Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncontrolled Substance

i never understood why he didn't have more general's on the album either

ILLadelph (but just moved to Ft.Lauderdale)

Quote Originally Posted by blaksteez View Post
    I duno why but deck never real really got it together ,i feel liek he could of done alot better than his track record,not musicaly wise but in product.Anyway he probably have hi reasons for that,so who am i to judge..
    ^^^ i always felt that too. such an incredible MC on the WU projects, but a tragically disappointing solo resume'.

something else i never understood about deck..... he got into producing early on, and made a bunch of really hot beats. i wonder why he never pursued that hard. its like he abandoned it. if he kept w/ that & became a really thorough producer (which he was NOT far at all from), he could've stayed very relevant & stacked a LOT more paper.

^^ Deck could probably got real ill with the beats but to say that he wasn't far from a very thorough producer is far-fetched imo. "Beneath The Surface", "Kiss of a Black Widow" and "Stay True" is the only 3 beats he made that was really, really ill.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

ILLadelph (but just moved to Ft.Lauderdale)

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    ^^ Deck could probably got real ill with the beats but to say that he wasn't far from a very thorough producer is far-fetched imo. "Beneath The Surface", "Kiss of a Black Widow" and "Stay True" is the only 3 beats he made that was really, really ill.
    dont forget about "visionz" from "wu-tang forever".

and true, he didnt have much of a body of work, but the few "glimpses" here show me he learned a LOT from rza & that he could do pretty damn well if he comitted to it.
    he also did:
    *elevation (GFK used it for "stay true")
    *S.O.S. (DOPE!!!)
    *glide (from u-god's "redemption")

i hear u, though.

peace.

he did dat hyperdemix beat off his 1st album..really dope imo

^^ yes that is a classic but in all honestly I think Large Professor is the mastermind behind that beat, I made a thread on that some months back.. if you look in the credits it says he was just mixing the record but then you see that he got both writing and publishing credits - something that none other mixer on that album (or any other LP i know) gets.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

"Common Denominator" was a freestyle. That wouldn't have been on the album. It came out a long time before 1999 too.

"Night Shift" and "The Settlement" definitely were supposed to be there but were cut. The "Night Shift" beat was really good and was later reused for 9th Prince I think. I don't know why, but Loud maybe wanted to try something more commercial with him (they were about to go under around that time) and they put wack shit like "Forget Me Not" on there.

Deck is an example of a missed opportunity. If you listen to him on Liquid Swords you start to think of what might have been. I wish all members could have gotten the full RZA treatment like Meth, Dirty, Rae, Ghost & GZA did. I mean, come on. How else is U-God gonna make anything worth checking?

Quote Originally Posted by portis24 View Post
    i never understood why he didn't have more general's on the album either

yeah. no Raekwon or Ghost. ..I think this is one of the only Wu solos (first time solos) that doesn't feature Meth.

PRODIGAL SUN

I think that Large Pro did the scratches for the record which is why he got more crediting than usual

I like this album, but with that said deck might be the most disappointing member of the wu. think about all the versus he dropped since enter the wu and how hot them shits were. I was expecting decks album to be on the level of a Liquid swords but no. maybe if it would have came out in 95 then we would have got that but still it was a good album.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    a lot of tracks were leaked, so deck went back and did some new ones. probably the one he did with ruthless bastards. i don't think that has ever appeared on an album, but it's all over the internet.
    The track with the bastards only came out on 12", so far i know

Eastern village

does somone has the promo album? i remeber a friend had it and they had nightshift and settlement on it, there was also a couple of songs that i can not remember the name of. If someone has it please put up a tracklist..