Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How The Genius Came Up With The Title For His New Album (Vibe Interview)

Default How The Genius Came Up With The Title For His New Album (Vibe Interview)

http://www.vibe.com/news/online_excl...lbums_out_gza/

VIBE.com: Where did the album title, Pro Tools, come from? How long were you working on and developing the project?

GZA: Well it’s the production software program, basically. The people at Babygrande were asking for a name. I was looking around the house, or the studio, and trying to come up with something, and I may have even been reading the actual Pro Tools manual and just went with that, and it works great with the album.

VIBE.com: The album has very few guest appearances, what’s the reason for this?

GZA: I’m not one who works with big producers because I expect that to make the album go double platinum. I remember once we paid $150,000 for a Trackmasters beat once, with Ron Isley singing, the “Back In The Game” track off of Iron Flag, and it wasn’t even a single, so I don’t bother searching for names.

I’d rather people buy the record because they want a GZA album, and then the extras be a surprise. The album as a whole has only two Clan members on it. The last day we were recording, I was in Paris supporting the Wu tour, and a call was put out that I was in the studio and the only two that showed up were RZA & Masta Killer, so that’s what we went with. My next album is going to be no guest appearances; emcees need to start carrying their own weight.

Who were some of the producers on the album?

There were various producers; RZA, Mathematics, True Masters, Black Milk, Arabian Knight, Jay Waxx Garfield, Bronze Nazareth & Rock Marcy.

Why do you think the RZA tracks sound so different from those on the most recent Wu release, 8 Diagrams?

Well, you have to put in time with your producer, and RZA and I have been working back since I was 11 & he was 8 going to the Bronx to check out this hip hop stuff, so you have to know where they are coming from. Whenever I close my eyes and listen to his stuff, I can’t put a rhyme to it. His beats are more cinematic.

Where did the idea from blending you vocals with your son, Justice Kareem for the track “Groundbreaking” come from?

With that track, we were pressed for time I didn’t think he delivered well. He didn’t have time to redo the track, because he is making moves and going out of town, so I chose to redo it on some Ghost and Rae shit. And I’d like to use that technique again.

The theme of the album is relatively separate from the usual kung-fu influenced Wu-Tang album, was that deliberate?

It just kinda happened. It was just the progression of how beats were selected and the attitude of the beats. The same thing happened with Liquid Swords, in terms of the theme just developing naturally. We were literally mixing the album, and RZA asked someone to go pick up the Shogun Assassin, and then we just went with it. So with Justice working on the beats and RZA’s input, things just happened.

What are some of your favorite tracks on the album?

“0% Finance” is probably the track I like the most right now. It’s 104 bars straight through and the beat is 110 [bpm] and the whole thing is just incredible. It’s takling about automobiles but not in the way cats rap about cars now. It isn’t just “Yo I got rims and the dubs is real sick” its an approach that is really lyrical and grows as the song moves. It’s unique.

“Paper Plate” is my favorite track on the album. What’s the meaning of the track?

You know what “Paper Plate” is about? [A paper plate is] just something that is lightweight and disposable. You can recycle it and get rid of it after you’re done with it. It’s just a statement that I wanted to get out, saying that “I’m lyrical and I’m not material.” I’m a sum of a beautiful equation and sometimes these dudes need to just realize and respect the tradition of an emcee.

I’ve been working in this game for a while to try and focus on the lyrical aspect of all this. It’s saying 50 Cent and G Unit could never write like me and I’m coming at it focusing on shelf life. I’m not trying to clown all the younger rappers, but just saying that there is so many things to be inspired by, so I don’t understand why people are still rhyming about the same thing. I’m trying to move forward a tradition, and you can see that when I’m going on a Liquid Swords tour 10 years after it came out. Wu-Tang has two or three generations of fans so we must be relevant. And what does it matter that they callin me grandpa? Cuz I fathered your style?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

thoughts:

- gza utilizing his massive brainpower to think of a creative album title would be like using a supercomputer to play solitaire. prediction: his next album will be called "big mac."

- damn $150,000 for "back in the game"? whoops!

- 0% finance has a reused beat, which wasn't that hot the first time and it's still not. there's no chorus. it's long. he delivers his lines like walter cronkite. it's barely even a song. it's a 4 minute spoken word poem employing names and terms associated with cars in a boring story, set to music. how could this be anyone's favorite track? and gza seems really proud of the fact that he's not boasting about his car which begs the question: what does gza drive?

- "And what does it matter that they callin me grandpa? Cuz I fathered your style?" <--- that's exactly what a really old, clever rapper would say.

so i said "hey! hey you! fifty cents!"

and he turns to me and just looks at me

and i asked him, "you know all this rap crap that's trapped in your colon?"

and he just looks at me, ya know?

and i said "well it's about to time you get rid of all that wack shhhhhhh you holdin!"

[hearty laughter, gruff cough, giggles]

and boy you shoulda seen his face...

more akbar

Banned

yo, sorry to be anal, but i gotta put an end to the perpetuation of mistakes...

"begs the question" does not mean "raises the question". to beg the question is to assume as a premise that which you are trying to prove; it's a logical fallacy that is sometimes committed in arguments.

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

lol at Back in The Game costing 150,000\

One of the worst tracks on the Wu albums and it was that expensive. wow.

"And what does it matter that they callin me grandpa? Cuz I fathered your style? "

gotta love the Genius
    "The skywalker, that be leapin' over planets"

Banned

i don't understand his answer about RZA and 8 Diagrams.

lol at Back in The Game costing 150,000
    One of the worst tracks on the Wu albums and it was that expensive. wow.\

wooooooooow.... i disagree. thas my shit... that beat was fire.
    http://images.meez.com/user07/3/9/3/0/8/3/9/3930839_bodyshot_175x233.gif

yeah, I actually really liked Back in the Game, but to each his own

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    i don't understand his answer about RZA and 8 Diagrams.

he's basically saying you need to understand the producer and the producer has to understand the rapper/singer/entertainer whatever in order to make something great you time to build and understand one another. is it really that hard to understand

i was expecting some real science behind the title of the album

...that's a little disappointing. lol

AHAHAHAHAH!!
    AHAHAHAHHA!
    AHAHAHAHH!!!!A
    wow Firm, thanks for ruining Paper plates for me, dick lol

but yea, the story behind the title if fuckin pathetic
    come the fuck on, you went from the words

LIQUID SWORDS
    a fucking SWORD MADE OF LIQUID

hot fucking DAMN
    to protools cause you were reading the manuel, the fuck you doing read the protools manuel? chewing sticks playing chess and reading instructions
    damn.

is there a reason before god and man that danny glober has braces?

what he should have said: "you know, pro tools, i'm a visual individual and my pro tools is my pen and pad you know. i don't need no technology. when i was growin up, there was no pro tools. there was just the mic and the amp. so i wanted to come out and make a statement, like, let's bring it back. we the gods got the original pro tools: witty unpredictable talent and natural game"

but no no

instead he says: "i was sitting there. and i looked over. and what was the first thing i saw? pro tools. its DESTINY"

Veteran Member

gza just is.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

Quote Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post
    what he should have said: "you know, pro tools, i'm a visual individual and my pro tools is my pen and pad you know. i don't need no technology. when i was growin up, there was no pro tools. there was just the mic and the amp. so i wanted to come out and make a statement, like, let's bring it back. we the gods got the original pro tools: witty unpredictable talent and natural game"

but no no

instead he says: "i was sitting there. and i looked over. and what was the first thing i saw? pro tools. its DESTINY"
    So he should have been a fake ass liar and made something up?

fags galore around here, actin like they should have an input on their favorite rappers mindset