3 1.58%
  • Weak

0 0%
  • Wack

2 1.05%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Gza/genius-pro Tools (2008) Review

Liquid Swordsman Wu-Tang Gambino's Avatar

Greatness. The GZA continues to spit pure dope. My favorite emcee of all-time doesn't disappoint at all.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Poll.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Autarch

This is the first I have heard of this album.

New Orleans Hornets and New Orleans Saints are the champions.
    rep·re·sent
    To stand for; symbolize

i still love h.e.r. NAKHI the SOLORIAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS View Post
    he did i'm right now loving this album haven't even listen to ice cube's raw footage yet cuz the gza is so sick with the pyroclastic flow

lol...I have not even unzipped that ice cube yet................been listening to GZA all day since like 3:00 pm

click the sig if you vatican status

Yo, this shit is fucking bonkers! I'm loving this shit.GZA came with it hardbody. Pencil makes me want to smack the shit out of someone, lol.

P.E.A.C.E.

'Section 9'

Default Review

GZA - Pro Tools

GZA tore shit up with this one, this matched the expectations I got after listening to the albums first official single, Alphabets. A little remark, some songs are just plain, too short. I am disappointed I didn't hear a verse from True Master, or at least another verse from GZA on Columbian Ties. All in all, this album is more than worth copping. It's worth copping three times, one for bumping, one for framing and hanging on the wall, and one left wrapped in plastic. Some might find my review too "soft" with too high scores, but fuck it, this ain't nothing professional. This is just a 15-year-old kid enjoying an album. You'll get a top-notch review from Hollow,Sheepish,claaa7,brock,the silencer and others... Peace to y'all.

1. Intromental (Unrated)

A nice intro for things to come, musically. With RZA shouting out GZA/Genius at some points, this really gets you in a relaxed mood... but...

2. Pencil ft Masta Killa & RZA (4/5)

A certified Wu-Banga, with a sick Allah Maths beat with a creepy-ass sample. GZA comes sick, a nice MK verse, but RZA is on some next level shit. He destroyes everything. A great verse, that trademarks this track.

3. Alphabets (5/5)

What Can I say? A sick True Master looped beat (All I need is a beat, with a continous loop, and a live vibe that hypnotize like a flute), and GZA's flow is on point. Great delivery that matches the beat, and the lyrics are vintage. With a classic chorus that gets every letter of the alphabet covered... in style "Y, Zig-Zag-Zig... and now I'm back home". Classic track. I'll be bumping this in front of my kids proudly in 10-15 years.

4. Groundbreaking feat Justice Kareem (4/5)

It looks like Bronze Nazareth is the hottest producer in the hip hop game right now. Everything he produced lately takes down the wall. A storytelling first verse from the Genius, followed by a familiar chorus "We roll together as one, I call my brother son, cuz he shine like one". The second verse is pretty strong, but he's joined by his son Young Justice that has some nice lines, but nothing Groundbreaking.

5. 7 Pounds (4/5)

Banger. A sick intro by Preservation, and a great beat produced by Black Milk. GZA comes true on this, with his flow/delivery matching the beat perfectly. A crazy-ass sample and nice old-school raps. Takes you back. A great joint.

6. 0% Finance (4.5/5)

This is near-classic. The much-discussed re-used Stay In Line beat is very enjoyable, and I'll regard it as an authentic beat. Classic GZA flow, a little sleepy delivery and mindblowing lyrics. Reminiscent of Queens Gambit, the storytelling lyrics with incorporated car names, simply blow you away. "Took her of the showroom floor, no money down"

7. Short Race (4/5)

A nice Arabian Knight beat laced with guitars in the background. GZA's delivery is too sleepy on this one, but the storytelling lyrics make up for it to some point. A good verse from Rock Marciano, with a real enjoyable chorus from the cat. A real slept on rapper. I slept on him too. This woke me up.

8. Interlude
    (Unrated)

A cut from an 8 Diagrams interview that grips the topic of the massiveness of the Wu-Tang Clan. An interlude that immediately sears into...

9. Paper Plates (4.5/5)

Already discussed. A diss to an industry giant, 50 Cent. Calling his art "disposable" like a Paper Plate in the title... GZA goes on a lyrical rampage here. With a simple RZA beat, a very simple RZA beat, intended to emphasize the lyrics, although the lyrics are followed by a somewhat sleepy delivery. GZA is destroying 50 Cent on this one. In the same time he reminds 50 about a lot of flaws in his career, but at the same time touches the classics, and touches the masiveness of the Clan. All with vintage lyrics.

10. Columbian Ties feat True Master (5/5)

Classic joint. Nothing less than classic about it. A great hook from True Master (In his own iniquity he dies, through Columbian Ties), great jabs from the GZA, with a Bronze Nazareth beat that perfectly matches the "killing" vibe of the track. This shares Alphabets' spot as the favorite cut on the album. The only flaw is that it is too short, as I mentioned in the introduction to the review.

11. Firehouse feat Ka (3/5)

3 nice verses from an unknown cat Ka, with an enjoyable hook from GZA. The nice vibe of the track is focused by the nice Rock Marciano beat. This is just that chill track. Nothing special about it.

12. Path Of Destruction (4/5)

A great beat, a trademark of the famous producer... erm... Jay Waxx Garfield. Sorry, but I never heard of this cat. Anyway, the beat is very enjoyable, that follows the storytelling about a young criminal. A very enjoyable track, nothing less than what I expected at this point of the album.

13. Cinema feat Justice Kareem
    (3.5/5)

With GZA's creepy whispering over an Arabian Knight beat, this gives you the chills. Again... storytelling lyrics. A hook from his son, that you can't hear unless you turn your volume the fuck up. Great cut, I'd listen to this only after 11 P.M. because of it's real creppy night vibe. GZA's flow is on point here, with a great delivery.

14. Intermission (Unrated)

A nice break that relieves you of those chills you got from Cinema. Nice shit, for real.

15. Life Is a Movie feat RZA & Khan-Acito (3.5/5)

Nice to hear RZA & GZA sharing a beat alone. Well, with this cat Khan-Acito too, but that doesn't count. A beat that marks RZA's recent musical evolution. A nice beat, but could be better. With the nice lyrics both from GZA/Genius and Bobby Digitech, this is a good song that isn't amongst my favorite cuts.

16. Elastic Audio (Live Performance) (4/5)

1112 beat. In GZA's words "There's always something about this beat right here, Dreddy". And for real, this beat is monstrous and this whole song is a banger. But the lyrics last too short (Over the beat), with GZA's delivery being very very energetic. The only flaw about this, is the censure of the curses. "My Wu-Tang wwwp ain't nuthin to wwwwp with". The second part of this, and the ending of the album, is his second verse off General Principles from his DJ Muggs collabo Grandmasters.

Overall

53/65 = 4.1/5

Although I'm giving this album a 4.5/5.

PEACE

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

I find it funny that people are surprised to see a track that GZA doesn't spit a verse on. Have you not noticed that he's had a track showcasing others on every single album except Grandmasters?

I haven't heard this yet, so I'll drop my thoughts on the album later.

Meanwhile, JIVE Magazine gave it 5/5. Here's their review:

http://www.jivemagazine.com/review.php?rid=3113
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 08-14-2008 at 04:15 AM.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Veteran Member

I find it funny that people are surprised to see a track that GZA doesn't spit a verse on. Have you not noticed that he's had a track showcasing others on every single album except Grandmasters AND Words From The Genius FIXED?

Ive noticed it before, I still dont get though WHY he keeps doing, if Im going to pay for GZA album, I want GZA. not Priest, Darkman, P-Sun or Ka.

Liquid Swords (Killah Priest)
    Beneath The Suface (La The Darkman, Timbo King, Sunz Of Man & Trigga)
    Legend Of The Liquid Sword (Armel & Two On Da Road)
    Pro Tools (Ka)

Thats wasted GZA space

Well if he hadn't put those tracks on, all the albums would have most likely been one track shorter, so you're not losing out on any GZA. Are you saying you wish Feel Like An Enemy hadn't been released?

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Veteran Member

Well if he hadn't put those tracks on, all the albums would have most likely been one track shorter, so you're not losing out on any GZA.

Okay, example...Liquid Swords is a total of 13 tracks. 12 by GZA, 1 by Priest. Why not just GIVE Priest that song for his solo JUST like he did on Heavy Mental. Your telling me GZA couldnt just record a 13th song by himself over a RZA back in 95? Same thing for Feel Like An Enemy, save it for a Sunz Of Man album. Its still wasted GZA space.

Are you saying you wish Feel Like An Enemy hadn't been released?

Didnt say that, just released on its correct artist's album.

My point is that I imagine GZA finished the album, then picked a track to add as a bonus. He wouldn't have done another solo track if they hadn't been included. Think about it, what if he'd thought that and added another solo trac kto make up for it, how would you know? Why not keep adding tracks til the album is 79 mins long?

He's always wanted to give some shine to others around him, and I can't fault him on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
    Well if he hadn't put those tracks on, all the albums would have most likely been one track shorter, so you're not losing out on any GZA.

Okay, example...Liquid Swords is a total of 13 tracks. 12 by GZA, 1 by Priest. Why not just GIVE Priest that song for his solo JUST like he did on Heavy Mental. Your telling me GZA couldnt just record a 13th song by himself over a RZA back in 95? Same thing for Feel Like An Enemy, save it for a Sunz Of Man album. Its still wasted GZA space.

Are you saying you wish Feel Like An Enemy hadn't been released?

Didnt say that, just released on its correct artist's album.

this way these artists got more notice
    BIBLE basically started KP's career
    it's a nice way of introducing new bees(-Ka) to the listeners
    if GZA thinks that they deserve a solo track on his album than it means something and we should appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Erquel View Post
    if GZA thinks that they deserve a solo track on his album than it means something and we should appreciate it
    Exactly

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

Veteran Member

Naw Priest first got noticed for his verses on the GRAVEDIGGAZ, plus his contributions to ODB's first album. He was already introduced before Liquid Swords was even out AND he was 4th Chamber, thats enough exposure already. As for the rest of the Killa Beez, SAVE THEM FOR THE KILLA BEEZ ALBUM, whats it any different having Rough Cut, BTS Outro, Feel Like An Enemy, hell even BIBLE if they were included on The Swarm or The Sting? Of future compilations. THAT was the purpose of the Killa Beez albums, exposure on thier own time, not the generals

cocaine is bad for your brain