Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: What are your unpopular opinions on hiphop that you like to say, not giving a fuck?

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by llBARlllCODEll View Post
    but they are still miles apart
    so u wanna put Ghost up there to? he sings and raps. what about Dirty?
    i can add more but i havent smoked yet since i got home fromn work and i need to unwind

dont know about u but i like BONE so how bout we only put fags in the same category wit Drake
    I own all bone's solo discorgaphy. and come on fam, we both know ghost and dirty sing occasionally not on a constant basis like bone and drake, you still haven't gave me a valid reason why they are different when it comes to that one aspect.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

The blueprint 3 is one of jay's best albums! i really dont understand why im the only that loves it this much!

Take care is the best album of 2011 and will start a movement/new sound!

Loso's way is a great album!

Masta Ace's A long hot summer is a classic!

RBG is a better album than lets get free!

Ludacris is the best southern rapper ever!

Drake is nice! just because he's big in the mainstream doesnt automatically mean he's not nice!

Joe budden is one of the best mc's ever!

Joe budden needs to get off the fucking internet!

Skyzoo's the salvation is a classic album!

The Blackstar album is boring. and i love both mos and talib!

Nas' worst album was Street's disciple not nastradamus.

Quote Originally Posted by graveyard_shifter View Post
    you know..imma add my 2cents on whar that brother wrote earlier about whites ruining hip hop...dont know what world you live in man but the trash on radio? Is alive because of those so alled hood ass blck folk who only care about the clubs and shit..whether or not you wanna believe it,its fact,if it wasn't for the high demographic of our white counterparts suppoerting underground movements..the whole genre woulda faded to the nonsense on radio..u really need to kill the color generalization and blame the ignorant...i totally disagree with that notion..thats just straight racist and stupid..music is universal..nothing makes me happier than to know hip hop can bring us all together,im sick of you cats who just use the culture to segregate..enoug of that already

smh.....the majority of rap sales have come from white people. aside from the obvious economic disparities, young white people have always flocked to the "cool black sound" they become so enamored with. Why did 50 sell 80 billion copies of Get Rich or Die Trying? Cause white kids were like "wow this 'gangsta' rap stuff about shooting and gangs is so cool".

So all that "mainstream" stuff you think is so terrible, is being purchased one track at a time for 99 cents by white teenagers mostly. Soulja Boy, Flocka, Chris Brown, that's mostly white people buying all that. All studies have shown this since back when NWA sold all them records, white suburbia buys the most rap.

the only people who buy underground rap are college kids who sit around and smoke weed and think lyrical shit is all that matters. yes they're still white kids, and at least with them cornball artists like mac miller it's exclusively white kids, but they also account for most of the mainstream sales as well

plus this whole illusion of "hip hop brings everyone together" yeah ok..check out this video ---> http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/11/28/...agram-edition/

i find no less than 3 racist actions by this person who clearly loves hip hop, yet even with that love he still resorts to racism when confronted by black people who make him angry.....smh....
    Last edited by buckshotstheone; 12-10-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

Platypi on the swarm!! RUSHING PLATYPUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    smh.....the majority of rap sales have come from white people. aside from the obvious economic disparities, young white people have always flocked to the "cool black sound" they become so enamored with. Why did 50 sell 80 billion copies of Get Rich or Die Trying? Cause white kids were like "wow this 'gangsta' rap stuff about shooting and gangs is so cool".

So all that "mainstream" stuff you think is so terrible, is being purchased one track at a time for 99 cents by white teenagers mostly. Soulja Boy, Flocka, Chris Brown, that's mostly white people buying all that. All studies have shown this since back when NWA sold all them records, white suburbia buys the most rap.

the only people who buy underground rap are college kids who sit around and smoke weed and think lyrical shit is all that matters. yes they're still white kids, and at least with them cornball artists like mac miller it's exclusively white kids, but they also account for most of the mainstream sales as well

plus this whole illusion of "hip hop brings everyone together" yeah ok..check out this video ---> http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/11/28/...agram-edition/

i find no less than 3 racist actions by this person who clearly loves hip hop, yet even with that love he still resorts to racism when confronted by black people who make him angry.....smh....

LMFAO poor bastard, this'll hunt him forever lol

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taskmaster2112 View Post
    Jay-Z is not the best or the worst rapper alive. He's not worth that level of hyperbole. He's talented but has largely squandered that talented since "Reasonable Doubt"
    Totally agree

Jurassic 5's "Quality Control" is one of the top 20 Hip-Hop albums ever. So are O.C.'s "Word...Life" and Organized Konfusion's "Stress: The Extinction Agenda".
    Agree. Esp. for Stress. How that album doesn't get its place in hip-hop top 10's is beyond me. The rapping alone definitely rivals Nas and Biggie's debut's from the same year that make it on every single list.

I would also add T.I.M.E. (The Inner Mind's Eye) to your list.

Mos Def is one of my favorite rappers (I am not saying he's the most technically skilled or anything, but he makes great music). "Black on Both Sides", "The Ecstatic", and the Black Star album are all classics and "The New Danger" is inconsistent but still really good.
    I've only heard Black Star and Black on Both Sides, which are both great, but what's inconsistent about Black Star? Sure there's nothing super original or forward thinking, but as a throwback, Native Tongues/Gang Starr vibe resurrected, it's pretty much perfect.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back", "3 Feet High an Rising", and "Paul's Boutique" are the best albums in terms of sampling ever.
    Pretty sure most hip hop heads don't disagree.

"Midnight Marauders" is the best Hip Hop album ever. Tribe has never released a bad album.
    I really don't know if I'd call it the "best ever" bar none, but it's definitely one of the best and I agree that none of Tribe's albums are bad, though The Love Movement is a bit lackluster in comparison to the first four.

Lauryn Hill from 96-98 is the best female rapper ever. She also used to be hot as hell (check the video for "Doo Wop (That Thing)". She looks like a scarecrow now though.
    Agree

"8 Diagrams" is the third best Wu-Tang album after their first two.
    Not really a huge fan of any of the ones after the first two (they all have good songs, but get dragged down somewhere), but it's probably the most forward-thinking one since those first two, so it gets points for experimentation.

Somebody else said this already, but people who only listen to Hip-Hop are foolish. Nobody should limit themselves to only one genre. In fact, if you listen to late 80s and 90s Hip Hop and that didn't turn you on to funk, soul, jazz, reggae, etc., then you need to grow a new set of ears.
    This is definitely true for me.

Aceyalone is one of the best rappers (in terms of skills and discography) ever.
    Not only that but he's one of the most charismatic rappers on the mic. It doesn't matter what the fuck he's rapping about, he'll make it sound interesting. But you pretty much have to add all the member's of Freestyle Fellowship/Haiku D'etat as well. Micah 9 is at least as good as Acey if not better.

Odd Future are both overrated and underrated. For the most part their stuff is kind of average and boring, but most of their stuff isn't terrible or amazing. I don't get why people on either side of the debate get so heated about them.
    I definitely got excited about them last winter when I first heard "Yonkers." I enjoyed Tyler's and Earl's debuts, but only about half the song's on each are worth replays. I figured it was ok since they were just getting started, but Tyler's Goblin album was a huge disappointment. Most of those tracks had no business being as long as the were and a lot of it was uninspired and childish without being charming.

Dinco D and Charlie Brown were just as dope as Busta on the Leaders of the New School records and their verses, while not as good as Busta's, should be mentioned whenever people talk about how great "Scenario" is.
    I said almost the same thing in a thread I made about T.I.M.E.! Not only that, but LONS was the last time Busta spit a verse that had more abstract and poetic inclinations. Not saying his solo shit isn't entertaining - I love The Coming and When Disaster Strikes, but like someone else said, he's been spitting the same verse for years now (I'd say longer than 5). His last album worth listening to was Genesis (and that's mostly for the production and his style), but if you gathered every single verse he wrote for that album, not one is even close to being as clever or creative as fun as a single verse from T.I.M.E. where he only spits one verse per song.

Anyway, it's a damn shame he left Charlie and Dinco (and Milo - not as talented lyrically, but I love his dancehall style) in the mud after that guest appearance on The Coming. Those guys were really starting to step it up another level on that last track, but instead he was more interested in boring "I'm gonna kill you backstabbe's / look at this bitch's ass" subject matter. Rampage and Rah Digga were great, but the rest of Flipmode Squad was pretty damn forgettable IMO.

There has been some amazing Hip Hop in the last 5-6 years, but for the most part since "Donuts" instrumental Hip Hop (Dilla, Madlib, Flying Lotus, Apollo Brown, etc.) has been the main force pushing the genre forward. The vast majority of the great Hip Hop released since 2006 or so has just been working with old sounds and styles.

^I must reemphasize that the above comment does not mean that there are no good rappers or that there have been no good albums with rapping on them since "Donuts". I just think that the beatmakers working on instrumental projects are the main cats advancing the art form.
    What about stuff like Shadow and Krush?

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chungsanity View Post
    1. Common, talib kweli, and mos def are all overrated. Wackass jazzy backpack beats with their stupid conscious bullshit - i dont buy into that. Resurrection was far too overrated, only good songs being resurrection and i used to love her. Rest are wack cause of commons monotone delivery. They all need to write a book instead if you wanna express knowledge.

2. Atliens is by far the most overrated album ever considered a classic.

3. Lupe fiasco is the most overrated rapper ever since he entered the game.

4. Rakim is the most overrated rapper of all-time. His monotone style puts me to sleep. No swag, no charisma. He gets a pass for being a pioneer but other than that, his style is straight up wacka nd puts me to sleep.

5. Az shouldve retired after his 2nd album. He's done nothing after that, talkin about the same shit. His career is an epic failure.

your arguement is invaid

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I've only heard Black Star and Black on Both Sides, which are both great, but what's inconsistent about Black Star? Sure there's nothing super original or forward thinking, but as a throwback, Native Tongues/Gang Starr vibe resurrected, it's pretty much perfect.

Not only that but he's one of the most charismatic rappers on the mic. It doesn't matter what the fuck he's rapping about, he'll make it sound interesting. But you pretty much have to add all the member's of Freestyle Fellowship/Haiku D'etat as well. Micah 9 is at least as good as Acey if not better.

What about stuff like Shadow and Krush?
    I want to address thee three responses you made to what I said.

1. I said that "Black on Both Sides", "The Ecstatic", and the Black Star album are classics. "The New Danger" is the only one of those albums that I said was inconsistent. I think "Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star" is extremely consistent quality-wise.

2. I think lyrically and flow-wise Myka 9 is just as good if not better than Aceyalone, but Acey's voice and cadences is really what puts him ahead of the other members of Freestyle Fellowhip for me. He just has too much damn charisma. The newest FF single is a great example of this. All four verses are top notch, but the way Acey delivers his verse is just perfect.

3. I love DJs Shadow and Krush, and I think they definitely pushed the genre forward. During the era when they were putting out their best stuff (90s-early 2000s) hip hop artists/groups that heavily focused on the rapping element of Hip Hop were the main force pushing the genre forward, whereas over the last 5 years the most important pioneers of the genre have been artists who make instrumental Hip Hop.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post

the guy in the vid is drunk so you can't really take it serious. also when you ramble on for a couple of paragraphs try and have a point, beyond 'i'm a white guy, and i hate white guys'. you try and respond to graveyard and basically live up to what he said about them that use any excuse to segregate.

he preety much validated my point..rest my case

LOL

this buds for u Gravey, not Cumshot NippleClamps

este sitio es una mierda drippie k's Avatar

gucci gucci is a catchy ass song and i like the beat

talib kweli's albums suck bawls..gutter rainbows was really ghey..but for some reason, both reflection eternal albums are pretty great even tho he raps solo on those too and yeah, black star is dope as fuck

ludacris is fucking dope

fuck you guys, i like yelawolf and mgk but yeah mac miller is a fucking queermo

mellowhype is the best coming from odd future, tyler is sick too tho

there's a lot of gay shit goin on in rap now, like it's slowly creepin in more and more

fuck you guys, lupe is sick

rakim is pretty overrated, but at least he's not a faggot like krs-one is now

az's fist album is the only one he made worth listening to and even then its just sounds like nas rappin with a higher pitch

kanye west makes good music..everything, mixtapes, beats, features and even watch the throne and 808's was sick to me..he may be an asshole douchebag cocky ass motherfucker but you can't lie, his music is pretty damn good

and i'd totally fuck that fat chick
    cash rules. still don't nothin move but the money

Quote Originally Posted by drippie k View Post
    ludacris is fucking dope - I cant lie. i think luda is dope too for as outhern rapper. healways reminded me of a down south redman

and i'd totally fuck that fat chick
    i would too. thats why i dedicated that one to Shifter

Cream of the Corp

you know..imma add my 2cents on whar that brother wrote earlier about whites ruining hip hop...dont know what world you live in man but the trash on radio? Is alive because of those so alled hood ass blck folk who only care about the clubs and shit..whether or not you wanna believe it,its fact,if it wasn't for the high demographic of our white counterparts suppoerting underground movements..the whole genre woulda faded to the nonsense on radio..
    In the world I live in, "so-called hood ass black folk" don't determine what gets played on the radio. That decision is made, and that power is in the hands of rich white executives, overwhelmingly. If an artist wants radio success, they must make songs that these powerful decision makers will allow to get that radio burn. If rapping is part of one's hustle, one has to adapt to what sells. "So-called hood ass black folk" adapt to the white executives' decisions, not the other way around. Also, the underground adapts to the mainstream, overwhelmingly more than the mainstream adapts to the underground.

And this implication that "underground" is intrinsically a better or a more "pure/real" form of hip-hop than mainstream is a massive myth. (IMO)
    u really need to kill the color generalization and blame the ignorant...i totally disagree with that notion..thats just straight racist and stupid..music is universal..nothing makes me happier than to know hip hop can bring us all together,im sick of you cats who just use the culture to segregate..enoug of that already
    Like I posted before, white people have always been entertained by black people. That audience - performer relationship does not create any real form of unity once the music stops playing. And some executive giving an artist $1 when he making $50 off of him damn sure ain't unity. That's called business.