0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

2 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prodigy - Product of the 80's

Default Prodigy - Product of the 80's

Review : Prodigy - Product of the 80's

This is Prodigy's second album this year and third in the last two years if you count Return of the Mac as an album. Most of the time when an artist has releases that are close together they vary greatly in quality. Not here as Product of the 80's measures up pretty close to both HNIC2 and may even be better to certain listeners.

It goes without saying that Prodigy is not as good as he was in the 90s. His voice has changed and his delivery has gotten slower. However, to me just because hes not as good doesn't mean hes awful now. I find his new style lethargically menacing and it works with most of the production. Lyrically hes still in a bit of a rut and has a range limited to hard talk, guns, and a touch of conspiracy theories thrown in. If you cant stand listening to recent Prodigy this album is not going to change your mind.

The guest rappers that frequently appear throughout this album are Big Twins and Un Pacino. We see them on the Cover with P and their names are also on the cover ala Raekwon and Cappadonna on the Ironman cover. While neither of them are any better than P lyrically Big Twins' grimey voice makes him a standout on some of the tracks hes featured on while Un Pacino sounds like a slightly gullier 50 Cent.

What makes this album what it is is the production. The bulk of the production is done by duo Sid Roams and consists of a sound that is distinctively nostalgic of the 80's with an updated hard edge that you would expect from an album from the Mobb Deep camp. The beats are pretty consistant throughout the album with about 2 or 3 that dont really work. Other producers are Jake One and Sebb who both contribute tracks that fit in with the albums theme.

It was kind of weird to me to find out that Havoc has nothing to do with this album at all. On HNIC2 he at least threw in one beat and verse respectively but here we get zippo. Alchemist is also nowhere to be found on this disc. P shouts out Illa Ghee throughout the album but hes not on any tracks either. Also noticeably absent are other members of the Mobb family. I probably would have Preferred Noyd or Illa Ghee to Un Pacino but I guess thats who P was chillin with when this album was recorded.

If you were a fan of P's last 2 releases you wont be disappointed with this one but hes not going to convert any new fans.

Top 5 Tracks

Catch Body Music
    Cold World
    Stop Stressin
    Boxcutters
    Anytime

Beats: 8/10 Rhymes:7/10 Overall: 7.5/10

Track List

1.Intro
    2.Whaddup G'z
    3.Shed Thy Blood
    4.Boxcutters
    5.Catch Body Music
    6.P Keep Spittin
    7.Test Tube Babies
    8.Cold World
    9.Anytime
    10.Stop Stressin
    11.Damn Daddy
    12.Sex,Drugs, and Murder
    13.In The Smash
    14.Circle Don't Stop
    15.Am I Crazy?

Veteran Member

Naw sorry P IS awful, if P was on the Empire State building in the 90's at the height of his game then he must of commited lyrical suicide by jumping off & hitting the concrete HARD because thats how bad hes fallin. BUT.....yeah suprisingly the production as far as an 80's standpoint is pretty fucking ill, about on par or a bit better than HNIC2. Stop Stressin, Boxcutters & Catch Body Music (Castlevania beat) is my favorites

Im the only one still listening to this?

I haven't heard it yet. I don't really like Prodigy nowadays but he surprises me sometimes. I'll have to check it out.

So many bodies on my microphone the shit's haunted

i didnt even know about this coming out then i seen it at the record store yesterday..i was like what?!?!
    i have to say i agree entirely with your review, j-don. especially what you said about his "lethargically menacing" flow. i was just sayin to my girl apon first listen "these days, it doesn't even matter what the fuck p is talkin about, his flow is SICK here."
    i like how he throws in a touch of conspiracy theory ish, but i wish he would just go all out w/ that subject matter. the guns, and bein' hard and shit...boring. but his flow saves the day.
    the beats are spectacular. i think as i spin this disc more this week it's gonna grow on me. i already like it better than the majority of hnic2. but you're right to say it's similar in quality, and he's not going to gain any new fans.

i wondered when i saw this, when was it recorded?? and does p have more shit that will be released for the duration of his incarceration??

FREE PRODIGY!!!
    "We Agreed To Send One To Swim From Lost To Found."

leak?
    http://images.meez.com/user07/3/9/3/0/8/3/9/3930839_bodyshot_175x233.gif

the more i drive around and zone out to this, the more i like it.

especially the beats....but p's new menacing lethargic vibe is growing on me.

i haven't stopped banging it since sunday.
    "We Agreed To Send One To Swim From Lost To Found."

-

Is this a Prodigy solo album? I saw 2 of the dudes from Infamous Mobb on the album cover with him and i figured it wasn't a solo album of his. Mobb Deep have released some wack solo albums lately. I didn't like Return Of The Mac and Kush albums. I saw HNIC part 2 album at the record store last summer and i was thinking about getting it but i decided to pass on it.

PRODIGAL SUN

1/10. shit is whack

-

I thought so. Thanks for telling me.

PRODIGAL SUN

^ Yes it's a P Solo album

i don't think it's that shitty. it's got some serious boat on it. like p says on one track, he used to spit crack now it's only sherm sticks. or something like that, but whatever, it's definitely different from any of his other shit. product of the 80's indeed. i zone out on this album, but not because it bores me.

8/10

Im feeling this so far.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Keep in mind that the theme for this project is the 80's so if you go into it with a mindset of whatever year you are listening to it, it is not going to work. Sid Roams make good stuff and being that Castlevania IIIracula's Curse is my favorite video game of all time, I genuinely appreciated the sample flip on Catch Body Music, I wish Twin Gambino was not reduced to a hook though. Un Pacino sounds like deceased Onyx affilliate X-1. He is locked up right now with serious time for robbery if I recall correctly. My main qualm with the Infamous Mobb Deep camp is that outside of Prodigy and Godfather Part III, they have no true lyricists out of that camp. Havoc has stepped his pen game up starting from Infamy though but I would not still consider him a lyricist just yet. Chinky really needs to release a project of her own, she is good enough to be more than just a background singer all the time. Overall, great project.

This is really dope & heavily under the radar for most. Sick beats & rhymes, almost flawless imo.