Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California May Legalize Pot: Could Ceate $1 Billion In Tax Revenue

Default California May Legalize Pot: Could Ceate $1 Billion In Tax Revenue

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A state legislator is reviving the debate about legalizing marijuana as a way of raising money for cash-strapped state and local governments.

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, introduced a bill Monday that if approved by the California Legislature would put pot on the same legal footing as alcohol. Adults over the age of 21 would be allowed to buy it, and driving under the influence of marijuana would be prohibited.

Under Ammiano's proposal, which has been endorsed by some law enforcement officials, pot would be taxed at a rate of $50 per ounce and bring an estimated $1 billion into state coffers.

In 1996, California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana.
    http://www.myfox11.com/global/story.asp?s=9891455

Wu Vatican

yea i saw this shit today to. im guessing it wont happen. but i would say it is a possibility. things take baby steps in this country. with everything and anything look how long it took us to get a non white president. so thats why im not sure it will pass right now, but i think eventually yea.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

Banned

lol.....california...

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

its basically legal in Cali anyhow.

loads of folk got the "medication" card, and just walk into weedshops and buy whatever.

plus i think the punishment even if you dont have a med card is minimal.

If they do fully legalize it though, just think how many smokers are gonna relocate there

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

i saw a poll on cnn today that said 95% nationwide support legalising weed for additional tax revenue. so i guess it was related to this story.

i also saw that theyre(cali) thinking of releasing 4,000 prisoners cause of their fucked up state budget
    We do it for the people.

if its gonna happen it will happen now.

its all about money. you got folks at the end of their rope. if legalizing weed can be spun into a few extra dollars in the pocket it will happen. fear based politics.

by 2010 you will be able to push anything thru if it means money in the pocket., watch.
    its gonna be like 911 and terrorism. "this bill will stop terrorists from downloading mp3s" ahahahaha.

California may soon be overpopulated... just a prediction...
    http://i.imgur.com/GdghXmu.jpg

haahaaahaah the state gets $800 a pound LOL

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    haahaaahaah the state gets $800 a pound LOL
    but thats considerably less than what they get for arrresting someone witth a pound.

but then again the state might "touch" more lbs legally than criminally.

idk

how do they know if you weed is bootleg or not.

microchipped buds?

Wu Vatican

they may get 800 a pound in tax, but the real price of weed would have to drop dramatically to get it worth drug dealers while to not keep doing it illegally.

pot essentially is a weed though and in reality it should be priced accordingly. a couple dollars a pound in all actuality. but there has to be a little profit on top of its real cost or no one would grow it.

but most profit on weed (or any other drug for that mater) is based on the fact that it is illegal, and all the inherent dangers that that brings. i.e. jailtime, risk of robbery or murder, no legal police protection for your product and self, risk of loosing crop ect. all of that contributes to inflate the real price of weed/drugs by literally 100's to 1000's of %.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

L~>1<~NKS

The monetary system should be abolished

Much respeck to the Left Side tho

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

everyone out here is stoned even the lawyers

^lol, I went up to UC Berkley the other day and I seen people just chilling out in campus smoking joints n shit...

And in Cali right now you can't get arrested unless you're carrying more than one ounce, anything less and you just get some citation which comes with minimal fines. Weeds is basically legal here, all you have to do to get a prescription is say your stressed and your head hurts.

Wu Vatican

its the same everywhere.

you really would be suprised at he amount of people such as doctors lawyers, businessmen, politicians ect. that smoke weed. they just dont broadcast it and in all actuality discourage people from knowing.

its a little different in cali, it can be flaunted a bit more.

those people just do/act in a way thats "good for business".

they are people too, just because they chose to go to school for like 10 years to be a doc doenst mean docs dont like to indulge a bit like the rest of us. (and im talking a low % of those people that do it, but in terms of actual numbers of people its still significant)

Banned

I hope they never legalize cuz i love watching burnouts waste energy on this type of shit.