1 4.76%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q-Tip - The Renaissance

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Default Q-Tip - The Renaissance

When A Tribe Called Quest broke up people thought it was all over for Q-Tip and the crew but little did people know when Q-Tip dropped 1999’s “Amplified” that something special was going to happen. But over the course of the new millennium The Abstract has suffer allot of label set backs with his sophomore album “Kammal The Abstract” not seeing the light of day except with an ultra rare full length promo that has circulated the internet for years. And with the announcement of “The Renaissance” allot of fans of A Tribe Called Quest rejoiced and couldn’t wait.

From the jump Q-Tip flips the light bulb on wit “Johnny is Dead”, “Won’t Trade” and “Getting’ Up” all set the vibe of the album up wit strong dope rhythms, beats and rhymes. For the most part I think Q-Tip flow is similar to Rakim “Ageless” and is proving time and time again that no matter what you’ve done in the past you can keep it moving “1nce Again” (similar to what A Tribe Called Quest did on Beats, Rhymes and Life album). I think Q-Tip found his niche and rolls through with it. Allot of the production tends to feel and come off very clean and well edited which Q-Tip doesn’t really deviate from that course. For the most part the whole album is done by Q-Tip and here’s where it’s interesting the lone other produced track is J. Dilla joint “Move” which uses The Jackson 5 “Dancing Machine” sample to the tee. The track is prolly the highlight of the album because it has such a tight loop and very hard but light enough drums to give the song a strong danceable kick that the clubs would love. And Q-Tip comes so flawless over a Jay Dee beat.

One of the more beautiful things is Q-Tip could have came off as a disgruntled emcee and say all the negative things about the current state of hip hop but he didn’t and I applaud him for that. Instead he gave praise on one of the smoothest tracks I’ve heard some spit over in a while on “Life is Better”. Thus this track gave love to cats like Ludacris and Nas but also gave love back to forgotten pioneers such as Schoolly D and Dana Dane.
    Overall Q-Tip goes in hard giving the album strong styling that few cats in the game can match better than he. I feel like this album brings him back to the light where giving him a rebirth. Regardless of how allot of people feel I think Q-Tip on the board does allot of what allot of older rap heads couldn’t dream of is instead of recreating his sound Q-Tip simple answer was updating it without any compromise. For most the album there isn’t a forgiving misstep to behold until maybe “Manwomenboogie” but other than that it’s so soulful, jazzy, electronic, hard, boom bap every hip hop adjective one could muster is what this album is sonically. I feel in some regards this album is more of a cross between “The Love Movement” rather than “The Low Dow Theory” but has the feel of Tribe’s debut album. I’m giving this album a 4.5 stars out of 5 because what Q-Tip does is such a strong effort that it’s amazing while most albums are so over saturated with guests and multiple producers theirs no cohesion what so ever and with slim amount of guests mostly all singers it’s dope to see someone think out side the box wit some dope messages rather than be just another cat trying to keep up wit the jones.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Veteran Member

Gettin Up is def a Dilla beat. Its a re sampled / re used beat from Dillas album Welcome 2 2etroit. Forget which song it is.

Gettin Up Isn't A Dilla Beat but Move is a Dilla beat

Veteran Member

Nope says so right here.....
    A Nov 5th Review of the album

Q-Tip is one of the most underrated artists in all of music. As the most prominent member of rap legends A Tribe Called Quest, Q-Tip has been in the music game for nearly two decades. Now Q-Tip is back with his second official solo album The Renaissance. Will The Renaissance finally solidify Q-Tip's place among the rap immortal?

The first single off of The Renaissance is the late J Dilla produced GETTIN' UP. The song is a breath of fresh air in today's urban music scene. The track features a sample of Black Ivory's hit You And I. The song features solid production and strong verses from Q-Tip. The song is one of the best hip hop tracks of 2008.

Life Is Better features Norah Jones. The song has an extremely different sound that takes a little bit of getting used to. Norah delivers a strong jazz vocal performance and by the end of the song; it all makes sense.

MARK RONSON produces WON'T TRADE. The song has the feel of previous Mark Ronson produced tracks and works well with Q-Tip's rhyme style. The minimalist beat allows Q-Tip to show off his verbal acrobatics.

We Fight/We Love features Raphael Saadiq the track is one of the standout tracks on the album. The song features very strong production and strong verses from Q-Tip. The Raphael Saadiq delivered chorus is also extremely strong.

The album opens with Johnny Is Dead. The track is fairly solid however it is not one of the strongest tracks on the album.

D'Angelo teams with Q-Tip on Believe. The song features another exceptional beat with its minimal chord changes and hard drum track. The song is further proof that Q-Tip is one of the most underrated rappers in the game.

You is yet another incredibly strong track that has a different vibe than most of the album. Q-Tip's flow fits effortlessly over the simple production.

Official features another strong beat and an interesting rhyme pattern delivery by Q-Tip. The song stands out and is definitely unique.

Manwomanboogie features Amanda Diva. The song just does not work well unlike most of the otherwise amazing album.

The album closes with Shaka. The song is very musical and well delivered by Q-Tip who finishes the album strong.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ew.html?cat=33

hmmmmmmmmmmm well alls i gotta say is maybe he did produced two tracks but the thing is if mark ronson produced it then why the liner notes give Q-Tip create then. i dunno

I think the production credits are like that because Q-tip was involved in producing everything but Move.

Although, i can't explain Gettin Up.

Anyway, cool album, i'll post a review later

Veteran Member

Shit even Ronson was in that video giving Tip his props posted in the Wu section prior to the album dropping

Yeah, he definitely produced the track, i'm just saying, Q Tip is credited because he had input into the production of everything bar Move.

Veteran Member

Had a spontaneous purchasing urge on Friday and got it for £9.99.

Haven't listened to it fully yet but I am looking forward to it, and the previews I've given myself sound very good so far.

But GOOD LORD is he nasal on Dance on Glass.

I thought that was someone doing a bloody parody of his nasalness there!

Dope.
    Break fast is served

YOUR KING OF WUTANGCORP. Tony Bandana's Avatar

huh Q Tip a underated artist in all of music. I never looked at it that way... guess cause i grew up on Tribe. And hip hop wasnt fully in the mainstream at that time. A Tribe Called Quest were just a very special group. Its funny I always found that the true heads always loved Tribe and the people that played the role or the wannabe mutherfuckers never gave them credit and didnt even know who they were?? . I remember when Low End Theory dropped Dre dropped Chronic. Lot of people around started to get into rap because of that record. Now everybodys acting hard and shit..its funny too me. Tribe is always a breath of fresh air till this day

Long Live Tribe
    Last edited by Tony Bandana; 11-13-2008 at 04:04 AM.
    ONGH!!!! SHIT STINK BIG GATORZ , MY DETROIT PLAYAZ ONGH!!!

WuTang is the Foundation smokebongoncliff's Avatar

What happend to Fever. that was a dilla beat. I was driving with my friend and listend to this album and i could have sworn i heard that beat on the cd. Is it on there or no? i bought the cd and it wasnt on there. i dont think.

Now yo yo, whattup yo, time is runnin out. It's for real though, let's connect politic - ditto. We could trade places, get lifted in the staircases. Word up, peace incarcerated scarfaces

Overall The Renaissance is great. Has a soulful sound from beginning to end, and you can tell this album was highly “Jay Dee” influenced. I would even have this over Q-Tip’s debut: Amplified. No skips. No average tracks. Only standouts and good songs.

Top 5: Official, You, We Fight/We Love, Life Is Better, Shaka (fav)

Grade: (4.5/5) A … one of the top three albums of the year

-

Fuck QTip, faggot ass bitch. I don't listen to his soft ass music. After Amplified album, i didn't wanna hear anything else from him solo.

Damn kid you need some prozac