Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WTC Book Club.

Yeah?

A friend told me the movie wasn't great and i have read that the book is good.

American Psycho, having enjoyed the book a lot, was a very good book to movie adaptation.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Currently reading Physics of the Impossible hardback (new book from michio kaku), and Cosmic Imagery. Cosmic imagery is the shit.

a friend also recently reccomended this book to me (http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...400044115.html) as one of the best books he read in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    Yeah?

A friend told me the movie wasn't great and i have read that the book is good.

American Psycho, having enjoyed the book a lot, was a very good book to movie adaptation.
    the movie is great, your friend's crazy lol

scanner darkly could've done with a better overall visual aesthetic for something that should be 'urban dystopian science fiction' but as far as distilling the plot, character and ideas of the book with only minimal loss of information (and no scenes of particular importance to the plot) it did a great job. it's also probably one of the best philip k dick novels (who i was a huge fan of until i got older and started to suspect he was a bit racist lol, and by that i mean there are numerous instances where black people are treated unflatteringly that i didn't really notice reading his stuff when i was like 12-14 but now i pick up on it and bothers me, same with hp lovecraft who i now know really hated blacks and jews; how could you be a visionary in some respects and then be a complete idiot bastard in others is a mystery to me)

ghostlaced, is cosmic imagery also by kaku? i read hyperspace when i was in high school in that was amazing.

let's save this thread people

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

no cosmic imagery is just a cool book to have. its nicely made and presented, just goes through loads of the most important images in science through history. you have to see it really lol, its alot more interesting than it sounds.

So uh, I finished the book a few days ago. What happens now?

So uh, sorry for the late response Noel, but i got banned and stuff.

Um, so yeah, good read...

Steve Urkel

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    Good idea, but i dont think ill be participating, im not that much of a reader. Currently im reading "Cant Stop Wont Stop : A History of the hip-hop generation", its a great read, but the only books i really read are about music or films or that.

The last novel i read was "The Lord of the Rings" when i was 14 and it took me over two years to read, and i still didnt get it anyways near finished, so im not that much of a reader.
    2 years ... ?

It took me like two weeks, and I wasn't even trying

Two Weeks

^^^i know...2 years...how can you keep track of everything over that length of time? the books aren't even written in a complex manner either conceptually or in terms of style...fellowship is a bit rough to get through because it's so boring and repetitive imo, but two towers and return of the king are compulsive reading imo...i had difficulty putting them down.

Steve Urkel

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    ^^^i know...2 years...how can you keep track of everything over that length of time? the books aren't even written in a complex manner either conceptually or in terms of style...fellowship is a bit rough to get through because it's so boring and repetitive imo, but two towers and return of the king are compulsive reading imo...i had difficulty putting them down.
    Yeah I agree with you fellowship was kinda boring there were some parts I just left for days at a time but that almost never happened in Two Towers or ROTK

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post
    So uh, sorry for the late response Noel, but i got banned and stuff.

Um, so yeah, good read...
    Yeah, it was awesome. I don't really remember it too well now though, lolz. I was really into it though, as I always am with his books. They're such fluent reading. I love the feeling of detachment and indifference that his characters seem to have regarding events and relationships in their lives. Also really enjoyed the varying and sometimes completely opposite assessments of certain situations or relationships, from character to character. And it was fun how he brought in characters from some of his other books, like Pat Bateman and the dude from Less Than Zero. I always enjoy when authors do that. All in all the book seemed fairly pointless, much in the same way that I thought Less Than Zero, which is very much in the same vein as this book, seemed quite pointless. But it made for exceptionally enjoyable and entertaining reading.