Page 4 of 220 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Discussion Thread

I'm not disappointed with comics in general, just disappointed with the tendency of Marvel/DC recently to have an endless number of events/crossovers running consecutively and sometimes concurrently. They can't gain readers with this startegy so the only other thing I see them doing is alienating the more frustrated members of the core fanbase. A good approach is stuff like Detective Comics (Nguyen's killing the art right now, Dini's stuff is top notch), All Star Superman, stuff that uses the familiar characters to simply tell a good story not status quo altering, cataclysmic event bullshit. Punisher is good, Fables/Jack of Fables (and even they're having a crossover!), Elephantmen, Madame Xanadu...besides that I've been catching up on old Vertigo stuff like Y: The Last Man, Sandman, and waiting for the next League of Extarordinary Gentlemen to come out (Alan Moore is the greatest comic writer of all time, but you guys probably knew that already...I read V for Vendetta for like the 10th time a few days ago and it still holds up). I dig All Star Batman, Grant Morrison's Batman has been frustrating at times but generally enjoyable... Spider-Man and X-Men are my absolute favorites (other than Batman) and their current status quo's are driving me insane (the Joe Kelly/ Chris Bachalo story in ASM was good, some of the art in this series drives me to pick it up) X-Men is a mess, the Decimation stuff destroyed the raison d'etre of the whole shit, plus Rogue, Storm, Gambit have gotten no face time and Bishop's a nut who wants to murder a baby now...oh, and Black Panther's been a mess for since the Civil War issues which were good except for the Secret Invasion story which owns the world, get those issues if you don't have 'em, but T'Challa deserves cosistently good writing not Hudlin's half-assed shit...oh, the Black Panther's going to be a women with a new #1? great...sorry for the ramble...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    Black Bolt is the man, we'll see how this goes...if its anything like Silent War.
    Silent War was the business, loved the artwork in that and they should've let Hine finish his trilogy (With this and Son of M)...are they saying he was a Skrull in this now? can somebody give me spoilers from the secret invasion inhumans? was a he a skrull in this or world war hulk?

Black Bolt? he was replaced with a Skrull, but he recently escaped.

i still love h.e.r. NAKHI the SOLORIAN's Avatar

oh wait til you guys read SI #8...........

major Marvel Universe shift on the last page

click the sig if you vatican status

holy shit...lmao...DONT TEASE ME...TOMORO!! and also we'll see where this Batman RIP shit is going...tho that came out today.

I got that also(The Final Crisis one)

what Final Crisis one, conclusion? and btw....wtf at the end of Secret Invasion.....SUPER wtf.

o u mean Last Rites, right?

V, i def. see what u mean about the crossovers...shit is fuckin ridiculous indeed. As for Spider-Man and X Men as of late....though ive been following X-Men...its been pretty fuckin boring....Spider-Man has taken an apporach i dig like hell, fist with the weekly thing, second with the shorter stories, and switchin artists (New ways to die was sick).

what do u think about Pun Max? and on the subject of DC and Dini...what do u think about the Heart of Hush story?

V, i def. see what u mean about the crossovers...shit is fuckin ridiculous indeed. As for Spider-Man and X Men as of late....though ive been following X-Men...its been pretty fuckin boring....Spider-Man has taken an apporach i dig like hell, fist with the weekly thing, second with the shorter stories, and switchin artists (New ways to die was sick).

what do u think about Pun Max? and on the subject of DC and Dini...what do u think about the Heart of Hush story?
    Amazing Spider-Man has had some fantastic artwork (Marcos Martin might be my favorite Spider-Man artist of all time on the strength of what 5 issues?) lately and some good writing (and some shit too, they're trying too hard to give it a retro feel)...some of the changes they've made since ditching MJ seem pointless to me but overall i'll agree the book has been better than it's been since like John Romita Jr. left during Straczynski's run...i just hate retcons. Punsiher Max is still butter to me, it's not as good as when Ennis was writing but it's still a quality self contained comic. I thought Heart of Hush was good, Nguyen's art is great...what did you think of RIP? I found Batman 681 underwhelming but enjoyed 682 and Morrison's run overall, i just think he writes in an occasionally superficial way and while some of the ideas were brilliant he didn't invest them with sufficient depth. Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman would've worked harder to really delve into Bats going nuts, i thought the Zur-En-Arrh stuff was clever though.

And about the Black Bolt thing, when did the skrulls replace him? and can somebody school me on War of Kings? I checked out of Annihilation Conquest on the first hardcover, and have read Rise and Fall of Shi'ar but not the Vulcan miniseries...will I be lost?

yeah you gotta read The Vulcan mini to truly understand what is going on and also the Secrect Invasion: Inhumans to get a grip on everything that is going on....

as far as War on Kings well....they are bieng hush hush about it there is not that much on it yet....I went to wikipedia and Marvel.com for my info

last page of Hulk # 8....lol

they gonna whup his ass............

did they reveal who he is yet?

Quote Originally Posted by vay727 View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man has had some fantastic artwork (Marcos Martin might be my favorite Spider-Man artist of all time on the strength of what 5 issues?) lately and some good writing (and some shit too, they're trying too hard to give it a retro feel)...some of the changes they've made since ditching MJ seem pointless to me but overall i'll agree the book has been better than it's been since like John Romita Jr. left during Straczynski's run...i just hate retcons. Punsiher Max is still butter to me, it's not as good as when Ennis was writing but it's still a quality self contained comic. I thought Heart of Hush was good, Nguyen's art is great...what did you think of RIP? I found Batman 681 underwhelming but enjoyed 682 and Morrison's run overall, i just think he writes in an occasionally superficial way and while some of the ideas were brilliant he didn't invest them with sufficient depth. Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman would've worked harder to really delve into Bats going nuts, i thought the Zur-En-Arrh stuff was clever though.

And about the Black Bolt thing, when did the skrulls replace him? and can somebody school me on War of Kings? I checked out of Annihilation Conquest on the first hardcover, and have read Rise and Fall of Shi'ar but not the Vulcan miniseries...will I be lost?
    I thought RIP was ok...not bad, and as for the skrulls replacing Bolt...i think it was after they found out about the Elektra skrull.

did they reveal who he is yet?

nah not yet