Thread: Comic Book Discussion Thread

bendis' slow pacing and really simplistic plotting has really put me off of him for probably about two years now (really the spider-woman series was when i started to thinking he sucks lol)...) plus his dialogue, which was always the best aspect of his writing to me, feels repetive and old-hat...i might check out the tpb, because bendis-maleev have done good work before.

i hate to say it, but overall with the exception of about 4 or 5 books
    (x-force, daredevil, journey into mystery and i'm drawing a blank right now), the writing at DC and Image is way better than marvel right now...especially when it comes to pacing and giving a good, satisfying read in 20 pages

gotta disagree. but, im a hood cat all my life, so i like marvel WAY better than dc.

dc's always been the lily white bred comic company.
    hell, even after the reboot there's only like 3 or 4 black superheroes (mr. terrific, staitk, cyborg, batwing and............).
    and even after the reboot, most of the "new 52" sucks just as bad as the phoned in marvel stuff. which has really grown in the past 3 years.

i still think the best stuff at marvel is way more entertaining then the dc stuff.
    new avengers
    avengers
    uncanny x force
    punisher max
    daredevil
    moon knight
    wolverine & the x-men
    wolverine
    secret avengers
    avengers academy (which hasnt been as good lately).

and as far as dc goes ill give em aquaman, animal man, wonder woman, and a couple of the bat books. but all the rest of that shit is straight marvel 1990's paper to start fires with. lol
    "Fuck Wu Tang Corp" - The GZA/Genius

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell

whether or not marvel or dc is better at a given time pretty much depends on who has the better writers and artists

alot of marvel's stuff just feels too similar to me right now, in terms of writing, tone, and even the presentation of the art...they need to get away from the screenplay/wannabe movie style of comics writing and art and get weird and psychedelic with it like flash, swamp thing, animal man, batwoman and batman incorporated. part of the reason why dardevil is so good right now is because the art is presenting shit in a way that only comics can.

as far as what you're saying about the race stuff...how many black characters does marvel have with a regular series that isn't about to be cancelled right now? when has marvel ever had more than one regular series starring a non-white character at a time? (i'll give you that all 4 of dc's books with black heroes have shitty writing or artwork and it always bugs me that the "A-List" writers and artists are never put on those books) how many solo books with female characters does marvel have now? why are all of the black male x-men either depowered, dead or time travelling failed baby assassins?

marvel does have a better/deeper roster of non-white and female characters overall, though

both of the companies put out alot of bullshit...it's kind of like comparing burger king to wendy's or something...dc just has better fries and a better value menu to me right now. or something.

marvel did just put out the sweet ass 'vengeance' miniseries that nobody probably bought
    Last edited by Dr. Simon Hurt; 12-28-2011 at 11:10 PM.

What are some good Marvel series out now? I'm not reading anything from Marvel at the moment.

apparently Vengeance

^ that and uncanny x-force, daredevil, wolverine and the x-men, journey into mystery, amazing spider-man...i'd also take a look at main_main's list a few posts up.

thats why i like you, pandemic. you make some of the most valid points on this wretched forum. lol

and your right, marvel's been slacking major lately.

even my beloved new avengers (although still highly entertaining to me, personally) has fallen victim to the been there, done that syndrome. but its the marvel superteam roster i've been waiting for since i was a pup, so i have to support it. lol

scalped is still the best book on the stands. (not for long though)

and dc's black & non-white characters often seem so forced that its funny.
    comics need more blue & green skinned heroes also. they are a vast minority.

but not as much as latino super heroes. lol

^^ I was actually reading Avengers, New Avengers & Avengers Academy from the first issues up to around issue 16-17 but then stopped when I cleared my standing list. I liked them but not really bothered catching up again. Daredevil I was enjoying until the Black Panther took over, it was still ok but meh, I think I was the only person who enjoyed Shadownland.

in case ya'll didn't see the poster for the action bronson/mr. muthafuckin exquire show, here it is.

posters the shit. im sure the show was too.

where do you guys get your comic book downloads from?

^i buy mine...i tried reading shit on the computer a few years back but i really hate it lol i feel disengaged from the experience of reading...you can't smell a computer or bring it up closer to your face to scrutinize the artwork...or lay in bed with it or take it to the bathroom (well you can, but why?)...like i have a laptop but i doubt i'd start digital even if i had an ipad or kindle or whatever.

that bronson and mf'n exquire poster is sick

defenders #2 was cool...the synergy between animal man and swamp thing is great, but even though i'm reading both i hope they don't become dependent on each other. 'socks' is a G lol.

i'm thinking about dropping all but a few 'must read' monthlies and going back to buying mostly collections

defenders #2.
    the exchange between dr. strange & red she-hulk.

classic. lol

maybe now he will change his name to dr. creepy.

this stuff might look better in black and white

Swamp Thing Issue 2 pages 8, 9, 10 and 11

Swamp Thing Issue 3 pages 11 and 12:

Swamp Thing Issue 5 pages 1, 5, 18 and 20

Swamp Thing Issue 6 and Issue 7 covers

man, scalped was amazing.

is #56 it or is it going to #60?

^I read it was going to #60...I pick it up in TPB...i got Volume 8 but I haven't had a chance to read it yet