0 0%
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: MF DOOM - Born Like This

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Default MF DOOM - Born Like This

Supervillain ntro 6/10

Gazillion ear - 8/10 piffy

Ballskin - 4/10 the track doesnt live up2 the illyskin title lol

Yessir! (feat Raekwon) - 6.5/10 old esg UFO sample used for the 4,080th time, mixtape feels

Absolutely - 7/10 beats got a nice vibe to it, DOOM kills tho'

Rap Ambush - 6/10 horrible beat, really horrible kick drum

Lightworks - 6.5/10 well...doom couldve released this on a mixtape, like most rapper do nowadayz, we dont pay for this anymore, beats old as fuck

Batty Boyz - 7/10 me likey, shame not more like it already

Angelz - 8.5/10 ghost gives us all an example of how he SHOULD always be rappin

Cellz - 7/10 grymy

Still Dope - 5.5/10 'notha old ass beat. hmph. didnt really need to hear this female MC either

Microwave Mayo - 6/10 i guess?

More rhymin' - 5/10 i got nothin

Thats That - 6/10 'NOTHER old-ass-beat!!!.

Supervillainz - 7/10 old skool, like it

Bumpy - 1/10 not needed answerphone knuckles message

Thank Yah - 5/10

OVERALL - 6/10

I been bumpin' this for the last couple of hours, heard it about 3 times in full now and... I'm still not sure about it.

I'm sure the track with Rae is off the Vatican 3: House of Wax mixtape, the track with the chick MC aint good either, and there's a few other skippable tracks.

There are some dope cuts though, Gazillion Ear is bangin', Cellz, Lightworks, Batty Boyz, Angelz...

Need to listen a few more times before I drop a proper review...

Peace!

yeah i forgot that, it is, i think its actually named house of wax too

more signs that this is a half assed lazy fucking album by DOOM

that niggas got issues, if he been working on this album so long why are there so many 3 year old beats?

Top 5: Gazzilion Ear, Batty Boyz, Angelz, Cellz, Supervillainz

Grade: (3.7/5) B+

Album is nice but their are too many cons... reused beats, lightworks -qtip n kweli did a better job imo, yessir! - nice but not needed along with empress solo, short tracks.

This album is a "Hate it or love it" type. Hopefully he drops atleast 2 more albums and kills it like he did in 04.
    Last edited by RynMur; 04-01-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added Review

i think the album's incredible. DOOM is rhyming his ass off and i like most of the beats a lot. the fact that i'd heard some tracks a long time ago doesn't bother me at all. that's how it goes these days.

its not incredible at all.

it couldnt hold a candle to mm..food.

mm..food is a real album, this is jut strung-together mish mash of shit that just sounds half assed.

i need longer to focus on his rhymes more. they sounded better than i thought they would be

i just got this shit and i never heard ballskin. i didn't know doom jacked the beat from "street hop" by planet asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Tyson View Post
    i just got this shit and i never heard ballskin. i didn't know doom jacked the beat from "street hop" by planet asia.
    damn your right (sounds alot better with ayzsh on it too)

IS THERE ANY ORIGINAL BEAT ON THIS SHITTY ASS MIXTAPE ALBUM???!!!

successful rappers would put out this album for free now.

its not a real album. if your not rapping a new song over a new beat its a mixtape track now no matter how you dress it up with microwavable mayo.

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Ain't heard it yet, but... according to what D-Black and Mic Tyson said... seems Metal Fingers fell off beat-wise?

Damn.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

yeah this is basically a fuckin mixtape. and angelz is worse than the original. i aint heard the rest yet but he has been doin gay shit lately. first "madvillainy 2" now a mixtape thats supposed to be an album with jacked beats and songs that are fuckin old.

lazy ass nigga

Doom is a Homophobe? smh

They edited the fuck charlie murphy part on angelz. haha

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

From the moment you pop in a MF DOOM album you hear the fantastic four 60’s cartoon samples and the whole thing right. And when the opening of “Born Like This” and you hear the description of DOOM and his plan you know the characterization is just there to draw you in and once you here DOOM spit his fluid flow that just cuts through the beat like butter on the intro right into the J Dilla produced “Gazillion Ear”, that just gets ripped to shreds where you really are feeling like the playback or the pressing of replay is necessary.

By the time you take your finger off the button to run that back and you start hearing tracks like “Ballskin”, “Absolutely” and my personal favorite “Cellz” you start feeling the depth of lyrical ability that is rarely seen in the sublime releases of rap albums that just seem more like cogs to the machine instead of the heart of the body. For the most part DOOM’s lyrics are very dope and the beats very well compliment each other. And when it comes to the beats I would say rate on the scale of depth and playability would be at leave a 4.5 because of the fact DOOM produced 14 out of the 17 tracks on this album. For the rest of the album in which DOOM appears on majority of the album with the exception of “Yes Sir” featuring Raekwon and the rest have features make this album something of a full dish of food to be eating in this day and age.

Overall the tracks that grab me as a DOOM Fan would be DOOM’s rendition of J Dilla’s “Lightworks” (in which previous had Q-Tip & Talib Kweli rip it) to the shot in the dark that is “Batty Boyz”. With all that you still got a rough jewel that is and was “Angelz” that was slightly reproduced maybe because of sample issues plus I didn’t like how they re-editted the ending yet the song doesn’t miss a step regardless. For the most part this album has allot of steam too it and really doesn’t loose you until the end where you got Freddie Foxxx aka Bumpy Knuckles leaving a message on DOOM’s answering machine and the instrumental outro that is “Thank Yah”. I mean it was all constant music until the abrupt but either way this album bangs at a high not that DOOM really took his time and took his album into his own hangs regardless of the “DOOM Imposters” bloopers and all that jazz. Overall the album is a surely 3 out of 5 yet could easily be a 4 for the fact that if their wasn’t some sloppy missteps with non appearances and shotty interludes that kill the potential but whatever because the music is what matters.

3 OUT OF 5 STARS

Veteran Member

"i just got this shit and i never heard ballskin. i didn't know doom jacked the beat from "street hop" by planet asia."

thats a Jake 1 beat, not Doom that makes Ballskin=Street Hop

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

good shit sheepish....

ima give this a good listen and drop comments tomorrow
    We do it for the people.