38 16.38%
  • mediocre

8 3.45%
  • wack

4 1.72%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wu-Tang Clan - The W

Default Re: Wu-Tang Clan - The W

Disappointing album + I hate the fact they released only 13 tracks just to have enough song to call that an album ... Careful and the jump off are classics though ... (I prefer much more I can't go to sleep with the live instrumental than the one that has been chosen for the album)
    F.L.I.N.T.

this album is dope as hell how's anyone sleepin on it

careful (click click)-just hardcore rap at its finest

hollow bones-1 of my favorite beats ever inspectah is ill...cops fill reports hopin i reveal my scource.....scource-luv that endin to his verse....rakwon was just as good...but not to take anything away from g-face

i can't go to sleep-deep track superb beat by hayes...i would say more about the track but it'd be too long

jah world-another track like i can't go to sleep and just as good

gravel pit-a damn good song not the best but it's still ill

chamber music-good beat good lyrics good hyped up feel to it

the monument-pretty good not the best but sumthin you'd stop to listen to

and these are my favorites...there;s only 1 or 2 songs i dont like that much....the rest are wu-worthy

afriKan kiLLa B

AHh this is the thread im talking about here - one dedicated to THE BEST Wu ALBUM TODAY. Man, i was a hater of this album when it first came out, the Gravel Pit had the wrong people going out and buying the album just for that track-i wonder how these fickle mindz work- but anyway after rotation of the Gravel Pit & Protect ya neck ended with no said date i felt i had to hear out this album. In my opinion the Wu has never been on a razor sharp point collectively as they came out on The W...ummm just mentioning this album makes me loose composure,man,..this album is FUCKING TIGHT & UNDERATED. All but one of RZA production show me how versatile the God is when it come to production.

With The W he (RZA) focused more on a bass/percusion sequence where Forever it was more of a metronome/keyboard shit and NONE OF THE ALBUMS FOCUSES WHERE POINTLESS. Chamber Music is crazy as u can TRULY feel-EVERYONE FORMS INTO THEIR OWN ENVIRONMENT- just shows that the whole clan were there seeing The W become a treasure. Click Clicks percusion,Ghosts,Cappa's Ugods & Ins' verse over that RZA percusion slays heads. RZA's crazy production on Redbull is unheard of; just unfathomable. I dont want to reveal what is seen when listening to every track coz we all need our space for words BUT; JAH WORLD & ONE BLOOD UNDER WU are true bass culture Jah Ganja Rastafari shit that makes me ALWAYS have to listen to them blessed. Rza should team up with some Rasta'z and make tracks with the rest of the clan coz no-one, NO-ONE can fuck with RZA's style in that way. 14/10 for The W which really did come back in the form of a Comet; respeckt opinions and understand where this album stands: No1, Forever No2, Enter 36 No3 iron flag obvious. But Damn RZA's production/percusion in the beginning of Monument with Busta chanting bus hiphop heads Johhny Cage style - peace
    SomeTimey

1.Intro - 5/5
    2.Careful - 5/5
    3.Hollow Bones - 4.5/5
    4.Redbull - 5/5
    5.One Blood Under W - 4.5/5
    6.Conditioner - 3.5/5
    7.Protect Ya Neck - 5/5
    8.Let My Niggas Live - 5/5
    9.I Cant Go To Sleep - 5/5
    10.Do You Really - 5/5
    11.The Monument - 5/5
    12.Gravel Pit - 5/5
    13.Jah World - 4.5/5
    Last edited by Rebel_INS; 11-23-2006 at 05:20 AM.

Formerly Arsehole

9/10 for beats, 7.5/10 for lyrics. 8/10 overall. Some of the lyrics seem pretty average to me but also some really nice stuff on there. The beats were mostly great, except I thought Do You Really was sorta weak. Conditioner was really average lyrically and beatwise, and I hate Snoop's verse. I didn't like all the verses on Careful, or Protect Ya Neck, but Careful had an awesome beat.
    Redbull and I Can't Go to Sleep are lovely, 2 of the best Wu tracks ever heard. Let My N****s Live is nice, Monument is butter too.

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

As the face of hip hop began to change in the mid to early 90's many rappers were trying to change with it. In particular these changing artists were the ones who would have previously been the more street/inderground/real or whatever its called type of rapper. What we had by the year 2000 was alot of confused albums - confused in the sense that the same rapper was trying to be a player, drug dealer, socially conscious etc on the same cd - the results were that a very disoriented cd. So in step the Wu with their offering the W. This cd simultaneously attempts to go back to the 36 chambers while collecting a whole new group of fans. The cd itself is one of the few to date that have successfully blended commercial, political, gangter related and street hustler type topics into one cd. Unlike many others who have tried this Rza clearly lays out a cd that goes from gun slinging tales to vivid story telling onto commercial joints and offcourse just good old wu tang style rapping. Below is my track by track review:

01 : Intro (Shaolin Finger Jab)/Chamber Music (4/5) A nice way to start the album. Everything you would expect from a Wu Track is here
    02 : Careful (Click, Click) (4/5) The beat compliments the lyrics perfectly and has that feel to it where everything blends in perfectly. Again some good verses here and Ghost has an insane verse here
    03 : Hollow Bones (5/5) Quite simply amazing. The beat has a clostrophobic feel to it and you really have to listen to Deck and Rae deliver immaculate verses.
    04 : Redbull ft. Redman (4/5) I find this beat very interesting. Is it possible for an emcee to rhyme so effortlessly over this type of a beat? Well Meth and Red have no problem. This is a suprisingly addictive track.
    05 : One Blood Under W ft. Junior Reid (5/5) Masta Killa has no problems holding down a solo track.
    06 : Conditioner ft. Snoop Dogg (4/5) I can't quite put my finger on it. Why is this track amazing? I don't seem to regard the lyrics too highly and the beat is weird. But I can't stop listening to it.
    07 : Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off) (4/5) We have all the clansmen back on a track. The track is slightly more up beat than most other tracks with all 9 members on it. I always have to rewind ghosts verse on this one.
    08 : Let My Niggas Live ft. Nas (5/5) Raekwon and Nas on the same track. How could it not be amazing. The beat is very slow and so is the track but it seems to fit the style of rap good. I think Nas deserves alot of respect for holding his own on this track.
    09 : I Can't Go To Sleep ft. Isaac Hayes (5/5) Just plain amazing. The track has a vibe, the lyrics have a vibe but unlike alot of other tracks the voice actually has a vibe too.
    10 : Do You Really (Thang, Thang) (3/5) This track is good but it kind of hits a dead end on this particular cd.
    11 : The Monument ft. Busta Rhymes (4/5) Now the beat for this track is amazing. It changes for each rapper. I wish Busta wasn't on it though cuz he is pritty avaerage TBH. Rae does good for his part but Gza absolutely smashes this track too parts.
    12 : Gravel Pit (4/5) - A fresh type commercial track. Nice beat and 3 nice emcees on it.
    13 : Jah World ft. Junior Reid (5/5)/ Hand Clap (Bonus) (3.5/5) I have given both tracks a seperate rating as Jah World is miles ahead of Hand Clap. Now Jah world is another amazing delivery from Ghost. Again the beat and lyrics are matched to perfection. Hand clap is a nice track in its own right but it just seems out of place to me at the end of the album. It just doesn't seem like the perfect way to end an album.

Conclusion - This album recieved mixed reviews but I think its a very good album. It doesn't match their two previous outings and niether does it really venture into the unknow like the last two album. But at the end of the day music is music and if Wu want to add an extension onto their catalogue rather than make something new then I'm not complaining. This album is all about the art of creation - its easy to make tracks but not so easy to put them on a cd and make it listenable. Gravelpit on Forever would be garbage but on the the W its a good track cuz Rza got the whole vibe correct. Rza has a proven record of underground related releases and here he shows he knows how to make a mainstream directed album.
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

loved this album from the first time i heard it. only song i might skip on a bad day is conditioner. best beats of the four clan albums but the worst lyrics of the four.

top 3 best produced wu album IMO.

36 chambers 2000
    Last edited by THE W; 02-05-2007 at 07:46 PM.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

chamber music - 4.5/5... four great (especially gza and mk)verses over a great beat...
    careful - 4/5... very dark, like it alot... u-god and ins rule this one...
    hollow bones - 4/5... great beat, great verses, especially by ins...
    redbull - 3.5/5... redman and ins are all over this awesome beat... ruined by the hook...
    one blood under w - 3.5/5... track maybe a bit too long for its type...
    conditioner - 3/5... harmless... but hardly amazing on any front...
    protect ya neck - 4/5... beat change up is awesome... u-god and gza all over this...
    let my niggaz live - 4.5/5... rae, nas and especially ins further enhance their reputations here...
    i can't go to sleep - 3.5/5... nice touch using isaac hayes... probably better in theory than in execution though...
    do u really - 4/5... kay slay intro and the chorus detract a bit... street starts it off strong and the other three keep it going...
    the monument - 4/5... slightly out of place, but the beat change up is great... rza finds a nice way to blend busta and gza on a track... raekwon steals the show though...
    gravel pit - 4/5... u-god steals the show again...
    jah world - 3.5/5... jr reid and the beat are awesome...
    clap - 3/5... could have easily been left off... seems out of place...

Chamber Music - 4.5
    Careful - 5
    Hollow Bones - 3.5 (sorry, that wailing is annoying)
    Red Bull - 3.5 (This beat is amatuer, espically for RZA)
    One Blood Under W - 4 (SHUT THE FUCK UP JUNIOR REED)
    MC Conditioner - 2
    PYN the Jumpoff - 4 (After the beat changes, this really loses steam)
    Let My Niggas Live - 4
    I Can't Go to Sleep - 5 (Classic)
    Do You Really (Thang, Thang) - 5 (lovin this beat)
    The Monument - 3.5
    Gravel Pit - 5
    Jah World - 4.5 (loses its novelty 2nd time around, and STFU Junior Reed)
    Clap - 1 (fuckin pathetic)

Overall 4/5, my least favorite Clan album.

Chamber Music -8/10 - Nice Opener
    Careful -9/10 - Beat is too hard to resist
    Hollow Bones -10/10- one of my favourite wu songs
    Redbull -8/10 - Its just a hobby that i picked up in the lobby
    One Blood -8/10 - Why the hate on JR.Reid?
    Conditioner -6.5/10- Skippable
    Protect Ya Neck - 9/10 - GZAs verse is tight
    Let My Niggaz Live -8.5/10
    I Cant Go To Sleep -9/10
    Thang Thang - 7/10 - dont like it much but its ok, i sometimes skip
    Monument -8/10- I like this song, it gets more hate than it should
    Gravel Pit -9/10- too hated on
    Jah World -10/10- 2nd favourite on the album
    Clap -6/10- Should have been left off

Overall: 8/10

the album gets hated on too much I can listen to it front to back and thats good enough for me

greatest album in music history

not reviewable

it gets a 0 out of 0
    all the points have been made

The problem with this album was, it didn't sound like Clan LP. More like badly drawn Clan compilation mixed with sum guest appareances. RZA, I admire you greatly, but what in the flying fuck were you smokin' when you got Snoop to get on that album? Snoop of all people? I do like Snoop tho, but he has no fucking bussiness on a Clan album. And that fuck even gave you a bad verse? Come on now! Geezz, am still kinda mad on that. Who knew? I had to get that out. *Release*

The W has sum great moments; Hollow Bones, Chamber Music, The Jump Off, I can't go to sleep, One Blood, Do You Really, Let my niggaz live, Redbull, Jah World & Gravel Pit. Yes, alott! It just the bad moment totally bring the album off balace which is darn shame. Thank god they got it (almost) right on Iron Flag

My least favorite clan LP. Not bad or wack like sum fucks are classifying it this days, but just not that great. Far above average and remote from greatness.

VDB: The Wu-Tang Mountain
    a/k/a the wolves who made a widow out of grandpa

nada ignorante

lovely album why are people bitchin' about the guest appearences?? Nas and Busta were nice on this album, i've had the most fun smokin' my blunt and listening to this album in my ride.

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

I really liked the flow of this album and the direction only thing that threw it of for me was snoop dogg and busta. The song on the end of MC Conditioner made up for the wackness of that song. Careful (click click) is one of my favourite Wu songs. I am more than happy with this album 8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

cant understand people always hates on Gravel Pit.. ye its commercial, but the 3 verses are fucking crazy.. and the beat is so ill too.. maybe the chorus is pretty commercial but i dont care.. it was a crazy song imo

just read meth's verse, that was straight insane:

"Ha, holocaust from the land of the lost
    Behold the pale horse, off course (off course)
    Follow me, Wu-Tang gotta be
    The best thing since Starks and Clark Wallabees
    African killer bees blackwatch
    On your radio, blowin out yo' watts
    From Park Hill, the house on haunted hill
    Every time you walk by your back get a chill
    Let's peel, who want to talk rap skills
    I spit like a semi-automatic to the grill
    Elbow grease, and elbow room
    Baby play me, baby fall down, go boom, BOOM!
    Party people gather round, count down to apocalypse [3, 2, 1...]

[U-God]
    I'm the kid with the golden arms

[Meth]
    And I'm the motherfuckin hott nikks [AAAAH!] pass the blunt
    My nigga don't front
    You had it for a minute but it seem like a month
    Now I'm chokin, smokin, hopin
    I don't croakin, from overdosin...
    Hey kid, [walk straight as a I...]
    Wu and Meth got you open (open), let's ride
    Can't stand niggas that floss too much
    Can't stand Bentleys they cost too much
    Kid wanna get up then kid get touched
    Kid wanna stick up then kid get stuck
    I'm the one that called your bluff
    When your boy tried to act tough...
    Remember what Old Dirty said, I'll fuck yo' ass up!
    Now listen"