Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxing vs. Karate

Banned

Recently i saw a kickboxer get dominated by a boxer in a boxing match during
    a pre fight....but taht kickboxer was a tough son of a bitch. He took everything,
    but got dominated with technique.

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

In my opinion Kung-Fu owns Boxing.

I've fought a boxer...he punched me up but...
    I bust some Judo on him...
    His arm - over my shoulder - his back - landing smack on the street.
    And he walked away...diddn't want it.

I just feel a Kung-Fu expert at his peak would beat a great Boxer at his peak.
    Apart from the obvious advantage of their legs...
    They move too swiftly and don't fight with anger
    If Boxers can time a punch to perfection...
    I'm more than sure that a Kung-Fu guy would deliver the blow
    With greater speed and accuracy...they are more in control I feel.
    100p00f & 11th Chamber are right though..
    There are so many variables to the fight
    Where it takes place, the rules/what "scoring system" ect...

But at the end of the day I go with Kung-Fu.
    Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 08-10-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Banned

Its all relative to the fighters skill also.

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

Yeah Definatly^

Inoki kicking Ali in the legs for however long said it all.

wow alot of karate bashing goin on here

karate aint for pussys
    i dunno i live in japan and i see how these guys train (its a a kyokushin school)
    sure boxers have strong legs but they would be able to stand a kick from a person that breaks bats with their shins, kick trees all day (and do the same with their fists)

the karate taught outside japan isnt the same
    the training, the style, the whole atmosphere is different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXzKxHi3JaI

watch the clip perhaps it will change your mind

as for who would win
    it would depend on who fights, fighter level, etc?
    and the environment (a ring or street fight)

courtesy of Bobby_Digital72

Non Ignorants

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

It's funny I saw this Boxer vs Martial Artist thread today, cos I watched this video earlier this morning:

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

I took kung fu for 6 years and now I'm taking Japanese Jiu jitsu and got to say japanese jiu jitsu is way more brutal.

Boxing

Bruce Lee said that a trained boxer would beat the shit out of any Karate guy because they're more practical which he was trying to make martial arts

and when bruce lee speaks it stops being opinion and becomes fact

Veteran Member

Mas Oyama would've SLAUGHTERED Lee.
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

Quote Originally Posted by Os3y3ris View Post
    Mas Oyama would've SLAUGHTERED Lee.
    You are to funny.....

Bruce Lee has never been defeated, he went around and let people challenge him at gatherings such like this video below. He's defeated even masters who have been around longer than him. I know alot about the Lee, and you can't ever tell me that Oyama would beat Lee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbADUyBoBvA

Veteran Member

Wait a second. That video is supposed to be impressive? He's got headgear and a chest protector on and if you didn't get the memo, taking out kung fu masters is EASY. Mas Oyama was about full contact, no protection. He was killing bulls barehanded and knocking the horns off with knife hand strikes. He had a 300 man kumite, taking on 100 men a day. Bruce Lee performed well in tournaments and street fights, sure, but not to the point of being the legend that he is. Over Oyama? No. Over Rickson? No. Over countless other martial artists? No, he's not nearly prolific enough a fighter. What do you say about legends like Kimura, Helio, Rickson, Oyama, Illustrisimo? None of these men have a hollywood or hong kong hype machine backing them, only their achievements. Bruce Lee never fought 100 men in a day. He never engaged in blade warfare. What exactly makes him THAT strong a legend?
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

^his philosophy and what he beleived in is what made him a legend

however bruce lee has lost matches against kung fu masters
    none of his losses were documented...they didnt want to taint his image
    i guess

none the less

props to lee oyama & the gracies

courtesy of Bobby_Digital72

Non Ignorants

Quote Originally Posted by Os3y3ris View Post
    Wait a second. That video is supposed to be impressive? He's got headgear and a chest protector on and if you didn't get the memo, taking out kung fu masters is EASY. Mas Oyama was about full contact, no protection. He was killing bulls barehanded and knocking the horns off with knife hand strikes. He had a 300 man kumite, taking on 100 men a day. Bruce Lee performed well in tournaments and street fights, sure, but not to the point of being the legend that he is. Over Oyama? No. Over Rickson? No. Over countless other martial artists? No, he's not nearly prolific enough a fighter. What do you say about legends like Kimura, Helio, Rickson, Oyama, Illustrisimo? None of these men have a hollywood or hong kong hype machine backing them, only their achievements. Bruce Lee never fought 100 men in a day. He never engaged in blade warfare. What exactly makes him THAT strong a legend?

Excuse me, I sent the wrong link thinking it was a video I knew about. And when I said never been defeted, I failed to add in by the styles, so excuse me for that also. But Have you seen how fast Lee can strike on the spot? The man wakes up every day and does some of the most brutal practices, wether or not he takes on 100 men a day doesn't mean he's less of a fighter. Alot of people do not like Bruce Lee do to the simple fact that his legendary status as a fighter and philosiphiser is what made him big. I do not think blade warfare holds any weight when you are trying to degrade Lee, it's just not significant to mention, and you think that he should be knocked out of his "legend" status due to that reason? If you were saying any Gracies would beat Lee, that would be retarded. A fight like that could go either way and end quickly. Seeing as Lee would be to quick for any BJJ practition while stand fighting, he could take them out faster than a takedown, but if a Gracie were to take him down, then it would be all over. Comparing those to is just stupid. Comparing legends like that is always stupid, and I don't know why I was trying to earlier. All great fighters have proved them selves different ways, where as Oyama, like you said, killed live bulls, Lee would do grueling stretching/training sessions and practices, Gracies with being famed in the blood sport of MMA and etc etc, and I wouldn't EVER hold one over the other just simply because each of those would depend on the style use of how it would work.

Veteran Member

wether or not he takes on 100 men a day doesn't mean he's less of a fighter.
    Erm, yes it does. Taking on 100 men in a day makes you MORE of a fighter most certainly, so lacking feats like this makes you LESS of a fighter.

Alot of people do not like Bruce Lee do to the simple fact that his legendary status as a fighter and philosiphiser is what made him big.
    Its his MOVIES that made him big. Most people have seen Enter the Dragon and a number of other flicks starring him. Thats where their exposure comes from. His status as a fighter is secondary to that, though by all accounts he can fight. I'm not saying that the man was a slouch. I'm saying that to put him above men like Oyama is crazy. His status as a philosopher is a joke by the way. Husserl (look him up) was a philosopher. Bruce Lee was most certainly NOT.

I do not think blade warfare holds any weight when you are trying to degrade Lee, it's just not significant to mention
    WHAT? Kali, arnis and escrima aren't significant? Really? In putting Lee on a pedestal as THEGREATESTEVERZOMG!!!11 you have to compare him to the other legends. Some of those legends like Ilustrisimo of Kali Ilustrisimo were real cold blooded killers.

If you were saying any Gracies would beat Lee, that would be retarded. A fight like that could go either way and end quickly. Seeing as Lee would be to quick for any BJJ practition while stand fighting, he could take them out faster than a takedown, but if a Gracie were to take him down, then it would be all over.
    Sure. I'm not saying that they'd automatically win, though I'd bet on Rickson over Lee any day, but how is Lee more deserving of prestige than them?

Comparing legends like that is always stupid, and I don't know why I was trying to earlier.
    I disagree. I think that they can be compared like any other experts in a field. You look at their achievements and at their work. Lee DOES deserve legendary status, but within reasonable limits. His actual accomplishments as a fighter were unimpressive, but his martial arts theories were certainly progressive. You also can't deny that he's paved the way for the arts to spread throughout the US and the world. Giving him credit as a legendary fighter would be like giving Kimura credit for the proliferation of the martial arts. Could he have done that work? Maybe, but he didn't. Others did. Lee worked with weapons and their defense. Can he really be compared to the Filipino escrimadors though? Hardly. They'd tie their limbs to cut off the blood flow and run down the streets with blades. The reduced blood flow would reduce shock and allow them to keep fighting after being SHOT. They'd bring knives to gunfights and still take heads. Thats not how Bruce Lee rolled, but thats ok. Still a legend, just not THE legend.
    And what shall we toast?