Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Best GZA Line---

Quote Originally Posted by DThayer36 View Post
    This has always been one of my favorite GZA verses ^^^^^
    Goosebump material

yeah his "silverbacks" verse is fucking amazing.

I dont know if I could choose a favorite verse, but two of my favorite lines are from "killah hills 10304"

"He tried to smuggle half a key in his left leg/
    even underwent surgery/
    They said his pirate limp gave him away/
    as the Feds rushed 'em/
    coming through U.S. Customs"

"He set bombs in bottles of champagne/
    So when niggas popped the cork, niggas lost half their brain"

also

"Now look who's on the witness stand signing/
    a well-known soprano/
    a smash hit from Sammy Gravano"

is pretty funny.

a lot of coke rappers (who are so obviously not still selling drugs, if they ever were) could learn from GZA. instead of acting like you're still in "that life", use the same content, but just tell it as a dope story. Rae does the same thing.

Non Ignorant Math Team

'greeted by thunderstorm applause' thats a great line cuz if u think about it when u hear lots of people clapping it does sound like thunder which just creates so much imagery in very few words and a concise manner yet very creative. 2 many emcees think that u create imagery by using lots of adjectives or being very gory. what bullshit. 'thunderstorm applause' actually sounds like an idiom like 'heart of gold' or 'break a leg'. gr8 line from gr8 verse

NON-IGS

"Goliath cutting david's throat..."
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Veteran Member

"Restaurant's on a stake-out, so order the food for takeout
    chaos outside of Sparks' Steakhouse...

In the garment district got it sown like singers...
    ...now look who's on the witness stand singing
    a well known Soprano a smash hit from Sammy Gravano"

Non Ignorant Math Team

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    "Restaurant's on a stake-out, so order the food for takeout
    chaos outside of Sparks' Steakhouse...

In the garment district got it sown like singers...
    ...now look who's on the witness stand singing
    a well known Soprano a smash hit from Sammy Gravano"
    u also forgot smash hit. a song is called a hit when it does well in the charts.
    also that leads nicely on too the next lines which follows an american football theme.

A smash hit from Sammy Gravano
    here's the plan minimum for the hit , two hundred grand
    Half time at the game blastin niggaz out the stands
    The sharp-shooters hit the prosecutor, judges are sent

u can see the obvious ones like 'half time' 'stands' and 'game' but also ones like a 'smash hit' can b a big tackle (its call the way 'smash hit' fits both the singer and american football extended metaphors) and in american football i think a shooter is another name 4 a gunner.

NON-IGS

Sammy Gravano was a mobster/hitman and sharp-shooter is a reference to Basketball not Football but I see what you mean

Non Ignorant Math Team

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    Sammy Gravano was a mobster/hitman and sharp-shooter is a reference to Basketball not Football but I see what you mean
    ok thanks. sorry i dont much about american sports. i just looked at this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunner_(American_football) and it said 'In American football, a gunner, also known as a shooter or kamikaze' but i dont think 'smash hit' would work if its basketball cuz basketball is a non-contact sport.

NON-IGS

nonono. you're missing it. sammy the bull was a snitch. a rat. a stool pigeon. a canary. a singing bird. when someone gets caught by the police or the feds and snitches to get a better deal for themselves (like he did - he went into witness protection). so when someone tells all the gangsters' gangster business to the police or to the federal government, they say "he's singing to the feds" or whatever. singing = ratting or snitching

so on the witness stand in court, there's a "well-known soprano" high profile gangster turned state's (turning state's evidence = becoming a witness, giving testimony on behalf of the federal government against a criminal organization of which the "singer" was once a part) who is singing a "smash hit" by sammy gravano. so basically, the character in gza's story here is doing the same thing sammy 'the bull' gravano did. so this "singer" is "signing" one of sammy's "songs", get it?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    u also forgot smash hit. a song is called a hit when it does well in the charts.
    also that leads nicely on too the next lines which follows an american football theme.

A smash hit from Sammy Gravano
    here's the plan minimum for the hit , two hundred grand
    Half time at the game blastin niggaz out the stands
    The sharp-shooters hit the prosecutor, judges are sent

u can see the obvious ones like 'half time' 'stands' and 'game' but also ones like a 'smash hit' can b a big tackle (its call the way 'smash hit' fits both the singer and american football extended metaphors) and in american football i think a shooter is another name 4 a gunner.
    nice. I've been trying to compile a list of songs from the gza where he uses extended metaphors or a multiple allusions (like labels, publicity, breaker breaker). Does anybody know on how many songs he does this?

Non Ignorant Math Team

nice. I've been trying to compile a list of songs from the gza where he uses extended metaphors or a multiple allusions (like labels, publicity, breaker breaker). Does anybody know on how many songs he does this?
    since u mentioned breaker breaker do u mean any extended metaphor. cuz that would just b about every song. hes got a baseball metaphor at the end of i gotcha back. his whole verse in investigative reports is an allegory. he has extended metaphors in every song pretty much

NON-IGS

Veteran Member

Investigative reports would be a good one to look at. Also mic trippin, amplified sample.

on one interview RZA says something like, 'before Eminem came out with that Stan shit, GZA dropped Labels..' saying that concept was rooted already...

Investigative reports would be a good one to look at. Also mic trippin, amplified sample.
    I don't get 80% of Amplified Sample, the only GZA track that I can't really find the double entendre or some other very clever shit. It's a very weird verse, since his new album is about space this is kind of funny..

"You remain stuck tryin to figure the shape of space" let's see how he does it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tekunique View Post
    on one interview RZA says something like, 'before Eminem came out with that Stan shit, GZA dropped Labels..' saying that concept was rooted already...
    The Stan concept is totally different. TF he's talkin' about?