Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The W" review

Default "The W" review

Exceptional. Its not surprising this under-performed commercially but I think its a much tighter project overall than "Forever". "Forever" had more standout tracks but was also too long with a few overlong or unimportant songs. It was also more of a mixtape with no real focused concept or sound. "The W", on the other hand, feels like what Forever should've been if it were 1 disc. Besides one extremely mid song ("The Monument", I think Busta Rhymes is overrated af), every other track has sharp verses, great group chemistry and RZA being as grimy and experimental as he was on "36 Chambers". The album's only weakness is that it ends quickly which seems even shorter after the extremely long "Forever".

I've heard this album called "too poppy". Really stupid criticism imo. The only thing making this more commercial is its short length, the club quality of "Gravel Pit" and guest appearances by kinda wack pop rappers like Snoop and Busta. If you delete Snoop and Busta from this, it might be their best album. I especially love "I Can't Go To Sleep" which is the third in the trilogy of songs by RZA and Ghostface rapping about racism, STDs & black-on-crime after "Tearz" and "Impossible". These 3 songs are the best from their first 3 albums and "Tearz" was also the first official song recorded by TWC (as"After the Laughter"). So The W feels like the 3rd in a trilogy and a bookend to Golden Age Wu for me.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space

Its a classic. To me peoples objections to The Monument or any other song are just wrong.

Even Conditioner aged well.

Yeah, eventually I got over 'The Monument' as well. Dope album. I always liked 'Conditioner' btw.

Some of my fav tracks are Red Bull, Hollow Bones, Careful & Can't Go To Sleep.
    Retired.

Jah World is such a great track.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

the album age well

MC Conditioner is a great except Snoop has the 2nd worst verse on the album. Still better than Busta. Neither guy is a spitter and just slows the momentum and IQ level of the album.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

{>____<}

I love The Monument. GZA did good!
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

GZA's track at the end of Conditioner was great too. No reason to not make that a full Clan track.

{>____<}

^Agreed. That piece was too short.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Seed View Post
    MC Conditioner is a great except Snoop has the 2nd worst verse on the album. Still better than Busta. Neither guy is a spitter and just slows the momentum and IQ level of the album.
    Busta Rhymes can spit when he wants to. He raps according to the type of beat he is on. Monument is a mellow type track, so he was mellow on there. I think he would have been great on Red Bull with Redman, so he could get hype
    Last edited by David Daniel Davis; 08-07-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    ^Agreed. That piece was too short.
    What did GZA say... "Make it brief son, half short and twice strong" from "As High As Wu Tang Get" lol
    Jks aside yeah I feel you re the dope tease. Appreciate those hidden dope joints. The Clan could even revisit that beat now to make it a full song and it would be DOPEness!
    PEACE

Exceptional. Its not surprising this under-performed commercially but I think its a much tighter project overall than "Forever". "Forever" had more standout tracks but was also too long with a few overlong or unimportant songs. It was also more of a mixtape with no real focused concept or sound. "The W", on the other hand, feels like what Forever should've been if it were 1 disc. Besides one extremely mid song ("The Monument", I think Busta Rhymes is overrated af), every other track has sharp verses, great group chemistry and RZA being as grimy and experimental as he was on "36 Chambers". The album's only weakness is that it ends quickly which seems even shorter after the extremely long "Forever".

I've heard this album called "too poppy". Really stupid criticism imo. The only thing making this more commercial is its short length, the club quality of "Gravel Pit" and guest appearances by kinda wack pop rappers like Snoop and Busta. If you delete Snoop and Busta from this, it might be their best album. I especially love "I Can't Go To Sleep" which is the third in the trilogy of songs by RZA and Ghostface rapping about racism, STDs & black-on-crime after "Tearz" and "Impossible". These 3 songs are the best from their first 3 albums and "Tearz" was also the first official song recorded by TWC (as"After the Laughter"). So The W feels like the 3rd in a trilogy and a bookend to Golden Age Wu for me.
    Great analysis! Personal last fav WTC album that rate as a CLASSIC. Appreciate seeing this RZA & GFK trilogy series point...

Overall great convo about this classic album SUUUUUUUUU!

Re Snoop & Conditioner, while it may not be on same level as Wu MCs, it is/was one of Snoops best verses in years (imo from what little have heard). Dont yall find that when dudes collab w Wu they bring their best HipHop game eg Jim Jones on Rock n Roll, Thought on Masters of our Fate etc. Wu brings the HipHop MC out of rappers!
    PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    Busta Rhymes can spit when he wants to. He raps according to the type of beat he is on. Monument is is mellow type track, so he was mellow on there. I think he would have been great on Red Bull with Redman, so he could get hype
    I like Busta but his lyrics are too 80s party shit IMO. Its like when LL Cool J started trying to be hardcore in the mid 90s. I've heard all his best albums and the posse cuts with Flipmode Squad, he was always the worst imo. He can rap fast but he never says anything clever or deep IMO. But he does flow to beats memorably. But not on The Monument tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAll View Post
    Great analysis! Personal last fav WTC album that rate as a CLASSIC. Appreciate seeing this RZA & GFK trilogy series point...

Overall great convo about this classic album SUUUUUUUUU!
    Thanks, bruh.