Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Sports Facts

Default Odd Sports Facts

Can you guess who the top paid athlete for the Portland Trailblazers is?

Would you have guessed Raef Lafrentz ringing in 12 million +?

With the likes of Oden, Roy,and Aldridge on that squad, he'd be the last one I thought of. And why not when he's averaging a lil' more than a point a game.

add on with anything crazy from the world of sports

Support the Real. Click HERE

Welcome to the wonderful world of guaranteed contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of guaranteed contracts.
    I don't follow basketball the same way I do football but that kind of productivity matched with that kind of contract is ridiculous.

Football doesn't have guaranteed contracts, that's why all their contracts are signing bonus and incentive laced, the owner can tear up your contract any time. Baseball on the other hand has partial guaranteed contracts, in order for a player to be erased of a contract, they first have to clear a 24 hour waiver period. It's called being "designated for assignment".

Banned

I think the highest paid player on the Cavs is either Ben Wallace or Wally Sczerbiak.

It all depends on how many years you been in the league and what type of max contract you can get.

That makes sense with Portland cuz they don't have alot of veterans. Buncha youngsters.

And it doesn't just have to do with points scored.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    And it doesn't just have to do with points scored.
    I hear ya that there's more than one way to be effective as a player in basketball but dude is averaging about 10 mins a game........and gettin paid waaay more than anyone else.

idk why any gm picks up those kind of contracts.

Eli and Peyton Manning both had the same college coach = Dave Cutcliffe
    Peyton - Tennessee
    Eli - Ole Miss

Banned

The Pittsburgh Steelers are really the Philadelphia Eagles and vice versa...

After the 1940 season, Art Rooney sold the Steelers to Alexis Thompson and bought a 50% stake in the Philadelphia Eagles from owner Bert Bell. After Rooney got homesick and Thompson wanted to be closer to his East Coast business interests, the Bell/Rooney Eagles and the Thompson Steelers swapped franchise territory. Bell/Rooney's Eagles' corporate organization, including most of the players, moved to Pittsburgh and Thompson's Steelers moved to Philadelphia, leaving only the team nicknames in their original cities. (In fact, the "new" Steelers' corporate name remained "Philadelphia Football Club, Inc." until 1945.) Since NFL franchises are territorial rights distinct from individual corporate entities, the NFL does not consider this a franchise move and considers the current Pittsburgh Steelers as a single unbroken entity from 1933. Rooney regained majority control in the Steelers in 1946, when Bert Bell sold his interest in the team upon becoming the NFL Commissioner. Art Rooney emerged with 58% of the club, while Rooney's brother-in-law, Barney McGinley, became a 42% owner. The Rooney family has since purchased half of the McGinley shares.

Banned

These are odd sports facts? Who is the highest paid player at a team?

Odd sport fact. Denmark won the 1992 European Football Championship without actually qualifying for the tournament. Yugoslavia were booted from the competition due to civil war and Denmark were included as they had the best record of any team that failed to qualify. They went on to win.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Wu Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by NickyTooch View Post
    I think the highest paid player on the Cavs is either Ben Wallace or Wally Sczerbiak.

It all depends on how many years you been in the league and what type of max contract you can get.

That makes sense with Portland cuz they don't have alot of veterans. Buncha youngsters.

yeaaa but im pretty sure bron would have if he signed that longer contract that was available to him. he knew he'd make a little less now and than make mega bucks when he moves to the knicks when his contract is up.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

muhammad ali always had his corner on tha eastern side so before fights he could turn around real quick and say a quick prayer without goin across tha ring

Wu Vatican

this thread was the 4th one that came up in a google search when "odd sports facts" was type in.

i find that pretty odd.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    this thread was the 4th one that came up in a google search when "odd sports facts" was type in.

i find that pretty odd.
    the search engines love me

Banned

Jews used to dominate in basketball...

I was particularly taken with the chapter, " The 'scheming flashy trickiness’ of Jews." This chapter covers the history of Jewish domination of basketball. Entine writes, that, "From 1918 to 1950, the South Philadelphia Hebrew Association, better known as the SPHAs, barnstormed across the East and Midwest, playing in a variety of semiprofessional leagues that were precursors to the modern game." Basketball was, and still is, an urban game, and a way out of the ghetto. For the Jewish superstars of the SPHAs, and many other teams, basketball was freedom from ethnic prejudice, including quotas in education and employment. Jewish boys became basketball stars the same way all sports heroes excel, practice, practice, practice. The Jewish community idolized these basketball "mavens". My mother has two cousins who were part of the Jewish basketball mythology of Philadelphia in the 1940s. For many years, their mother, my beloved Aunt Sarah, kept 8 by 10-inch photographs of each of them, in uniform and dribbling down court, on a table in the entryway to her house. The title of this chapter in Entine's book comes from the 1930s statement by sports writer Paul Gallico that Jews excel in basketball because of "…an alert, scheming mind, flashy trickiness, artful dodging and general smart aleckness." This opinion was popular throughout the period, as my mother's cousins were informed by an anti-Semitic spectator that Jews were good in basketball because they were "short and wirery" and could get under the taller gentile players to make shots.