Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eminem Crowned Best Rapper Alive By Vibe

Default Eminem Crowned Best Rapper Alive By Vibe

VIBE.com has released the outcome of their fan-driven poll of "The Best Rapper Alive," and after nearly a million votes the fans have spoken -- Eminem reigns supreme.

While many may have thought Lil Wayne would have topped the list, he didn't make it to the top two. It was Eminem who was crowned the globe's top MC in a tournament-style contest.

Rappers like Kanye West, Rick Ross, Nas and T.I. were given brackets, similar to the NCAA basketball teams during March Madness. Beginning in July, fans began voting on head-to-head matchups, with MC's being eliminated gradually until Jay-Z and Eminem were the only ones left.

Slim Shady won with 69 percent of the votes in the finals. VIBE said that more than 920,000 votes were cast since July.

"It's obviously an honor to have won the fans' support by being voted 'The Best Rapper Alive'," Eminem said in response to his victory. "I don't think that there is any one rapper that is simply the best though. Everyone who was in consideration and many others are the best at certain things, and at what they do. But since VIBE's offering the distinction, hell yeah I'll accept!"

Some of the surprising upsets in the tourney were when Andre was defeated by no. 3 seed The Game, and Lil Wayne lost to Ludacris.

"VIBE is thrilled we could put the debate about 'The Best Rapper Alive' in the hands of the fans," VIBE music editor, Sean Fennessey, said. "Eminem isn't just one of the most successful MC's of all time, he's also one of the most beloved. The proof is in the voting."

The win will be revealed in the mag's upcoming November issue, where Barack Obama will grace the cover.
    http://www.streethop.com/rapnews/150...live-vibe.html

There are people who would debate about this. Em is a dope lyricist. But I don't know about Em being the Best Rapper Alive. My opinion on that is Rakim is the best rapper alive. I'm not hating on Em. Em to me is a Top 10 MC.

yeah its hard to say who the best m.c is

'Section 9'

Quote Originally Posted by MR HIP HOP HEAD View Post
    There are people who would debate about this. Em is a dope lyricist. But I don't know about Em being the Best Rapper Alive. My opinion on that is Rakim is the best rapper alive. I'm not hating on Em. Em to me is a Top 10 MC.
    Exactly my opinion.

Rakim wasn't even in the voting.

But better Em than Lil Wayne. Em's a beast. His old shit is still one of my favorite music pieces.

PRODIGAL SUN

yeah I'm glad Eminem took this.

A million commercial voters FTW.

In all honesty this "who is the best MC alive" is all a load of shit. There is no one best rapper ever, they all have their own distinctions.
    She thinks her brown body has no glory.
    If she could dance naked, under palm trees.
    And see her image in the river, she would know. But there are no palm trees, on the street. "The Holocaust / Warcloud"

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

"It's obviously an honor to have won the fans' support by being voted 'The Best Rapper Alive'," Eminem said in response to his victory. "I don't think that there is any one rapper that is simply the best though. Everyone who was in consideration and many others are the best at certain things, and at what they do. But since VIBE's offering the distinction, hell yeah I'll accept!"

All respect to Eminem for staying down to Earth and not making shit comments.

Quite ironic that "best rapper alive" didn't even win the bracket competition, isn't it?
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

He deserves it...congratulations.

-KING MATHERS-

Co-sign what everyone said. Em is obviously dope, but theres better i think

I've never been a big Eminem fan but he obviously does have talent. I'm glad he won this over someone like Lil Wayne or Kanye West. I think there's better rappers than him out there but this is a "mainstream" contest, obviously Rakim or KRS One wouldn't win it.

Who did he beat in the final?

PRODIGAL SUN

he beat Jay-Z

he's beat Jay-z no wax

"eminem murdered you on your own shit"

there's no rappper that can out do em

you can say rakim, but em can do and does what rakim does only better cause he's had time to observe and advance on it

These types of lists are pointless when comparing hip hop artists. Every artist has their weak and strong points, it simply boils down to individual taste because measuring skill (not that I think this poll did that) is just too much of a large criteria to make an accurate assesment.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

I agree^

Maybe the fact what Em did on Renegade made people's minds up ?

TSA is on point though.

I don't know why people keep bringing up that Renegade joint as a way of comparing Jay and Eminem. We both know that that song is far from either of these guys best material and I think if Jay knew before hand he was gonna get compared to Em based on this song alone I think he would have come much harder on it.

In anycase I find it odd that Em was voted as best mc now in 08 given that he hasn't dropped anything worthwhile in a longtime.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

And when he does the world will stop...I think that may have something to do with it.

The anticipation.