1 16.67%

Thread: Pete Rock - Soul Survivor II

Default Pete Rock - Soul Survivor II

01. Truth Is (Black Ice)
    02. We Good (Kardinal Offishal)
    03. Just Do It (Pharoahe Monch)
    04. Give It To Ya (Little Brother)
    05. It's The Postaboy (Postaboy)
    06. It's A Love Thing (Pete Rock & CL Smooth)
    07. One MC & One DJ (Mad Skillz)
    08. Beef (Krumbsnatcha)
    09. No Tears (Leela James)
    10. Head Rush (RZA & The GZA/Genius)
    11. Fly Till I Die (Pete Rock & CL Smooth ft. Talib Kweli)
    12. Warzone (Dead Prez)
    13. Da Villa (Slum Village)
    14. Niggaz Know (J Dilla)
    15. Appreciate (Pete Rock & CL Smooth)

PRODUCED BY PETE ROCK

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

i cant lie, i love pete, but i copped this the day it came out, and i was so dissapointed i dont think ive listened to it again since the week it came out.

i remember thinking it was really, REALLY wack. im not gonna search it out unless someone can provide proof I was wrong.

^^ i remember the first time i bumped this in my mp3-player and couldn't even make it through the whole thing lol.. i've picked it up anyway a while later just to complete the PR discography and this shit is hot man, definitely a grower. in a way it's more focused than "Soul Survivor" because it doesn't have 2-5 guest artists on every other joint, it's just a PR beat with ONE MC or one group spitting flames. +Pete ain't even rhyming himself on this one, and i doubt anyone buys a Rock LP on the strenght of his verses.

The sound is very broad and based on both obscure and well-known funk, jazz, soul and pop samples. There are a few cuts that i ain't too crazy about but bangers like "Give it To Ya", "Da Villa", "Head Rush", "One MC & One DJ", "WarZone" and 3 reunion cuts w/ CL makes up for it. The intro from Black Ice is fucking wild too. I advice you to re-visit this one Laced.

4/5

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

INSANE!!

...just a sample

-

I don't agree with Ghostlaced often but i agree with him about Pete's album. Soul Survivor 2 does suck because of wack beats. He has some good rappers on there but the beats weren't good. I think the first Soul Survivor is way better. I haven't heard his NY's Finest album yet. I wanna hear that. I heard a song from that album this week called Till I Retire and i didn't like it. Isn't Redman on that song? I thought i saw his name on the tracklisting for that song. CL Smooth needs to make up with Pete Rock because CL's American Me album sucked because of the beats. He should've had Pete do all the beats on the album.

Veteran Member

Pete & CL hate each other, even Pete said "Dont ask me about CL no more" in a video from one of his concerts. Pete himself didnt like SS2, he knew it wasnt his best piece of work, that was when he switched over to the MPC

am i the only one who thought that production-wise, this was superior to soul survivor I? I thought the first one was kind of generic, jazzy 90s new york stuff, ss2 was alot more versatile really. i think some weak lyrical performances makes it appear inferior, but i loved the production work here.

06. It's A Love Thing (Pete Rock & CL Smooth)

this beat is so fucking smooth!

Average 3-5

-

This album sucked and the first Soul Survivor is a classic. I like Tru Master song he did with Inspectah Deck and Kurupt. Kurupt's lyrics sucked LOL. Props to Pete for sampling Jeru The Damaja's Come Clean, EPMD's So Whatcha Sayin, OC's My World and Notorious Big's Unbelievable on Tru Master. Pete should've never rapped because he sucks hahahahahahahaha. He needs to stick to producing and scratching turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.