posted: 29 December 2009 06:14 pm ET

Buzz up! del.icio.us
    Digg It!
    Newsvine
    reddit

Advertisement

Text Size:
    Comments (42) | Recommend (6)

Most comic book stores are selling only one new comic this week, but that issue has most fans excited enough to make the trip to pick it up.

In fact, Blackest Night #6, the next chapter in the blockbuster DC event by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis, will be the last new comic released in 2009 – an appropriate designation for the story, since it dominated the sales charts this year.

Blackest Night is the culmination of a story that has been building in the Green Lantern title ever since the title's successful relaunch in 2005. Over the last two years since the Sinestro Corps first battled the Green Lanterns, Green Lantern and its partner comic, Green Lantern Corps, have introduced dozens of new concepts and characters while taking readers through an epic tale of different colored corps and their energy ring battles.

In June, Blackest Night began and has been outselling just about everything else since, while readers also flocked to its tie-in issues, action figures and little plastic colored rings.

Yet now that Blackest Nightis over halfway finished, the event has ended up being more than just the space opera implied by a slew of flying aliens with power rings. As readers have discovered over the last six months, Blackest Night is less of a straight-forward superhero story about good vs. evil and more of a twisted, dark story of death and emotional upheaval.

To put all the "blackness" of the story in perspective, Newsarama turned to the architect of Blackest Night, Geoff Johns, to discuss the meaning behind its theme of light versus dark. And as we talked for this two-part interview, we found out more about his future plans for Mera, how Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin picks up from this week's issue, and why Larfleeze might be featured in a special issue next Christmas.

Newsarama: Geoff, I've got all five issues of Blackest Night in front of me.

Geoff Johns: Doesn't it look amazing? Ivan Reis is just doing an awesome job on this series. It's kind of sick how good he is. He deserves all the accolades he’s getting for his work on a project this large in scope. Ivan is the new king of widescreen action and emotional epics.

Nrama: After talking to him about the series, I think one of the biggest accomplishments for Ivan as an artist is that he's not only drawing established characters, but all these new characters and new Black Lanterns and new concepts.

Johns: That's the great thing about Blackest Night. So many of these characters that are driving this series are brand new. There are all these brand new characters in a major comic book, and nobody's saying, "Who are these guys?"

Nrama: That true. We'll get to that in a minute, but I wanted to start the interview by talking with you about the theme of this series, which appears to be focusing on the idea of light representing life and blackness representing death. Am I interpreting that correctly?

Johns: Well, the blackness isn't death. The blackness just is. It's existence. It's emptiness. Death isn't really a force.

Nrama: Just an absence of life?

Johns: An absence of life. You see the dark regions of space, and it's just there. It's emptiness, which I think is the frightening part of death. The fear that everyone we love and ourselves just...stop being. Nekron is essentially sentient space, whether he's death or not. People equate him to death because he's the antithesis of life. The universe was here first and, in reality, Nekron is the true Guardian of the Universe.

Nrama: I think it was Indigo-1 that said something about "we are the trespassers here" during this series. Is that what she's talking about?

Johns: We're the invaders. Black Hand says it best: We age because we're not supposed to be here. So we grow old. It's the universe fighting against us. We age and die because we aren’t wanted here.

Nrama: That seems so twisted. This is the reason behind what Black Hand and Nekron are doing?

Johns: Well, Black Hand's a different character from Nekron. Nekron isn't sadistic or malicious. His position is that life is a cancerous growth on the universe. Nekron wants peace. And it hasn't been like that since life first came into being.

Space was here then life came and messed up everything. In truth, life is chaos and death is order.

That's where the war came from. In my mind, that's what I've created. The ultimate war is light versus darkness. And this is what it's rooted in.

Nrama: You had said early in the series that the white light of creation was splintered into these seven separate energies, and now these Lanterns are trying to bring them back together to form that light again. So upon creation, emotions took form? Is that the idea?

Johns: Life is emotion. So emotion didn't take form until life became sentient and felt something. The dark has fought back. But the first time the light was splintered was when a living creature willed itself to move, and it used willpower to voluntarily move. Then boom, the spark of green was created and then the light started to get splintered.

So really, the first War of Light was way back when. It was when the light first came here, and it was waging a war against darkness and creating life. That's when the light splintered, because it had to splinter. It couldn't just stay focused; it had to splinter and make everything.

Nrama: There's also the characters and their story during this series. So many of the stories that you've written have been a hero on a journey. In Infinite Crisis, it was Superboy's journey, and the trinity and Earth-2 Superman. In Sinestro Corps War, the biggest challenge to overcome ended up being Kyle's. Is there a hero we're seeing journey in this series?

Johns: I think it's pretty obvious. It's Hal and Barry.

Nrama: It wasn't that obvious until recently, Geoff. I think we're only right now finding out why.

Johns: No one is front and center randomly.

Nrama: I asked about heroes, but it feels a little like, in this event, we've seen Black Hand's journey as much as anyone's. Blackest Night is the culmination of what he's been wanting his whole life.

Johns: Black Hand is on the verge of finally understanding why he is this way and why he feels this way. Black Hand is very much in his element, so to speak. It is a villain's journey.

Nrama: You told me in the interview we did just before Blackest Night began that Black Hand had ended up becoming one of your favorite characters to write. Why is Black Hand a favorite?

Johns: Because he's not redeeming at all. There are no redeeming qualities to Black Hand. None. This guy's not like us. This guy doesn't think like us. He doesn't have the same value system.

That's why I like writing him. It is hard to get into his head, but as frightening as it is, you get in there and it's a very interesting place to be. You get into his mind and realize you can’t stay there too long. I thought that Black Hand issue, Doug Mahnke did an incredible job.

And of course, Green Lantern should have villains that are dark. Green Lantern is all about the light, literally and metaphorically.

Nrama: In this series, there's also been a focus on Mera. Before this series began, you had told me the character you were enjoying writing at that moment was a female character, and you gave a few hints. And at the time, nobody guessed it would be Mera. There were several other characters that were expected by the masses. How did you land upon her character above all the others as your strong female lead in this story?

Johns: The other journeys, next to Hal and Barry, are the Atom and Mera. They both go through specific journeys. The Atom's culminates in The Atom and Hawkman issue I'm doing, and it continues through Blackest Night. And Mera's goes through Blackest Night, Blackest Night: Wonder Woman and beyond. She’ll be someone I’ll be working with in 2010, 2011 and beyond. The same thing goes for the Atom. His perspective is obviously different from anybody else's. And he's been at the center of the storm of a lot of things that have gone on in the DC Universe. But it’s time for Ray to step up and move on into new emotional territory.

Mera just developed organically, because I've always found that character intriguing. A lot of people recognized that character, but nothing's been done with her in years. I wanted to put her on the stage. You know, Aquaman's not here. It's like the whole beat that Barry says to them: "We're the Justice League now. You're Superman, and you're Wonder Woman. So let's go do this."

I knew I would be introducing all these new characters, and I thought at the same time I'd like to take a couple old characters like Mera and Black Hand alongside Larfleeze and Saint Walker.

Nrama: You said you always found Mera's character "intriguing." Why?

Johns: I just always found her to be powerful and strong and unexplored. She stood apart; she wasn't Aquawoman, which I liked. She was her own character, separate from Aquaman. She had her own history. I always found her appealing and thought she could be an important character, and I believe she's going to be one of the strongest females in the coming years.

Nrama: You also said Ray Palmer has a "unique perspective." Do you mean because he can shrink, or are you talking about his history?

Johns: [laughs] Well, yes, he sees things differently when he's small. But not exactly; I mean he has a different perspective on life. I'm exploring that a little more in Blackest Night and The Atom and Hawkman.

Really, the story we're telling about so many of these characters in this series is all about moving beyond your past. Like John Stewart's face to face with Xanshi. And Sinestro and Hal took on Abin Sur. It's kind of looking at the pasts these characters have gone through, allowing them to confront it head on and then moving on.

The post-Blackest Night world is a very different world. And this series is about confronting the past, then moving on and doing new stories and new adventures and new characters, and a whole new direction for everybody. But the specific characters in Blackest Night will carry on, and they’re all part of a bigger plan.

Nrama: I never really thought of it before you started talking about all the history that is being confronted in this series, but DC characters sure have a lot of emotional baggage.

Johns: Yeah! Well, people have a lot of emotional baggage. I mean, I look at... I've got emotional baggage. You've got emotional baggage. We lose somebody and that's going to stick with you. I've lost somebody close to me in my sister, and that stays with you. And that's why DC characters have baggage; Marvel characters have baggage too. Every human being has baggage. Every living person has baggage, unless you're six months old. And even then, you could have baggage. [laughs]

Nrama: But my emotional baggage doesn't manifest itself and come to confront me head-on quite like we're seeing in this series.

Johns: No, but that's why it's a great look at the characters in the DC Universe. The thing I'm most proud about this crossover is that it's based on character and emotion.

Nrama: There are two levels to it. It's not only literally based on emotion, through the various rings, but each character's story is all about their personal confrontation of emotion.

Johns: Exactly. And people are getting confronted head-on about their emotions, about who they are as people at the very center. For years, John Stewart has been defined by Xanshi. It’s time to close that door and push John Stewart to a new place. 2010 is all about the new. More on that soon.

But that's why I really enjoyed writing The Atom and Hawkman, because it goes to the core of who Ray Palmer really is. He's confronting the demons that are in his world, and having to figure out how he moves on from those, and how he can deal with those on a day-to-day basis.

And the overarching theme of what these heroes are dealing with is death. And that's something we all deal with.

So that's also what this story is. It's an ultimate struggle over meaning and purpose. In a comic book universe, how can death mean anything? If characters are resurrected every other week, and I’m as guilty as anyone for that, what does it matter? What does death mean? What is it? Is it a bad thing? You know? Or do we have to just accept it?

Nrama: So this is not only an exploration of the revolving door of death, but just the meaning of death in general?

Johns: It's both. Death is a real thing, and it's also a theme in comic books that has been used as a reboot tool. But it needs a meaning. How many guys have died and come back between Marvel and DC? A lot. And there are a lot of different reasons for it.

But I wanted to tackle death in comics, but also, more importantly, death in a real world sense. And for me, real world issues are always more interesting to explore under the guise of a “good old superhero story” rather than tackling them head-on. You can enjoy Blackest Night as a big, fun superhero event or you can delve into the symbolism behind the Lanterns and the villains and explore and confront your own issues with the past or with death. It’s up to the reader.

Nrama: The image of bodies rising from the grave is one that just naturally creeps a person out. Do you think that's because of people not wanting to confront death the way you're describing? Is that what makes people so afraid of the rising dead?

Johns: We're all going to be there one day. It's just a scary thought. But it doesn’t have to be. We all have light in us, how brightly it glows depends on us...
    Look for Part 2 Wednesday morning.

By Vaneta Rogers
    posted: 30 December 2009 10:38 am ET

Buzz up! del.icio.us
    Digg It!
    Newsvine
    reddit

Advertisement

Text Size:
    Comments (28) | Recommend (2)
    Click here for Part One

Most comic book stores are selling only one new comic this week, but that issue has most fans excited enough to make the trip to pick it up.

In fact, Blackest Night #6, the next chapter in the blockbuster DC event by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis, will be the last new comic released in 2009 – an appropriate designation for the story, since it dominated the sales charts this year.

Blackest Night is the culmination of a story that has been building in the Green Lantern title ever since the title's successful relaunch in 2005. Over the last two years since the Sinestro Corps first battled the Green Lanterns, Green Lantern and its partner comic, Green Lantern Corps, have introduced dozens of new concepts and characters while taking readers through an epic tale of different colored corps and their energy ring battles.

In June, Blackest Night began and has been outselling just about everything else since, while readers also flocked to its tie-in issues, action figures and little plastic colored rings.

Yet now that Blackest Nightis over halfway finished, the event has ended up being more than just the space opera implied by a slew of flying aliens with power rings. As readers have discovered over the last six months, Blackest Night is less of a straight-forward superhero story about good vs. evil and more of a twisted, dark story of death and emotional upheaval.

To put all the "blackness" of the story in perspective, Newsarama turned to the architect of Blackest Night, Geoff Johns, to discuss the meaning behind its theme of light versus dark. And as we talked for this two-part interview, we found out more about his future plans for Mera, how Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin picks up from this week's issue, and why Larfleeze might be featured in a special issue next Christmas.

Newsarama: Geoff, in the first half of our conversation you mentioned your own emotional baggage relating to death. As a writer, does it feel good to deal with death as a bad guy you can beat up? Is that almost cathartic?

Geoff Johns: I guess so. [laughs] Probably. Through these characters, I think we all can experience that confrontation with death that we all have to confront sooner or later. We don't deal with it on a daily basis, but it will sneak up on you. And it's something that's a part of life and reality, and I think everybody struggles with it at one point or another.

But you know, there's more to this comic, obviously. Blackest Night is also a fun, superhero crossover. And I worked really, really hard to try to make it open and fun. And colorful. It's the most colorful comic you can find because of all the Lanterns. But also, like we discussed earlier, it's a place with new characters. People always say, "We need new characters in comics!" Well... here they are! Here's a slew of DC characters.

Nrama: You could make an oversized Secret Files issue with just the new characters you've introduced during this run of Green Lantern and Blackest Night.

Johns: Yeah, but I don't only want to do that. I want to do a Larfleeze mini-series and other series with these characters. But yeah, there are so many new characters here, and new characters popping in like this, one after another and filling the pages – that doesn't happen very often.

Nrama: Wait a minute, did you just say you want to do a Larfleeze mini-series?

Johns: I want to do a Larfleeze mini-series! I actually have an idea for a Larfleeze Christmas Special that I want to do really bad. I guarantee that will be out next Christmas. A Larfleeze Christmas Special.

But I'd like to tackle some of these other Lanterns. I think there's exploration to be done, and a lot of them will be in Green Lantern during the post-Blackest Night world. But some of them could carry over into other things. I just want to be smart about exploring these characters beyond Green Lantern.

Larfleeze for me has just been great to write. He's had some great moments in Blackest Night. But there is still a lot more to explore with Atrocitus, Saint Walker, Indigo and even Sinestro and Carol. Not to mention what Hal’s going to have to deal with in a post-Blackest Night universe.

Nrama: Let's get back to this idea of "what death means in comics." You had visited the idea of the "revolving door of death" way back in the Teen Titans issue with Kid Eternity.

Johns: Yep.

Nrama: Was there a sense, even at that time, that this issue needed to be addressed? Because right now, at the end of Issue #5, it's become central to this event.

Johns: Yeah, it's front and center. And that was always the idea.

Nrama: Can you explain anything about what Nekron meant when he said these heroes didn't actually escape death but are still connected to it?

Johns: Well, I think it's pretty self-explanatory. I don't want to lay it out word for word. I don't want to dissect its meaning. People can figure it out. Keep reading.

Nrama: Is this connection with death related to why Donna reacted the way she did to what happened to her?

Johns: Well... yes, but she was already well on her way to becoming a Black Lantern.

Nrama: Dan told Newsarama readers that Grant's upcoming story in Batman and Robin ties very closely to the events of Blackest Night #6. Have you coordinated with Grant how this is going to effect the Batman universe? And is there anything you can tell us about it?

Johns: It's pretty simple. We took the skull, and reanimated Black Lantern Batman to get an emotional reaction from the heroes that know him, and that allowed Nekron to retake them. It's blasted apart, but the skull's there. And the skull eventually makes its way back to Batman and Robin, where Dick Grayson then takes the remains of Bruce from the cemetery there and the skull, and he puts them in the Batcave. And that's where you pick up on Grant's story.

Nrama: So this "emotional tether" that "manifested" when Barry touched the skull... that was what allowed Nekron to retake the heroes?

Johns: Yes.

Nrama: The story's been laced with all kinds of clues to the way the Black Lanterns function. Atom says the ring he entered has the same porous structure as bones or dark matter?

Johns: I find that fascinating. Grant and I were talking about it. Dark matter, which is this understructure of the universe, looks like the structure of bones. They have the same kind of ornate structure. That's not an accident. There's something to that.

Nrama: Nekron also mentioned that there are microscopic wormholes. Is that the way they take emotional energy instead of releasing it like the other Lanterns.

Johns: See? You can figure this stuff out. [laughs] I don't need to spell it out for you.

Nrama: The Indigo Tribe has been revealed...

Johns: If you ask me any questions about them, I won't answer. [laughs]

Nrama: This language they use – oh, and I love that their oath rhymes.

Johns: Yeah! Of course their oath rhymes!

Nrama: Do all those words in their language actually mean something in English?

Nrama: Is there a dictionary somewhere you're keeping?

Johns: Nobody will ever see it. It stays with me. I will say that “Nok” is an expression of affirmation and enlightenment urging others to participate, invest or sacrifice.

Nrama: Nok is used a lot. But the rest of the words' meanings aren't going to eventually be in the back of an issue so we can find out what they're saying?

Johns: Nope. You'll never, ever see it.

Nrama: But you do know what that oath means.

Nrama: Is "Abin Sur" in the Indigo Tribe's oath?

Johns: He is! Weird! [laughs]

Nrama: This guy Abin keeps showing up. People are saying they've met him who we didn't know had met him. And the Indigo Tribe mentions him in their oath. What's up with that, Geoff?

Johns: Huh. It's very strange. [laughs]

Nrama: Is it related to his connection to the prophesy?

Johns: Maybe. Of course, Abin was the first one who stumbled upon the idea of Blackest Night.

Nrama: I know you don't want to say anything about the Indigo Tribe, but you had told me awhile ago that they weren't what people expect. And it's so true. In my head, I can't resolve the question of why the "compassion" corps would kill a Green Lantern, or play judge and jury. Will this be explained?

Johns: Sure. But it's an ongoing process. I just don't want to put it all out there.

Nrama: With the scope of this series and what comes after it, are you coordinating all these Blackest Night tie-ins and how the series affects things even outside the issues you're writing?

Johns: I spent three months at the beginning of the year in New York, and I've been working non-stop with Eddie Berganza and Adam Schlagman who are my Guardians. The three of us are really the ones at the center. I’m so grateful to all the hard work Eddie and Adam have put into this. They are amazing.

Nrama: You had a lot of experience coordinating this kind of thing because of your work on Infinite Crisis, didn't you?

Johns: Yeah. And with Eddie, which helped Blackest Night. We knew some of the challenges we’d encounter early on already.

Nrama: Earlier in the interview, you touched upon your issue of The Atom and Hawkman. Is there anything more you can tell us about the story you'll be telling in that issue?

Johns: You'll see Atom go to places that he's never been. I don't know what else I can really say. I mean, it's Ryan Sook. That's all you guys really need to know. He's amazing. Every one of his pages should be framed. The Atom's never looked this good.

Nrama: OK, so which of the Black Lantern action figures is your favorite?

Johns: Saint Walker. But Larfleeze, when he comes out, might beat him because he comes with his man-purse Glomulus.

Nrama: Do you have them?

Johns: I have Saint Walker and Atrocitus and I just got Indigo-1.

Nrama: I remember talking to Ethan about Saint Walker, and he didn't specifically intend this to be the final character, but he used him in the costume design sketches and you loved the way he looked.

Johns: Yeah, we talked about a fish-looking guy, I think. But I think the way he looks is perfect for his character. Then Ivan did some alterations to make it what you currently see.

Nrama: Were you involved at all in the decision to release Blackest Night #6 this week, when Diamond isn't shipping comics?

Johns: No, that was DC. But it's a great idea, and I'm really happy we can do that. I think it means Blackest Night #6 will be the only new comic that comes out that week. I’ll be at my store tomorrow.

Nrama: You've added so much to the mythology of Green Lantern, from this idea of the creation of the emotional spectrum to the history of all these characters to the oaths and the formation of the corps. And yet, last time we talked, you told me most of this is just up there in your head. It's not really written down anywhere. Is that still true?

Johns: I should write that down. My girlfriend is always telling me to write this stuff down before I forget it. [laughs] And all these new guys have massive stories. I mean, I could write a multi-book for every one of the corps members, easy, because they have so much story behind them and, more importantly, in front of them. Saint Walker, Indigo, Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Sinestro. It's more than what you see at first glance. Like Atrocitus, there's so much more to him than just the rage you usually see. And Saint Walker, there's more to him than just this peaceful, zen-like Blue Lantern.

Nrama: Dealing with all these colors and emotions for the last couple years, Geoff, do you start seeing emotions in your head the way the Black Lanterns do?

Johns: What do you mean?

Nrama: Like this idea that love is violet. Or rage is red. Have you found yourself, when maybe you're writing a love scene, or a fight scene... do you see those colors?

Johns: Oh, you mean me? [laughs] No. But I was in New York, actually, and one night I was having some weird dreams, and I remember just waking up and thinking “there are so many colors.” I blame the pizza.

i was lucky enough to pick up BN6 and i was just gonna talk about it..awesome....i wont reveal spoilers but, shit was nice.

"lex luthor, you want it all"

superhero comics at its finest.

i read asterios polyp by david mazzucelli...excellent book, plays with the artform of comics itself, it's definitely on an entirely different plateau

agreed...and ill try n check out asterios...mazz. is crazy.

everytime i read Johns' shit, i wonder if bendis does too..eloels. wouldnt hurt.

anybody catch that best of 09 list over at cbr?

yea.

i read one more day for the lulz.

^ dear lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    i read asterios polyp by david mazzucelli...excellent book, plays with the artform of comics itself, it's definitely on an entirely different plateau
    well god damn... the dymics of this book are incredible how he uses geometrics as a method of abstraction and contradiction.
    nice reccomendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    everytime i read Johns' shit, i wonder if bendis does too..eloels. wouldnt hurt.
    lol... BN6 is painfully waiting for me.

.still.

wed. its out everywhere it wasnt last week.

your sig always gets High Definition by Lupe n Snoop stuck in my damn head

spider-woman officially sucks...maleev's artwork is great but the last 4 issues have had like 1 issue worth of story in them...really egregious example of decompression

i just read some alan moore swamp things and these comics that are over 20 years old make the majority of what marvel and dc puts out look pitiful still...

still catching up on green lantern, copped the blackest nightales of the corp miniseries...i love the side characters and mythology johns has developed, it's really rich and i wish i hadn't slept on this for so long.

poetic wun, check out mazzucelli's adaptation of paul auster's city of glass from the mid 90s, it's also very good. it's insane to think the weakest thing mazzucelli's been involved with artistically is his daredevil issues lol he did the art on the daredevil issue that crossed over with secret wars 2 (don't know the number, i think 219 maybe) that's also excellent.

does batman and robin 7 drop this week? i need my fix...i reread 1-6 a few weeks ago and the whole series so far has been entertaining, even the tan issues are good once you get use to the change in art styles.

When it comes to the Young Guns, it looks like Marvel has one less weapon in its arsenal, as the Source announced today that Ultimatum artist David Finch would be joining DC as an exclusive artist!

“I’m absolutely thrilled to be joining the DC family!” Finch said on the blog. “It feels too good to be true that I’m going to have the chance to draw some of the most dynamic, iconic, and fun characters in the business. I’ve been a DC comics fan for a very long time, so it’s a very big honor to finally have a part in their creation.”
    Now, headhunting artists isn’t a new thing in this business — heck, Marvel has been doing that to DC for years, snatching up people like Jason Aaron and Dale Eaglesham after they had gotten some good buzz with stuff like Scalped and JSA — but the thing that interests me the most is… I don’t think Finch has done a mainstream DC book outside of the Darkness/Batman special. (It took me awhile just to find the above Batman sketch, courtesy of Pulp Art!)
    So it’s interesting to me that the jump to exclusive was made so quickly — but that said, look at what Finch has done the past few years. He was artist on Ultimatum, which was selling like hotcakes every month it printed; he was the opening artist on Brian Michael Bendis’s New Avengers run; he’s been doing covers for books like World War Hulk, Moon Knight, and Siege; and he’s been played up for years as the first wave of Marvel’s “Young Guns” Initiative. What say you? What book would you be excited to see Finch draw?

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 at 1:30 pm and is filed under DC Comics, News & Views. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

If they're smart, they just cancel this bullshit Justice League they're doing and relaunch it with Finch and Geoff Johns. Or stick him on Batman

im not a big finch fan, so i dont care. eloels. as for BN, read the GL stuff..its my fav. even more so than the main series. and no, no B&R today.