Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ask me about movies

Default Ask me about movies

This thread is dedicated to my love of movies. Ask me about a movie, and I will review it, explaining it's strengths and flaws. I have seen thousands of movies, so there is a good chance I've seen it.

'Section 9'

Sticky this. Could we come in here to ask if a movie is worth watching?

Jurassic Park 1 (being serious)

May as well list my top three films, see if real recognise real.

Phenomena
    Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
    Hitch-Hike

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzah View Post
    Sticky this. Could we come in here to ask if a movie is worth watching?
    Yes, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alijannu View Post
    Jurassic Park 1 (being serious)
    On it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    May as well list my top three films, see if real recognise real.

Phenomena
    Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
    Hitch-Hike

Meh.
    I will do one of my personal favs, Phenomenon...wait that's phenomena?

The movie where Jennifer Connelly talks to bugs?
    Last edited by brock; 09-22-2008 at 06:11 PM.

'Section 9'

Are these worth watching:

Jacob's Ladder
    88 Minutes
    Mirrors (The one with Kiefer Sutherland)
    Serpent & The Rainbow (Bill Pullman I think)

Jurassic Park

Steven Spielberg's "baby", Jurassic Park ripped through theaters in 1993 and opened the door for thousands of movies to follow as far as CGI animation goes. Sure they used blue screens sparingly before, but never to the scale undertaken in this classic flick.

What's Good

In short, the special effects. Knock you on your ass special effects. Giant dinosaurs never looked so real.

The Cast. Spielberg managed one hell of a cast for this movie, Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Jackson, and Wayne Knight, just to name the bulk of the actors.

The Score. It's John Williams for Christ's sake.

The Action. Don't miss the T-Rex chase scene.

What's Bad

Typecasting: Jeff Goldblum plays a brainy scientist. Now there's a stretch huh?

The Kids. Awful and annoying, you want to ignore every scene they are in. I personally was rooting for the raptors to eat them.

Plot. Just about nonexistent. They explain some stuff, some stuff breaks down, some stuff chases them for an hour and a half. Not really a thinking movie at all, I guess if there is a moral, it's don't fuck with nature.

Overall

A very good movie. Certainly not four star material, but not too bad considering it follows all the contrived movie cliches. Just good old fashioned Hollywood entertainment.

3 Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzah View Post
    Are these worth watching:

Jacob's Ladder
    Serpent & The Rainbow (Bill Pullman I think)

I will do these two.

ok cool man, appriciated. Imo its one of the best movies ever made,, but thats prolly comin from the 11 years old me tho lol..

all the later stuff i like is pretty much scifi.. and some drama/action flicks. I like Edward Norton movies... good actor.

Jacob's Ladder

A surreal trip through the mind of a Vietnam war vet. This is one of those make your skin crawl movies that is as gripping as it is nauseating. I instantly liked this flick when it dropped back in 1990. Tim Robbins is a war vet who begins to see some really creepy visions in his life. As the story progresses, the visions become more and more disturbing as his life becomes a choppy convoluted mess. Is the source of his visions acid flashback? Are they real? Why are they happening?

What's good

The special effects. Have somebody shake their head from side to side. Then speed up the frames 10 times so it looks like they are shaking really fast and what you have is one creepy effect.

The creep out factor. There is a scene when Robbins is dancing in the club with his girlfriend and suddenly he sees she has a long tail that wraps around his leg. To this day that still creeps me out.

The Ending. Like all great movies, it leaves the end open to interpretation, making it a great movie to think and talk about.

What's Bad

Plot twists. About 9 too many. They go to too great a length to make sure the viewer has no idea what's going on or where the story is going, then again, that could be a good thing too.

Macaulay Culkin. The good news is it's just a cameo.

The score. Not the greatest. Sometimes too over the top with the horror sounds. A bit more subtlety would have made it scarier.

Overall

As far as horror movies go, it really doesn't get too much better than this. Still, it doesn't meet the criteria for a four star film. Look for an early career appearance by Ving Rhames.

3 Stars
    Last edited by brock; 09-22-2008 at 06:37 PM.

The Pride of the Yankees.

The Pride of the Yankees (1943)

Three years after the death of Yankee Legend Lou Gehrig, Gary Cooper steps into, and fills admirably, the shoes of the Iron Horse. It's really all about the relationship between Gehrig, Ruth, and the fans, as the last 14 years of his life in a Yankee uniform are chronicled, leading up to his "Luckiest Man on the face of the Earth" speech.

What's Good

The Actors. Beside the great Cooper, Babe Ruth plays himself in the film as well as Bill Dickey and several other Yankees. If that doesn't add to the authenticity of the story, I don't know what does.

The Story. Most baseball movies suffer from a lack of a great story. No problem here.

Editing. Won the Oscar for editing and for good reason. This movie has no "dead" spots. It never bores, it flows perfectly.

What's Bad

Many might find it cheesy because it was made in 1943. The lack of spicy language, and the dialogue give it a dated feel. Still if you don't cry at the end, something is wrong with you.

Overall

Classic cinema from the golden age of movies. This is when directors knew how to direct and actors knew how to act.

4 Stars

Event Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    The movie where Jennifer Connelly talks to bugs?
    Yes. Tis magical.

The Serpent and the Rainbow

A horror movie starring Bill Pullman? This can't be good. This movie is one of those watch it once, never pick it up again movies. Dreadful acting, plot, music, and editing destroy any chance of replay value. While it seems like a horror movie, it's really not. It's more of a psychological thriller with gross-out gags littered in between. It takes place in Haiti and it's all about voodoo. If you like that sort of supernatural thing.

The good

The gross outs. There is some stuff in here that really makes you want to puke. If you are into that sort of shit.

The Bad

The acting. Pullman is miscast, and the only other actor I know of in the movie is Paul Winfield and man is he weird.

The characters. Poorly drawn out. You really don't come to like or care about any of them so you really don't care when they die.

The direction. One of Wes Craven's worst, although he has done lots of shit before, so it's not saying too much.

Overall

The only reason to watch this movie is if you have some weird fascination with voodoo or you need a substitute for a bottle of Ipecac. Avoid especially if you think Pullman's best acting job was in Lake Placid.

One Star