• Weak

6 8.00%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Rza Presents - Afro Samurai Resurrection

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Default The Rza Presents - Afro Samurai Resurrection

1. Combat (Afro Season II Open Theme)-The RZA & P. Dot
    2. You Already Know-Kool G Rap, Inspectah Deck & Suga Bang
    3. Blood Thicker Than Mud Family Affair-Reverend William Burks, Sly Stone & Stone Mecca
    4. Whar-Kool G Rap, Ghostface Killah, Tash Mahogany & The RZA
    5. Girl Samurai Lullaby-Rah Digga & Stone Mecca
    6. Fight For You-Thea Van Seijen
    7. Bitch Gonna Get Ya-Rah Digga
    8. Bloody Days Bloody Nights- Prodigal Sunn &Thea Van Seijen
    9. Kill Kill Kill-Rugged Monk
    10. Nappy Afro-Boy Jones
    11. Bloody Samurai-Black Knights, Dexter Wiggles & Thea Van Seijen
    12. Dead Birds-Killa Priest, Prodigal Sunn & Shavo
    13. Arch Nemesis-Ace & Moe Rock
    14. Brother's Keeper-Reverend William Burks, The RZA & Infinite
    15. Yellow Jackets-Ace & Moe Rock
    16. Take The Sword Part III-60 Second Assassin, Leggezin, Crisis, Christ Bearer, Rugged Monk, Tre Irie, Kinetic, Reverend William Burks & Bobby Digital
    17. Number One Samurai (Afro Season II Outro)-The RZA & 9th Prince

1. Combat ( Rza Featuring P.Dot)
    This is a pretty dope intro by Rza. This is better than the first intro without a doubt. P.Dot on the hook is a definite plus on this one. The beat is rugged which fits with the theme of the movie which I find pretty nice. I think Rza is starting to get better with the new sounds he's using on his recent material. Overall a pretty good track 3.5/5

2. You Already Know (Kool G Rap, Inspectah Deck & Suga Bang Bang)
    This is a pretty good beat. The claps add that extra "umph" to the beat. I like how Rza did this one. Good to hear Kool G rap on the mic, he proves that he still can come solid on the mic. The hook is kind of suspect, Suga usually does not sound like this. Rza probably told him to go in on this one. Sadly Inspectah Deck doesn't come as hard as any of you Wu-Fans thought he would. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't all that great either. My favorite line from him in this one was the closing line. 4/5

3.Blood Thicker Than Mud (Reverend William Burk)

This guy needs a solo album, I hope Rza doesn't let this guys talent go to waste just doing guest features. I'm loving the beat on this one. Rev. Burke is definitely sharp on this one. This song sounds even better when you are watching the film. 4/5

4.Whar (Ghostface Killah Featuring Kool G rap, Rza & Tash Mohagany)
    I like the fact that Rza reloops our favorite Killa Bee shoutout intros but that's about it. I feel bored when listening to this track. On top of that everyone came OK on the mic. Kool G is solid, but I wa expecting Ghostface Kilah to steal the show but he just came ok on here as well. The R&B Hook is pretty good for once. Rza is ok on here. I was kind of let down by this all star line up. 3.5/5

5.Girl Samurai Lullaby (Rah Digga Featuring Stone Mecca)
    This is another one of the joints that sounds better when you hear it in the film. Rah Digga definitely brings it on this one no doubt, but if your trying just to sit and listen your ready to turn this one off. Beat is pretty smooth and if you listen she does a good job portraying SIO. 3.5/5

6.Fight For You (Thea)
    I can't get through this track at all, Thea is just not good in my books. I hate when this track comes on in the film, it just kills my vibe. Nothing else to say. 2/5

7.Bitch Gonna Get Ya (Rah Digga)
    This is a nice beat by Rza, sounds like a mixture between grimey and clean music. Rah Digga comes harder on this track than on her previous track. She has alot of lines in this one aswell. Pretty solid. 4/5

8.Bloody Days Bloody Nights (Prodigal Sunn Featuring Thea)

I'm not really into this one like that. I'm feeling Prodigal Sunn on here, he goes in with the storyline well. Thea is on the track which is already a -1 in my book. The music is ok, nothing too great, I can't really describe what this one sounds like. The song is only 1 min. and some change anyways. 3.5/5

9.Kill Kill Kill (Rugged Monk)

The "Kill Kill Kill" sounds weak on this track. I think they could've came up with a better hook on this one. Besides that, the beat is pretty good when it drops, I'm feeling the bass on it alot. I also have to give credit to Monk, he actually raps about a different topic for once. Every time I hear a verse from him they all sound the same. With this one he goes in on here You can picture Afro on his verse very clear. 3.5/5

10.Nappy Afro (Boy Jones)
    This doesn't even sound like a Hip-Hop beat IMO. It was still pretty good though (The Beat). Boy Jones sounds wack as hell on the mic, his lyrics are all over the place, it sounds like he took lines from 8 different verses and just mixed them up. I'm not feeling this one. 2/5

11.Bloody Samurai (Black Knights, Dexter Wiggles & Thea)

This beat is undeniably hot. Rza definitely came through with a nice looped beat, Proving he still has some gems left around. Thea is on the track which just kills the vibe on the track. She really needs to go somewhere. Crisis opens this joint up real nice, He has the best verse on this whole track. Monk raps about the same shit again, but it sounds good over a beat like this so I won't even complain. Dexter Wiggles needs to step away from the mic aswell as Rza projects. His verse was definitely not needed on this joint. Besides all of that this is a banger. 4/5

12.Dead Birds (Killah Priest Featuring Prodigal Sunn & Shavo)

I wasn't feeling this track at all, but I heard this during the fight scene with Afro and those 3 bad guys and it sounded REAL good. I gave this track another try, Priest is definitely great on here and P-Sunn adds that extra flavor on here. Shavo came through on here with that Guitar that shit sounds raw and just hypes up this track more. I'm glad I gave this track another shot. 4/5

13.Arch Nemesis (Ace & Moe Roc)

This beat is real nice and grimey, well not really grimey but it has a nice feel to it. The sound effects on this beat are pretty hot too. Never heard of Ace & Moe Roc until now, but the definitely did their thing on this track. This is a standout for me. This is one of my favorites on this whole album, the next track they did was hot too. 4/5

14.Brother's Keeper (Rza Featuring Reverend William Burk & Infinite)
    This is another one of the tracks that sounds better in the film. We all know Rev. Burke delivers on this one, Rza wasn't all that great on here though. I'm feeling the hook on here though, great job on that part. This is a real track though, I feel this one, it really sounds great during the scene it used in. 3.5/5

15.Yellow Jackets (Ace & Moe Roc)

I'm definitely feeling this joint right here, these guys are pretty good. The beat is pretty good and smooth enough to spit on, that Beez sound in the back is pretty dope too. They go in on this one, I hope to hear more from these guys on future Rza projects. 4/5

16.Take the Sword Pt. 3 (Rza Featuring 60 Second Assassin, ChristBearer, Crisis, Kinetic, Leggezin, Reverend William Burk, Rugged Monk & Tré Irie)

This a nice beat for 10 minutes, that was the only thing I was worried about. I blast this when lifting weights alot lol. 60 Sec. Assassin sounds pretty good on here, I hope he delivers even better on his first solo LP. I think the second guy is Leggezin??? I don't even know what this nigga is spitting on the mic...........Crisis is cool on here, Monk is rapping about the same thing lol. Christ Bearer sounds real different on this joint right here, I could only tell who he was by his style on here pretty dope though, Beretta 9 gets better everytime I hear him on the mic, Tre Irie was ok nothing really to special, Rza was pretty cool on here too. Overall This is pretty solid for a 10 Min. Cut. 4/5

17.Number One Samurai (Rza Featuring 9th Prince)

Same beat found on The P-Sunn album, but we all knew that already. Anyways, I'm feeling this one right here, the hook could've been better though. More importantly I was antcipiating 9th Prince verse lol, He still kind of Rusty but he came nice on here, he sounds rugged on this "Spit on the cross, choke the reverend, fuck it I'mma kill the priest" LOL he came nice on this joint. 3.5/5

Pros: I think Rza is really starting to develop his new style even more, the beats still aren't all that great but you can tell he's improving I'll give him that. The Mc's that are featured on this project really bring energy for the most part. I'm gonna give the MVP to Ace & Moe Roc for their hot tracks.

Cons: Thea, some beats are boring on here, some beats just sound good on the film. Most importantly there is that many standout joints on here. Rza needs to work on that.

Lyrics : 4/5
    Beats : 3.5/5
    Overall : 3.5/5
    Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 02-14-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Bumping this as we speak and I have mixed feelings on it, a few tracks has been pure brilliance that i'll probably consider classics in a couple of years ("Whar", "Bloody Samurai"), some has been ok and some are just wack. This is definitely a very experimental project filled with many musical styles and alternative sounds and since i spent the last months listening almost exclusively to boom-bap hip-hop this is pretty much to stomach right now lol... I'll do a track-by-track review soon, at the moment i can only say that it isn't what i had hoped for.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

some very dope tracks but there are some whack ones too. I fuckin hate thea

^^ co-sign, those short interludes-type track with her voices fucking made my ears bleed lol.. but I gotta say on the song "Bloody Samurai" her vocals took the song to the next level imo, that's one of the rare examples where it actually works - she only had background vocals like a sample (as on "Try Ya Ya Ya") though.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I'll listen to it when they release it.

I didn't like the last few RZA tracks but I hope this is better.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Combat
    You already know
    blood thicker than mud
    whar
    girl samurai lullaby
    a bitch is gonna get cha
    kill kill kill
    DEAD BIRDS

are my favorites so far

the rip that i got off the net is missing take sword 3
    Christianity = White Supremacy

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMH View Post
    Combat
    You already know
    blood thicker than mud
    whar
    girl samurai lullaby
    a bitch is gonna get cha
    kill kill kill
    DEAD BIRDS

are my favorites so far
    yeah same here, i like these joints

wuswordz95

this album is a classic. thea rules

^^ lol get out of here, you had the album for a couple of hours and now it's a CLASSIC hahaha?? ..you know that's an insane statement huh, not to mention impossible.

lol

But like it's already been mentioned, a very hit or miss album.. Some great tracks, some wack tracks.. On first listen, Slang Prostitution is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Veteran Member

blood is thicker than mud is really cool with an interesting beat.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

Veteran Member

i haven't listened to the album very closely yet, but so far i think the appearances are fairly well executed, which is worth a rep to rza because of the diversity of the artists. in terms of the wack shit, the only one i see so far is boy jones. he sounds like he's from digital underground - not a good look for his first appearance. beat wise i can't hate. rza is definitely more interested in complex layerings of different sound, tempos, rhythms and melodies - its a lot different than the dark sparseness he made his name on, but its still high quality. just takes some getting used to and foregoing whiny wishes for rza to go back to his older style.

rza has always found dope mcs but rarely backs the right ones - i want him to profile rev. burke more and quit it with finding new talent every fucking day.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by "...." View Post
    i haven't listened to the album very closely yet, but so far i think the appearances are fairly well executed, which is worth a rep to rza because of the diversity of the artists. in terms of the wack shit, the only one i see so far is boy jones. he sounds like he's from digital underground - not a good look for his first appearance. beat wise i can't hate. rza is definitely more interested in complex layerings of different sound, tempos, rhythms and melodies - its a lot different than the dark sparseness he made his name on, but its still high quality. just takes some getting used to and foregoing whiny wishes for rza to go back to his older style.

rza has always found dope mcs but rarely backs the right ones - i want him to profile rev. burke more and quit it with finding new talent every fucking day.
    You that's a good way to see it and the good way to see rza in a different light for a change on this board. an artist has to evolve or you'll say he isn't doing anything new and when he does evolve people whine and say he needs to return to his roots.

my top 5
    1.take sword pt.3
    2.girl samurai lullaby
    3.bloody samurai
    4.dead birds
    5.whar