3 1.58%
  • Weak

0 0%
  • Wack

2 1.05%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Gza/genius-pro Tools (2008) Review

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyTheWonderDog View Post
    I still haven't heard this, but do people really think it's better than Beneath the Surface? Beneath is one of my favourite hip-hop albums, so if it's even close i'm gonna be a happy muthafucka.
    nah man "Beneath The Surface" is iller it's just that album is so crazy underrated even on a Wu-Tang forum. when that shit got released people just bunched it together with the rest of the sub-par releases of that era and then forgot about it.. BTS is incredible, GZA at the top of his game with some great production.. GZA ain't at the top of his game anymore but he's still nice and the beats is good. this is a banger though - 8/10 for me.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

Shyt, every time I listen to this album, I like it more and more! I voted superior, but after sooo many listenin, I would change my vote to classic easily! My abs fav tracks - Paper Plate, Alphabets & Pencil (no particular order)!!!

For me, best wu release in a long time!!!

P.E.A.C.E.

I'll have to read the rest of this thread later. Just wanted to say that more of the songs should have been over 3 minutes long. Some of my favorites from the album are Groundbreaking, Paper Plate, Path of Destruction, and Cinema. He should have tried to find a way to liven up 0% Finance, cause after a while you can start zoning out during that song. Where was that sample/hook from in Life is a Movie? Was that Dudley Moore from the movie Arthur? lol

can't wait to get this

damn, I was just listening to wu forever and damn, Rza should of gave gza "As High As wu tang gets" beat for the 50 diss, Gza's lyrics would of sounded way better with that beat, Paper plate's beat is a little out there, hardly ever could bump that shit loud.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

12 Jewelz are almost like Paper Plate, so I like it for the same reason - simplicity.
    bring back begongo!!

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Whoever said this was better than Beneath The Surface needs to get off the crack...
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

It's pretty good, Gza brings it on here but damn BTS is way better, It had consistent good beats and most of the clan was in it. Rza dissapointed me with his beats on protools.

Pencillllllllllllllllllllllllll Is My Ish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JusticEquality™

^ Co-sign

7 Pounds is ill, It kinda sounds like liquid Swords when the beat changes.

I'm just listening to this for the first time now. Shits ILLLLLL.

I still think this is fucking great.

One of the few Hip Hop releases that ive liked this year.

GZA never disappoints (me at least).

I think its better than GM, which i liked also.

Not sure about how id compare it with his other albums, but its not far below BTS and LOTLS in my opinion.

Paper plates iz a nice diss

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

I never got this one, due to exams coming up....

1. IntroMental

2.Pencil
    Ok Gza is back with some new shit, he sounds nice and fresh unlike his last effort Grandmaster. He still has it in the lyrics department and it shows on this track. Guest spots include Masta Killa and Rza. Masta Killa comes in nice and smooth, we haven't heard from him in awhile nice verse though, Rza comes in on here and i must admit i'm nervous after hearing some of the stuff he was spitting on Digi Snax, but he does cool on here. His flow at first is kind of shakey but he comes through on this one... 3.5/5

3.Alphabets
    This is a nice beat by True Master he came through on here, great to hear something from him again. Gza just delivers on this one straight up, He spitting ill shit on here, everything is on point about this joint, then he spits the supreme alphabet on here (I know people on here swear they know it but they don't). This is some good shit right here. 4.5/5

4.Groundbreaking (Feat. Justice Kareem)
    This is another nice beat right here, Gza is sharp as usual but the guest spot on this one is none other than Gza's son Kareem Justice, he did good on his part, though I think he still needs practice, he sounds like he's mumbling on the mic. Overall this is solid. 4/5

5.7 Pounds
    Another great one by Gza he just keeps bringing the heat as we go in the album. Beat is nice as hell, I wonder if people can keep up with his dartz on this one. Another solid track. 4/5

6.0% Finance
    This track has the same beat from his "Legend Of The Liquid Sword" album on a track called "Stay In Line" which is a way better track I much say. On this one Gza keeps it going with his usual shit by rapping about a specific subject, now this time it's cars. This one right here is boring, he sounds dry and the story just lags, you're just waiting for this one to end, another thing is they could did better with the beat adjustment. 3/5

7.Short Race (Feat. Rock Marcy)
    A nice story told by Gza on here, he sounds kind of dry on this one I must say, but he still comes through. Rock Marcy comes through on the hook and he spits some dartz of his own keeping you in-intuned on this one because Gza wasn't. 4/5

8.Interlude

9.Paper Plates
    I must say this i one of the driest Rza beats I've ever heard, this just has no energy in it, I can't believe he made this shit. The lyrics are there, Gza is kinda lacking the energy on here. (This is a 50 Cent Diss for all you dumbasses). I think this would've been way better with a more uptempo beat. I know Gza ain't really put no effort into this one but c'mon.These lyrics are too sharp to be wasted on this joint. 3.5/5

10.Colombian Ties (Feat. True Master)
    This is a nice one right here to keep the album going strong. True master on the hook and gza spitting his detective style trap as usual. This is a solid one. 4/5

11.Firehouse (Feat. Ka)
    This one is ok, Ka is nice on the mic, he has potential on here, Gza has little input on this one, nothing much I can really say. 3.5/5

12.Path of Destruction
    Another great beat, but Gza is dry on here too. I can really get into the story on this one, and this one is kind of short aswell. I think this had more potential. 3.5/5

13.Cinema (Feat. Justice Kareem)
    What The Fuck is this shit? Gza spitting his dectective raps again, but this time he's trying to whisper on this one, it's not good and the hook....LOL this one was a total miss,I Barely know what the kid is saying on here. Wack!. 1/5

14.Intermission

15.Life is a Movie (Feat. Rza & Irfran khan)
    This is another OK joint, Rza wack opening line, Gza comes through on this one nice, Beat is on point. It's OK. 3.5/5

16.Elastic Audio
    Same thing as 1112, but Gza is dry...won't rate.

Beats - 3.5/5
    Lyrics - 4/5
    Overall - 3.5/5

This one is almost solid but it's just missing something. It's also pretty short. Gza came better this time than on his last effort I must say, Kareem Justice is ok on here, he still needs work. Beats were pretty good and Gza shows he still can bring it at his age, I feel there is something missing though. ****Overall 3.5/5****
    Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 11-03-2008 at 11:32 AM.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Pitchfork is ridiculous:

“doesn’t really sound like the kind of album you’d call on to fill anyone’s late-summer barbeque party soundtracking duties.”