Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chauncey Billups is Overrated

Irondan 2: Curly's Gold Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster's Avatar

Default Chauncey Billups is Overrated

I was just thinking about Chauncey Billups, and he is overrated. Especially this year. All-star? Give me a break

Now, don't get me wrong, he is a decent ballplayer, but he isn't as valuable as people make him seem.

First of all, we was never that great and got moved around a whole lot until he joined Detroit. DT was a team with a great attitude and a great SYSTEM, where the sum of the parts was greater than the individual. Now Chauncey was a vital part of that system, but he benefited from that system more than it benefited from him.

THEN, this year, he got traded to Denver, and now Denver is much better than last year and Detroit is much worse.

I would argue that Allen Iverson is a bigger reason for both than Chauncey. Detroit was falling off last year with Chauncey, as their core was getting older and the rest of the east was getting better. I would attribute their doing horrible this season more to adding AI than losing Chauncey. AI didn't fit their team-first system and has totally fucked up rotations and their core is another year older, more fucked up, and knows that management is thinking about 2010.

As far as the Nuggets, I will admit that Chauncey makes them somewhat better, but I think that LOSING iverson and Carmello's progression as a player is what really makes them better.

With Iverson gone, the Nuggets have become more of a team, and don't have 2 stars who dominate the ball. BUT, if you look at Carmello's numbers, he is shooting the 3 much better than last year and actually scores less and takes less shots than last year. He is a young kid who is figuring his shit out.

SO TO SUMMARIZE

Detroit is WORSE, mainly for adding AI and an aging core. Losing Chauncey is secondary.

DV is BETTER, mainly for losing AI and the progression of Carmello. Adding Chauncey is secondary.

Therefore, Chauncey Billups is overrated and probably doesn't deserve to be an all-star.
    --youreallfags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post
    I'm sorry? Negro English? I think you mean Ebonics.

Banned

I disagree. I think he is rated accurately.

I myself underrated him until this year after Detroit totally collapsed and he brought stability to the Nuggets.

He knows how to run a team, can hit shots and plays great defense and is physical.

He is not a GREAT player, and he isn't a perenniel All Star, but he is a very good player, and I think he deserved to make the team this year and in years past.

Look how shitty Rip is playing in Detroit. Its not necessarily the system, its the guy running the system, and i think thats what it was in Detroit.

The ABBOTT

what about kobe, is he overrated? he is a the best scorer in the nba, buts he does not rebound or get assist, and is above average defender. if he played for
    utah or somewhere like,that he would'nt get have the attention he does

based on the records of the teams, Billups is certainly more valuable than Iverson

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    based on the records of the teams, Billups is certainly more valuable than Iverson

nuff said

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    what about kobe, is he overrated? he is a the best scorer in the nba, buts he does not rebound or get assist, and is above average defender. if he played for
    utah or somewhere like,that he would'nt get have the attention he does
    Kobe is not overrated. He is a great player and the closest thing to Jordan since Jordan left.

Allen Iverson is a cancer to any talented team that relies on execution and sets.

My point is that Iverson's presence, or lack there of, combined with Detroit's aging core and the evolution of a more efficient Carmello Anthony, are bigger determinants of success than Chauncey Billups presence, or lack there of.
    --youreallfags.

Banned

Ok, i see where you are going, and I agree with that, but I think its half and half. Equally its Iverson being a cancer and Billups being an All Star caliber PG, which is the most important position on the court.

The only stat that matters is a 2.94 Assist to Turnover ratio which is 11th in the league.

Overrated? Hardly.
    Last edited by brock; 02-16-2009 at 09:23 PM.

The only stat that matters is a 2.94 Assist to Turnover ratio which is 11th in the league.

Overrated? Hardly.
    Stats don't tell the entire story, and A/T ratio is hardly the only stat that matters.

Look at the 10 players ahead of him. Only one is an all-star, although cases could be made for half of them.

That means he makes good decisions. It does not make him an all-star

I am not saying that he isn't a good, solid player.

But Carmello Anthony's improvement and losing Iverson has more to with Denver's turnaround than Chauncey.

Just as aging, the addition of AI, and the message from management has a lot more to do with the decline of DT than the loss of Chauncey.

He is good but overrated.

But he is not an all-star.
    --youreallfags.

Banned

I thought that whole Pistons team was overrated for a few of there final years cuz they were getting old and none of those guys were true superstars.

But I think Chauncey was the best player on that team. I used to think it was Rip.

thats why i say he's not overrated. You cannot underestimate the value of a guy who knows how to run an offense and make guys around him better.

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesLoveCoolDan View Post
    Stats don't tell the entire story, and A/T ratio is hardly the only stat that matters.

I know you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't. Ask anybody, when it comes to Point Guards, the only stat that matters is assist to turnover ratio. Well, that and number of rings, which he has one.
    Last edited by brock; 02-16-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Banned

its not that simple brock

and rings really dont say anything. Derek Fisher has alot more rings than Stockton, but STockton was the better PG and the hall of famer.

I know you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't. Ask anybody, when it comes to Point Guards, the only stat that matters is assist to turnover ratio. Well, that and number of rings, which he has one.
    I find your condescending attitude endearing, but I am assuming you never played organized basketball, and as in all subjects, you think you are more intelligent than you are.

Ask anybody. Intangibles, production, chemistry and leadership matter in determining the quality of a point guard. Calderon leads the league in assist to turnover, and he is good, but he is not the best point guard in the league. Baron Davis is top 5, and he is having a horrible year.

Different styles of point guards can be successful on different teams and in different systems.

I know more about sports than you, b-rock. How do you love that?

You know more about poll-creation and being doughy, but you can take your condescending, pseudo-intellect to KTL.
    --youreallfags.

Whenever someone loses a philosophical argument and they know it, they try to make a list of things the other person forgot to say, and almost always that list includes things that mean nothing at all, like for instance intangibles. Intangibles is just a fancy word that dumb people use because it doesn't mean anything at all, but sounds like it does. Now don't be an angry little boy and start name calling, but the other things you pointed out, are all qualities of Chauncey Billups. So in essence, you proved your own original theory wrong, didn't you?