29 19.86%
  • mediocre

14 9.59%
  • wack

2 1.37%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RZA - Birth Of A Prince

Default Re: RZA - Birth Of A Prince

This album disappointed me. It lacked the replayability of RZA's earlier albums, but when I first heard it I LOVED it. These days I still listen to about half the joints regularly, but RZA's production was at times uninspired and I think he should have taken more time to make this album.. and less outside producers. Like it or not, RZA is defined by his production. I don't want guys trying to sound like RZA or how experimental they sound, because in the end they can't really complement RZA like he can himself.

The Poet You Never Were 9th Warrior's Avatar

digi in stereo is better, this album is better than bullet, but it also could hav been better
    chi kung is best cut on there

wackness

1 Bob N'I ---------- 7/10 - alright, i guess. at least rza doesnt sound like a retard
    2 The Grunge --------3/10 - reminds of "the chase". which is not good. rza sounds like a retard. would have made a good instrumental
    3 We Pop ------------0/10 - horrific
    4 Grits ft. Masta Killa ---------7/10 - rhymes aren't great from either but a nice song
    5 Fast Cars ft. Ghostface Killah---------5/10 - beat is repetitive and lumbering. rza sounds like a retard. even ghost cant save it
    6 Chi Kung ---------------5/10 nice beat. horrible hook. rza sounds like a retard. guest appearance (cilvaringz?) is boring. would have made a good instrumental
    7 You'll Never Know ft. Cilvaringz----------4/10 by-the-numbers rza beat. weak cilvaringz verse. rza sounds like a retard. would have made a good instrumental
    8 Drink, Smoke & Fuck -----------------3/10 - horrible "in stereo" style beat. rza sounds like a retard
    9 The Whistle ft. Prodigal Sunn & Masta Killa-----------6/10 nice beat. horrible hook. rza sounds like a retard. shouldve just made this a prodigal & masta joint
    10 Drop Off ft. Division ---------------- 3/10 - weak beat. rza sounds like a retard. wackalicious guest appearance from some no-name dudes
    11 Wherever I go ft. Division -----------4/10 - boring beat. rza actually doesn't sound that retarded here but there is a wackalicious guest appearance from some no-name dudes (one of whom really needs to give jay-z his style back)
    12 Koto Chotan ft. Masta Killa--------------6/10 - beat is a bit clumsy but i guess it works. rza only sounds mildly retarded here at least. masta is real nice, but whoever that chick is is really horrible
    13 A Day To God is a 1000 Years --------5/10 mindless muddled rambling. shoudlnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as sunshower. beat is ok.
    14 Cherry Range ft. Beretta 9--------2/10 beat sounds like a digitized fart. wack hook. rza sounds like a retard. beretta 9 is as boring as ever
    15 The Birth------- 6/10 very nice beat but rza still sounds kinda retarded even if his lyrics are good here at least
    16 See The Joy -----3/10 a very half-assed concept song with a boring beat. rza sounds like a retard

Scientifical Ninja Orion Nebulus's Avatar

I remembered when it first came out...it was in such short notice too...Rza coming out with an album is a must have. "Birth of a Prince" is a great album!!! It was the transformation of Bobby D to Prince Rakeem. Joints that stand out is "Fast Cars"..."A day to God is a 1000 years"...."The birth"....classic Rza.."Koto Chotan"....and "Chi Kung"....the flow and the beat to that joint is sooo dope and hypnotic LOL!! Now "Return of the Prince" looms over the horizon.

"One arm bandit..stab companions with intricate sentences...battle crews single- handed..with cannons that blow you from here to other planets."

i think this album is great. chi kung is the hottest and something about the drums and guitar riff in koto chotan make it one of my favorites. i would however, like to have seen more official wu cameos.

on my RZA solo scale, this album ties up with digi in stereo, then comes digi bullet....
    KillaBee213

beat sounds like a digitized fart
    lol ahahah that's the truth !!!
    F.L.I.N.T.

Formerly Arsehole

Quote Originally Posted by Literate Type Asshole
    wackness

1 Bob N'I ---------- 7/10 - alright, i guess. at least rza doesnt sound like a retard
    2 The Grunge --------3/10 - reminds of "the chase". which is not good. rza sounds like a retard. would have made a good instrumental
    4 Grits ft. Masta Killa ---------7/10 - rhymes aren't great from either but a nice song
    5 Fast Cars ft. Ghostface Killah---------5/10 - beat is repetitive and lumbering. rza sounds like a retard. even ghost cant save it
    6 Chi Kung ---------------5/10 nice beat. horrible hook. rza sounds like a retard. guest appearance (cilvaringz?) is boring. would have made a good instrumental
    7 You'll Never Know ft. Cilvaringz----------4/10 by-the-numbers rza beat. weak cilvaringz verse. rza sounds like a retard. would have made a good instrumental
    8 Drink, Smoke & Fuck -----------------3/10 - horrible "in stereo" style beat. rza sounds like a retard
    9 The Whistle ft. Prodigal Sunn & Masta Killa-----------6/10 nice beat. horrible hook. rza sounds like a retard. shouldve just made this a prodigal & masta joint
    10 Drop Off ft. Division ---------------- 3/10 - weak beat. rza sounds like a retard. wackalicious guest appearance from some no-name dudes
    11 Wherever I go ft. Division -----------4/10 - boring beat. rza actually doesn't sound that retarded here but there is a wackalicious guest appearance from some no-name dudes (one of whom really needs to give jay-z his style back)
    12 Koto Chotan ft. Masta Killa--------------6/10 - beat is a bit clumsy but i guess it works. rza only sounds mildly retarded here at least. masta is real nice, but whoever that chick is is really horrible
    13 A Day To God is a 1000 Years --------5/10 mindless muddled rambling. shoudlnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as sunshower. beat is ok.
    14 Cherry Range ft. Beretta 9--------2/10 beat sounds like a digitized fart. wack hook. rza sounds like a retard. beretta 9 is as boring as ever
    15 The Birth------- 6/10 very nice beat but rza still sounds kinda retarded even if his lyrics are good here at least
    16 See The Joy -----3/10 a very half-assed concept song with a boring beat. rza sounds like a retard
    just wondering, do you like RZA at all?

he's probably one of my favorite musicians of all time and my favorite hip hop producer so yeah, just a little

and before bobby digital in stereo he was very dope on the mic. now he's awful

this is what ive been sayin since the album dropped.. i have no idea why people praise this song as if its some highly intellectual metaphorical masterpiece.. a child could of made that song its so simple and half assed

Available Worldwide via these book sellers:
    Barnes and Noble Bookfinder.com
    Amazon.com Trafford Publishing Target

Quote Originally Posted by Literate Type Asshole
    wackness

Your post ----- 0/10 You kinda sound like a retard. will print it out and use as toilet paper.
    "You love to love to love, and you hate to hate to hate!!"

oh dude i just like got totally burned dude

Quote Originally Posted by My First Timbs
    this is what ive been sayin since the album dropped.. i have no idea why people praise this song as if its some highly intellectual metaphorical masterpiece.. a child could of made that song its so simple and half assed
    I agree with that ... plus it's hard for me to understand why so much people are jerking off listening to 1 day to God ....
    F.L.I.N.T.

Quote Originally Posted by WU-KILLAH
    I agree with that ... plus it's hard for me to understand why so much people are jerking off listening to 1 day to God ....
    ahahahahahahhahahaha exactly !!!

Available Worldwide via these book sellers:
    Barnes and Noble Bookfinder.com
    Amazon.com Trafford Publishing Target

FRESH FISH

7.5/10

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

1 Bob N'I 3/5... nice old school shoutout i guess...
    2 The Grunge 4/5... lyrically not brilliant, but the beat more than makes up for it...
    3 We Pop 1/5... just don't like it much...
    4 Grits ft. Masta Killa 4/5... the beat is a little repetitive... otherwise awesome...
    5 Fast Cars ft. Ghostface Killah 4.5/5... love the beat...
    6 Chi Kung 4/5... i like the beat and rza's delivery... the hook catches some flack, but to me it fits...
    7 You'll Never Know ft. Cilvaringz 3.5... the beat is a little too repetitive... i love the drums though... the verses are pretty good i guess...
    8 Drink, Smoke & Fuck 3/5... hate the concept and the chorus of this song... a shame, because the beat and the verses don't sound that bad...
    9 The Whistle ft. Prodigal Sunn & Masta Killa 4.5/5... loses 0.5 for the chorus... since it's called the whistle, the hook should have just been the whistle, it would have been perfect...
    10 Drop Off ft. Division 2/5... the verses are the only saving graces...
    11 Wherever I go ft. Division 4/5... don't mind this at all... nice beat to nod your head to...
    12 Koto Chotan ft. Masta Killa 4.5/5... love the beat and masta killah is in the form of his life here... the chick at the end cops flack, but she only sounds inferior because of how good the mk verse before hers is...
    13 A Day To God is a 1000 Years 4.5/5... i like this a lot... the beat is unbelievable...
    14 Cherry Range ft. Beretta 9 2/5... can't get past the beat... it's just crap...
    15 The Birth 5/5... awesome beat and i love the way rza changes his delivery for the second verse...
    16 See The Joy 3.5/5... interesting beat... but it's a stupid way to finish an album...