is "dye lids" then he's sayin he cooks up his 'hybrid' aka his mix of chemicals--cocaine, meth, whatever--in a little lid..

"i've witnessed every act of violence" is a dope line that serves to put the finishing touches (just within the first two lines) of the scene we find ourselves in....some street, grimey, villainous individuals

Silence is isolated, i'm in a crowded basement
    sittin' adjacent cane vapors rainin', carbon faces

more great visual imagery, i take the second line to mean that there's all kinds of heavy smoke ('cane' is like a stick---so cigar, cigarette, blunt) floodin' this crowded basement...i love the picturesque 'carbon faces' line too

Decrepit humans sit in ruin, suicide's amazin
    flagrant patients inhale an icy danish, painted
    Delta 88, i sit inside the pipe and wait for fate to overcome it's niggaz who can't even see the sun

Delta-88 is an Oldsmobile car (pic), "sit inside the pipe" probably just means he's smokin that crack pipe and just lettin' time pass, waitin for "fate"--death--to overcome those decrepit cats who are trapped in prisons, and thus can't see the sun

I circulate around it
    display scenes surrounded
    by shadows and gallows, my smoke is not a trail to follow
    Survival is vital, smoke billows out the rivals window

now the tone changes a little i think, we're kinda back to reality, back to Earth (circulating the sun) and Kevlaar is sayin how he paints these shadowy dark scenes but his "smoke is not a trail to follow"---just like 'i'm not a role model, i walk a hard road to follow'---cuz he's paintin' these scenes not STRICTLY from imagination but partly from experience..

Swindle vandals sellin' handfuls and halos
    and ?rainbows? and Grey Goose, compliment me
    Anything to gain those, baked-up cocaine dose intensely

the wordplay is crazy in this verse...he deals with street characters sellin drugs, alcohol and death just to gain enough to smoke some more of that intense crack..

I stole the moon leavin' you an empty eclipse
    Ya brain rips a cavernous hole, occupyin ya soul

this last part i'm a little unsure of, i think Kevlaar is again coming out from behind the curtain and sayin how he just blew our minds with the crazy crackhead verse...i could be totally wrong

Signifyin' you dyin or ?signin'? kneading your dome
    I'm the reason ya homies have to be speakin in codes
    I explode outcomes, lungs and atoms are blown

same as previous comment

the Streets is My Home, cuz i need to be sold

this last line actually makes me re-think the entire verse....and if what i'm thinking is right, then it just makes the verse THAT MUCH MORE AWESOME: he could possibly be playin' the park of crack or cocaine or some other drug the whole time..
    in other words, the entire verse might be from the perspective--NOT of the person taking the drugs--but of the drug itself...
    i could be wrong but either way this is cool..

after Kev's verse there's a little clip discussing the 80s crack epidemic and how it "virtually devastated a generation"...a nice conclusion to the verse we just looked into...(and we'll see the same at the end of Bronze's verse)

next up is Bronze Nazareth, after Kevlaar has been wearing the mask of a crackhead (or crack rocks?) Bronze is now spittin' from the perspective of a bum on the streets...i freakin' LOVE this verse..

but again, there's alotta stuff that i'm not catching at all...

Verse Two
    Bronze Nazareth

The park bench is my bed, breathe the dark stench of the lead--

these type of verses--from both cats---are so poetic to me...i can imagine ppl on stage wearin' the clothes of the part and speaking these lines in a theatre or something....

he's living in the city, outside on a bench sleepin every night and constantly breathin in the polluted city air

--in the city air, my 16th pair of donated shoes
    the blow made me snooze, no dough for daily booze

i think 'the blow made me snooze' is a short line trying to sum up how his life got like this...

In God's Kitchen soup meals, who fields is dead?

^^this one escapes me for the most part...'God's Kitchen' might be a play on the NYC neighborhood Hell's Kitchen but it might also just be referring to the public kitchen thingys they have around the city for bums to come and have 'soup meals'....don't know what the second part means..[one site says the second part could be 'who feels he's dead?' and maybe it's like he's asking everyone in the soup kitchen]

Who real enough to sleep with cardboard over his head?
    When it rains, i shower, the bottle's always my best friend

A life of lonely travels wherever i lay my hat
    wherever the day be at, I always got darkened clouds--

describing the always hard life of a street bum..

--even when it's sunlight
    My son might be graduatin', ain't seen him since '86 his Rick Russell alligators
    are balanced on several layers,
    amongst candles and prayers
    the devil glares in my face in my night-mares!

he's a homeless guy who hasn't seen his son in years....he thinks his son is probably about the age where he would be graduating school and then the Rick Russell alligators part is confusing...
    i think it's referring to a kind of shoe, and that "Bum Bronze" has saved his son's shoes and made a little sort of shrine with them along with candles and prayers next to his cardboard box that he lives in....once again, this could be completely (embarrassingly) off..

Remember facing M-16s for my nation's army
    Now I'm facing the clerk, at the Salvation Army

he fought in war for the country, facing enemies guns but now he's got nothing--NO SUPPORT FROM THE COUNTRY HE DEFENDED---and he's at the Salvation Army tryin' to pick up clothes or whatever...

I asked God why I always had walked alone,
    no answer so there's no heaven, the Streets is My Home

there's been a few times where Bronze has loosely referenced in his verses an old parable where a person has a dream in which they're walking on the beach next to God and viewing all the scenes from their life in the sky and then they look back and see sometimes there's only one set of footprints in the sand and it's cuz those were the hard times in life when God carried him...(Sinuhe's Impasse: "that one set of footprints, i probly DID walk alone")

it's a pretty deep parable i think and for me personally Bronze's outlook on it seems to hit ever deeper...in this situation, he's fictionally representing a homeless man who's had a life of hardships and realized he's been going at it alone the whole time and his frustrated response at the very end is that "there's no heaven!!"....i think it's a beautiful ending
    Last edited by the silencer; 09-29-2008 at 07:33 PM.

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

Nice man.....
    Thanx the silencer!
    I liked Wisemen Approaching thread, and this one is good too!

Keep it up.............

Peace..................
    -suuuuuuuu///

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

This was a great read. Silencer always comes threw with the heat

PEACE! Silencer once again much appreciation. You after your breakdown you realized it. The whole verse i am talking from the eyes of the crack rock. Like the crack can tell you a story of all the shit it sees before being smoked up. Keep reppin' this is CRAZY interesting to see what ya'll are getting from our material. PEACE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlaar 7 View Post
    The whole verse i am talking from the eyes of the crack rock. Like the crack can tell you a story of all the shit it sees before being smoked up.

that shit is crazy...that kinda creativity is one of the reasons why i fuckin love hip hop..

i'll take a look at some more stuff soon but i don't have internet connection out in Cali now so i gotta sit down in internet cafes and shit when i wanna type stuff up...don't always get the chance to do that..

PEACE to all..

Default Handle the mothafuckin Heights

a quick look at Bronze's verse on Handle the Heights off the new Almighty album Original S.I.N....

i'm doin this in the hopes that at some point Bronze can come on here and clear a few things up cuz there's definitely a few lines i'm unsure of here.....also, i'm gonna be goin over a few other songs from the Almighty album as well very soon..

Handle the Heights
    [3rd verse]
    Bronze Nazareth

I spit heat-searin', beat-clearin' shots at ya sternum
    burn 'em and send Hallmark postcards to the sermon

crazy opening..he throws darts that are so powerful they're searin' from heat and their aimed right at the chest...where the heart is...then when the subject is dead, he'll send greeting cards to the sermon like everybody else..

Dirty vermin wit shiny crowns and the dirty gloves show me 30 rounds worth of love, bringin' in slugs

the kings of the underground syndicates, the head mobsters and criminals, all the 'vermin' show him love for his skills (which were described in the first two lines) by saluting him with rounds of gunshots..

I speak life sentences, trapped in the years
    Words escape like inmates from trap between ears

"I speak life sentences" is probably my favorite line besides the final one....so many meanings to that one line..life sentences could mean he spits that real-life shit, the stuff we can all relate to as ppl---but its also like he speaks on the dark and tragic shit like cats being imprisoned for life..

second line is using the same imagery as the first, he's freeing these 'inmates' that were trapped inside his brain...the symmetry as well as imagery (and deeper meanings) between the two lines is crazy..

Practice crackin' sutures, pollution from mutual war
    My thoughts on they theater shit like Lincoln on the fourth floor

this one I'm not too sure about at all, especially the second line..i don't even know whether or not I'm hearing it right...there's definitely some heavier meaning to it but it escapes me..

Keep the magnum P.I. on top of it, prophet
    Detroit west burglars with murderous logic
    pinpoint chest and vertebrae, get burnt through ya topic
    Servin' multitudes of fraudulent emcees be the conquest

again i'm pretty stumped...

the last line is of course sayin that the main goal, the conquest, is to serve or bring it to all these frauds that are emceeing nowadays...but besides that I need this one to be elaborated on..

We send warning from gas, harass like mad snacks

when i heard the "snacks" line at first I didn't think i was hearing it right...unless it's "harass like mad snags" which i don't think it is....otherwise I guess its referring to a whole shitload of candybars and shit like that----hard to resist, but i dono about harassing..

We toast we crack glass, smoke hash
    through Alaskan pipeline, recite grenades, Bronze sonic mind
    Runnin' in front of the grim reaper I'm ahead of my time..

i love the imagery on "smoke hash through Alaskan pipeline" and then of course the final line is one of the best on the whole cd, an absolutely insane metaphor which I don't think even needs any kind of explanation..

Obviously there's alot in the verse I'm unsure of and i also get the feeling that there's somethin goin on with the whole verse that I'm not catching yet but....any suggestions from anyone would of course be welcome...this shit is ripe for interpretation.

Default Killa Bee Swarm

a look at the first verse on Killa Bee Swarm...track 10 on the Almighty album..

Killa-bee, rhymin on mountains burnin' the forest down
    chucked with a spear, nouns revolve like all our crowns

cool imagery on the second line, the revolving head of a spear compared to the spinnin' words (nouns) coming out of a revolving compact disc (or record) and also the image of a crown upon the heads of his kingly crew..

We sting like White Horse up in ya nose,
    or black talons from desert eagles that scrape ya bones

the killa bee sting is a sharp one like takin' a blast of coke thru the nose, or like the gash from a ridiculously sharp talon of an eagle....Bronze uses the eagle talon image pretty often in his rhymes it seems like..

needles to an arm on tracks came thru veins,
    on tracks that we run trains.

first line is fuckin ridiculous...so many of his words have double meanings, that's one of the reasons its fun to break this shit down..."track marks" is a term used to describe the needle marks all over the arms of a crackhead, heroine addict, whatever so---continuing with the comparison of the killa bee sting---it's like the poke of a needle into your forearm but you can also look at it as like you're diggin the needle into your skin but your injecting the "track", this song, into your veins, into your blood...its gonna get your blood pumping.....ALSO "on tracks came thru veins" can be referring to the music that they make which comes from the heart..

then the second line is switchin up the imagery now to refer the tracks to the smooth flow of a train along a train track...the tracks are so vivid and real that u can run a fuckin train on them....(also "run trains" is like when a crew of dudes bangs a chick for example Ghostface: "Jamie Sommer got trained on the tour bus" so the line can mean like they're raping the beat...)

Each wheel spin well stay in one lane stay in gun aim postures,
    a murderous rhyme scope wit U in the crosshairs

continuing with the train imagery, each aspect of the song (or of the crew, the Wisemen, whatever) plays its part perfectly, each wheel spins perfectly along the track....from there he switches to another image by the use of nice wordplay and the second line here is just nuts..

I slice off ears if I'm not verse of the month
    I'm perfectly numb, suffer from a curse of the young
    slurpin' up rum, burnin' up slums, smirkin at nuns
    dirtiest guns tossed in the murkiest ponds

i love this part.."perfectly numb" has become part of my vocabulary in real life and then he goes on to describe the "curse of the young" in a pretty slick way...
    "dirtiest guns tossed in the murkiest ponds" brings to mind Dom Pachino on Red Dawn: "scuffed up guns, toss the filthy heat then run....serial scraped, found it in a nearby lake, dried it off an hour later caught ya man for his cake"

My thoughts worth the earth's weight in the purplest dimes,
    I should shine enough to sit on thrones in land mines

my interpretation of the second line on this one is probably wrong but I like it...
    the first line is obvious (and it's a crazy dart)--"my mind is worth about as much as 6 tons of some seriously sticky weed"
    and the second one I take as meaning his talent is so great, his shine so bright that he should be sittin on thrones underground....he should be an underground rap king.....the explosion when he says "land mines" probably makes the meaning something totally different (land mines like the kind on war fields not like mine shafts underground) but I like mine...

Move in wit Michigan Militia,
    bullets, rhymes, darts, or criminals might hit ya

i love the second line, this has really gotta be one of his dopest non-Great Migration verses...it may even be his best verse on the Almighty album---only one that would come close is probably his one on Think Piece (or Handle the Heights if I can understand a few more of the lines)...
    when i saw the Michael Moore documentary "Bowling for Columbine" they had a little segment on the Michigan Militia and this line immediately popped into my head...its a real group, check it out here the story is pretty fuckin cool..

Stingin precision with a sawed-off paragraph
    seduce ya queen bee into a bubble straw berry bath

another crazy set of lines, what a fuckin verse this is....he's precisely blastin with a paragraph (a verse) that's got the impact of a sawed-off shotgun....nasty

and then the second line is a favorite of mine and i love the way he delivers it...

Number-one Miller draft pick, killer bee drastic
    Aamco rhyme, chemical flow, cement jungle habits

a nice little finish, mostly playin on the words like Miller Genuine Draft beer and Aamco is either referring to the auto repair service (so the rhymes are precise) or i THINK there is also a gasoline company with that name so it's like the rhymes is smooth, thus "chemical flow"..
    the draft pick part could also be used in the way he delivered it on the intro to the first Thought for Food mixtape, "Honest feelins I'm appealin/Masses to catch this Wu draft pick" like he's a newly drafted player on the mighty Wu squad..

Default Tarantula's Web

I'm gonna check out a couple of Kevlaar songs...first up is that high energy, fast-paced banger Tarantula's Web...

here's an mp3 link for those that don't have it...

the usual disclaimer doesn't quite fully apply to this song because the lyrics I'm presenting are definitely correct, they are straight from the artist himself....the only thing i gotta say is that I might be interpreting some stuff wrong but as usual, I'm gonna do my best....

First verse:

It’s raining grenades, my ace, I maintain
    I got a gun-brella to pepper magenta
    And crimson crayola thru sweaters
    On that back wall or that back hall--

the whole scene painted throughout the song is gonna be one of hectic crazy-ness, it's like Kevlaar is in the middle of the streets during a rebellion and spittin flames out his mouth to make his way thru the crowd..

here it starts off with grenades raining thru the air and this could be taken literally as in the scene i mentioned above, or metaphorically as meaning the stresses of life---sometimes it just feels like it's raining on you and in this case it's raining fuckin grenades....
    but thru it all he's trying to maintain and he's got a gat (the term 'gun-brella' conjures up the image of a spinning revolver) that can 'pepper' or splatter blood (crimson and magenta are different shades of red) thru ppl's shirts and onto the wall behind them.....a pretty vivid picture in just the first few lines..

Payola’s over rated but an Alex Haley story
    And evil’s how we make it

'Payola' is the illegal practice of record companies paying the radio stations to play certain songs, with the radio station pretending its part of the regular broadcast....anybody from NY who puts on Hot97 these days hears this as they play the same WHACK corny shit over and over throughout the day...
    so it's like he's saying this bullshit mainstream rap nowadays is mad overrated...and since music is supposed to be the escape for those trapped in fucked up situations and they're being fed nothing but bullshit, they turn to effective stories like Roots (Alex Haley's classic) in order to maintain or else turn to the evils---crime, murder, robbery, whatever...

Wasted chances, witnesses glancing
    A Ben Johnson finish is still expenditures

going along perfectly now from the "evil is how we make it" part to now visualizing the shit that goes down in the streets...'wasted chances' means a young brother who just got gunned down with 'witnesses glancing' at the scene and the ambulances and all that shit...

the Ben Johnson line sorta escapes me...referring to ppl tryin to run from danger or gun-fights or whatever and getting gunned down?? i dono....

Still it’s just mad angles, tarantula webs
    Dismantling heads

it's just mad angles, it's just all different kinds of stories and paths that are leading into different shit and situations happening-----these paths are all getting tangled up into some horrificly beautiful trap like a big Tarantula Web...

and ppl getting caught up in this shit are losing their minds, it's dismantling their heads..

Beds niggas lay in they not making

metaphor for brother's laying inside caskets...

Adjacent from peace my piece is laying
    Contemplating a grip from my right hand
    Banded rubber money just so my seeds ain’t hungry

first line is, to me, a pretty damn poetic dart about all this street shit...i think it's easy, as a fan of that hardcore street hip hop, to sometimes catch heat from others who aren't fans cuz they can't understand why a regular person would listen to music about guns and shit like that but this here---this is a sensitive poetic brother who's been implanted in the midst of this shit and is honestly (and vividly) expressing his perspective on that kinda hard life.....shit is Shakespearean to me and I will love it until I'm an old grandpa, this is what hip hop is about to me..

Funny how ignorance is linked to dependence
    Reflect negative senses and flipping reciprocals

i could probably take a crack at it, but i need this one explained to me actually...

Street genius individuals, keep clean hands minimal
    Spin a tool and see where one slug lands

bust a random shot up in the air, 'spin a tool' is that same image from earlier of a revolver's spinning barrel..

Lift off my casket pillow and slapped all hands
    I’m not ready, heavy I’m not
    Got the globe on my shoulders, speak coal into diamonds
    Off my grave roll boulders…

i think this is kind of a reference to death in the Gravediggaz type of perspective, mental death....so he's saying that even tho he's a street brother he ain't mentally dead, except he's using a crazy metaphor in order to say it...
    'heavy I'm not' sounds to me like he ain't just dead weight, he's still alive and then he goes right from that into a metaphor for having 'the weight of the world' on his shoulders...
    'Speak coal into diamonds' is a CRAZY line, probably the best one in the whole song....thru his words he can convert the rugged blacktop cement, STREET life into pure beauty; poetic music..

Second Verse:

what's dope about the second verse is that it is slightly symmetrical to the first one...by that I mean a couple of the lines are spit in the same place as the first verse and with a similar meaning but different words to describe it...
    the energy also starts to really pick up on the second verse..

Its storming javelin’s, a war’s unraveling
    Trust me you’ll imagine dabbling in D’evils

i fuckin love this part right here...same kinda picture painted as the first line of the first verse: the situation is getting crazy and chaotic, the sky is storming javelins (or spears), and craziness is ensuing------through all this shit happening he's saying TRUST ME you will start to consider dabbling into that evil shit (murder, stealing, drug-dealin, whatever is necessary) which was so beautifully portrayed in the song "D'evils" off Jay-Z's first album, an amazing classic song produced by the legendary DJ Premier...

Arsenal outlast you, cash rule a man I’m supernatural
    Stash two in the back drew, draw if you have to

his 'arsenal', or armory of weapons will outlast you in a battle (certainly can be taken from the perspective of a rap battle as well)---Cash Rules everybody but he's saying he's supernatural, in other words he is not susceptible to the allure of CREAM..

second line seems to me to be simply describing how he's got two guns behind his waist and, still in that battle mode, he's challenging whoever to draw their weapon too...

Laugh as I gargle lava, chase it with vodka
    Problems on my back about the size of a continent

as i said, now it's gettin crazy....now he's getting psychotic almost---you can imagine that insane image of him crazily laughing and gargling hot lava in his throat and then washing it down with vodka (a funny twist since one usually washes down vodka with something else)...
    the 'problems on my back..' line is a far-reaching metaphor in the same vein as the line 'got the globe on my shoulders' in the first verse....when i say it's a far-reaching metaphor i mean that he's already described this feeling clearly once in the first verse and now he's seemingly more stressed out and more crazy and he's delivering a more abstract and harder-to-unravel metaphor about this problem....

Ten black shotty’s in a cauldron, mold my problems
    Sold these baggies and fed my soldiers they rations

first line is a little vague to me, I can't fully get it...his descriptions of his weapons and his feelings about them are pretty freakin deep (this is obvious in a few other songs I'm gonna dig into too)...

second line is similar to the 'keep clean hands minimal' line in the first verse, he's selling drugs and then distributing rations (food, money, any kind of resources) to his street soldiers..

Jakes banging, I’m running like Starks and Drew Stanton
    The Phantom in denim, vanish in street shadows

the cops are chasing after him kicking down doors and shit and he's running away similar to Ghost's famous descriptions in his song or the former Michigan State University (and current Detroit Lions) quarterback running outta the pocket from pressure...

the second line is a mad visual, almost comic-book-like description of how he walks thru the dark alleys of the streets and vanishes into the shadows...

Angles I come from the average nigga runs from
    Sundown to sunup, grinding for the come up

'angles' has the same meaning as it did in the first verse, the path he's coming from is one that most well-meaning folks try hard to avoid..

The jungle is thick I got machete’s and whips
    Whips on wheels not scars on my back I still feel

the jungle refers to the 'concrete jungle' and he's taking that metaphor a little further saying that he's got jungle weapons to get him thru the crazy place but then he immediately flips it in the next line...see, 'machetes and whips' is what you imagine a jungle traveler carrying but he flips the whip part saying that "nah, I'm talking about cars not that shit they used to whip slaves with" and making a reference to his ancestral lineage with slavery and how he still feels the scars from it...

It’s all real, stay dropping science for the babies
    Speak coal into diamonds, daydreams to realism

reminding us that everything described in the song is REAL, and then stay educating the babies, just like ODB said...

second line repeats that beautiful metaphor from the first verse and then "daydreams to realism" is another deep aphorism..

Intentions of rhythms keep you busy while I pillage
    Still it’s just the heat killer, Intense as my grill is

this is a cool dart here...'intentions of rhythms' is the music, the beats, whatever and that keeps our minds busy while he pillages the track; lyrically going crazy on it...
    second line is a clever play on the description of a grill---the grill of a car is there to let the engine release it's heat, this song and all of Kevlaar's music is just a 'heat killer' in other words it's his way of letting off steam, letting out his stress...and that in the end he plays it on his OWN grill---like his face (his intense 'ice grill' so to speak) is just letting out the heat, the flames, the crazy raps, but also the stresses of life...

On the hills I walk with 12 men following
    Spit 3rd world gems, all my niggas stay hollering…

a play on the 12 Apostles but also could be referring to him being the Sun with the 12 signs of the zodiac following...
    he just keeps on spittin those gems, those diamonds and all his brothers stay hollering....hollering that chorus chant which the song closes out with...

Last edited by the silencer; 09-04-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added a couple links i forgot..

Veteran Member

interesting...
    poppa large, big shot on the east coast..

PEACE- All my comments or clarifications are in red italics fams… It’s raining grenades, my ace, I maintain
    I got a gun-brella to pepper magenta
    And crimson crayola thru sweaters
    On that back wall or that back hall--

the whole scene painted throughout the song is gonna be one of hectic crazy-ness, it's like Kevlaar is in the middle of the streets during a rebellion and spittin flames out his mouth to make his way thru the crowd..

here it starts off with grenades raining thru the air and this could be taken literally as in the scene i mentioned above, or metaphorically as meaning the stresses of life---sometimes it just feels like it's raining on you and in this case it's raining fuckin grenades....
    but thru it all he's trying to maintain and he's got a gat (the term 'gun-brella' conjures up the image of a spinning revolver) that can 'pepper' or splatter blood (crimson and magenta are different shades of red) thru ppl's shirts and onto the wall behind them.....a pretty vivid picture in just the first few lines..

Definitley on point Silencer, as far as the metaphor goes. Often times life make you feel like it’s raining grenades or javelins, whatever have you. Also trying to maintain thru all the craziness, you have to protect yourself, watch your back, don’t get caught sleeping, etc. which leads to the gun-brella(umbrella) metaphor as far as protection from the rain (grenades) and splattering whoever throwing them joints…wordPayola’s over rated but an Alex Haley story
    And evil’s how we make it

'Payola' is the illegal practice of record companies paying the radio stations to play certain songs, with the radio station pretending its part of the regular broadcast....anybody from NY who puts on Hot97 these days hears this as they play the same WHACK corny shit over and over throughout the day...
    so it's like he's saying this bullshit mainstream rap nowadays is mad overrated...and since music is supposed to be the escape for those trapped in fucked up situations and they're being fed nothing but bullshit, they turn to effective stories like Roots (Alex Haley's classic) in order to maintain or else turn to the evils---crime, murder, robbery, whatever...

Basically what I’m saying here is Payola’s overrated because it will never hurt the spirit or integrity, or REALNESS hip hop can bring so fuck it; at the same time you gotta take the good with the bad, the yin and the yang and all that good shit so had to say as an exception…(but an Alex Haley story and evil’s how we make it) referring to the root of all evil, money; so Payola is feeding someone’s kids so fuck it. Gotta take the bad with the good too…Wasted chances, witnesses glancing
    A Ben Johnson finish is still expenditures

going along perfectly now from the "evil is how we make it" part to now visualizing the shit that goes down in the streets...'wasted chances' means a young brother who just got gunned down with 'witnesses glancing' at the scene and the ambulances and all that shit...

the Ben Johnson line sorta escapes me...referring to ppl tryin to run from danger or gun-fights or whatever and getting gunned down?? i dono....

You on point with the wasted chances and witnesses glancing( insert whatever scene you’ve had to endure in your life). The Ben Johnson line is a metaphor for doing whatever the fuck you have to do to get by. Ben Johnson was taking steroids to win his gold metal right? But he was caught for cheating, so they took his gold medal and all that shit. But does anyone remember who was second and was awarded the gold medal when Ben’s was taken away? Someone probably does but most don’t. But you WILL remember Ben Johnson forever. It may be costly(expenditure)but you HAVE to pay the price). they took his medal but he'll live forever in infamy. I also had a typo in my own shit- it’s supposed to be EXPENDI-TOUS… which I don’t even think it’s a fuckin word but I did what I had to do to get my muthafuckin point across right?…..Still it’s just mad angles, tarantula webs
    Dismantling heads

it's just mad angles, it's just all different kinds of stories and paths that are leading into different shit and situations happening-----these paths are all getting tangled up into some horrificly beautiful trap like a big Tarantula Web...

and ppl getting caught up in this shit are losing their minds, it's dismantling their heads..

You on point g…Beds niggas lay in they not making

Could be a metaphor for that, but what I was referring to was how brutha’s commit a certain act(laying in the bed) like getting a woman pregnant, and not taking care of your seed(not making your bed) to get my point across as far as niggas not taking care of they responsibilities…Adjacent from peace my piece is laying
    Contemplating a grip from my right hand
    Banded rubber money just so my seeds ain’t hungry

first line is, to me, a pretty damn poetic dart about all this street shit...i think it's easy, as a fan of that hardcore street hip hop, to sometimes catch heat from others who aren't fans cuz they can't understand why a regular person would listen to music about guns and shit like that but this here---this is a sensitive poetic brother who's been implanted in the midst of this shit and is honestly (and vividly) expressing his perspective on that kinda hard life.....shit is Shakespearean to me and I will love it until I'm an old grandpa, this is what hip hop is about to me..

You CRAZY up on that shit right here silencer. Your point about a mufukka who doesn’t listen to hard street hip hop’s, opinion on a regular person is off point because we all go thru this type of shit right here in a metaphorical way no matter where you from…so it’s universal. You implanted in the jungle and you a peaceful dude in the middle of violence and all that shit or a person who is planted in an office with a bunch of backstabbing, shit talking behind ya back mufukkas is basically the same shit. You GOING to find your way out of the trap or you have to deal with it and it is what it is…THAT shit is HIP HOP straight up.Funny how ignorance is linked to dependence
    Reflect negative senses and flipping reciprocals

i could probably take a crack at it, but i need this one explained to me actually...

Ignorance is always linked to drug addicts, or “criminals”, or shady individuals... But you should never judge a person by they downfalls because you don’t even know this mufukka or they story… a janitor could have a masters degree in psychology or sum shit and caught 2 felonies for some reason and HAD to take whatever job he could get to survive because he don’t want to go back da bing because he got 3 seeds to take care of… GOTTA hold down some type of employmentStreet genius individuals, keep clean hands minimal
    Spin a tool and see where one slug lands

bust a random shot up in the air, 'spin a tool' is that same image from earlier of a revolver's spinning barrel..

Lift off my casket pillow and slapped all hands
    I’m not ready, heavy I’m not
    Got the globe on my shoulders, speak coal into diamonds
    Off my grave roll boulders…

i think this is kind of a reference to death in the Gravediggaz type of perspective, mental death....so he's saying that even tho he's a street brother he ain't mentally dead, except he's using a crazy metaphor in order to say it...
    'heavy I'm not' sounds to me like he ain't just dead weight, he's still alive and then he goes right from that into a metaphor for having 'the weight of the world' on his shoulders...
    'Speak coal into diamonds' is a CRAZY line, probably the best one in the whole song....thru his words he can convert the rugged blacktop cement, STREET life into pure beauty; poetic music..

On point again silencer… shit is ill

Second Verse:

what's dope about the second verse is that it is slightly symmetrical to the first one...by that I mean a couple of the lines are spit in the same place as the first verse and with a similar meaning but different words to describe it...
    the energy also starts to really pick up on the second verse..

Its storming javelin’s, a war’s unraveling
    Trust me you’ll imagine dabbling in D’evils

i fuckin love this part right here...same kinda picture painted as the first line of the first verse: the situation is getting crazy and chaotic, the sky is storming javelins (or spears), and craziness is ensuing------through all this shit happening he's saying TRUST ME you will start to consider dabbling into that evil shit (murder, stealing, drug-dealin, whatever is necessary) which was so beautifully portrayed in the song "D'evils" off Jay-Z's first album, an amazing classic song produced by the legendary DJ Premier...

That shit is true story fam; shit be getting so real you often times seriously consider doing what you have to do for your family to eat. It’s called survival. If you choose to do so be ready to suffer the consequences, death or incarceration, or maybe you do your dirt for a minute then get back to the struggle…It’s these choices that shape our lives.
    Arsenal outlast you, cash rule a man I’m supernatural
    Stash two in the back drew, draw if you have to

his 'arsenal', or armory of weapons will outlast you in a battle (certainly can be taken from the perspective of a rap battle as well)---Cash Rules everybody but he's saying he's supernatural, in other words he is not susceptible to the allure of CREAM..

second line seems to me to be simply describing how he's got two guns behind his waist and, still in that battle mode, he's challenging whoever to draw their weapon too...

On point…
    Laugh as I gargle lava, chase it with vodka
    Problems on my back about the size of a continent

as i said, now it's gettin crazy....now he's getting psychotic almost---you can imagine that insane image of him crazily laughing and gargling hot lava in his throat and then washing it down with vodka (a funny twist since one usually washes down vodka with something else)...
    the 'problems on my back..' line is a far-reaching metaphor in the same vein as the line 'got the globe on my shoulders' in the first verse....when i say it's a far-reaching metaphor i mean that he's already described this feeling clearly once in the first verse and now he's seemingly more stressed out and more crazy and he's delivering a more abstract and harder-to-unravel metaphor about this problem....

Definitely… that shit sets in and you think you gonna go crazy for real. Cats turn to the bottle or that smoke or that pipe to cope. wordTen black shotty’s in a cauldron, mold my problems
    Sold these baggies and fed my soldiers they rations

first line is a little vague to me, I can't fully get it...his descriptions of his weapons and his feelings about them are pretty freakin deep (this is obvious in a few other songs I'm gonna dig into too)...

second line is similar to the 'keep clean hands minimal' line in the first verse, he's selling drugs and then distributing rations (food, money, any kind of resources) to his street
    soldiers..

Some of our problems come from the easy EASY access we have to firearms. Then it’s a liquor store right next to it, etcetera etcetera. So what I was thinking was throw all my gats in a cauldron, melt them mufukkas down and mold my problems(guns) into something to advance my life or my seeds life.. Jakes banging, I’m running like Starks and Drew Stanton
    The Phantom in denim, vanish in street shadows

the cops are chasing after him kicking down doors and shit and he's running away similar to Ghost's famous descriptions in his song or the former Michigan State University (and current Detroit Lions) quarterback running outta the pocket from pressure...

the second line is a mad visual, almost comic-book-like description of how he walks thru the dark alleys of the streets and vanishes into the shadows...

On point with that shit like a mufukka; second line too; you know I’m the superhero of the hood G…
    Angles I come from the average nigga runs from
    Sundown to sunup, grinding for the come up

'angles' has the same meaning as it did in the first verse, the path he's coming from is one that most well-meaning folks try hard to avoid..

Word…The jungle is thick I got machete’s and whips
    Whips on wheels not scars on my back I still feel

the jungle refers to the 'concrete jungle' and he's taking that metaphor a little further saying that he's got jungle weapons to get him thru the crazy place but then he immediately flips it in the next line...see, 'machetes and whips' is what you imagine a jungle traveler carrying but he flips the whip part saying that "nah, I'm talking about cars not that shit they used to whip slaves with" and making a reference to his ancestral lineage with slavery and how he still feels the scars from it...

You hit the nail on the head once again silencer… also the reference to my ancestral lineage with slavery, we all still feel scars from it whether we know it or not, it has been instilled in us over the hundreds of years of slavery, such as the divide and conquer agenda…It’s all real, stay dropping science for the babies
    Speak coal into diamonds, daydreams to realism

reminding us that everything described in the song is REAL, and then stay educating the babies, just like ODB said...

second line repeats that beautiful metaphor from the first verse and then "daydreams to realism" is another deep aphorism..

Intentions of rhythms keep you busy while I pillage
    Still it’s just the heat killer, Intense as my grill is

this is a cool dart here...'intentions of rhythms' is the music, the beats, whatever and that keeps our minds busy while he pillages the track; lyrically going crazy on it...
    second line is a clever play on the description of a grill---the grill of a car is there to let the engine release it's heat, this song and all of Kevlaar's music is just a 'heat killer' in other words it's his way of letting off steam, letting out his stress...and that in the end he plays it on his OWN grill---like his face (his intense 'ice grill' so to speak) is just letting out the heat, the flames, the crazy raps, but also the stresses of life...

As far as the pillaging shit, I meant that the beat will keep you busy while I pillage all the negative thoughts and all that shit, take it out of the equation so we can focus on building
    You got the rest correct.
    On the hills I walk with 12 men following
    Spit 3rd world gems, all my niggas stay hollering…

a play on the 12 Apostles but also could be referring to him being the Sun with the 12 signs of the zodiac following...
    he just keeps on spittin those gems, those diamonds and all his brothers stay hollering....hollering that chorus chant which the song closes out with...

Basically a play on me being the prophet with my 12 disciples, telling niggas they need to LISTEN and do the math on these lyrics. Word. 3rd world gems meaning I drop the illest jewels so take heed and keep listening and reppin’ (all my niggas stay hollering…)
    Last edited by Kevlaar 7; 09-05-2008 at 05:04 PM.

I'm The Master MingLuKhan Ya_Bane's Avatar

Great thread Silencer, always an interesting read! Through the thread I thought of alot of comments, wich I ofcourse don't remember any now lol.. Much props, I'll check the other threads too to see if I missed any, I think I did.

Also much props to K7 for coming here deciphering your poems for us, much love, keep doing yours, looking forward to the upcoming projects.

speak coal into diamonds
    ^^ I agree that line is fucken crazy!

Practice crackin' sutures, pollution from mutual war
    My thoughts on they theater shit like Lincoln on the fourth floor

this one I'm not too sure about at all, especially the second line..i don't even know whether or not I'm hearing it right...there's definitely some heavier meaning to it but it escapes me..
    About the second line, don't know if you just left this out or didn't think about it, but I'm guessing he's talking about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre.

Beds niggas lay in they not making

Could be a metaphor for that, but what I was referring to was how brutha’s commit a certain act(laying in the bed) like getting a woman pregnant, and not taking care of your seed(not making your bed) to get my point across as far as niggas not taking care of they responsibilities…
    Also a sick line!
    http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31674&dateline=119438  0796

shit is awesome, thanks for coming thru with the explanations Kevlaar....this stuff really enhances the music..

shit just blows me away, PEACE 2 kev for droppin knowledge, keep it up with this thread silencer

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Bane View Post

About the second line, don't know if you just left this out or didn't think about it, but I'm guessing he's talking about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre.
    i actually just left it out but now that u mention it like that I think I can catch the line...

it sounds like:
    "My thoughts on that theater shit like Lincoln on the Ford floor"

now that line becomes way more deeper...his thoughts (his lyrics) are focused on that dramatic, cinematic type shit that grabs you and then he's using the Lincoln thing as kind of a double-meaning AND metaphor....because mentioning Lincoln conjures the image of him watching a play at Ford's theater but then "like Lincoln ON THE FORD FLOOR" is an image of the President layin on the floor after being shot with blood pouring from his head....

and then with all the extra added connotations of Lincoln as an abolitionist and tryin to free the slaves, this "dramatic" image of him layin on the theater floor with his dome pouring out blood is even deeper....it's a powerful image and B is sayin his thoughts are constantly on that type of shit..

Default Come to Life Faster (off the Almighty album)

a quick look at the joint Come to Life Faster off the Almighty album, Bronze's solo joint on there produced by Purpose...alotta ppl's favorite song on the album..

there's a bunch of lines and phrases that I don't get at all in this song but I'm pretty sure I've got the rest of it right..

(the lyrics are taken from those that DaSun typed up for Chambermusik, with just a couple corrections from me....)

I'm pretty sure the theme is a short life review/autobiography type of thing where Bronze is just very quickly and briefly taking u through his life and bringin it all back to right now..

Come to Life Faster (prod by Purpose)

[Bronze Nazareth]

Yo, born in the 12th month, angels felt cold huh?
    Word to my old pop, keep venom like the cobra

born in the cold month of December, the angels delivering him must've been feeling that brisk Michigan weather...also could be looked at as like the angels were 'cold' in a bad way, making this baby have to begin his life in a freezing cold tundra type of environment..

for the second line.....i'm not too sure of the 'keep venom' line---the first thing that comes to mind is that he inherited his dad's temper, his "venom"....but it could also have a different connotation with the snake/venom image but I'll leave that one alone and let you use your imagination...

Grow wild in the open, to open bottles often
    Drank my pain away it felt like coffins...

moving on thru his life, the first line brings the image of how plants or trees left alone in wilderness spread freely and "grow wild" but it's used to represent how young Bronze was let loose to grow up in the streets and get into some wild shit, drinking 40 oz bottles in the streets.....
    and then using this habit to try to drown out his sorrows and stresses in life (a description i remember Nas using a bunch of times in the past) but doing so was killin him, the physical wear that heavy drinking has on the body (could also be a double meaning about holding up a coffin as a pall bearer, holding onto a bottle? i dono....maybe that's a reach)

Cement often...rose just to spite me,
    reality hit hard like Ike T (??) [or Ice Tea?]

seems like the ground was rising up to trip him up along his journey at times...the second part I'm really unsure of...Reality hit hard is understandable but i dono who "Ike T" is...i was thinking it could also be either Ice Tea as in Long Island Ice Tea which is a drink that goes down smooth but then will hit you HARD when u realize how drunk you've gotten...or 'Ice-T' as in the reality show he used to have....i dono..

I'm on the porch sheisty,
    blunted middle finger to the po-lice
    black hoody, when times get ugly the street mad pretty

chillin up on the porch at a house party or wherever, blazin blunts and flailing the fuck-you at the cops.....last line is a nice one, trying to make some cash off the street life seems pretty tempting when the legit way ain't doing it for u...

Handle my city wit my palm, nigga I'm grown
    "I gotta help keep the heat and the lights on"

now he's grown up, he's an adult and he's got to seriously handle his situation and support himself (and family)...
    according to DaSun, the second line is quoting Cee-Lo of Goodie Mob on the song "Thought Process" and it's reiterating how he's at the stage now where he's gotta get his shit together and bring in some money to help pay the bills (this line really struck me personally when the song first dropped cuz I had just moved out to Cali and was gettin used to having my own apartment and having to put the gas and electricity on and start paying for that shit.....somethin new to me)

I'm flowin in but no money outta this microphone,
    I recite a war poem while jumpin over obstacles

this is his chosen craft, he's an artist ('starving artist') trying to make his money this way, by rapping on mics but he's not seeing too much money out of it as an underground artist in an age where bullshit reigns on the surface...
    i love the second line, referring to the verses as a 'war poem' reminds of Killarmy and he's hurdling over the obstacles in life at the same time as he writing and producing and rapping...
    just these two short lines give a perfect picture of where B is coming from, putting his art out there to support himself but life is always throwing shit at you it seems...

Same stanza have a stranger strangled, vivid as Maya Angelou
    Tangible rhyme animal, hungry to eat

I may not have the words right in the beginning but if it is it's got an obvious meaning and it's a dope one...he can come with that hard, angry rugged battle-rap type shit but also with vivid poetic beauty..

Released on furloughs (?) from my mind to follow God's feet

I'm gonna leave this one alone...someone else take a crack at it or else hopefully Bronze will explain some time..

I repeat like a broke record, habits that choke leopards
    Lungs open like receivers, sung open wounds closed like them old voodoo healers

he's stays stuck in those same old habits (smokin weed, getting drunk, whatever) that can 'choke' (think of coughing) a leopard (a mad athletic animal that runs like crazy)...

I love the last part about the voodoo healers...you could look at it like "lungs open" is a double meaning for both blazing Ls (continuing from the first line) but also speaking/reciting lyrics and doing so he's letting off steam and stress in a positive way and healing his own open wounds in the process...

While my niggas slammed in mausoleums,
    the nausea will keep you scratchin at the coffin tops
    Causin' gusts of poisonous wind drafts that make the neighbors call the cops

my favorite lines of the whole song..
    witnessing his brothers, good friends whatever being killed and then placed in caskets (a mausoleum is a big-ass cemetery monument) makes him sick to the point where he's tryin to dig them up outta the ground....

'gusts of poisonous wind drafts' is the deep, SCREAMS of sorrow from the heart at losing a close companion so early...

32 flavors I drop...at the speed of a feather
    get ya shit broke like flower pots and Mayweather.....

He drops that colorful, flavorful artistic shit so smoothly and gracefully.....but what's great about this line to me (and this had to be unintentional) was the connection with the number 32...in James Joyce's book Ulysses (regarded as the greatest novel of the 20th century), the main character is constantly thinking throughout the book about the Law of Falling Bodies which is basically gravity (and it's got all kinds of deeper meanings in Joyce's work about the Fall of Man)----but he describes it as being 32 feet per second per second....he's constantly talking about that number 32 in that way...

second line is just like the sound waves might shatter your flower pot or blast you in the face like a Floyd Mayweather punch.....Mayweather is a famously awesome boxer who's from Bronze's hometown Grand Rapids ('Gun Rule') and then the song ends with Mayweather talking...
    Last edited by the silencer; 09-11-2008 at 07:25 PM.