Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Beatmaking" in hip hop has stagnated and hit a brick wall

^^^^^^^very smart. you can get some singer's 4 second shit from Sweden or Russia or Turkey, loop it and combine it with some other shit and no lawyer or agent could find its origin.

that's why i cut all kinds of samples from all kinds of music so i can improve my originality.

fuck you BMG, Universal and Sony.
    Last edited by SL33; 05-11-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

I do believe two producers are still inventing new ways - Edan and El-P...just elevating and trying new stuff. Who's with me .... the threadstarter is right tho, but we should get the message to the people that make music.

I don't know how can some rap legends have such idiotic taste in music. It just isn't fair to the listeners, haha. I'm making my album for almost a year now, and I don't want any faggity beats, nahmean? Who will listen to me otherwise...the beat IS the first thing everybody notice.

Also, RZA used to have fun [InStereo, Supreme Clientele], so when he was making Digi Snax I was expecting shit like that.......we all saw what we got :/ and it wasn't the beats, it was the lyrics!! The Wu used to be so original and never cared, were never scared of being original, they just were...where has that gone?
    bring back begongo!!

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

^most of the best rappers dont listen to hip hop. thats what makes them good.

thats one thing alot of people have to remember.

its healthy so often to take a forced step back and listen to alot of other music genres from all over the world, and then come back to hip hop with a purer vision of music, and not just taking hip hop as hip hop , but taking hip hop as music, and see if it still stands up.

the real shit will, the fake shit wont.

BASS lines.
    producers that peaked in '90 had keyboard-played bass' on some 1-2-1-2-1-2-3-4 thing which was simple, but effective.

Kanye the Gayfish and RZA the Thea Lover have guitar players that put 15+ seconds bass lines like they have something to proove. This is not U2 man, wake the f up.

wtf??

violins on 8D????

and i don't know what's more corny: simplistic combo of 03 05 Dre beats or fake, backpacky shit from 07 08.

and i'm about 2 puke every time i hear computer (de)generated cracklings on 21st century rap songs.

First A-class producer that hit the wall was Premier. Fact.

5 star thread btw
    Last edited by SL33; 05-11-2009 at 01:00 PM.

also how can i forget dipset. i forgot tons of modern innovators, but not mentioning dipset is a crime.

the whole 'real hip hop' genre is just flat out stagnate, stop listening to that shit and step out of your comfort zone and you'll realize hip hop is as innovative as it was before, there's just more gay shit as well as more dope shit, the scale is bigger.

johnny johnny.

why have you started talking about innovation as if someone said hip hop doesnt innovate?

Hip Hop is the definition for innovation.

Hip Hop fans are too resistant to change.

They have such a limited interest in music.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    Hip Hop fans ....

They have such a limited interest in music.
    which is impossible if your a fan of classic 90s hip hop then by default your a fan of soul, jazz and funk you just probably dont even know it.

All you have to do is download sample sets of classic albums. So many hip hop songs were straight rips of classic old songs, that hip hop fans wouldnt look twice at.

Hip Hop through its samples is by far the most varied and eclectic music form ever in existence.

You misinterpreted me.

Sure, they have limited exposure to some soul, funk and rnb, but it's always in a clearly different form.

Enjoying soul won't ensure you enjoy hip hop, or visa verse.

respect

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    which is impossible if your a fan of classic 90s hip hop then by default your a fan of soul, jazz and funk you just probably dont even know it.

All you have to do is download sample sets of classic albums. So many hip hop songs were straight rips of classic old songs, that hip hop fans wouldnt look twice at.

Hip Hop through its samples is by far the most varied and eclectic music form ever in existence.
    C/S ^^ This is actually really true, I used to listen to almost strictly Hip-hop and then someone upped that Shaolin Soul mix and it totally opened my eyes. Since then I've really started to listen to other genres more.

All the shaolin soul volumes from 1-4 are awesome music.

Wu Tang was built on solid foundations with those samples, it couldnt be anything less than great. It took someone who had knowledge and access to all them old obscure records like RZA. Theres no producers out there now really who would have knowledge of all that old rare music.

actually producers used to really dig into music, and they were really into that shit they sampled, and always ready to do something new.

Rza was going to london often to buy some records and stuff.

I think that pure looping is one of the things that are really washed down.

IT can be great when sample is banging and not overused, but today in 2009.....

I always try to chop it up and create a whole new concept out of that piece of music when i'm sampling. It could be a ballad and i'm gonna try make it a banger when i chopp it up.

When you just loop some dope sample and create a banginig beat out just one or two loops, and in compare to some other stuff that you put much more work than just looping a sample and when you create some whole new concept, a whole new world of sounds you appreciate it much more than some wannabe club banger you made out of one loop or few notes you hit in your fruty loops. I think the producers here will understand what i'm saying

But bassically rza also done this shit numeorus shit...that's why he is one of the greatests....

And all that synthetical shit with light speed hi hats and snares is mega boring.

Quote Originally Posted by SL33 View Post
    BASS lines.
    producers that peaked in '90 had keyboard-played bass' on some 1-2-1-2-1-2-3-4 thing which was simple, but effective.

Kanye the Gayfish and RZA the Thea Lover have guitar players that put 15+ seconds bass lines like they have something to proove. This is not U2 man, wake the f up.

wtf??

violins on 8D????

and i don't know what's more corny: simplistic combo of 03 05 Dre beats or fake, backpacky shit from 07 08.

and i'm about 2 puke every time i hear computer (de)generated cracklings on 21st century rap songs.

First A-class producer that hit the wall was Premier. Fact.

5 star thread btw
    yupp, i'm feelin what you say...

i see ghostlace's point more, im concerned with just good material, but the impulse to do something like searching europe for samples isn't in hip hop anymore

though good material is still there, so i dont care.

Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    I do believe two producers are still inventing new ways - Edan and El-P...just elevating and trying new stuff. Who's with me .... the threadstarter is right tho, but we should get the message to the people that make music.

AGREED!

I think the crackdown on sampling and sample clearance issues are a HUGE part of the decline of hip-hop beats. How many dope beats have had to be "replayed" into some generic sounding wack shit or even worse have never seen the light of day?

Also, as someone else said. Alot of the people who make hip-hop now grew up listening to hip-hop so its pretty much a regurgitation of the old rhythms.
    Last edited by J-DON; 05-12-2009 at 01:40 AM.