Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "The DSM-IV: Inventing Mental Illness"

Veteran Member

To sum up, all I'm saying is that modern medicine does not address the causes of ailments, but treats their symptoms.

I believe research should go into finding causes to the problems you've mentioned. But then again, there is lots of money to be made by not finding causes and only treating symptoms.

name a modern medicine that does address the cause of ailments.
    I have a feeling you just attacking medicine (wow) without any real information on any real medicines for ailments worth attacking.

also if there's some with an unexplained mental illness that causes them to constantly hear a painful ringing in their head, that's wrong with treating that symptom?

what's wrong with treating any symptom? are they bad for trying to help a person live a more comfortable life?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    name a modern medicine that does address the cause of ailments.
    Are you dumb?

I've just told you 'modern medicine' does not address the cause of ailments, and now you are telling me to name a 'modern medicine' which addresses the cause of ailments.

Please re-read what I have wrote and your response to it to fully understand what you did not understand the first time!

also, mental illnesses are organic, or chemical, and are thus treated best with chemicals.
    anyways, though i believe that yes, therapy can be effective, i believe it should only serve as a subsidiary to medication (as is the commonly held, but still debated practice)

if there is a failure to reach a chemical set point needed to conduct 'normal behavior', then i don't see the problem is give the person whatever chemical they're deficient of, like with medication of any and all other illnesses, and because the brain is all chemcial and energy reactions i think that medication over therapy is key but therapy is still essential obviously, and should always be used.
    medication is nothing more than minerals and salts used to nudge one's chemical balance one way or another. if one were to get the minerals and salts needed from their diet as opposed to the pills u are so quick to pop then the "medication" being sold by the medical "professionals" (it's still a BUSINESS TO THEM, meditate on that) would not be needed.
    The therapy you are so quick to dismiss is merely guidance (from a QUALIFIED individual) that we all need. If our family structure was truly supportive then we would have this in our lives.

why?

if your body lacks dopamine cause you flat out can't produce it, why not take a tablet of it or a substance that will work as a catalysis for dopamine production?

i dare you to tell a person in deep dementia to meditate his way out of it, or that he's eating the wrong stuff.

diet effects mood, energy, and various other things that don't touch the tip of the iceberg for a schitzophrenic

a lot of people with mania have extraordinary eating a sleeping habits, wont stop him from buying everything green at JCPennys on his credit card. it's bigger then hip hop.
    even IF one were balanced in form and function, u must understand that we all have issues we need to work our in our own time/space, and part of our test is HOW we resolve these issues.

There is NO way I would let these so-called medical professionals dope my daughter up cuz they think she is "bi-polar" or ADHD, or any of these other so-called diseases. Would u allow them to drug you and your children and brainwash you?
    That's what you ask them to do with the meds and therapy....
    weep for lost babylon,
    the bleeding god, the forgotten sheep slaughtered in a forest of evil fog
    bordered by a sea of faults,
    fleeing mobs turn to see the holocaust and become kings and queens of salt
    screaming shots, police and chalk,
    wingless fallen demons walking among us as people...

-.5Kut

i can't wait till you get aids and someone tells you to eat better.

Well, this just happens to be the one topic that made me stop browsing and just create an account.

Quote Originally Posted by .5KutSkeleton View Post

There is NO way I would let these so-called medical professionals dope my daughter up cuz they think she is "bi-polar" or ADHD, or any of these other so-called diseases. Would u allow them to drug you and your children and brainwash you?
    That's what you ask them to do with the meds and therapy....
    Are you denying that such diseases exist? Or are you arguing with the diagnosis?
    Simply denying that any biological influences exist is a biased assumption.
    But, as Unknown-x said in a few posts above me, for certain illnesses, having a psychiatrist prescribe medication to merely reduce the severity of the symptoms is quite frankly very lackadaisical.
    I believe that medication is essential when you are certain that chemical imbalances etc. actually are directly CAUSING the maladaptive behaviors.
    There are so many different types mental disorders that not one type of treatment is necessarily more effective than another.

Why are you assuming that these illnesses can be reversed?

How have you come to the conclusion that by identifying the causes of schizophrenia you can some how just 'cure' it.

Quite frankly, you have no idea what you're talking about, and by using vague and imprecise terms such as "spirituality" this thread is quickly becoming a farce.

Which is a shame, because maybe there are serious problems with the way people are medicated today.

I guess it's easier to make an incorrect, sweeping generalisation, than to consider a middle ground.

Fucking imbeciles.

im not saying there's nothing wrong with medicine.

im saying diggy needs medicine.

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post

Fucking imbeciles.

calm down son

Veteran Member

The ones who ruin threads are always the same.

Veteran Member

Why are you assuming that these illnesses can be reversed?

How have you come to the conclusion that by identifying the causes of schizophrenia you can some how just 'cure' it.

If the individual did not have the illness at an earlier period of life, but acquired it later (in life), then attempting to reverse the illness is a reasonable response.

People develop schizophrenia over time. I have not heard of anyone born with it. So if it could be acquired, then again, it is reasonable to try to bring the person back to their normal (pre-schizoid) state.

Quite frankly, you have no idea what you're talking about, and by using vague and imprecise terms such as "spirituality" this thread is quickly becoming a farce.

Which is a shame, because maybe there are serious problems with the way people are medicated today.

I guess it's easier to make an incorrect, sweeping generalisation, than to consider a middle ground.

Fucking imbeciles.

Did you watch the video or did you come into this thread to DESTROY arguments out of hatred and anger?

People don't strictly develop Schizophrenia because of experience, in most cases there is a predisposition towards mental illness.

Again, you know nothing about mental illness and the treatment of it.

Your now trying to in a way make generalisations about schizophrenia and mental illness from ideas and observations which you have developed. Saying something like "
    it is reasonable to try to bring the person back to their normal (pre-schizoid) state." sounds fine, but it isn't based on anything.

No evidence, no logic... just an uneducated hunch which you have.

The videos posted present nothing worthy of debate as far as i can see.

Veteran Member

Why are you so negative?

Are you depressed, Pat?

Do you have mental illness?

i remember watching this video about a russian (maybe latvian) exorcist, and he explicit stated you have to be sure that the issue isn't a mental illness.

however, the news report said a nurse from a mental institution watched him lay hands on a schizophrenic and cure it.