View Poll Results: Which albums should I buy???? (multiple selection)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tenor Saw - Fever

3 23.08%
  • Toots & The Maytals - Funky Kingston

4 30.77%
  • Max Romeo - War Ina Babylon

2 15.38%
  • John Holt - Police in Helicopter

1 7.69%
  • Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man

6 46.15%
  • Keith Hudson - Rasta Communication

1 7.69%
  • Wailing Souls - Firehouse Rock

4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Reggae Thread

penalty boxed user

i'm looking for a track from shine head called let them in & cj lewis - dollars
    Last edited by RAMESH; 04-15-2007 at 09:36 AM.

penalty boxed user
    Last edited by RAMESH; 04-16-2007 at 06:30 AM.

penalty boxed user

Soon after the release of Equal Rights, Tosh performed at the One Love Peace Concert alongside the likes of Bob Marley, Ras Michael, Inner Circle, Culture, and others. Peter lashed out strongly at Prime Minister Michael Manley and Opposition Leader Edward Seaga, both in attendance, about government inaction and the legalization of ganja. He attacked the "shitstem" which he felt was designed to oppress the black race. The retribution by the embarrassed politicians was swift and brutal. Pulled into a police station for smoking ganja, Tosh was beaten by at six to seven police officers for over ninety minutes. According to Peter, it was only because he knew how to roll his eyes in the back of his head that he survived the beating.

penalty boxed user

Peter Tosh

Peter Tosh was born into this world without a father or mother with the responsibility, or the time to raise young Peter. He was raised by his aunt, although Peter's personality would have you believe that he raised himself. An extremely self-reliant, self-dependent entity, Tosh fought for those who could not fight themselves. He was a voice for those who had not the means, nor the ability to speak to a worldwide audience. While those with power on the island of Jamaica saw Peter as a threat to the existing regime (A regime comprised of corrupt 'politricksters' who ally with Jamaica's small, wealthy, land owning class), the people saw Peter as a rebel hero. A champion of human rights, throughout his life Peter fought against the vampires and the duppies and all evil spirits, the spirits which Peter himself feared more than anything. Peter Tosh was a saint. Not a saint in the conventional, religious definition, but insofar as that he was put on this earth with a purpose. He was to expose the filth and corruption and expunge the wickedness of the ghosts which haunted him his entire life. Peter was a savior, sent to liberate the people of Jamaica, both physically and mentally.

As for the majority of Jamaicans, life was spent scrounging for a dollar, struggling to put food on their children's table, and a roof over their head; That was if you can find some brush or metal with which to build one. It was difficult to find employment, and many of those that were employed were done so temporarily. Peter had greater visions for the Island of Jamaica. He was upset with the treatment of his people, and he did nothing to hide his feelings. It is believed by many that this is the very character trait which led to Tosh's murder. The voice of the people was eliminated by three supposed robbers who stole not one material object. At the tender age of forty three, Peter Tosh was silenced, as were the hopes of many Jamaicans.

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

do you got Peter Tosh Pick Myself Up (Live)?

I'm getting hyped on ragga.. Theres this club called "Stengade30" which is usually a punk/rock and grime place, which each sunday arrange these reggae/ragga/dancehall parties under the name of "Rub'a'Dub sundays" with the slogan "We fuck up your mondays"

Anybody got any crazy dancehall to upload? Not reggaeton, cause I hate that shit.. Ragga/Reggaeton is seriously the best party-music, and reggae is the best music to chill too.. the whole genre is just amazing.

Heres one of my favorite tracks:

Banana Man & Dereck Irie - Tight Clothes:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...3D98135DE790E1

penalty boxed user

reggae has been a big part of my life as a kid, my parents used to love it
    i don't have a single picture but when i need them i light up a spliff & listen to reggae
    Last edited by RAMESH; 04-16-2007 at 02:42 PM.

penalty boxed user

Bob Marley and African Unity Monday, February 07 2005 @ 01:29 PM PSTContributed by: Oread DailyViews: 2,058 BOB MARLEY - Oread DailyA month long celebration of the legacy of Bob Marley is well underway in Ethiopia noting what would have been Marley’s 60th birthday. The celebration dubbed "Africa Unite" after one of Marley's songs, aims to raise funds to help poor families in Ethiopia Tsunami victims in Somalia. Musical and educational events will take place throughout the month. Similar events are taking place in other African countries.Organizers said they expected as many as 300,000 people to attend the free event. "I think it is incredible that so many years after brother Bob's death, he still inspires such an amazing show," said Yohannes, a Rastafarian, who only goes by a single name. Originally from Crystal Palace, London, he now lives in Addis Ababa and married to an Ethiopian. Marley's five sons, widow and former backup singers were expected to perform along with Benin music star Angelique Kidjo, Senegal's Youssou N'dour and Baaba Maal. Well-known Ethiopians artists were also set to perform. Ethiopia's evangelical churches on Saturday objected to the celebrations. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church, the country's main church, has, however, supported the celebrations. Sister Betty, a Rastafarian who works for the International Organization for Migration in Addis Ababa, said that she was proud the concert was happening in the city. "I just can't explain how much I love Bob, for everything, for whatever he is. I have much respect for his philosophy and message as a Rasta," said Betty. "His songs are all about 'Africa Unite' ... if there is no unity there will not be peace in Africa. Bob is a messenger, a spiritual messenger to many people." Speaking at a press conference held last week in connection with the celebration in Addis, Rita Marley said that the family had not yet decided the time when the reburial of remains of Bob Marley would take place in Addis Ababa. However, she said that the reburial would take place in due course (Jamaicans have reacted angrily to the plans to exhume the reggae legend's remains and rebury them in Ethiopia, an African country holy to Rastafarians, saying it would rob the Caribbean island of its national heritage).The Minster of State for Information, Netsanet Asfaw, said at the press conference, "We feel honored and privileged to host the celebration in Ethiopia because Bob was a great man who taught us that no matter how poor and deprived we are, we can be great." The Representative of UNICEF, Bjorn Liungqvist, said that the event will create ample opportunity to young people in Africa for discussing the future of their continent. The Africa Unite initiative is a series of commemorative events that will bring together artists, leaders, culture activists and organizations inspired by Bob Marley's music, philosophy and values. Thousands of tourists, dignitaries, academics, activists and international media are expected to attend the event.

penalty boxed user

Eddy Grant~Gimme Hope Jo'anna

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CQ8FD05L
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CQ8FD05L

this track came out towards the end of the apartheid era in a crazy time for south africans it's dedicated to our struggle
    it lifted our spirits up when things looked hopeless the track had an impact on our whole continent
    Last edited by RAMESH; 04-16-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

good stuff nobody got that Tosh?

penalty boxed user

Quote Originally Posted by 4-Bar Killer View Post
    I'm getting hyped on ragga.. Theres this club called "Stengade30" which is usually a punk/rock and grime place, which each sunday arrange these reggae/ragga/dancehall parties under the name of "Rub'a'Dub sundays" with the slogan "We fuck up your mondays"

Anybody got any crazy dancehall to upload? Not reggaeton, cause I hate that shit.. Ragga/Reggaeton is seriously the best party-music, and reggae is the best music to chill too.. the whole genre is just amazing.

Heres one of my favorite tracks:

Banana Man & Dereck Irie - Tight Clothes:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...3D98135DE790E1
    cool track

pato banton - go pato

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0PQU6SN5
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0PQU6SN5

penalty boxed user

Quote Originally Posted by kwu View Post
    good stuff nobody got that Tosh?
    i'm sorry i never heard it in years

penalty boxed user

SHABBA RANKS

THE TOUGHEST. THE HOTTEST RAGGA STAR. THE WILDEST. Simply the best.
    No exaggeration. Shabba Ranks stands head and shoulders above the competition. Others may test his supremacy on the microphone over one record or two, but Shabba stands the test over the full course. He is the governor, the Don, the heretical ruler of ragga.
    Real name Rexton Gordon, Shabba is Jamaica's number one DJ (reggae rapper). His gruff growl has graced a series of reggae hits over the past few years, at times more than one record a week, hits the reggae charts from him. For instance, one Christmas, he held four of the top six positions in the UK reggae singles chart. As if that wasn't enough, he was also number one in the Jamaican and New York charts at the same time! Most ragga DJs rise and fade quickly: Shabba never wears out his welcome. Why? Because he is the best.

Shabba released his debut single in 1980 at the age of 15 under the name Co-Pilot, "Heat Under Sufferer's Feet", a record on a roots theme. It didn't sell, and Shabba retreated to the dancehalls to build a following from grass roots level. By the mid-eighties everyone in Jamaica was talking about this incredible talent who had a rhyme for every occasion and a put-down for every challenge. When he re-emerged on record in 1987 he was ready to take on all-comers and he quickly established a reputation as the upcoming DJ. A master of the instant put-down, he cut a multitude of hit singles throughout 1988 for the majority of the leading producers; King Jammy's, Bobby Digital, Black Scorpio, Dennis Star and Mixing Lab. Although his solo records were explosive, his work with other acts like Thriller U, Sanchez, Cocoa Tea, Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs - among others - boosted his profile far further than other rising chatters managed. DJ's and singers often joust in modern reggae and Shabba has taken advantage of the popularity of the genre to dazzling effect.
    It took a while before anyone issued an album bearing his name, perhaps because he was so in-demand that no-one could pin him down for long enough to cut the requisite number of songs. Finally Jammy's took the plunge, slapping out an album 'Rough and Rugged', bearing half a dozen raps from Shabba and an equal measure from Chaka Demus, who, at first, seemed set to give Shabba a run for his money. Shabba had other ideas, his supremacy being universally declared when 'Who She Love', a single for Jammy's shared with Cocoa Tea and Home T, went to number one in the reggae charts in Jamaica, London, New York, Toronto and Miami in the winter of 1988-89, Although the other two participants were star acts, Shabba ruled the record and got the girl at the end of the tune! It was just the beginning.

His first solo LP, 'Best Baby Father' was released in October 1989, produced by Bobby Digital. One track, 'Wicked In Bed' sold well enough for the backing track to be made into 10 more versions and form an LP of the same title. Producer-arranger Mikey Bennett, who had worked with Shabba at Jammy's, brought him to Music Works, the studio that has ruled Jamaican reggae since 1988, and there producer Gussie Clarke put Shabba on some of the most important records of the era; the light-hearted 'Twice My Age' with Kristal, number one everywhere that reggae has a chart, and 'Pirate's Anthem', reuniting him with Cocoa Tea and Home T, the toughest reggae single of the year and number one in the British reggae charts. Debut UK shows were sell-outs in the winter of 1989-90 and Shabba was interviewed on BBC 2's Behind The Beat and started to gain mentions in the mainstream UK press. An album with Cocoa Tea and Home T, 'Holding On', produced by Gussie Clarke, emerged at the start of 1990 and inevitably hit number one.
    In April 1990, Jammy's tidied up his Shabba Ranks back catalogue with 'Star Of The 90s', a compilation of hits for the Jammy's label. Predictably, it hit the top spot in New York and was the best selling reggae import album in the UK.
    Mikey Bennett, perhaps a little tired of seeing others cut hits on Shabba, voiced an album with the DJ in London, Jamaica and New York, 'Golden Touch' - ten tracks of pure roughness that showcase Shabba's versatility and sheer energy. It went straight to No.1 in the reggae album charts in the first week of release, and was still at number one several weeks later.
    Shabba's next album, 'Rappin With The ladies', was his first to be produced by Gussie Clarke at his ruling Music Works studio, and features duets with the cream of reggae's female singers - J.C.Lodge, Deborahe Glasgow, Rebel Princess, and the teenage Kristal. It includes his biggest hit so far this year [1991], 'Twice My Age', a new duet version with J.C.Lodge of the smash hit 'Telephone Love', and his latest single with Kristal 'Steady Man', released to coincide with his promotional tour in late September.
    Although he's made over 50 singles in the past two years, Shabba's audience is still swelling and unlike most DJs his work just seems to get better with time. He really has the golden touch: the ragga ruler must, sooner or later, rule rap and the pop charts too.

</IMG>

</IMG>

Last edited by RAMESH; 04-17-2007 at 05:56 AM.