Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which lines in Nas - If I Ruled the World do you think are pure dumbness?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    ^^ "The Set Up" or "Shootouts"? I like them songs for beats.

It Was Written ain't that much of an album anyway. And Nas wasn't ignorant on Illmatic, he proved there he's literate and smart enough to make nimble verses with lots of overt/covert references. He's stupid only when he tries to make a difference with his words.
    shootouts

set up is my shit, i just couldn't remember names

by ignorant i didn't mean he was stupid but he didn't come of as someone that knew much outside of casual observations on illmatic and the majority of the album is about blunts guns and weed.

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

True, but it also has references from movies to classical literature, which means that it sounds accessible (or ignorant, as you'd say), but is literate anyway. You measure literacy by references in hip-hop, that's the only way.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Take It In Blood, The Message and Live Nigga Rap are nice, I used to really like Shootouts at the time, but after listening to it recently I found I didn't like it that much.

A lot of ppl here dont seem to like If I Ruled The World, I guess it's not one of the standout tracks from his catalogue, but this was the song that introduced me to Nas (didnt hear Illmatic till 2000!), altho I never really liked The Firm (Phonetap was alrite).

It seems like a lot of ppl weren't feelin the whole Nas Escobar thing (anyone remember Kool Keith dissin him on the 1st Dr Doom lp).

"I'ma pause like comma in a sentence, paragraphs idented", takes me back to summer 96....

Not his best work, but there was some nice stuff on there...

Anybody remember the video for Affirmative Action with NTM (complete with glow sticks IIRC lol)?

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

I used to think IWW was his best album, now I'm back to saying Illmatic, but there are some better tracks like - Take it in Blood. I'm completly in love with this track.
    bring back begongo!!

Good that you made it back to your senses.

And I don't like "Take it in Blood", when I was first trying to make it through IWW I fell asleep during that track for six times.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    ^^ "The Set Up" or "Shootouts"? I like them songs for beats.

It Was Written ain't that much of an album anyway. And Nas wasn't ignorant on Illmatic, he proved there he's literate and smart enough to make nimble verses with lots of overt/covert references. He's stupid only when he tries to make a difference with his words.
    he's just dumb when he tries to express his political views through songs.

^Lolwut

black girl lost wack? are you fucking kidding me? you people like alot of booty rza beats because they are rza beats, or for gods sake, northstarr? it was written is classic from start to finish.

Black girl Lost is pretty wack, but fuckin Street Dreams is worse. The hook is so fuckin gay, its embarrasing listening to that song when other people are around coz of that rediculous hook.

Illmatic is only ignorant in the sense of the character he invented. Nas was the kid watching from his 'Project Windows', Nasty Nas on Illmatic is someone he saw from his window, and he was just giving that perspective. Seriously in terms of his narratives, references, observations and metaphors he shows an understanding of the world at a young age that most of us will never fully comprehend. It the perspective of a teenage hood dweller and its a top ten album, easily.

now that you got your "hate on nas" moment out of your system...back to reality kids....

Nigga shut the fuck up.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Yeah, I acknowledge those tracks, but when I listen to some underground cats [Masta Ace is a great example], or mainstream even [Clipse], they really work on their songs, nahmean....not like this lazy ass mofo, funny how the shortest songs on Untitled were the best ones.
    bring back begongo!!

Fuck, need to spread rep before repping TSA again Basically everything he said was the truth.

(I still think the song is good though.)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Veteran Member staycreepin_n_silence's Avatar

I like the song now if you would have picked any song off i am or nastradmas or whatever year i would tag on to it. even god son but not iww that's my album
    Common~Talib Kweli~Nas~Az~Bun B~Eightball&MJG~Goodie mob~Fiend~WuTang~Lupe~BoneThugs~SunzofMan~JayZ~Bea ns~Jeezy~The Roots

Blood of a Slave Heart of a King. BraveHeart