• Mediocre

6 6.52%
  • Wack

6 6.52%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Method man & redman-blackout! 2 review

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Thumbs up

honestly, i like this one better for the most part.
    granted it doesn't have timeless songs like the original did, but other than those few timeless songs i really didn't like the sound of the original blackout. atleast not the production. then again that could be a biased opinion since i dont like alot of that millennium sounding hip hop, i don't think chronic 01 is even that great.
    anyways, yeah there aren't really any song on BO2 that i'd label timeless except maybe "dis iz 4 all my smokers" but the album itself is more consistent with just a good, chill, smoker's record.
    so i may like it more, so IMO i prefer it, but maybe "better" isn't the best word to use since both records are great in their own right.
    def one of my favorite hip hop releases of the year thus far.

One of the worst albums of 09 so far. This album left me feeling cold.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

4.3/5

what said in the method man back tattoos

what tattoos got mef in his back

i've only listened to it a handful of times, but im loving the album for some reason. gave it a banger rating. its definitly not the first; but it has its moments. both of good and bad. some of the beats sounded the same, and some of their flows sounded the same when you know red and meth steady are switchin that up.

01. Bo2 (Intro)
    Very Wu-Tang sounding opening with blasting sirens, live-chants and vintage vocal samples coupled with tight drum work courtesy of Mathematics. This works perfect as introduction to the album.
    8.5/10

02. I'm Dope Nigga
    Another heavy beat courtesy of Havoc, real thumping bassline and both MC's go in hard on this one. Method Man has stepped up majorly since the "4:21" album.
    8.5/10

03. A-Yo (ft. Saukrates)

This one's catched alot of mixed opinions on this board, personally i think it's real hot. It got a nice summervibe to it and although the hook is a lil cheesy i often find myself singing along to it lol and Redman's "she like Red so cool, Any nigga after me, it's a deja vu" is fucking brilliant.
    8/10

04. Dangerous Emcees
    This is probably the song on the album that's most vintage Red N Meth, as it is a dark and funk-laced production from Eric Sermon. It is pretty short but might be my favorite song on the whole album, i wish they would have got some more Sermon bangers for the LP. The MC's display a raw chemistry, showing they haven't lost a step since last go-around and their voices and styles definitely compliments eachother.
    9/10

05. Errbody Scream

Weird beat that keeps switching the tempo between verses and hook, it works aight. Keith Murray does a good guestspot and Method Man kills it with his delivery. 7/10

06. Hey Zulu
    This is just decent, i'm not too fond of the beat - a little too many things going on in there, don't know what the fuck happened to Rockwilder. I bet this joint would work good in a club though and lyrically it's strong as can be expected from these 2 vets.
    6/10

07. City Lights
    The duo's taking us down south with this one and brings in Bun B to compliment them, i'm really feeling this collaboration - maybe not the type of production you would expect to hear on the album but either way all three MC's deliver and Redman even fucks a little with the autotune. Redman smashes this song.
    8/10

08. Fathers Day
    More good shit, this beat also got some Wu-Tang flavor to it and even a sample of someone going "this bounce is for all my Wu-Tang motherfuckas in the hosue tonight" and a vocal-sample cut in before the loop repeats. Method Man flows smooth over this one, shit like this is created for his voice but lyrically i'd give the edge to Redman - he gotta be the king of one-liners or something lol. "Soon as I, pick up my pen, I begin my flow, I close my eyes then write rhymes in a Blackout mode".
    9/10

09. Ms. International
    Smooth summer-vibe song that's the most radio-friendly song on the album, nevertheless it's real fucking good although i know alot of y'all hate on anything that's commercial. It's basically a dedication to all the beautiful ladies and Mef always been good on these type of jams.
    8/10

10. How Bout Dat?
    Not feeling the beat to much on this and neither StreetLife or Ready Roc managed to impress me much with there features. It's not wack but definitely nothing special or memorable either.
    6/10

11. Dis iz 4 All My Smokers
    Aaaah, greatness being represented here - the duo gets blunted and share tales of their beloved herb over one of the sickest beats on the whole album. DJ Scratch uses the strings in a similair way to older RZA productions and this is definitely the smokers anthem of 2009. My favorite verse here goes to Method Man's first where he speaks on how he first got hooked; Yup, I'm that hood, my brother, love me some Cali kush "Never thought that little bush in that baggie would have me hooked, I'm a pothead, everyone look, and point your fingers At the bad guys, with the cottonmouths and glass eyes".
    9/10

12. Four Minutes to LockDown
    Method Man, Redman with Raekwon and Ghostface Killah?? two of hip-hop's heaviest duo's meet on this joint over a hectic beat from underrated producer Bink Dog and all get their shine on - i like how Meth throws out the "next to RZA, ain't no nigga better than the group" line in here but the illest verse award has to go to Ghost who lay down another one of his trademark stories about a bitch getting pulled over by the cops and finding some firearms; ""That's my fathers, And I'm licensed to carry those shits regardless, Ya'll just played my man, caught her with a million dollars Worth of fireworks, coming back from Japan. It's nothing, ya'll police be fronting And stop looking at my pussy, like ya'll want to suck it". Haha classic.
    9/10

13. Neva Heard Dis B4
    I wasn't feeling this song much the first times i heard it but it definitely has grown on me with each listen, it's not at all as vintage Sermon as "Dangerous MC's" but production is still nice. "nights like this, I bring the pain - Introducing the 11th member of Wu-Tang, Liu Kang, Doc spittin', fire out the palms" spit Redman with his trademark flow while Mef spits heat like "I don't do tight tees or flip flops, been a goon since the womb And my dad had that heroin bone chain with the spoon". 7.5/10

14. I Know Sumpthn
    Wack party-track that should be left of the album, might have some dope lyrics but the beat and chorus is giving me a big headache.
    2/10

15. A Lil' Bit
    The album closes with another joint more aimed at the clubs than the hardcore followers and although it's alot better than the previous song the album should have ended with something more memorable. Method Man and Redman do work good over tracks like this but this is quite dissapointing and leaves a sour taste in your mouth after finnishing the whole LP front-to-back.
    5/10

Most of the songs on "Blackout 2" is very solid material and lyrically Method Man and Redman balances off eachothers styles, flows and voices to perfection. Redman is as dope as ever and this is (together with his work on "8 Diagrams") the best prestation from Mef since "Tical 2000". Some of the production sounds out-of-place and could succesfully have been replaced with more traditional beats for the duo to rhyme over but nevertheless it's a solid effort from hip-hops most blunted.

Lyrics: 4.5/5
    Beats: 3.5/5
    Overall: 4/5

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

this album is really good, you dont need to look at it very serious, its just Mef & Red having fun, i loves this album, im listening to it right now little drunk and i love it, "this is 4 all my smokers" is a classic cut!
    Stay Off The F*&?%$' Flowers

-

I finally heard it last weekend and it sucks. I'm not surprised either because the first Blackout isn't good.