In his introduction, Ming-Dao explains that Tao is "literally the movement of all life . . . the total ongoing of the universe," and that to live according to Taoist principles is to go along with this movement, this flow. Ming-Dao notes eight "special qualities" of people who internalize Taoism: simplicity, sensitivity, flexibility, independence and being focused, cultivated, disciplined, and joyous. The body of the book consists of texts based on Chinese characters emblematic of certain aspects of the Taoist way, including specific aspects of nature, silence, conduct, moderation, devotion, teaching, self, and union. In his clear and concise definitions of each concept, Ming-Dao provides a running history of Tao, a summary of Tao practice, and suggestions for how the study of Taoism can enrich everyday life in the western world

Now, here's an overview of the book:
There are 256 pages. Each page has a word at the top left hand corner of the page, and a chinese (calligraphy) symbol below the word. There is a paragraph beside the symbol that explains the symbol/picture/lines in brief detail. Below that, there are about 3-4 short paragraphs on each page that describe the meanings/relevance of the word/symbol in our lives.

My book is full of bookmarks and slips of paper of my favorite passages.

This is a partial excerpt that I particularly liked:
Moon: "It is important in life to be constant." "The moon has its own primal power. It pulls on the earth; it pulls on the oceans and on the hearts and minds of human beings; it paces the seasons. The moon does not fight. It attacks no one. It does not worry. It does not crush others. It keeps its course, but by its very nature, it gently influences. What other body could pull an entire ocean from shore to shore? The moon is faithful to its nature and its power is never diminished. Look no further than tonight's sky if you would want to know how you can be both true to Tao and