Thread: Notorious Soundtack Review

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Default Notorious Soundtack Review

You know when it comes to The Notorious BIG, I’m a huge fan but over the years I’ve feel with all these artist shouting him out have hurt his legacy and even those gate keepers of his legacy I feel as a fan haven’t done enough or basically over-exposed him to a generation that didn’t even get to know him or was old enough to feel his music. Now when it comes to the film sound track I’ll give it props to this much that put his best songs from his two actual albums not the decent guest filled ones (Born Again, Duets: The Final Chapter) we’ve been exposed too. As listener I rather feel Biggie in his rawest form which some of this soundtrack exposes us too.

From the start of the soundtrack to the meat of the album you have “Notorious Thugs” all the way to “Juicy” and even one of Biggie’s earliest songs in “Party and Bullshit” that all show different side of Biggie also to the evolution of his style of rapping. And with Biggie his passionate verbal flexibility on topics is to me what made him very accessible as an artist to listen too. With his skill to put words together at the same time get very personal especially wit the ladies on tracks like “One More Chance”. And when you see how much influence Biggie has had on hip hop music, just look at the type of songs people are doing right now that are on the billboard charts.

The songs that get me are the non-Biggie songs such as Jadakiss’ “Letter to Big” in which it’s the perfect ode to Biggie while letting Biggie know what’s going on wit his friends and compatriots. Even the dope Brooklyn ode to Biggie featuring Jay-Z wit the joint called “Brooklyn Go Hard” which big ups Biggie and his love for his borough. And yes I think that track made the soundtrack worth copping but I’m so not into the re-hashing of Biggie material that I have, owe and already have heard before. The tracks that I loved though were his early demo works that got him signed in the 1st place and even with songs like “Microphone Murderer” and “Guarantee Raw” are stuff that even Biggie fans will LOVE for what they mean to his life and his career.

Having not myself seen the movie yet, I will always be a Biggie fan because his albums were classic material that still resonate and give me chills down my spine yet still are relevant in today’s some what awkward hip hop scene. Overall I’m going to give this album a 5 out of 10 scale because I feel like this was poorly executed just capitalize off his career, the film (by the same name) yet really nothing new to show should have just been the best songs from his albums not the single cuts or simply left it alone.

2 out of 5 stars

este sitio es una mierda drippie k's Avatar

i want it for those demo tracks alone, fuck everything else on there really
    cash rules. still don't nothin move but the money

-

I wanna hear those demo songs of his on the soundtrack. I liked Biggie when he was underground because of his lyrical style and he was hardcore. Puffy turned him into a pop rapper with Life After Death album and that's why i didn't like it. It would've been interesting to see if Biggie would've stayed with Bad Boy or signed with a independent label if he was still alive. His lyrics were too hardcore for Bad Boy and i think his style would've been better with a independent label because he would've been able to do hardcore music instead of the pop stuff he did with his last album. If he was still alive and if he would've stayed with Bad Boy, he probably would've continued to do pop radio songs because of Puffy. I remember somebody on here saying if Biggie was still alive, he would've ended up being a pop rapper like Fat Joe LOL. Sheepish Lord Of Chaos, you should check out Notorious movie. It's good.

^^^The thing is, he always made pop singles that were dope alongside hardcore stuff on his albums. I was thinking today how cool it would be if he was still alive, cos unlike 2Pac who has enough material for several careers, BIG just had 2 albums and they were both undisputed classics. He might have fucked up his legacy if he hadn't been shot, but all artists with a long career end up doing something they shouldn't have, thats just human nature. It would have been nice to see where he went creatively. Also how could you not like 'Life After Death'?, thats got to be one of the most important rap albums of all time. And it seems like you haven't even heard it judging from your description of it as a 'pop' album. That album is hard to the core. Of course there are the lighter moments with danceable beats and brag raps, but mostly its bleak and intensely honest. Theres not a song on there that doesn't hold up in its own context. Its an epic album son. You should give it another 1 or 12 listens.

-

I did hear Life After Death and i didn't like it. I liked a few songs but it was wack to me. The album was soft. His first album is hardcore and i like hardcore rap. I don't like pop soft rap.