Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * 'Tiger stripes' found on Saturn moon *

PHI.1.618

Lightbulb * 'Tiger stripes' found on Saturn moon *

It is located at the south pole of Enceladus, a moon with a diameter of just 310 miles.

The hot spot is unusual because it occurs at the pole, scientists said. Usually, the hottest part of any planet or moon is around the equator, as is the case with the Earth.

This suggests that the heat at Enceladus' southern pole is generated from within, said scientists from the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn and its moons.

But they acknowledged they had no idea how.

"It shouldn't be that warm," said John Spencer, one of the scientists working on the project.

"It's like flying past Antarctica and finding that it's warmer than the earth's equatorial regions. It's that strange."

Spencer, of the Southwest Research Institute in Colorado, the United States, is one of a group of scientists examining data sent back to earth from the Cassini spacecraft, which was launched in 1997 to examine Saturn.

The spacecraft has flown past Enceladus three times -- most recently on July 14.

The scientists expected to find that the temperature was around 80 degrees Kelvin (-193 degrees Celsius, -316 degrees Fahrenheit) at its hottest point, which they assumed would be near the equator.

Instead, they found that the heat was concentrated at the south pole, where the temperature hit 91 degrees Kelvin near a series of fissures, or "tiger stripes" on the moon's surface.

"It is an extremely conspicuous hot region," Spencer told a news conference. "Something is different about that area."

The scientists have come up with two theories to explain the hot spot. The first is that the heat comes from decaying radioactive material below the moon's surface and the second is that it is caused by gravitational tides.

But they say neither theory adequately explains the heat.

"We don't have anything we could call a complete hypothesis yet," said Torrence Johnson from NASA, which is working on the project alongside the European and Italian space agencies.

The team says the hot spot suggests there might be volcanoes and geysers on Enceladus.

If this is true, it would be one of only three "active" moons known to man. The others are Io, which orbits Jupiter, and Triton, which circles Neptune.

The Cassini spacecraft has been sending spectacular images back from Saturn, its rings and its moons since last year, when it reached the planet. It also launched a probe which landed on the surface of Titan, another of Saturn's 31 known moons.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/08/30/m...reut/index.html

* How amazing is this? I mean, 70-80 degrees...wow!

Default Re: * 'Tiger stripes' found on Saturn moon *

gay thread

PHI.1.618

Quote Originally Posted by froth
    gay thread
    you know what they say about ppl that say "gay" alot don't you? lol... Yo admins, get this redneck on check!

gay thread

PHI.1.618

LMFAO! Are you really 30?

naw im 5

lol when i seen this i wanted to say "i bet i can find a red dot on Jupitar"
    lol, but yeh man, thats some shit right there.....actually its perdicted when the sun grows bigger then now, and adventually ingulps earth, one of saturs 20+ or even 30+ moons will be livable, i forget which one exactly, but yeh, it will be livable

Prince Rai

Quote Originally Posted by Intellekt
    lol when i seen this i wanted to say "i bet i can find a red dot on Jupitar"
    lol, but yeh man, thats some shit right there.....actually its perdicted when the sun grows bigger then now, and adventually ingulps earth, one of saturs 20+ or even 30+ moons will be livable, i forget which one exactly, but yeh, it will be livable
    the sun is one fear for the earths fate.. but what about a black hole which lingers near our galaxy??

thats even more powerful and is also growing

PHI.1.618

Sun won't gobble us up for a billion years, what interests me about this is that the whole planet is shit frozen yet this spot is earth-like. We can actually live there....

Walk Like a Warrior blackwisdom's Avatar

Thanks for the info.

"Read everything, listen to everybody, don't trust anything unless you can prove it with your research." - William "Bill" Cooper
    Myspace Libradio Prison Radio/Mumia Fourty-Two/Seven

I'll Fuck You Up TeknicelStylez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Princerai
    the sun is one fear for the earths fate.. but what about a black hole which lingers near our galaxy??

TEK > Black Holes + Global Warming

What you think of that inequality

Thats crazy though, theirs a couple of unexplained shit goin down in the universe alot of scientists can't figure out nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Princerai

wow, your gonna be shock when i tell you this....

our galaxy is a black hole, in the center of every galaxy theres a MASSIVE and STRONG black whole, taht holds everything together, our solar system resides on the out edge of the galaxy orbiting the black hole, going up and down up and down, and we're like in the hot zone when u go thru the center cause thats where all the astroids and shit is, and there isnt a living breathing planet near teh center cause any plante there is going thru hell ltteraly cause they keep gettin bombarded by comets and astroids and meteors, and b4 our sun blows up, theres another galaxy called adramada thats the closest to the milky that their gonna colide b4 our sun gets the chance to die, lol, so theres gonna be 2 big massive black holes bassically having a tug of war, pulling and circleing around each other for millions of years till they finally merg to a new and even BIGGER BLACK HOLE AND GALAXY, if our planet is still here by the time adramada gets close, we will be able to see it in the sky coming to destroy and rip everything apart , but regardless i still say an apacolypse is going to be our doing and by 'our' i mean the human race

I'll Fuck You Up TeknicelStylez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intellekt
    wow, your gonna be shock when i tell you this....

our galaxy is a black hole, in the center of every galaxy theres a MASSIVE and STRONG black whole, taht holds everything together, our solar system resides on the out edge of the galaxy orbiting the black hole, going up and down up and down, and we're like in the hot zone when u go thru the center cause thats where all the astroids and shit is, and there isnt a living breathing planet near teh center cause any plante there is going thru hell ltteraly cause they keep gettin bombarded by comets and astroids and meteors, and b4 our sun blows up, theres another galaxy called adramada thats the closest to the milky that their gonna colide b4 our sun gets the chance to die, lol, so theres gonna be 2 big massive black holes bassically having a tug of war, pulling and circleing around each other for millions of years till they finally merg to a new and even BIGGER BLACK HOLE AND GALAXY, if our planet is still here by the time adramada gets close, we will be able to see it in the sky coming to destroy and rip everything apart , but regardless i still say an apacolypse is going to be our doing and by 'our' i mean the human race
    Damn I wouldve liked to see a galaxy crashing into ours, shit wouldve been gangsta.

Anyway post some sources on this info.

its all theory, diddnt they mention that when they came up with the string theory to denouch relativity in a way?

pretty much everything is an anomlie in space, its not easily accesible to physically go to another galaxy or the outer realm, everything bar actual samples from landings is guesswork and estimations

i gaurentee (unlike religious theories) that scientific theories on space will change when technology gets better as more is proved and old shit disproved

Prince Rai

Quote Originally Posted by TeknicelStylez
    Damn I wouldve liked to see a galaxy crashing into ours, shit wouldve been gangsta.

Anyway post some sources on this info.
    lol gangsta 4 sure :P

man but i can feel that we are balanced through a blak hole..
    though while dats our balance.. our galaxy itself is mastered by the sun for the moment

all i was suggesting was that the end for our planet does not necesarily mean the engulfing of the earth into the sun..rather a black hole which may interrupt our balance of galaxy..

peace n blessingz