Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Commercial/Maintstream Rappers Got More Skills than "Underground" Rappers

Close thread.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Not a bad idea at all.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

i don't prefer mainstream over underground, but i do get annoyed at all the underground purists who think if you're rapping about being rich and on a big label that you can't be just as good. its just a matter of opinion. i prefer mainstream rappers' subject matter like getting money, murder, having fun on the mic, rapping about girls. But I respect alot of underground guys for being very creative, having non-commerical messages and going against the grain. But that doesn't equal better to me. Most people I know hate me for not feeling MF Doom or Aesop. But I don't dig on Jay-Z either.

Favorite MCs RIGHT NOW:
    Cam'ron
    Cassidy
    Juelz Santana
    Ol' Dirty Bastard
    Ghostface
    RZA
    Busdriver
    oldschool Warcloud/Holocaust (none of this Robot Tank stuff)
    Kool Keith
    Cannibal Ox
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

^Yeah you got it. Those are similar to my favs aswell.

Dont worry about these few crazy cats on here, they all trippin over each other, it is amusing though, when someone who is so sure they are right, is obviously wrong. But dont forget youre talking to 15 yr old Serbian kid, I mean how much can we expect someone like that to know about hip hop anyway?

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post

But dont forget youre talking to 15 yr old Serbian kid, I mean how much can we expect someone like that to know about hip hop anyway?
    You just proved how much of an idiot you really are...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    WTF r we supposed to do? i 100% disagree with ur opinion, and i have my opinion...but ur pretty much saying im wrong....should i become a Skin Head like you? arent u a part of the Aryan Brotherhood? WTF r u doing listening to Jadakiss? ELOELS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED;1438452Dont worry about these few crazy cats on here, they all trippin over each other, it is amusing though, when someone [COLOR=red
    who is so sure they are right, is obviously wrong[/COLOR]. But dont forget youre talking to 15 yr old Serbian kid, I mean how much can we expect someone like that to know about hip hop anyway?

YOUR KING OF WUTANGCORP. Tony Bandana's Avatar

Yo Ghost you Serbian you Weezy Ball Washin Muddafuckka ?

ONGH

haha
    ONGH!!!! SHIT STINK BIG GATORZ , MY DETROIT PLAYAZ ONGH!!!

'Section 9'

Hahaha, what is stopping me from knowing better hip hop than D-Black?

Age? Nah.
    Nationality? Nah, duh Internet is a miracle
    Color? Nah.

My white Serbian 15-year-old mentality keeps me on point for my 4-digit salary.

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

^lol
    We do it for the people.

"Dawnin' On A New Day..." AK Spray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post

^BET freestyle cipher, ALL of em spit fucking flames, Ace, Juelz, Fab, Jada all proving why they are so popular, because theyre dope. So shut up. Freestylin is easy to these guys, and they just shitted on 100000 underground heads who live on freestyling

I dont know why theres this myth thats floated around by backpackers that somehow the rappers they listen to have more "skills" on the mic than mainstream high selling rappers. The best most best and interesting rappers are always normally the best selling -

-Wu Tang (when they were at their lyrical peak they were going platinum)
    -Jay Z (best rapper alive and the guy that all backpack rappers try to copy style)
    -Outkast
    -Cam'ron
    -2pac
    -Biggie
    -Beasties
    -Lil Wayne (BET 2008 lyricist of the year, and 8 time grammy nominee)
    -Kanye
    -DMX
    -Fabolous
    -Snoop Dogg
    -Eminem
    -Mobb Deep (these grimy ass niggas were selling millions of fuckign records in the 90's, mainly because P was so insane on the mic)
    -Ludacris

et etc these are all the biggest selling rappers who are certified 'mainstream' and often have songs in the top 100. They are all charismatic people, able to put solid rhythemic flow into songs. Look at some of these mainstream rappers appearnces on "Pop" songs, like Beyonce's "crazy in love", (or Luda on Ushers "Yeah"), Jigga murked that verse, NO backpack rapper could ever spit a verse with that style, bounce, rhythem, IF THEY COULD, then they would, no one LIKES to be broke. And when they say things like "oh we just stay poor because we love the art form of hip hop, if we wanted to get rich, we could, easily"

Ya right!!

Wack rappers dont sell.

Simple as that.

Soulja Boys new album just FLOPPED, you know why? Cus hes wack!

Gangstarr, a typical underground group, dont sell records, because Guru isnt a particulary intresting or great rapper.

And dont even try and tell me Kanye cant rap. Your way off point with that, thats another myth thats been created, Kanye's style is being copied more than Jigga's style right now. All the new indie hipster rappers are all biting Kanye's style (badly), Kanye is the most underrated MC, hes puts everyting into all his verses, theyre clever, witty, emotional, lyrical. Most people are jaelous of Kanye, I never seen a man hated on in all my life than that guy.

I agree with you 100 PERCENT... Except for the Gang Star comment.... Becuase back then some MC's had the POTENTIAL for Large Commercial success, but didn't wanna make the moves to do so.. becasue they didn't wanna make that kinda music. Which is all fine and respectable.

What's wrong with UNDERGROUND rap TODAY... Is everybody wants to recreate a sound that's IMPOSSIBLE to recreate... The last producer I've heard that made that old WARM vinyl-esque type sound.. was DILLA. Straight up.

Now some dues is gonna say "HOW YOU NO LIKE (insert underground mc)?????!!!"

And I love some of this underground shit.. like MF Doom. But, MF Doom couldn't RECORD a Hit single, like GL said.... He could prolly write one, tho.

"Dawnin' On A New Day..." AK Spray's Avatar

I'M TIRED OF PPL SAYING ONE MC is LYRICALLY SUPERIOR to ANOTHER... Without Mentioning ANYTHING Else.

James Lipton is VERY ELOQUENT with his words... and could probably write the ILLEST... Most gangsterest raps... EVER...

But, that don't mean when he spit 'em, the shit gon' sound HOT!!!

Words hold NO WEIGHT unless you know how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Spray View Post
    I agree with you 100 PERCENT... Except for the Gang Star comment.... Becuase back then some MC's had the POTENTIAL for Large Commercial success, but didn't wanna make the moves to do so.. becasue they didn't wanna make that kinda music. Which is all fine and respectable.

What's wrong with UNDERGROUND rap TODAY... Is everybody wants to recreate a sound that's IMPOSSIBLE to recreate... The last producer I've heard that made that old WARM vinyl-esque type sound.. was DILLA. Straight up.

Now some dues is gonna say "HOW YOU NO LIKE (insert underground mc)?????!!!"

And I love some of this underground shit.. like MF Doom. But, MF Doom couldn't RECORD a Hit single, like GL said.... He could prolly write one, tho.
    Exactly, theyre on a road to no where. They are copying. They are a parody only. They are simply there own genre of sad people reminiscing poorly of a time they liked. But its poor imitation.

Id compare the quality of most underground rap these days to a 70's rock cover band. Or somebody who plays guitar hero. Or one of those air guitar competitions.

Theyre all wishing, but they can never really do that.

And not only that, theyre view of what hip hop 'is' is screwed up. They are ignorant of hip hops party roots, fun styled rhytmes or simply choose to ignore it. They think hip hop really started in 1993. They try to push theyre beleif that hip hop rapping is 'supposed' to be about 'intelligent' lyricism. But its not even intelligent anyway. Its pseudo.

Its cute though. I think we all have been through that stage of hip hop in our lives. I have. But eventually as you mature and hopefully get smarter you grow out of relying on hip hop to make you feel smart. When I look back on some of the hip hop i used to listen to for a stage in my teens I cant believe that I found it that interesting. Oh well.

'Section 9'

Quote Originally Posted by AK Spray View Post
    I'M TIRED OF PPL SAYING ONE MC is LYRICALLY SUPERIOR to ANOTHER... Without Mentioning ANYTHING Else.

James Lipton is VERY ELOQUENT with his words... and could probably write the ILLEST... Most gangsterest raps... EVER...

But, that don't mean when he spit 'em, the shit gon' sound HOT!!!

Words hold NO WEIGHT unless you know how to use them.

You're basically saying you're listening to hip hop just to hear some guys spit something HOT, even if it's nonsense? Describe HOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzah View Post
    You're basically saying you're listening to hip hop just to hear some guys spit something HOT, even if it's nonsense? Describe HOT.

^wtf you talking about u lil goonie goo goo bitch. You listen to nothing else than hip hop I bet.

Your opinion means nothing. You know nothing. You think you are a better rapper than Prodigy, an 90's NY legend. You. You said that. You said it being serious. You repeated that over several posts. And you explained how lyrically you are superior.

And then when I came in the thread and started posting Prodigy verses (which you obviously had never heard cus youre a faggleshrimp) you pretended you werent being totally serious to try to save face. I bet you sound worse than a pig muching on his own shit.

You know nothing. You opinion card has been revoked.

NOTH-ING.

Yet you THINK you know more than anyone who has ever posted. You are an arrogant smart ass twat basically who clearly gets his lunch money shoved up his ass everyday at farm school.

In fact I bet you are home-schooled. ahahahah actually yes I bet you got bullied out of school thats why you can spend so much time on Wu Corp everyday. You think a name like "Edgar Allen Flow" is smart and clever. Because you think no one knows who edgar allen poe is. You even said to me "if you knew what edgar allen flow was based on you would understand". Fagglepop everyone got it, no one thought it was cool, its corny, LIKE YOU, hes a corny rapper for corny people. Now go back and tend to your cheesplants, theyre getting a lil dry.

BONG

Last edited by Ghost In The 'Lac; 01-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.

'Section 9'

GHOSTLACED This message is hidden because GHOSTLACED is on your ignore list.

I bet it's something about me being a fag, a backpacking Slovak?

There's probably some mention of me being better than Prodigy, right?