Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Milk-tronic

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Default Black Milk-tronic

You know when it comes to various producers that are also rappers some names come to mind Jay Dee, Kanye West, Dr. Dre, RZA and Black Milk. Now out of all the names I mentioned it’s not hard to say after his last album “Popular Demand” garnered him status he’s continued to blaze a trail for Detroit and the rest of the independent artists out there. With “Tronic” Black Milk expanded his sound to where it isn’t sample heavy and moved toward more instrumentation. And with songs like “Give the Drummer Sum” you see Black Milk’s progress as a producer and say wow. But what is a huge difference between “Popular Demand” is the fact that Black Milk’s rapping and the minimized features are something of rarity in this day and age of consistent collaborations among artists.
    Most of the album Black Milk carries it by himself wit sparces of collaborations such as Dwele on “Long Short Story” which is the opening of the album then to most likely the ill collaboration this year. Which happens to be “The Matrix” featuring DJ Premier, Pharoahe Monch, & Sean Price in which all the guest flips their rhymes so well over a beat that kills wit such a strong drum programming and Premo’s scratching just makes this “song of the year” to me. Other songs that have the strength and fully shows Black Milk’s progression as a producer and as a rapper is “Bounce”, “Losing Out” featuring Royce Da 5’9” and “Try”. These particular songs I think make that statement that independent artist’s can do it too without a million dollar recording budget.
    Now for allot of rappers/producers sometimes their albums come off brilliant with some replay value and others it’s too progressive and turns allot of fans off. But with Black Milk falls more in the middle of both because he’s shown and displayed he’s lyrically capable to spit on his own without any help at the same time his beats carry this album equally. And for all that measure I’ll say that overall this album isn’t a classic but it’s has album of the year written all over it. This album deserves a 4 out of 5 stars I think in 10 plus years this maybe be looked at as a classic until then enjoy this album.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Poll?

This is a great album, best 2008 album I heard so far. (Although AZ's was nice too).

He grew lyrically, stepped up his delivery game and his beats are still bangin', little different though.

Favorites are: Long Story Short, Bounce, Hold It Down, Losing Out.

4/5 to me.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

este sitio es una mierda drippie k's Avatar

one of my fav albums from last year although i kinda liked his first album a little more
    cash rules. still don't nothin move but the money

yeah his first album was way doper with the soul shit,but the more i listen to this album the more i like it.
    "losing out" is an insane track,cant stop playing it

fear is a sickness 17th chamber born's Avatar

Detroit Stand Up!!!
    7mile, Betta Mile!!!
    Eastside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sumptin' in da street went.....BANG BANG!

makin' it hard for you to do ya THANG THANG!!

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

dope album....love the joint with Sean P. i never heard his first album though, i started checkin for this cat after hearing his stuff on the Preface album.....ima have to go get that now

Love this is album. "The Matrix" with Sean P and Pharoahe Monch is an absolute BANGER, best track of of '08 in my opinion.

My only problem with this album is that the beats really take front stage, their loud, and instantly grab you, the only problem with that is that when theres one or two not so great ones, the tracks really suffer. Its not like say, on a mobb deep album with really sparce beats, coz you can hide an average beat under hard drums and bass, but thats not what Black Milk likes to do.

Either way, great album, one of the best from last year.

Suga Duga

very disappointed with this album.
    only track I like is Long Story Short which is absolutely fantastic.

6/10

^You dont like "The Matrix"? I forget the name of the first track, but you dont like that either?

fear is a sickness 17th chamber born's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    ^You dont like "The Matrix"? I forget the name of the first track, but you dont like that either?
    the first track is the one he said he does like.........."long story short"
    but the entire album is a banger for me......production is great.......lyrics are strong (for the most part)

fave tracks..:
    "LOSING OUT"!!!!!!!! (most underrated track of 2008!!!)
    "try"
    "reppin 4 u"
    "bond 4 life"
    "overdose"
    sumptin' in da street went.....BANG BANG!

makin' it hard for you to do ya THANG THANG!!

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

dope dope dope

losing out is FUCKING BANANAS...moms even likes that shit and she hates hip hop other than heavy d

Suga Duga

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    damn, I forgot that and loosing out. you right

Favorite album of 08 for me.

Bounce, Hold It Down, Losing Out, Overdose, Reppin for U, the matrix, Try.. all bangers

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

still a dope ass record i think black milk is a head of the curve wit his beats

Great album, an improved Black Milk on the lyrical and beat side, not a weak track on the album, sounds great on dope speakers.