Thread: New Tekitha Interview

Default New Tekitha Interview

spotlight:

Tekitha

Interview by A. Redd

The enigma of Tekitha is magnetizing. She’s kept the web world buzzing without one official single and her fan base is patiently waiting for her to finally get her solo spotlight. Tekitha hit the music scene more then a decade ago and though she may have played the background, she never left. She was blessed in the genesis of her career to sing vocals for Wu-Tang and their solo ventures. Insightful, witty, and the definition of real, Tekitha opened up and gave golden information about the workings of the music industry. Having learned the nature of the business and developed her skill to perfection, Tekitha is finally ready to show the world what she is made of and help other aspiring artist along the way.

TCM: How did you meet RZA and become their in house singer?

Tekitha: I never really called it that. It was more like I was working on some stuff and one of the executives heard it. He pretty much told me I needed to meet RZA and the rest of the execs because they had some things I could be featured on. It was really an unspoken thing. I started working and never stopped. And then I started working on my solo project a couple years after that. I’ve always been collecting products and working on my solo project, but in between there I would come through, fall in and do my part.
    There were other women but they didn’t stick around. They got a little sidetracked. But I was focused. And the funny part is it’s not even easier said then done. I’ve heard people say it’s probably easier said but when you’ve really committed yourself to something I don’t see anything that can come between you and that commitment. A man couldn’t stand in my way…I’m like what can you add to what I’m doing. Get out of the way of the microphone.

TCM: How long have you been in the music industry?

Tekitha: I recorded my first record in 1996 with Ghostface. That’s when I started. It was actually the same year I begin to sing. It wasn’t something that I pursued all my life; it just fell into my lap. Some executives approached me a few months after I made my decision. And I started from there. I’m really grateful for how I got my start because it shielded me from a lot of the BS. But it’s a catch 22. They protected me from a lot of the things I have to deal with now (the last couple of years). You know before then I never had to see it or deal with it at all. If I had dealt with it earlier I would have avoided some of these traps.

TCM: What surprises you the most about yourself?

Tekitha: Every song I do, I’m always reminded that this is a disc. And I’m surprised at myself. I sit down like “how did you do that?” I’m very aware that this is something that was put upon me. I don’t understand where it came from. I never sang in the choir or was craftily trained. I’m not sure why I’ve been chosen to do it but I’m with and I’ve been appreciative of it. And that’s why it keeps coming back to me.

TCM: What were some of your ups and downs with the industry?

Tekitha: The lack of focus and organization from the team around me was number one on the list. And I would also have to say me not taking enough interest in the business aspect. I had a great attorney. so I let her do everything. She kept me from getting robbed and as far as my paperwork was concerned, she took care of all the finer details. If I had taken a little more interest in it I could be further along in the game than I am now or even than I was then.

I’m glad I know what I know now. I can pass this information to the next woman and help her out. It really does take a lot of time. If I had known what I know now I would have asked a lot more question back then. As a woman in the industry I don’t think men have to deal with a lot of the same circumstances that women are. I don’t’ hear any of the big lady singers talking about what kind of encounters their having as a woman in the industry; whether it be the their financial team, business, etc. Not to gripe about it or to make a bitter scene, but it would be good to expose it and to pass the information around to help someone else avoid the pitfall.

TCM: I’ve listened to some of your songs and you’re unquestionably talented with a pen. Where do you get the inspiration to write your songs?

Tekitha: You’ll understand if you would hang with me for two days and see some of the funny things I see. And I live material. I really enjoy my life so I pull from all that and it’s an easy write. It comes freely and I don’t have to fight with myself.

TCM: If the writing aspect is easy, is recording it on the track the hard part?

Tekitha: No. Recording and performing is easy. The hard part is I have this done, what do I do now? I have record upon records. I’m a recording beast. But it’s just organizing the business behind it, finding people you can trust to help you facilitate and put the plan in action. That has been the challenging part, but it’s opening up now. I’m happy with the team around me.

TCM: What would you be doing if you weren’t a performing artist?

Tekitha: I would probably be doing something on the line of sports medicine because I was an athlete growing up. I have a passion for sports.

TCM: Where is the future for Tekitha?

Tekitha: I’m going to continue to raise my daughter and release this record and continue to build my web presence. And then I’m finally going to release my project worldwide. I’m really excited about this year, and next year, up until 3 years from now because a lot of people to see who I am and what I stand for and hear some great music! And see some great live shows.

TCM: Can you bless our readers with some words of wisdom?

Tekitha: Use your time wisely. And stay excited about your craft. Don’t let the music business overshadow your music. As an artist, that’s what you’re supposed to focus on. Also, keep people around you who can inform you about the business and learn what you need to learn. That way you won’t get blindsided later on.

Advertiser

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

^^ Nice interview!!

Propz...

P.E.A.C.E.

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

dope shit baby, good find
    We do it for the people.

nice

thanx J

She's really beautiful in every way

can't wait to hear "Wisdom Body" and see her performin' live again

PEACE

I really like her
    "Borough hopping, copping bricks, bags, burners and kicks City slickers, circling the strip, working them tricks"
    -Rebel INS the GREAT!!!