Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Basement Dwellaz: Depths of Darkness - Free DL

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Dope review! Much appreciated.

I don't have much else recorded in terms of vocals, but here's a link to a verse I did at a local university early last year. Sound quality isn't the greatest because the equipment in the studio was wack, but its worth a listen.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/61205641c8bf4f32/
    noyzhiphop.bandcamp.com
    twitter.com/noyzhiphop

s9 repppin shun hit me up next project i got beats for u!

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    s9 repppin shun hit me up next project i got beats for u!
    smh

don't even comment on the joint but you find it okay to peddle your garbage beats in the post, lol, absolutely zero class...like most cornballs on the internet

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

Glad to be a part of this, thanks Bronze.
    I think the artwork reflects the sound of the music, and with it being your debut:
    The front cover almost welcomes you into the "Depths Of Darkness"
    And the back shows you what is down there.

(I may have a slightly different copy than the one posted
    so please bear that in mind in terms of the order of the Emcees on some tracks)

Intro:

This is my kind of Intro, real poetic
    The emotion of the guy's voice speaking is cold
    And with the high pitch of the female singing is a perfect match.
    Reminds me a touch of a Jedi Mind Tricks album intro.
    Never the less, it sets off the album very well.
    And the ending is incredible :
    Speaking on how the people are captured from merely listening to words
    I like that.

Fields Of War:

Another yet shorter Movie Sample sets the dive of the piano up well.
    I like how Menes almost stumbles along with the beat
    Which is both dark and light, dark when the rhymes are being spat
    And light when the hook comes in.
    Bronze got a clockwork flow on here too.

Tale Of Arthur:

I said before that ArchAngel is sick, and this only strengthens that statement
    The beat is DOPE and he calculatingly jooks it.
    As a solo, it breaks up the tracks nicely as well.

Lions And Wolves:

Noyz went deep with this beat.
    Bronze, you and Menes are a great match
    Passing the mic back and forth with a constant rhythm.
    Complimenting eachother very well, like this one alot.

Poetic Gems:

It's good how Menes seems to be becoming the instigator
    He sets this erie slow beat off, and what follows is masterful, props Noyz
    That chicks voice is sinister with the beat, really feeling that.
    Bronze, you sound comfortable on this, your flow is precise.

"I Have Seen Hell, At A Glance
    Me And The Lady Of, Death Almost Had A Dance"

Killed it with that Bronze.
    ArchAngel finnishes it off ILL as well with his faster approach
    (all be it not to a great degree on here)
    Gives a great diversity to the track and group
    As Menes and Bronze almost gel together at times
    This might be my favourite track on the album.
    Take a bow Noyz.

Never Enough:

The loudest beat so far, but still dope, unawre of how dope it would become
    And...on cue: Menes does his thing
    He really goes in on this one, especially near the end of his verse.
    Nice beat switch as ArchAngel steps on, the contrast is again dope
    From the emphasis of Menes to the quick strikes of ArchAngel
    And finally finnishing with Bronze, who sounds more at home on this more quicker beat-
    Cue another beat switch, each Emcee getting their own beat.

Thanks for the shoutout Bronze.

Interlude:

An erie constantly changing beat with a man telling a tale of legend.
    I always wonder where all these producers get all these sick movie samples ?
    Nice interlude...

Into Darkness:

Another element of funk introduced now...
    With Menes & Bronze once again going back and forth
    You seem to bring out the best in eachother, a good combo.
    This is a nice switch from the main feel of the album
    But mainly beatwise as the lyrics are still dark & dope.

BDZ & PCP Infected:

The posse cut, and this is another contender with my favourite track on the album
    Noyz drops a soulful and harmonous beat with the vein being a steady violin
    And Skampoe, with his ill voice sounds nasty over it
    Quickly followed by Menes with his "out of breathe style" bounces to this very well
    Bronze, again sounding better on this faster beat in my opinion drops a dope verse
    And coming in after Menes adds to the constant flow of the track.
    J-Solo rips it, the fresh voice on the album works well
    But ArchAngel ain't playing around I swear, he OWNED this track
    Jigsaw 45 finnishes it off professionaly with a sick verse too.

Pagoda Of Lost Hope:

Noyz showing his range again, with a snake-charmer type beat
    Menes drops a serous verse, and ArchAngel with his faster style breaks the track up well
    Bronze, serious bro, this is a nasty verse you got on here, sounded silly with the beat
    Props.

One For The Road

Another really cool beat, which starts off soft and slowly gathers pace
    Where Menes again comes in and builds up as the beat does, he chews it.
    Followed by Bronze with the clockwork flow throwing a short dart
    And what is this ? another new voice, dope way to sign off the album
    Hearing the guy who blessed all the beats on here finnishing it off
    Thats a nice touch.

Outro:

Dull piano loop brought to life by the girl's brief vocals
    Fits the theme well, and then that beautiful record crackle...
    The Intro beat, which is ridiculous gets torn to shreads by a hype Bronze Feet.

In closing :

I'm very impressed, the Production is incerdible, honestly, Noyz got skills.
    And as for Basement Dwellaz, a well balanced group with 3 dope Emcees.
    ArchAngel is just sick to me, to have honed his skill like that so early is just ill.
    Menes is definatly dope as well, I like how he speaks with alot of emotion
    And the "out of breath style" I mentioned.
    I think he's the most natural spitting out the 3.
    And Bronze, I'm very impressed man, your chemistry with Menes is dope
    (are you related ?) and the way you speak with little emotion divides the group well
    Bronze, some of your verses were of a real high standard.
    What impressed me most though was your range, which I hold high
    As well as the 2 collabo's with Menes, I was especially feeling :

Poetic Gems
    Never Enough
    Pagoda Of Lost Hope

Great work Basement Dwellaz and Noyz.
    Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 06-12-2009 at 10:44 AM.

PEACE whers!!

Thanks for the dope review, im glad you liked and thanks again for all the Art work you did, very much appreciated. Now let me know when you get that mic and you can join in with slaughter lol.

Peace

Pioneer Of Cerebral Music The Prime Sithesizah's Avatar

Not too many albums have heavy drums and nice tunes and excellent lyricism to back it all up.. I feel like this album could've been mixed better but overall.. well constructed if listened to carefully.. each track follows the next.. the production was HARD.. the emceeing was NICE.. outside of the mixing, this album was strong and eerie.. the cover and everything.. just dark and all.. enjoyed this album to the fullest. lol but this isnt necessarily my review.. Im gonna drop that next time Im on.. PiiDeaCe!
    The Prime Sithesizah [Facebook/Myspace]

Quote Originally Posted by sinapse View Post
    smh

don't even comment on the joint but you find it okay to peddle your garbage beats in the post, lol, absolutely zero class...like most cornballs on the internet
    repped

*not that it matters lol*

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Quote Originally Posted by The Prime Sithesizah View Post
    Not too many albums have heavy drums and nice tunes and excellent lyricism to back it all up.. I feel like this album could've been mixed better but overall.. well constructed if listened to carefully.. each track follows the next.. the production was HARD.. the emceeing was NICE.. outside of the mixing, this album was strong and eerie.. the cover and everything.. just dark and all.. enjoyed this album to the fullest. lol but this isnt necessarily my review.. Im gonna drop that next time Im on.. PiiDeaCe!
    Much appreciated. I was in a pretty shitty state of mind for the months when I made these beats, but I also find I make some of my better music during those times. Whers, respect on the feedback. The artwork came out dope and matched the music perfectly.
    noyzhiphop.bandcamp.com
    twitter.com/noyzhiphop

Peace Noyz

Just saying props on the work you put in for the beats, much respect and we will be gettin at you soon for more work

Intro: Nice little mellow joint to set the tone of the album and ease the the ear gently

Field Of War: Beat is sick!! really feeling the haunting piano samps over the rugged old school drum loop. Menes sets it off nice with a simple but effective hook and a nice verse. Archangel's verse just doesnt work for me here it sounds like hes rhyming to another beat and never seems to quite sit in the pocket of this one. Bronze has defentaly shown signs of improvement here since I last heard him, hitting the drums much better and using much better cadence

Tale Of Arthur: Only thing that keeps me from not skipping this track is the beat if Im honest, the beat is dope but the mixing is a little off to my ear in perticular the drums seem a bit distant. Im really not feeling arch angel tho to be honest, his rhymes are good but his delivery and flow is meh and not very comfortable to listen to!!! I do like the way Bronze adds to the little hook and breaks up the track a little bit.

Lions And Wolves: Def a stand out track here, Beat is sickness the strings and rugged drums work perfectly together, same again could be a lil better mixed but thats a minor!! Bronze sets it off with probably the best work I have ever heard from him, hitting the drums nicley and flowing much better although still a lilttle off in places its a vast improvement!! the back and forths is dope and menes probably dropped some of his best work on here also but there was some dubious pauses in places that shows he also needs to work on his breath control. overall this joint was a banger....... mad props!!

Poetic Gems: The beat is nice but I could live with out the little vocal sample but over all the beat sets a nice tone. The vocals are nice all round and well writen but to me theres room to improve here!! What you have all done is slowed down the tempo of your normal steeze to match the slow tempo of the beat but what you all failed to do was get right in the pocket of the beat, this is mainly due to lack of emotion in your voices IMO, although I do feel that menes was much less guilty of this. Its a nice track all round and its well writen but it just lacks emotion as I say

Never Enough: Probably my least fav beat on the album I think, its not shit or anything but I do find it a bit repetative for the type of beat its is. Menes was real strong on this one, he has a real dope voice to listen to but sometimes he is very clear and pops on the mic a lot but on this joint he was much clearer and his flow and breath control was much more in the pocket. If archangel rapped like this on every joint I would find him much better to listen too!!! He is much more in the pocket and sounds much more natural with a change to his normal flow and also his verse is very well written!!! Another solid verse from bronze IMO a bit off due to breath control in places but its a strong preformance overall!!

Interlude: nice little break in the middle and an interesting listen

Into Darkness: Beat is sickness, got a real nice funky vibe to it!!! Bronze and menes are real dope on this, a real good mix job would benifit this joint greatlty cos the mix is a bit meh and takes away from a great chemestry between you both!!!! that being said the chem shines thru regardless and its a great track thats a lot of fun to listen too!!!

BDZ & PCP Infected: Aaah the posse cut, the beat is sick def one of my favs (I remember when you dropped this in the booth actually), it has lots of great energy to it which is key for a posse cut like this!! everyone came nice!!! PCP was a nice edition and came dope, j solo was a bit commercial sounding but still pretty good for a youngster!!

Pagoda Of Lost Hope: nice beat, a dope merging of huanting flute loops over rugged drums and bass. vocally I think this was one of the weeker joints but im fully aware its one of your first joints and a lot of the issues here are mixing!! but the great thing about this track is it shows how far you have all come in a short space of time!!

One For The Road: Nice epic sounding beat with a sick bass line and nice drums, the switch is sickness as well!!! Menes set this off really well everything sounds just right, flow, breath control etc. bronze dropped a dope verse too, sounds a little muffled but i think thats a mix or mic issue. Noyz was a nice suprise being the producer for the album and coming thru with a sick verse!!

Outro: really nice huanting loop again, sets a real dope vibe but I think it would of been better if you cut it at around the one min mark!!

the hidden track is dope, great beat and nice verse from bronze, the switch where Menes comes in is super sickness!!! and the little scratch samps are dope too!! Menes also drops a nasty verse.

props all round guys, I have to say this a much better quality product then I was expecting for your debut!!! You guys have shown great improvement all round from the beats to the rhymes!! The biggest flaw is the mixing on both the beats and the rhymes but that takes a long time to master and for the time you have in the game you did a solid job!!! I think the next project will be even sicker cos by then your gonna have much better flow and breath control and hopefully mixing skills, so the only way is up lol

props guys, keep elevating!!

Much Respect 7th for the review, lots of useful advice in there, in the end i hope you enjoyed it and we will take everything from all the reviews we get and bring it to the next project.

Like you said only way is up, we about to raise out of the darkness on the next one lol

PEace

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    Much Respect 7th for the review, lots of useful advice in there, in the end i hope you enjoyed it and we will take everything from all the reviews we get and bring it to the next project.

Like you said only way is up, we about to raise out of the darkness on the next one lol

PEace

yeah man I enjoyed it, its a fun album all round, props bronze!!!

Peace to my man Sheepish Lord for the review, heres the link it was psoted up in the Hip Hop Shop

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78295

Big ups to him again, this is going to get published hopefully

Peace

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Testimonial from producer Sikh Knowledge, who produced a few tracks for Shabazz on 'Passion of the Hood Christ':

"I got to say, Im floored by the way im transported to my days listening to sunz of man, royal fam, gravediggaz, shabazz, killarmy, and jedi mind when im listening to your shit.

The production is classic man....you have a sound right now. It's dark, and its not the midi heavy shit that comes out these days."
    noyzhiphop.bandcamp.com
    twitter.com/noyzhiphop

props man major props!

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!