Thread: Comic Book Discussion Thread

I got Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Dark Knight and Hawkman. Haven't read them yet. Not sure if I'm going to continue to buy because I usually wait on the trades. But I may finish the story arc for Animal Man, JL, Batman, WW, and Detective so far.

copped jl dark & aquaman. haven't read em though.

def will be back for animal man. shit was weird. but good weird. and i like good weird.

anybody cop the frank miller holy terror hardcover?
    supposed to be batman & catwoman vs terrorists but dc said "hell no!". so now its the fixer & catlady (i made up the catlady part. dont know what that character is called now).
    "Fuck Wu Tang Corp" - The GZA/Genius

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell

i could barely get thru superman smh

Quote Originally Posted by main_man View Post
    anybody cop the frank miller holy terror hardcover?
    supposed to be batman & catwoman vs terrorists but dc said "hell no!". so now its the fixer & catlady (i made up the catlady part. dont know what that character is called now).
    I heard it was terrible and fairly bigoted...which is disappointing because miller has done some of my favorite comics ever, but I'm not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    i could barely get thru superman smh
    why?

some of the dialogue was corny (it read like a throwback to the pre-death of superman era), but i liked that it was dense, there was a lot happening, and you got perspectives of multiple characters. it just wasn't very interesting. I thought the art was pretty good, though.

All Star Western and Animal Man were the best #1s for me.

it wasnt interesting..exactly, i also liked and immediately noted how much wordier it was than most of these other books, but it was boring

^that's true.

this is promising though:
    Do you find it difficult when you stop working on a character, like Batman, to let other people take over?
    Grant: Och no, I don't, honestly I don't really bother. It's not that proprietorial, once I've done my thing you know. I kind of – no, I was about to say I don't really read them after but I do actually, I always read them! (laughs) I can't help it, when I read Doom Patrol recently and they've brought back Danny the Street as Danny the Brick – aww c'mon Keith [Giffen]! (laughs)

But you are coming back to Batman...
    Grant: Yeah, I mean again it's I want to do something a bit different because you know as I've said, comics in the last ten years have tried to imitate movies but movies have now got so good at doing comics that we just look like a poor cousin. So what I've been doing, I was talking to like Chris Burnham on Batman for the final season, these last 12 parts of the Batman Leviathan story is that he's gonna do the lead work you know, I'm just going to do it almost like Marvel style with a really detailed plot and just say break this down. So we were looking at all these, like Paul Gulacy's Master of Kung Fu, and Walt Simonson and things and thinking lets get back to multi-panel pages and slicing time and doing all the things that comics can do. Because we got so into just that wide screen, four panels a page look that it began to take over everything and all it was was an imitation of how it feels to sit in a movie theatre without the audiences heads in front of you.
    So I kind of thought now's the time, particularly as the sales are diving and DC are making this great, this mad final flourish to see what happens, it's time to just let the artist take over again. The writers have been running the show for too long, it's ossified into a certain approach. I think it would be really nice to start seeing you know, like I said, things that only comics can do that movies can't do, like that double page spread that Chris Burnham did in Batman Incorporated where it's like across the entire world in slices but everything joins up and all the perspective lines match so it's like one giant image of multiple batmen doing the same thing. More of that stuff, and more of the stuff they were doing in Watchmen and you know, kind of just letting the artists go a bit wilder.
    http://www.comicbookgrrrl.com/2011/0...rant-morrison/

what.

animal is soooo good...alot of it is the art...the "...into the red" splash page was some ralph steadman shit.

^^ how much was it? I heard it's not really worth the omnibus pricetag because of lack of size. Is this true?

got mine thru amazon...pre-ordered back when they had the price wrong at $100...so with discount it was $62 plus shipping

it's about the size of the astonishing x-men omni, or about 2/3 of simonson's thor.

I probably won't even get around to reading it for months, but whatever....it has alot of bonus content, which is probably why it was so expensive.

Animal man...wtf eloels...great book

never thought i'd say this.
    aquaman was the shit!!!

and jesus christ, schism 5 was just awful. one of the worst declines in quality from one issue to the next i may have seen in the last 5 years. i cant draw worth a fuck, but i think i could have drawn that comic better than kubert did. just horrible art.
    "Fuck Wu Tang Corp" - The GZA/Genius

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell

What did everyone get today? I got Hulk#1, Wolvie and X-Men#1, Aquaman#2, Dark Knight#2, and TMNT#3. Almost got Astonishing XMen but decided against it, my pile was big enough.

way too much shit

Todd McFarlane Spider-Man Omnibus (50% off wtf)
    Aquaman 1,2
    Flash 2
    FF 11
    Journey Into Mystery 630
    Venom 8
    JL Dark 2
    Daredevil 5
    I, Vampire 2
    Wolvie and the X-Men 1
    Hulk 1
    Spidey 672
    Astonishing X-Men 43
    All Star Western 2
    Red Wing 4
    Spaceman 1 (shit was $1.00 and looks boss as hell)

Time to get reading!

Spent almost $100 even with discount...don't go to the comic store high with extra cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by main_man View Post
    never thought i'd say this.
    aquaman was the shit!!!

and jesus christ, schism 5 was just awful. one of the worst declines in quality from one issue to the next i may have seen in the last 5 years. i cant draw worth a fuck, but i think i could have drawn that comic better than kubert did. just horrible art.
    yeah wtf happened there...i can think of a bigger drop off in quality though...batman and robin #17.

wolverine & the x men...was interesting, what a creative team